PDA

View Full Version : Crying Statue

Jiro
04-07-2009, 09:23 AM
In reference to Seto. When you pass through the Cave of the Gi, you come to the ledge that Seto is on. I've always wondered whether he is actually alive in there. That whole scene is vague.

For example, Bugenhagen says that Seto and Nanaki's mother told him to close the door to the cave. But didn't she die in the attack?

And Seto "continues to protect them to this day". How does a petrified person do that, exactly?

Thoughts on this scene in general?

Unstoppable Pig
04-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Seto is dead and petrified and it is his spirit that continues to protect the valley. Remember those enemies were spirit-like creatures. Also Nanakis mother may have later died because of her wounds so she says it before she dies.

I think that scene is very good, one of the best in FF games. Mainly because it has awesome music and Red XIII is one of my favorite characters and this is nice character development scene. You donīt see this great scenes in X or XII.

Jessweeee♪
04-07-2009, 06:01 PM
I thought his tears were materia the first time I played and I tried to go get it :(

champagne supernova
04-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Seto could have told Bugenhagen to close the door before he went through it, i.e. "Close this door behind me and don't open it."

That was an amazing scene. VII really did have some very special moments that the PS2 generation seemed to lack.

Loony BoB
04-09-2009, 02:06 PM
I have to say that is the most moving scene I ever saw on a video game, actually.

CimminyCricket
04-09-2009, 02:14 PM
If the statue was crying, wouldn't that mean that he was still alive? Especially for it to have happened at a moment such as that with Red?

Loony BoB
04-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Personally am of the belief that petrification doesn't mean death, just being set in stone. When a player is petrified, they keep their health - they just are inable to move. If all three players are petrified it's game over despite players being fully alive, as none of them can do anything to help the other.

Since Red XIII's species have a particularly long lifespan, I imagine he would, indeed, be still alive - thus making the scene all the more incredibly moving.

EDIT: And I also personally believe Soft can only be used within minutes/hours of a petrification, hence they couldn't just cop out and free him using one of those. :p

Quindiana Jones
04-09-2009, 02:23 PM
They should get some Supersoft from Dr. Tot.

Rantz
04-09-2009, 02:37 PM
They should get some Supersoft from Dr. Tot.

Truer words were never spoken. :D

DarkBahamut
04-09-2009, 03:39 PM
I don't think Seto is dead. I think he's just like FF9 in the Petrified Forest, Blank still lives.

Mercen-X
04-29-2009, 06:24 PM
I don't think his lifespan matters. I think spending years trapped in a petrified state without food, water, air, or sunlight would weaken Seto to such a state that if they used Supersoft to free him, he would soon die. Well, at least he'd be able to have a father-son moment with NanaRed.

By the way, I've come to a conclusion of what species red most closely resembles for us Earthlings. The cougar can vary in coat color from "pale buff" to "reddish-brown", it's about the same size as Nanaki and has a face to match. The only thing that's missing is the odd hairdo... and the ability to speak. I don't think cougars even roar.

Rantz
04-29-2009, 06:41 PM
They're not entirely unlike the now extinct Smilodon (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4c/Smilodon_populator_rec.jpg) in anatomy, either. Although I'd say their fur colour is more in the Bay Cat (http://www.wildaboutcats.org/baycat.jpg) direction.