PDA

View Full Version : Text Tattoos

Rye
04-15-2009, 06:18 PM
How do you feel about them? I think they're a rather love or hate thing.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/112/317127467_3ccb4e7762.jpg?v=0

I really like them, for the most part. I don't like giant text tattoos, because then you look like a billboard. Having someone's name tattoo'd on you is the kiss of death to a relationship, to me. But a small text tattoos is quite lovely.

I actually want a small part of a rather famous poem tattoo'd on some part of my back. Not a tramp stamp, but somewhere. If I had a nicer figure and never planned on getting pregnant, I'd put it on my hip bone stomach area. I'd probably get it between the shoulder blades. But I'm still definitely weighing on it. People either love the idea or absolutely hate it when I bring it up.

"Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd"

Do want. :3

Really long text tattoos are plain awful. Too ugly to even post photos of, in my honest opinion. My virgin EYES! :bigsmile:

Araciel
04-15-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm going to permanently mark myself, but I know absolutely that I would only take flat black and no letters.

I don't have much against text tattoos, I just don't see why I would want something written on my body. I would much prefer an image or design of some sort to say what I want to say.

But again, this is coming from someone who doesn't have any.

Rye
04-15-2009, 06:24 PM
I've always been a literary nerd, and I feel like if I would ever get someone permanently inked on my body, it has to be more profound and beautiful than I am. I can't find any image that is really like that, but there are words and sentences that I feel fit that.

Araciel
04-15-2009, 06:29 PM
I am also of the same kind of nerdiness, but I still feel that in getting something more or less permanently marked on my body, I'd want it to say something to others, and I feel that an image would be more generally accessible. A non-script tattoo I think is more open to personal interpretation. I suppose it depends on what kind of statement you want to make, and if the reasoning behind the tattoos are more personal than anything, then it stands to reason that it doesn't matter if anyone else 'gets it' or not, but I feel that half of the reason for me to get one would be to display it.

Yar
04-15-2009, 06:32 PM
They can look cool, especially depending on what they say, but I sure as hell don't want one. :X

Flying Mullet
04-15-2009, 06:46 PM
From reading the thread title I thought people were getting "LOL" and "ASL" tattoos.

Araciel
04-15-2009, 06:47 PM
IDK MY BFF JESUS

would rule.

Quindiana Jones
04-15-2009, 07:14 PM
I have War and Peace tattooed on my penis.

Misfit
04-15-2009, 08:37 PM
I have War and Peace tattooed on my penis.

pix

Quindiana Jones
04-15-2009, 09:16 PM
I would, but they'd ban me.

theundeadhero
04-15-2009, 09:17 PM
I think text tattoos are retarded.
I think image tattoos are awesome.

Quindiana Jones
04-15-2009, 09:19 PM
I have War and Peace in pictures tattooed on my balls.

theundeadhero
04-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Is there a portrait of all 100+ character faces?

Quindiana Jones
04-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Of course. Not a single event in the whole story is missed. I even have pictures of events that are merely mentioned in the book, rather then lived in.

rubah
04-15-2009, 09:30 PM
if it's a paragraph, no thx. Whole sentences beyond four or five words is stretching it

Here's a whole site full of text tattoos Contrariwise: Literary Tattoos (http://www.contrariwise.org/)

~*~Celes~*~
04-15-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about text tattoos. I always assumed I'd just get a little picture or symbol of some sort of my choosing. But a text tattoo sounds kinda cool :jess:

Iceglow
04-15-2009, 10:07 PM
I could get text put in to an image tattoo but I couldn't just have the text on it's own depending on the image I could get 1 of 2 phrases; "Apocalyptic and insane my dreams will never change" which is a 30 seconds to mars lyric which kinda sums up a lot of my mentality. The other is a quote from Robert Jordan's wheel of time series; "Death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain" which is just a quote that stuck in my mind for a long time since I first read it and love. A lot of my mates have text tattoos but I've not put needle to skin yet.

Also Rye, boney areas like the shoulderblades hurt lots because of the shallow depth to absorb the needle similary avoid the upper inner thigh and other extremely sensitive areas.

Madame Adequate
04-15-2009, 10:12 PM
From reading the thread title I thought people were getting "LOL" and "ASL" tattoos.

That would be sheer joy in idiot form.

Quindiana Jones
04-15-2009, 10:13 PM
I'll get them on the bottom of my big toes just for you, MILF. xD

Jessweeee♪
04-15-2009, 10:36 PM
I suppose like all tattoos you'd have to worry about what they'll look like as you age. My great grandpa had tattoos all up and down his arms from when he was in the Navy and the text tattoos were just rounded green blocks.

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Cool link rubah! Seeing all those tattoos made me go read Desiderata again.

My friend has "Tabularasa" tattooed on the base of her neck on her back. Tis pretty cool.

If I ever got a text tattoo, it'd have to be something meaningful. I do want to get a graphic one, but now I am sorta considering getting a small text one first. Hmm...

Peegee
04-15-2009, 11:21 PM

Don't tempt me. I'll do it

Rye
04-15-2009, 11:46 PM
I'm so glad I don't like Kurt Vonnegut, because every text tattoo on that site was that same piece of writing by him. Jeez.

It's a really neat site though. I really like the ones based on e.e. cummings, because he's one of the only poets I like.

"this is the wonder that’s keeping the stars apart"

I'm happy that my tattoo idea still hasn't been taken.

My favorite tattoo on the site so far is:

http://www.contrariwise.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/hope1-300x225.jpg

But I also adore:

http://www.contrariwise.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/t2017sep-300x215.jpg

The only other thing I would ever probably get tattoo'd is

"Love is a tired symphony you hum when you're awake"

Yar
04-15-2009, 11:58 PM
I want this haiku
To be etched into my skin
Tramp Stamp me, baby!

Captain Maxx Power
04-16-2009, 12:35 AM
All tattoos are terrible.

Marshall Banana
04-16-2009, 12:39 AM
I don't think I've ever seen an attractive tattoo! =O

Cuchulainn
04-16-2009, 12:55 AM
I have 2 and they are extremely personal messages that will hold true forever. Getting lettering tattooed is the same as getting any other. As long as the reason for getting it is timeless, the tattoo is timeless.

Bunny
04-16-2009, 12:56 AM
All tattoos are terrible.

Caraliz
04-16-2009, 03:46 AM
I want to get HOPE VALLEY HILL tattooed in my collarbones.

Loony BoB
04-16-2009, 03:07 PM
I dislike tattoos. I find them to be rather ugly.

Cuchulainn
04-16-2009, 03:35 PM
I dislike tattoos. I find them to be rather ugly.

I find YOUR FACE to be rather ugly.

Ha that learned you.

Breine
04-16-2009, 04:58 PM
I'm the same. It's a love hate thing. But I feel like that with tattoos in general, though. Although I'm fascinated by tattoos and think they can look really cool, they can also be very ugly and unattractive. So yeah, that's where I stand.

Bastian
04-17-2009, 01:11 AM
unless it's completely cheesy or unclever, I LOVE ALL TATTOOS. I pretty much have a fetish for them.

But I digress: text tattoos. I know someone whose entire forearm is paragraph after paragraph of SOMETHING but he won't tell anyone where it's from.