PDA

View Full Version : So, what are the most "tricked out" versions of the games?

johnboy3434
04-12-2009, 06:41 AM
I'm thinking of getting into the FF games, after beating around the bush and reading the gushing reviews for a while, and I wanted to get the best. I was thinking of sticking to the core games of the series (you know, for the sake of my sanity), and wanted to get the best versions of each one, because God knows they've remade the first few enough times. This is what I'm thinking of going for:

FF1&2: PSP versions
FF3&4: DS versions
FF5&6: GBA versions
FF7&8: PC versions

With FF9, 10, 10-2, & 12 each having one version Stateside. I'm not into the MMO scene, so I'm skipping FF11. Considering that none of them are related, storywise, I shouldn't be missing much, right? Are these the best versions of the games, or do you have alternate suggestions?

EDIT: Also, do you think there are upgrades for FF5&6 in the near future, either for the DS or PSP?

blackmage_nuke
04-12-2009, 02:44 PM
I find the FFVI Snes version to be better. It doesnt have as many bonus features but i found the translation more unique even though there are a few censorships.. The best version I'd say wouldve been the PS1 version had it not been for the bad loading times. I think if there was a DS version comming out it would be pretty big news so im not sure there will be one in the near future.

Zeromus_X
04-12-2009, 10:18 PM
You might want to try out the GBA FFIV too, as it has some extra content not in the DS version.

Other than that list looks good.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-12-2009, 10:44 PM
The PSP versions of FFI and II are hideously garish in appearance, broken in gameplay. But the PlayStation versions upon which they're loosely based are both beautiful and true to their original gameplay.

The GBA ports sport washed-out visuals and drastically downgraded audio, which is a particularly glaring flaw for FFVI. The best solution is to stick to the SNES versions (or in FFV's case, emulate the translated Super Famicom version).

The PC version of FFVII has higher-res graphics and a slightly revised localization over the PlayStation version, but it's notoriously buggy. It might not be worth the trouble it requires.

johnboy3434
04-13-2009, 04:00 AM
You might want to try out the GBA FFIV too, as it has some extra content not in the DS version.

Really? I did not know this. I think owning multiple copies of the same game is retarded, so I'm going to have to make a choice. Which is greater, the material from the GBA version that didn't make it to the DS, or the new stuff exclusive to the DS? When answering this, figure that gameplay is most important, followed by plot.

Wolf Kanno
04-13-2009, 04:16 AM
I'd say the DS version of IV is better if you are looking for better gameplay options. The GBA offers two optional dungeons at the end game and the ability to switch out party members at the end as well. Course the difficulty took a hit to keep game balanced intact. The DS version sports a new skill system and greater difficulty levels. Its two optional bosses are not as fun as the the ones from the GBA but the revamped story bosses more than make up for it imho.

If you still want to be a traditionalist and plays something closer to the original, I say go for the PS1 version in FF Chronicles as it has a better translation than the SNES version but retains the original difficulty of the Japanese version.

I second Kishi's recommendation for the PS1 version of FFI and II cause its more true to the original games, the graphics are not as garish and the difficulty is still there.

I do recommend the GBA versions of V and VI if only because their translations are beautiful and offer greater appreciation for the stories. The Extras are neat but not really necessary. Gameplay is the same in all version except the GBA version of VI doesn't have the uber cheap Vanish/Doom trick anymore.

I cannot offer any advice for the PC games.

johnboy3434
04-14-2009, 09:28 PM
Hmm... I was thinking. Maybe it would be best if I played the original versions of the games (or as close as the English translations go). That would make it:

FF1: NES
FF2: PS1 [Origins]
FF3: DS
FF4: SNES
FF5: PS1
FF6: SNES
FF7: PS1
FF8: PS1

Maybe this will give me a better feel for the series than playing the more recent remakes (well except for FF3, but that's Square's fault, not mine).

Wolf Kanno
04-15-2009, 04:55 AM
VI has a decent translation on the SNES version and at least you will get a lot of the fan in-jokes in the VI forums but seriously, do not play the original english versions of IV and V. They are seriously that atrocious in the localization. Also, the SNES version of IV is a dumbed down version of Easy Type in Japan so if you really want to get the true gameplay experience, play the PS1 version.

beema
04-15-2009, 07:16 AM
funny... I posted a similar thread a few days ago and barely got a response...oh well

anyways, I can offer some insight on the PC versions

I've played 7 and 8 on PC, and they are fine, BUT I would strongly recommend playing them on PS1 or PS2 if you can, and make sure they are hooked up to an older TV and NOT a new hi-def 1080p one.
The reason being: these games were both designed for old TV resolutions, and therefore look terrible on modern PC monitors or hi-def TV's. You can fiddle with the resolution on a PC, but as you probably know, it doesn't make it look better, just bigger.
So despite the old TV techincally having worse picture, the games will look much better on them and the experience will be more enjoyable.

Also I find that since the games were originally designed for a PS controller, they play much smoother on said system as opposed to using a keyboard.

KentaRawr!
04-18-2009, 10:02 PM
VI has a decent translation on the SNES version and at least you will get a lot of the fan in-jokes in the VI forums but seriously, do not play the original english versions of IV and V. They are seriously that atrocious in the localization. Also, the SNES version of IV is a dumbed down version of Easy Type in Japan so if you really want to get the true gameplay experience, play the PS1 version.

From what I understand, the SNES version of IV was actually released before the Easy Type, and the Easy Type in Japan is allegedly easier than the U.S. version of FFIV. I might be wrong on that, though.

Wolf Kanno
04-19-2009, 04:18 AM
Its quite possible , I've heard something similar. I can't see how easier it gets than the SNES version since they strip most of the cast of their abilites, transform all the different status healing items into one category, and dumb down the enemies.