PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Footage from Demo

Dreddz
04-15-2009, 11:28 AM
YouTube - ファイナルファンタジーXIII / Final Fantasy 13 Full Demo Gameplay ►Part 1◄ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zySU8m15mFg&feature=channel_page)
YouTube - ファイナルファンタジーXIII / Final Fantasy 13 Full Demo Gameplay ►Part 2◄ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tcN_Gq9nvI&feature=channel_page)
YouTube - ファイナルファンタジーXIII / Final Fantasy 13 Full Demo Gameplay ►Part 3◄ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YUauFz6I9A)
YouTube - ファイナルファンタジーXIII / Final Fantasy 13 Full Demo Gameplay ►Part 4◄ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcIZoVsv24g&feature=channel_page)
YouTube - ファイナルファンタジーXIII / Final Fantasy 13 Full Demo Gameplay ►Part 5 Last◄ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsJlJFzeOmg&feature=channel_page)

Unfortunately I can only link to youtube at the moment, and not all of it has been uploaded yet. There was a live stream earlier which showed the entirety of the demo which lasted for around 40 minutes. Hopefully it will be fully uploaded on Youtube soon.

I think the game is coming along nicely. Graphically it is leaps and bounds ahead of any RPG released to date. I hope the rest of the game isn't as linear as the demo though. The game reminds me a lot of FFX personally.

Rostum
04-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Looks so nice... Can't wait until it's released.

Elpizo
04-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Well, what do you know, SE finally started to impress me somewhat with this title. I think I'm gonna like both Sahz and Lightning as characters. And that chocobo is too cute for words.

Rostum
04-15-2009, 02:42 PM
The baby chocobo is just so awesome. I want one...

Pete for President
04-15-2009, 03:45 PM
I'm impressed ;o even by the music. And characters seem to be able to jump :choc: I also like the way you do get teleported to some battlescreen, even though the enemies are visible in the normal world aswell.

Crimson
04-15-2009, 04:43 PM
I dont care what anyone thinks, im so happy that the old encounter system is back, dont get me wrong, FFXII's real time system was ok, but the original one just has a charm to it.

Pete for President
04-15-2009, 05:43 PM
I dont care what anyone thinks, im so happy that the old encounter system is back, dont get me wrong, FFXII's real time system was ok, but the original one just has a charm to it.

Agreed.

Wolf Kanno
04-15-2009, 06:20 PM
I wish the guy playing was less erratic. Stopping and pausing all the time.

The combat system looks much nicer now that we can see it in real action. I wish the spell effects were more impressive but it looks like we're continuing down the same route started in X and XII. At least they seem to multi-hit.

The similarities to VII and X are also really eerie. The opening track starts off almost sounding like "Bombing Mission" and then jumps into a narration similar to AC. I still dislike the Matrix style wire-fu. It really cheapened the opening scene for me. It's like they are trying to say "HEY KIDS!!! WE GOT CRAZY ACTION!!! WE BE TRIPPING ACTION AND WE'RE TOTALLY EXTREME ACTION DAWG!!! Please buy my game cause we added the "CRAZY ACTION" you kids are into these days...."

Can't say I'm terribly impressed with Lightning, she really feels like Cloud, she even has his classic pose when she's waiting. Sahz on the other hand is pretty awesome and he really stole the first part of the demo for me. His Chicobo is cute too.

I really dislike this dungeon design, I hope to god the whole game isn't like this. I don't care for the return of the "looks spacious but incredibly linear" designs of X. Hell, most of the dungeon felt and even looked like the opening part of Zanarkand, except with a VII color scheme. I'm not impressed with Cocoon so far. Even the first Boss battle was obviously a reference to the Scorpion Tank boss from VII. Though I laughed, cause the Human boss at the end of the first part looks like a "Space Judge" version of Judge Bergen from XII. I am happy they brought back the "jumping" elements from X-2 though.

Music is pretty good but I hope the overuse of the violin doesn't drive me crazy. Can't comment on the graphics too much cause the Youtube quality is terrible. Though they did a lot more to add cinematic elements into the gameplay so I give them kudos for that. I just hope its consistent cause X did the same thing for the first 10 hours of the game and then completely stopped for no reason.

Dreddz
04-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Anyone else think they could have done more with how you control your character out of combat. It is almost exactly how you controlled your character in FFX-2. Why not actually include a proper jumping mechanic instead of a few jump prompts scattered throughout the level. It just seems so limited, especially with the linear map design.

I thought the music was pretty good considering the lack of Uematsu. I'm not really bothered with the look of the game. The character designs are quite boring but I really like the colour palette of the enviorment.

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-15-2009, 07:55 PM

I preferred the FFXII encounter system but I find this is providing a good middle ground between the two. It gives something for those who preferred the FFXII system and still invoked the nostalgia of the older encounter system.

I am curious as to whether or not it will be this linear though. Despite Cocoon's Midgardian feel to it, it could be simply the fact that you are running on a road. This is only one area of the whole game. Maybe when you are in places like Pulse and such, you will have more freedom as you did in FFXII.

I sorta wanna play FFXII now. O-o;;;

Zeromus_X
04-15-2009, 10:41 PM
I really like the music, especially the battle theme.

Rostum
04-15-2009, 11:38 PM
I wish the guy playing was less erratic. Stopping and pausing all the time.

The combat system looks much nicer now that we can see it in real action. I wish the spell effects were more impressive but it looks like we're continuing down the same route started in X and XII. At least they seem to multi-hit.

The similarities to VII and X are also really eerie. The opening track starts off almost sounding like "Bombing Mission" and then jumps into a narration similar to AC. I still dislike the Matrix style wire-fu. It really cheapened the opening scene for me. It's like they are trying to say "HEY KIDS!!! WE GOT CRAZY ACTION!!! WE BE TRIPPING ACTION AND WE'RE TOTALLY EXTREME ACTION DAWG!!! Please buy my game cause we added the "CRAZY ACTION" you kids are into these days...."

Can't say I'm terribly impressed with Lightening, she really feels like Cloud, she even has his classic pose when she's waiting. Sahz on the other hand is pretty awesome and he really stole the first part of the demo for me. His Chicobo is cute too.

I really dislike this dungeon design, I hope to god the whole game isn't like this. I don't care for the return of the "looks spacious but incredibly linear" designs of X. Hell, most of the dungeon felt and even looked like the opening part of Zanarkand, except with a VII color scheme. I'm not impressed with Cocoon so far. Even the first Boss battle was obviously a reference to the Scorpion Tank boss from VII. Though I laughed, cause the Human boss at the end of the first part looks like a "Space Judge" version of Judge Bergen from XII. I am happy they brought back the "jumping" elements from X-2 though.

Music is pretty good but I hope the overuse of the violin doesn't drive me crazy. Can't comment on the graphics too much cause the Youtube quality is terrible. Though they did a lot more to add cinematic elements into the gameplay so I give them kudos for that. I just hope its consistent cause X did the same thing for the first 10 hours of the game and then completely stopped for no reason.

It's weird how people forget that Square want to make money first and foremost and that having elements that reminisce of two of their most popular FF games (FFVII and FFX) will probably net them a larger profit in the end.

:p

Wolf Kanno
04-16-2009, 04:55 AM
I'm not surprised they fall back onto ideas that worked, but I was caught off guard by how much in the demo. It walks the thin line between homage and cop-out. I just wanted to believe that SE wasn't that shallow.

I do understand that the walkways don't off much in the way of "open space" that's why I stated I hoped the game wasn't completely like that. I'm still wondering cause of one of the original trailers, they have a scene where Lightning is walking in the forest and it looks in-game. The problem is that the forest is just a simple road with lush foliage but it looks too close to the path design seen in Macalania woods.

I'm still hopeful it will have open environments but if they are going to keep pulling cinematic elements during gameplay footage (the flying vessels bombarding the road in the background for example) there is a good chance they may go for a linear style so its impossible to miss special events. This is more acceptable, since at least you get rewarded for running down a straight path. ;)

Rostum
04-16-2009, 11:41 AM
While I am impressed with what I've seen, personally, I do agree I would really love some open areas (and also a balanced mixed of organic and industrial environments).

Pete for President
04-16-2009, 11:49 AM
While I am impressed with what I've seen, personally, I do agree I would really love some open areas (and also a balanced mixed of organic and industrial environments).

As long as they're not as empty and square as in XII :choc:

Wolf Kanno
04-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Anyone else think they could have done more with how you control your character out of combat. It is almost exactly how you controlled your character in FFX-2. Why not actually include a proper jumping mechanic instead of a few jump prompts scattered throughout the level. It just seems so limited, especially with the linear map design.

My guess is that they wanted to keep it somewhat close to a traditional JRPG. If they added heavy platform controls there is a chance players would be whining cause you can't use the jump button during combat. But that's just my lame reasoning.

Personally, I do agree with you that more control in that department would be awesome. It would be like Xenogears. :cool:

trancekuja
04-16-2009, 04:00 PM
What!? No victory fanfare???:p The game looks awesome , I'm really looking forward to it.

About the outside of battle controls , I personally like the fact that it's kept simple. I don't want to go jumping around in FF title. I'll play an action game for that matter.

Jessweeee♪
04-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Why do you all look for flaws? It's so much more enjoyable if you don't xD

Yar
04-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Why do you all look for flaws? It's so much more enjoyable if you don't xDSo we can tell if it's over/underrated compared to VII.

04-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Why do you all look for flaws? It's so much more enjoyable if you don't xDSo we can tell if it's over/underrated compared to VII.

But FF VII is overrated.

Yar
04-16-2009, 06:31 PM
There is a lot of violin in XIII's music it seems.

Necronopticous
04-16-2009, 08:12 PM
I have never been more bored watching the first gameplay footage for a new Final Fantasy.

Croyles
04-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Here are all 9 parts in slightly better quality.
Final Fantasy 13 'PS3 Demo' gameplay clip part 1 of 9 Video from GameVideos (http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/24380)
Final Fantasy 13 'PS3 Demo' gameplay clip part 2 of 9 Video from GameVideos (http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/24381)
Final Fantasy 13 'PS3 Demo' gameplay clip part 3 of 9 Video from GameVideos (http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/24385)
Final Fantasy 13 'PS3 Demo' gameplay clip part 4 of 9 Video from GameVideos (http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/24387)
Final Fantasy 13 'PS3 Demo' gameplay clip part 5 of 9 Video from GameVideos (http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/24388)
Final Fantasy 13 'PS3 Demo' gameplay clip part 6 of 9 Video from GameVideos (http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/24389)
Final Fantasy 13 'PS3 Demo' gameplay clip part 7 of 9 Video from GameVideos (http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/24390)
Final Fantasy 13 'PS3 Demo' gameplay clip part 8 of 9 Video from GameVideos (http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/24391)
Final Fantasy 13 'PS3 Demo' gameplay clip part 9 of 9 Video from GameVideos (http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/24392)

But FF VII is overrated.

Saying FFVII is overrated is overrated. This whole forum can be one big cliche sometimes.

I have never been more bored watching the first gameplay footage for a new Final Fantasy.

Yeah same here, but thats only cause im getting older and less excited for video games, maybe thats the same for you? This looks like miles more fun than FFXII, so far.

Im really digging the music so far. The boss music is awesome and im happy to hear the battle music from the first trailer is back! The battle system looks fun of what little was shown and the graphics are just.... wow!

Yar
04-16-2009, 11:23 PM
I have a hunch that that might not be the real battle music. The introduction seems a tad long and when it loops it sounds like it doesn't fit well.

Croyles
04-16-2009, 11:27 PM
I think it will probably be one of many.

Watch all the parts in HD here:
Final Fantasy XIII - Gamersyde (http://www.gamersyde.com/game_1185_en.html)

Necronopticous
04-17-2009, 01:30 AM
Yeah same here, but thats only cause im getting older and less excited for video games, maybe thats the same for you? This looks like miles more fun than FFXII, so far.Video games are my life; this footage is just incredibly dull.

Jessweeee♪
04-17-2009, 01:46 AM
Finally got to watch it n.n

I like the sound effects for the menus.

LunarWeaver
04-17-2009, 02:47 AM
Looks awesome. :)

Croyles
04-17-2009, 02:49 AM
Yeah same here, but thats only cause im getting older and less excited for video games, maybe thats the same for you? This looks like miles more fun than FFXII, so far.Video games are my life; this footage is just incredibly dull.

hairy muff

trancekuja
04-17-2009, 03:57 AM

hairy muff
Hillary Duff

Wolf Kanno
04-17-2009, 04:07 AM
Why do you all look for flaws? It's so much more enjoyable if you don't xD

Cause they literally jump out and bite my face off as I watch them. My computer is bewitched I tell you :shifty:

Honestly, I'm not saying anything that I haven't said since the first trailer. The visuals of the game borrow from the VII and X mold and that's fine for someone who may have adored the games but they rank as my bottom two in the series so I can't say I'm really pleased. The demo is just confirming this point further.

Despite that, I'm looking forward to the combat system and I still need to finish all the videos. I want to see Snow in action.

Croyles
04-17-2009, 04:12 AM

hairy muff
Hillary Duff

has bum fluff

Yeargdribble
04-17-2009, 10:28 AM
I rather enjoyed the encounter system in FFXII and thought it was a great evolution. I'm not really looking forward to another quasi-random encounter thing. This is basically like the encounter system in FF MQ, but with way better graphics. I don't care how short the transition sequence is from out of combat to in combat... it's too long. Eff the transitions.

FFXIII has yet to pique my interest wholly. The futuristic thing isn't necessarily my cup of tea, but I try to keep an open mind and find things I like in every FF title, even those which aren't at the top of my list.

What is impressive are the technical aspects. Those are drool worthy. The difference between pre-render and game play is getting very small these days and I think this game is on the bleeding edge of that movement.

Jessweeee♪
04-17-2009, 05:04 PM
I think FFXII's way of just fighting them on the field would suit the look of this game better. I do like how it just changes the camera angle rather than putting them in the same environment for every battle in the dungeon.

Wolf Kanno
04-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Finished the Snow videos and must say I am quite pleased. Snow's combat definetly showed more of the cinematic qualities of the combat system and his ice magic was quite pleasing. :D I wish we could see a party that didn't have gun users in it cause I'm curious to see how Lightning and Snow would fight together.

I'm intrigued by the people talking to you as you walk by, I'm curious to know if this is something unique to this moment or have we finally gone full VA for even the most minor of NPC's? It could be quite interesting. Snow is pretty amusing and I though it quite interesting to see him do something foolish and see him botch it. The Demo's ending was a bit anti-climatic though, and brought back memories of Xenosaga. Still, the second half was a bit more amusing than Lightning's section.

One thing I am curious about is about weapons. Snow doesn't appear to have any. His gloves look quite simple and more of his outfit than a stylish pair of combat knuckles. I'm curious to know if XIII is going to have an equipment system or does the character building system going to compensate for it like in VIII and X? Hell, is Snow even using his real weapon?

Croyles
04-18-2009, 01:06 AM
This has to be one of my favourite FF boss themes now.
YouTube - Final Fantasy XIII Demo - Boss Battle Theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T4FYJZsw90)

But the first 25 seconds sounds very similar to the boss theme of FFX:
YouTube - Final Fantasy X boss theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icvtHXkw7O4)

Marshall Banana
04-18-2009, 05:33 AM
It reminds me too much of The Matrix Revolutions.

I think I saw a Judge and two Yevon priests, by the way.

Dreddz
04-18-2009, 11:53 AM
This has to be one of my favourite FF boss themes now.
YouTube - Final Fantasy XIII Demo - Boss Battle Theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T4FYJZsw90)
Now that I've heard a HQ version of the theme I'm going to have to agree. Masashi Hamauzu who also assisted Uematsu in doing FFX's soundtrack is doing FFXIII's so I have some faith it will deliver considering FFX's soundtrack was so good.

champagne supernova
04-20-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm not looking at any of the trailers because I don't want anymore of the game spoiled, but I did read IGNs comments when they played it, and they were highly impressed by the battle system.

But can't comment on linearity of the game because I haven't seen it.

Wolf Kanno
04-20-2009, 06:40 PM
To be honest, the demo doesn't give away much storywise (unless you're fluent in Japanese) and most of it is wandering and showing off the battle system.

champagne supernova
04-20-2009, 07:53 PM
To be honest, the demo doesn't give away much storywise (unless you're fluent in Japanese) and most of it is wandering and showing off the battle system.

Yeah, but I just want to know whether it's good or not. I want to find out for myself why it's good. And the coverage of JRPGs is ridiculous. You get an entire article about the creators talking about a new character, ???, who is goofy and likes cheese. What is that?

Wolf Kanno
04-20-2009, 08:25 PM
I will be the first to say that SE's PR campaign for this title has been utterly ridiculous. Let us all remember when Snow used to be simply "Mr. 33cm"...

I guess its more important to me to know ahead of time cause playing XIII will mean acquiring a new system.

sdm42393
04-20-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm quite impressed with the music. :)

Wolf Kanno
04-21-2009, 04:42 AM
Anyone else think the rocket pack enemies seem a little silly? :D

Pete for President
04-21-2009, 09:28 AM

Even MGS 3 had some of those so I'm less surprised to see em here ;p

sdm42393
04-22-2009, 02:06 AM

Silly, yes. Surprising, no. :roll2

Wolf Kanno
04-22-2009, 04:54 AM
I laugh whenever I see them. Old school sci-fi ftw! :D

04-23-2009, 06:18 PM
This might make some of you more happy:

1UP - What's Changing In The Retail Version Of FFXIII? (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173881)

These are rumours but nonetheless interesting!

Wolf Kanno
04-24-2009, 05:22 AM
"Hardest FF to date"?

I will hold them to that one. ;)

04-24-2009, 06:13 PM
lol, I didn't notice that one.

VeloZer0
04-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Lets see...

I remember in FF1 running into enemies that got a pre-emptive strike then used instant death spells to KO my entire party before I even had a chance to input any commands. Not holding my breath that they are going to top that. (nor would I probly be pleased with the result if they did).

On a less sarcastic note, although the claim may well be out to lunch, an increase in difficulty would be something I would welcome.

Nifleheim7
05-04-2009, 09:17 PM

I recently played the demo and i have to say that i agree with these 2 posts 100%.
The gameplay felt very restricted and i really hope the section in the demo will be the only linear one in the final game...Unfortunately from what we have seen from the videos of other areas like the forest path Lightning walks and the icy area where she talks with Snow,both of these places look very linear.
I liked the battle system though (with the exception that you cannot move the characters in battle) and the music was indeed quite good.

Honestly, I'm not saying anything that I haven't said since the first trailer. The visuals of the game borrow from the VII and X mold and that's fine for someone who may have adored the games but they rank as my bottom two in the series so I can't say I'm really pleased. The demo is just confirming this point further.

I'm one of those who adored the visuals in VII and X but i don't want to see the same art direction and aesthetics in every FF game over and over again (at least not in the main series.)
The reason why FFXIII reminds so much of VII is probably because Square intents to re-use all these assets for the inevitable remake of VII.To me,from a consumer's perspective this is unacceptable as i expect every FF world to be a unique and original concept.

I'm intrigued by the people talking to you as you walk by, I'm curious to know if this is something unique to this moment or have we finally gone full VA for even the most minor of NPC's? It could be quite interesting.

The NPC's have indeed VA but they feel completely lifeless...They have no movement at all.In fact they remind me these dolls that have motion sensors and start talking when you are passing by.
I hope they put at least some basic lip movement on them in the final version.

Wolf Kanno
05-05-2009, 05:29 AM

I'm one of those who adored the visuals in VII and X but i don't want to see the same art direction and aesthetics in every FF game over and over again (at least not in the main series.)
The reason why FFXIII reminds so much of VII is probably because Square intents to re-use all these assets for the inevitable remake of VII.To me,from a consumer's perspective this is unacceptable as i expect every FF world to be a unique and original concept.

I actually like VII's visuals as well but I liked the original game while this feels more like the Compilation bull crap. I have very mixed feelings about X though. I don't feel that XIII is being used as a "test run" for a VII remake but rather it may (and feel free to take this with some salt) be a homage to the Sony era FFs. Gunblades, a female Cloud, and several visual clues taken from the Nomura, Kitase, Nojima era FFs. Its not surprising cause the director has worked on VII, VIII, X, and X-2 as well as RW (which has this odd X-2 flavor to it that I can't get out of my mouth.)

Playing through this director's last title, Revenant Wings; I can tell he likes to borrow themes and situations from past games. Sorta like a calling card or something. I just hope this borrowing is skin deep and not another attempt at making the "magic formula". Like you, I just wish the visuals and aesthetics looked new.

I'm intrigued by the people talking to you as you walk by, I'm curious to know if this is something unique to this moment or have we finally gone full VA for even the most minor of NPC's? It could be quite interesting.

The NPC's have indeed VA but they feel completely lifeless...They have no movement at all.In fact they remind me these dolls that have motion sensors and start talking when you are passing by.
I hope they put at least some basic lip movement on them in the final version.

Hopefully this will be fixed in the final version (it is a demo after all) cause I don't think I could stand that. You would think they would do it the other way around. I remember how impressed I was in Xenosaga Eps. III cause the townsfolk and NPCs would move and somewhat interact with your character depending on your proximity to them.

Nifleheim7
05-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Its not surprising cause the director has worked on VII, VIII, X, and X-2 as well as RW (which has this odd X-2 flavor to it that I can't get out of my mouth.)

Playing through this director's last title, Revenant Wings; I can tell he likes to borrow themes and situations from past games. Sorta like a calling card or something.

Haha,i played RW but i haven't made that connection with X-2 until only now that you mention it (both light hearted games in comparison with X/XII,and both mission based.)

Btw,i hated RW's control system.It was the only FF i gave up trying finishing it.
I don't have X-2 on a high pedestal either.

Fire_Emblem776
05-23-2009, 01:31 PM
The demo was a lot of fun, i i wish i knew what i was doing most of the time -_-