PDA

View Full Version : DEP...

leader of mortals
04-15-2009, 12:17 AM
Data Execution Prevention, or in other words, Bull:bou::bou::bou::bou:. I can hardly ever start my internet explorer ever since explorer 8 came out, and I am 3 seconds away from shoving this computer right up someones ass...

Is there any way to completely get rid of this? Is there any way to stop it? Is it gonna take us all over? Why does it NEVER FRICKEN STOP CLOSING MY INTERNET!?!?

o_O
04-15-2009, 12:50 AM
Data execution prevention is not something that you want to turn off. The fact that IE is crashing means that for some reason it's trying to access memory that has not been allocated to it. The danger with this is that it doesn't know what is contained in the memory it's crashing on. It could be a vital windows file, which changing could cause severe damage to the system.

In English, it basically means that it's trying to change data that other things may depend on to run correctly. It could be a bug in IE but it's more likely it's a hardware issue or some sort of corruption in your installation of Windows. Have you tried using another browser like <a href="www.getfirefox.com">Firefox</a> or <a href="www.google.com/chrome">Chrome</a>?

But if you want to turn it off anyway, you can do it via:
Control panel > System > Advanced > Performance > Data execution prevention.

leader of mortals
04-15-2009, 03:35 AM
If I already have a good antivirus and a good spyware thingdo ou think it would hurt anything? It's never done this before Explorer 8 came out...

o_O
04-15-2009, 05:23 AM
DEP is more concerned with protecting your operating system from glitches in programs rather than malicious threats like worms or viruses. It operates on a level far lower than any antivirus can - i.e. It's far closer to the "heart" of the operating system. You should first test another browser to see if it still happens and if it doesn't then you're looking at an issue with IE. In that case, try reinstalling IE8 to see if that fixes things.

If another browser doesn't fix the problem then you're probably looking at something a little more serious and a full repair or reinstallation of windows is likely to be one of the easier fixes.

leader of mortals
04-25-2009, 02:28 AM
Well I realized I already had Google Chrome, and so far it seems to be working. However, is it in any way possible that emulators could be the problem? This also hasn't really happened since I started using emulators other that epsxe.

Hmmm, but why is it that Internet explorer seems to always alternate between getting shut down from DEP and just running normally?

Edit: Yeah, now Im already back on Internet Explorer and it's working fine while like 3 minutes ago it wouldn't work...

leader of mortals
04-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Ok just a little more information, I just opened up internet explorer, closed out, opened it again, it was going a little slow. I closed out and opened again and DEP came up(All I have done was open internet explorer since logging back in), and now I have opened it again and it is working just fine. If there is a problem with a file, why does it go back and forth between interfering and not interfering?

Edit: *sigh* Now I was playing my epsxe emulator and I pressed esc and tried to go into internet explorer twice and it didn't work, and this third time it did work... If something was a real problem why would it alternate between "protecting" and not "protecting"

Edit 2: And now I have tried to exit and reenter internet explorer without doing anything else, and It worked 3 times, didn't twice, and now it's working again...

NeoTifa
04-29-2009, 03:08 AM
I thought this thread was about hair gel. *is dissapointed*

Jessweeee♪
05-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Yeah, I've been having a similar problem with MSN. Every time my screen saver comes up it shuts down :\