PDA

View Full Version : So Finally, I Have Tried Them

Depression Moon
04-18-2009, 09:49 PM
It's been about three years since I've played a new Final Fantasy, so I thought this would be the time to expand my experience with the series. I had just recently purchased FF Anthologies through ebay and I was dissapointed. The game came in single casings with no book and the discs were severely scratched.
I tried putting them in my PS2 and of course they didn't work. I was mad, but it was my fault since the price was chaeap and there was no real picture of the discs. I really only had myself to blame.

I then continued playing my PS2 and PS3. That didn't last long though when suddenly one day after I took a break of playing Persona 3 to eat dinner, I came back and tried to play the game again and it couldn't be read. I was furious since I loved the game so much and I hadn't even beat it one time. I sucked it up and had proceeded with playing with the one game I have for my PS3. Later, I found out that the PS3 could play PS1 games so I tried my luck and put in FFV. The PS3 miraculously read the game in an instant. The game's opening credits were amazing and it fell a little short for me from there. The opening was too long in my opinion and one of the battle themes' were really annoying.

I got up to the first save point and the game froze. I was just a little upset, since I found negatives in the game already and I rarely hear anyone hear talk about the game. So I just took the game out for the night and the next day I tried VI. Like the other it opened beautifully, I wonder why other FFs didn't open like that. I made it to the first boss and I couldn't really tell if I was hurting it or not, so I ended up winning the battle with only Wedge left. One complaint that I have about both games is that it takes a little too long for the battle screens to open and close. I also think that V's YESSSS! is kind of cheesy. I can't wait to find out what all VI has to offer. I'll try it a little later and give some more feedback.

Necronopticous
04-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Final Fantasy VI has the potential to blow your mind, but playing it in its most flawed format is really going to hurt that experience. I suggest you play the original, or grab Final Fantasy VI Advance. Even emulation is 1000% better than that awful Playstation version.

Saber
04-18-2009, 10:26 PM
You may want to buy a brand new game instead of taking chances on scratched disks.

:) VS :(

theundeadhero
04-18-2009, 10:53 PM
I have to admit FFV is more for select players to like, which I happen to do, but nearly everyone who gives FFVI a chance loves it. Follow advice though, any version but the PS version will be better.

Depression Moon
04-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Well I don't have a DS and my older brother took the SNES, so what am I to do? What's wrong with the PS version?

theundeadhero
04-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Like you said, horribly slow load times.

Necronopticous
04-18-2009, 11:47 PM
Emulate it on the computer you're sitting at right now.

RedPouch
04-19-2009, 12:01 AM
Agreed. Playing the playstation version of those games is a bad idea. Even accessing the menu on CHrono Trigger takes a ridiculously long amount of time to put up with [which is annoying if you're someone that accesses the menu a lot]. I recommend playing the GBA or original SNES versions so your experience isn't ruined. Everyone here pretty much has the right idea.

Mirage
04-19-2009, 12:26 AM
Yeah, get the GBA versions if anything. Better script, bonus dungeons, faster loading, not as good audio quality due to GBAs sound chip.

Necronopticous
04-19-2009, 02:33 AM
Better scriptI wouldn't go that far.

Wolf Kanno
04-19-2009, 04:29 AM
Sorry to hear about your PS2, and even more sorry that you didn't get a chance to finish P3. :cry:

Yeah, the PS1 version of VI is notorious for its horrible load times. Its a great game but if its bothering you now, I'd rather you stop than have something trivial like that ruin the game.

V is a bit slow in the beginning. It doesn't really pick up until the second crystal and then it eventually turns into a roller coaster ride.

If you can tough it out of the problems due to the crappy versions I say go for it. Otherwise, find a way to get the GBA versions cause they are better overall.

Mirage
04-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Better scriptI wouldn't go that far.

For FF5, I would, without question. For FF6, I don't remember enough of the changes in detail.

blackmage_nuke
04-19-2009, 02:45 PM
In my opinion the best option for FFVI is the Playstation version on a PS emulator to counter the load times.

Depression Moon
04-19-2009, 04:58 PM
All right I made it up to getting Sabin, I got stuck and frustrated in South Figaro when I met an old man who wanted Cider. I found a guy in the cafe who was going to take it to him, but whenever I follow him and go there, he's already given it to the old man and he won't talk to me. I tried following the guy and mug him for the cider, that didn't work, nor did trying to race him to the old guy's house or taking a short cut through the secret passageway. I also tried picking up the cider before talking to him and that didn't work either. I was doing all that stuff for about a whole 40 min before deciding to leave and discovering Mt. Kolts, now that I have Sabin, I'm finding the game to be kind of unique, but I'm a little confused on story. He just suddenly tagged along, with no apparent reason.

The Music's cool. I'm getting use to the loads, I did deal with FF Chronicles too.

Mirage
04-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Sabin is Eddie's brother, that might be why :p.

MJN SEIFER
04-19-2009, 08:50 PM
I'm going to assume that the PSX versions having slow loading is an American only thing, because It works perectly fast for me.

Also I think I like FFV and FFVI equally, except they score points in opposite directions, it's hard to expalin to the point.

Yar
04-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Final Fantasy V Advance is my favorite version of anything FF. The script is what it was missing in the PSX version (that and the load times). When they were fixed for the GBA version it was perfected! :D

Wolf Kanno
04-20-2009, 06:17 AM
All right I made it up to getting Sabin, I got stuck and frustrated in South Figaro when I met an old man who wanted Cider. I found a guy in the cafe who was going to take it to him, but whenever I follow him and go there, he's already given it to the old man and he won't talk to me. I tried following the guy and mug him for the cider, that didn't work, nor did trying to race him to the old guy's house or taking a short cut through the secret passageway. I also tried picking up the cider before talking to him and that didn't work either.

Patience grasshopper, that becomes important later...

Sabin is Edgar's brother and their is an optional story sequence concerning their pasts that comes a bit later.

Dignified Pauper
04-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Are you reading the dialogue in FFVI? How did you not know Sabin and Edward were brothers?

Mirage
04-20-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm going to assume that the PSX versions having slow loading is an American only thing, because It works perectly fast for me.

Also I think I like FFV and FFVI equally, except they score points in opposite directions, it's hard to expalin to the point.

Why would american PS1s read discs faster than european PS1s? The loading times were rotten on the PAL versions too.

Depression Moon
04-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Are you reading the dialogue in FFVI? How did you not know Sabin and Edward were brothers?
Who said that I didn't know?

I've gotten to acquiring Cyan at this point, I liked the changing to different events with Mog, that was something different. Cyan's entry was cool and I thought it was funny for a guy that looked like that to be that powerful. Shadow BTW seems a bit too powerful. His dog deals more damage than him. bCyan jumping into the party also seemed a little funny, I guess he needed a place to retreat to, but the game didn't really make that clear in his dialogue. I am also confused about when he entered the room and saw othose people and the little one came out and said Dear?

It felt dark and bizzarre, but if it leaves a surprise later don't explain it to me.

Wolf Kanno
04-20-2009, 08:28 PM
This would all make more sense if you were playing the GBA version cause the script clarifies a lot of that.

Depression Moon
05-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Currently I just played up to the part where I found Terra in Zozo. That place surprised me, because I didn't expect it to be a dungeon and nearly died on my second battle with the dancer throwing knives.

I had Shadow with me too and he stayed until I had gotten a game over and replayed the portion of the game. He left right after a pincer attack. I was like WTH!?

he was with me when my party were alive before the game over in Zozo, but the second time when I was barely in there, he just suddenly decides to leave. Is Shadow going to keep on doing this or will he eventually stay?

Wolf Kanno
05-04-2009, 04:15 PM
He eventually stays, he spends the first half of the game coming and going. There is a way to get him to permanently join you but there is a trick to it.

MJN SEIFER
05-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Why would american PS1s read discs faster than european PS1s? The loading times were rotten on the PAL versions too.

Strange. They never loaded bad for me, mind you I used PS2s by the time I had those games, so maybe that gets around the loading problerm?

Jessweeee♪
05-09-2009, 04:16 AM
My copy of FFVIII is scratched up a bit so some of the FMVs freeze up in the PS1. I have to play past them in the PS2 xD

Dignified Pauper
05-14-2009, 01:14 AM
Why isn't this in FFVI's forum?

Depression Moon
05-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Why isn't this in FFVI's forum?
Because it's about both V and VI.

I just got Relm yesterday. She's cute. I didn't expect her to draw in the middle of battle.

The Turk
06-04-2009, 11:02 PM
I play FF VI on my PS3 via the PSone disc and I didn't even notice the slow loading times until coming to this forum and seeing everyone moan about them and calling it a game-breaker which I disagree with.

Next to playing it on the Snes or an emulator the PSone version is the best option as I wouldn't want to play Diet FFVI on the GBA.

Oh and that damn guy with the cider confused me so much the first time too. I must have spent half an hour trying to give him some to no avail.

You just left Zozo? "Zozo?" Hmmm, never heard of it.

Depression Moon
06-05-2009, 03:11 AM
I'm way past that now. This game is giving me the most frustration than any of the others with it's high random encounters in dungeons. I'm trying to get to the floating continent, but I keep on dying on the way there. First time was against the regular enemies second time too, third and fourth against the flying airship. He goes three times per turn and is pretty tough.
I've put it off for a while because of that. All my characters are in early 20's except for terra.

Slothy
06-06-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm way past that now. This game is giving me the most frustration than any of the others with it's high random encounters in dungeons. I'm trying to get to the floating continent, but I keep on dying on the way there. First time was against the regular enemies second time too, third and fourth against the flying airship. He goes three times per turn and is pretty tough.
I've put it off for a while because of that. All my characters are in early 20's except for terra.

Do you run from battles very often? Because I've never really found myself underpowered for that part of the game (eve my first time through). And I don't know what you mean by a high enemy encounter rate? FFVI is actually among the lowest of the 2D games in my opinion. Try FFI or IV if you a real brutal encounter rate (assuming you haven't played them. If you have then disregard this).

Depression Moon
06-16-2009, 03:28 AM
I run from battles a lot because they become annoying when I try to find something and it would make my game a lot longet to add especially when I' just take one step and here one cames. I finally beat that flying airship just barely and made onto the floating continent. This is the worst dungeon ever, not only is there frequent encounters, but those Wyired dragons have way too much HP and consume too much of my MP, Behemoths are ferocious. Dragons are scary, and when you run into the ninjas you're gonna get a game over because you can't run away and they're constantly throwing powerful items.

ljkkjlcm9
06-16-2009, 06:20 AM
well honestly, that's because you ran a lot earlier in the game. The real key to any Final Fantasy game, and most RPG's in general, is never run. It'll keep you at a good level throughout the entire game.

Also since you're at the floating continent
Make sure you wait for Shadow, or he's gone forever

THE JACKEL

Depression Moon
07-16-2009, 02:13 AM
I decided to give this game another try.

Uhh, after leveling up a few times with my characters. I thought things would be easier. Well they are a little bit and I was surprised when I had returned to the floating continent it put me all the way back to the begginnig. I was starting to get close to the next save point. When suddenly I encountered a battle and decided to fight.

The last thing I did was use Setzer's slot and I had picked two sevens and a bar. Surprisingly a move called Joker's End conjured and four skulls circled around my characters' heads and they all died. This game is seriously trying my patience here. How was i supposed to know that that was going to happen. Why would they put in such a ridiculous random move in the game. I know slots can have negative outcomes, but killing my whole party.

I'm almost about hate this game.

Skyblade
07-16-2009, 03:44 AM
Cait Sith also had a "Game Over" move on his slots.

And, yeah, I think anything that does an unstoppable insta-kill on your party (or even one member of your party) is ridiculous.

I haven't been able to get that far in the game though, I'm stuck in the battle where Locke is fighting alongside the moogle army, and I'm having a lot of trouble taking down all those enemies.

ljkkjlcm9
07-16-2009, 04:29 AM
I haven't been able to get that far in the game though, I'm stuck in the battle where Locke is fighting alongside the moogle army, and I'm having a lot of trouble taking down all those enemies.

That's your problem right there. You only need to kill the leader at the bottom of the screen.
My suggestion: Either
1) Use the party with Locke to run directly to the boss and kill him.
2) Use the party with Mog, fight once to learn a dance, then proceed to the boss and kill him.(use Mog's new Dance)

either way, I suggest at least fighting once with Mog here just to get the dance.

THE JACKAL

Skyblade
07-16-2009, 04:42 AM
Ok, for one thing, you have me killing the boss twice there. That doesn't make sense to me.

For another... Skip battles? Miss out on items to steal and experience to get? That just seems...wrong. :( But I'll try it, I guess.

Wolf Kanno
07-16-2009, 04:45 AM
I'm afraid you smurfed up Depression Moon... You never run in the pre-VIII FFs. No matter how bad the encounter rate is you never run... As for Joker's End, congratulations, you got one of the most difficult slot outcomes in the game. I have never seen it personally and I consider myself a veteran of the game.

Seriously, I'll give you the magic word that is going to fix your problems: Vanish

Since you are playing the PS1 version, you get the wonderful broken Vanish move. Vanish is a great spell cause it allows you to avoid all physical but guarantees magic hitting. For leveling, its great to keep you from non taking damage and allowing you to level party members solo. In battle, its great for getting rid of enemies and most bosses. The trick is to cast vanish on the enemy then have your next party member cast Doom/Death to instant kill the enemy. This works on pretty much every boss in the game, apparently even the final boss (though its hard to hit him with Vanish :roll2).

I suggest teaching your party Doom/Break and Vanish which are from the Shoat and Phantom espers. Then solo a party member, cast float and vanish on them and proceed to have them train somewhere. I suggest either the region around Thamasa or the area around Vector. You want enemies that don't use magic very often. For raising magic, I suggest challenging the Intangir on the triangle island in the northern right island. He comes with Vanish already cast on but he counters with Meteo which can be devastating for an underleveled party. He gives 10 ap though so its great for learning magic quickly.

Make sure you exploit str. and mag. stat bonuses from the espers and in order to avoid future frustration... Teach Celes every level 2 spell you can and all healing. Sabin should learn all the healing magic you have at this time and Edgar and Setzer should also get some levels. This will help you immensely after the Floating Continent.

Skyblade
07-16-2009, 05:08 AM
Oh, right, one other question about the game. What exactly is the choice about Espers versus items I've heard about?

ljkkjlcm9
07-16-2009, 05:26 AM
I meant to say do either option 1 or 2 lol

Oh, right, one other question about the game. What exactly is the choice about Espers versus items I've heard about?

there is one esper that you have to choose between either making it a sword or an esper. Ragnarok

The sword can be bet at the coliseum for the strongest weapon in the game, the Illumina(or Lightbringer i think it was depending which version you play)
the Esper teaches Ultima and only Ultima.

If you don't get the Esper, the only way to learn Ultima is with the Paladin shield, which you get by uncursing the cursed shield by fighting with it equipped on a character with a ribbon for 255 fights or something.
(easiest way to do this without extending play time is to get it early in the WoR, get Locke first then go to Narshe, and then just play normally with it equipped)

THE JACKAL

Skyblade
07-16-2009, 05:33 AM
Oh, good, I thought it was that way for all of the Espers, and I really, really hate decisions like that.

Wolf Kanno
07-16-2009, 06:35 AM
I should warn you about another choice in the game then... It involves getting a party member or a really good item very early in the game. The item is rare and it is possible to get the member later but it prevents you from getting access to one of the characters best skills as its only accessible in the first half of the game. You can acquire the item later as well.

Skyblade
07-17-2009, 03:57 AM
Could you clarify that? In a PM, if necessary.

blackmage_nuke
07-17-2009, 04:29 AM
Theres an optional part in Narshe where a moogle gets kidnapped and you can either choose to help the moogle and get him as a character or get a gold hairpin which lets you cast spells at 1/2 mp.

You can still get the moogle later but he loses out on a special move you can only get if you save him.

qwertysaur
07-17-2009, 04:43 AM
Unless you are playing the advance version. Then you can get the one move in 1 battle that was added in that version.

Wolf Kanno
07-17-2009, 05:47 AM
I keep forgetting about the new Leviathan fight. ;)

But the moogle rocks... He kicks ass on the Floating Continent.

MJN SEIFER
07-22-2009, 11:00 PM
I am not admin, but I feel this should be put back in the "General Final Fantasy" section. This is about Anthology which is about IV and V, i.e. two FFs - VI has nothing to do with it.

Depression Moon
07-23-2009, 12:49 AM
anthology is is V and VI. I have the game right in my living room and I would like to say thank you to Wolf. I finally got past that part and met up with Kefka.

Dang man I didn't expect for the world to be like this. Just woke up as Celes a year later and found ut that Cid's been taking care of me for a year and that he's dying. man this is some serious stuff

Wolf Kanno
07-23-2009, 05:22 AM
I'm happy I could ease your frustration. Enjoy the World of Ruin and feel free to ask for help. There is a ton of stuff to do in this part of the game and its easy to miss a few things.

MJN SEIFER
07-25-2009, 01:33 AM
anthology is is V and VI. I have the game right in my living room and I would like to say thank you to Wolf. I finally got past that part and met up with Kefka.

Dang man I didn't expect for the world to be like this. Just woke up as Celes a year later and found ut that Cid's been taking care of me for a year and that he's dying. man this is some serious stuff

Are you sure about that? I have Anthology and it's IV and V, I also as VI as seperate game.

Are there two Anthologies? (maybe a UK/US alternative?)

eestlinc
07-25-2009, 01:46 AM
This is a thread about ff6, so it goes here. The other discussion i ancillary. Not sure about the differen anthologies, but in the US ff5 and ff6 were released together for PSone, and ff4 and Chrono Trigger were released together for PSone as well. If I recall correctly.

The World of Ruin is pretty depressing. I think the game is a bit too dark, although the ridiculous self-help dialogue at the end is even worse. But the game play is great!

Getting Joker Doom is amazing but crappy, as Wolf Kanno noted above.

Also, if you hate the random encounters, use the moogle charm. best item ever! especially useful when you have to split your party later in the game and you haven't leveled up some people.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-25-2009, 02:12 AM
Are you sure about that? I have Anthology and it's IV and V, I also as VI as seperate game.

Are there two Anthologies? (maybe a UK/US alternative?)

It's just as you've said: the US Anthology is V and VI, and the UK Anthology is IV and V. In Japan, all three games were released separately over the course of three years before being compiled as Final Fantasy Collection (which is why FFIV's FMVs are so lousy: they're from early 1997).

MJN SEIFER
07-25-2009, 10:35 PM
It's just as you've said: the US Anthology is V and VI, and the UK Anthology is IV and V. In Japan, all three games were released separately over the course of three years before being compiled as Final Fantasy Collection (which is why FFIV's FMVs are so lousy: they're from early 1997).

Thankyou for explaining this - I have been wodering why people kept reffering to VI as an "Anthology" game.

Depression Moon
08-03-2009, 07:06 PM
I've just gotten Cyan back now and for a while here I'm still wondering what some of the items I have do in the game. I have this Soul Sabre weapon that's useless. It does O damage to the enemey and 0 healing to myself? Atma WQeapon sometimes does good damage and at other times it doesn't.
I also unlocked that treasure chest in Cyan's room and I was surprised when I opened it. I didn't get any kind of item. Did it do anything, also does anyone have a good stretegy against beating that dragon in the box. I just got my but whooped three times in a row and decided to leave it alone.

NeoCracker
08-03-2009, 10:39 PM
In the GBA remake, the chest gives you a book called 'BUshido in the Bedroom', it's more of a joke chest then anything. :p

Atma weapon does damaged based on your current HP, I don't remember if you need low HP or High for it to do good damage though.

And I don't remember the Soul Sabre at all saddly. :(

And since you have the airship, I suggest getting Gau Back. Just take 3 members to the Veldt, and eventually Gau will show back up and join you as if nothing happened. :p

Wolf Kanno
08-04-2009, 01:16 AM
The Atma Weapon does damage based on the wielder's HP. Unlike Cloud's Ultima Weapon though, the damage/HP ratio is a bit more direct. The weapon will rarely do damage above the wielder's HP. If they have 1000hp they will do 1000 damage. The damage decreases as they lose Hp but will be restored as they regain health.

Soul Sabre uses Mp to do powerful attacks, once your characters HP hits 0 it does crap damage. Its great for characters like Edgar and Locke who don't really need to use summons or magic to do damage.

For the Dragon, I would Vanish/Doom him since you are playing the PS version. Just don't use Break or X-Zone or you will lose their special item they drop.

Depression Moon
08-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Where is Gau exactly? Is he in that cave? I found Relm there and took her back home or is he more like romaing around the savannah?
I'm unsure where to go to if Gau doesn't give me any hints.

Wolf Kanno
08-05-2009, 05:43 AM
Gau is on the Veldt. Just do what you used to, create a party of three and wander around til he appears and rejoins.

Depression Moon
09-07-2009, 02:07 AM
Well I was confused on what to do for a while so I had given it up. I later came back and have entered the tower where Kefka supposedly is. I have the three parties split up in groups of 3 except Celes party that has four. I'm thinking I could have gotten Relm and Strago with me, but that boss at the top of the twoer is way too hard. I spent an hour trying to beat him and when I did Meteor put us to death. Now I'm getting frustrated in this dungeon.

I've come to the point where the party splits apart and they all gatherred to the room where two switches have to be pressed and two anvils dropped. I got to fighting the boss in the middle room and I found it extremely hard with my party of Mog, Umaro, and Cyan. What gets me is the enemy's wave cannon move it's far too powerful and kills everyone except mog who absorbs the attack and after that he copies Atma and does that glowy thing. I've been struggling in this dungeon because of lack of save points and frequent boss encounters. I skipped passed Atma and I am here now struggling. I'm afraid to leave and have to do all this stuff over again.

my other two parties are Celes, Locke, Gogo, Setzer, and the other is Edgar, Sabin, and Gau. All members are somewhere in the 40's.

Edit: I also tried the Vanish Doom thing, but the boss can't be hit by Vanish I tried, he doesn't turn invisible.

Necronopticous
09-07-2009, 02:19 AM
You're almost there! Don't get discouraged. It's supposed to be challenging. Keep it up!

Depression Moon
10-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Well I finally decided to try again this time I used a different strategy. I removed armor and relics off of everyone and just horded the best of the stuff on the party that was going to fight the boss. I barely beat both of those, but still. now I'm having trouble on the Goddess boss. I don't understand how she can be beatable. First she invents some new status ailment that makes party members fall in love with her so whenever I try to attack her, the lovesick member jumps in the way and takes the hit. It's also incurable and shortly in the battle she does this weird version of Doom that turns the whole party into zombies. I thought I could counter this my second time with a ribbon or that relic that prevents zombie, but no, I still get turned into one. Help!

BY THE GODDESS!

Wolf Kanno
10-05-2009, 04:18 AM
The easiest way to win is just to simply spam all high level abilites like Bum Rush and Ultima. If Setzer is in your party and you have the Fixed Dice, I highly recommend equipping the weapon and giving him the Offering. The Fixed Dice negates the Offering's annoying ability to half the attack power of weapons so Setzer can easily his four times with the Fixed Dice with each blow doing damage in the thousands.

If you have Locke with the Valiant Knife, get him low health and let him go to town. Haste2 is going to be your best friend in this fight. Also, if she uses the charm spell, I believe spells like Ultima and using the offering should negate the Charm effect and allow full damage to Goddess.

Depression Moon
10-06-2009, 01:41 AM
I don't have Ultima. I didn't even know it was in the game. The most powerful spell I have is Meteor.

Did I mention I had Setzer and Locke in that party? If not then good guess. I have Celes, Locke, Setzer, and Gogo for that fight. Locke knows Fire3, Life2, and Cure 3 as his best. Setzer I think has the Haste2. I'm surprised about the fixed dice. I thought they were useless. I can't remember if I have Valiant Knife, but it sounds familiar. So what should Celes and Gogo do?

Wolf Kanno
10-06-2009, 04:46 AM
You get the Valiant Knife when Locke joins you. Did you go back to Narshe and have Locke open up the locked doors to plunder the town? If so, the town has a man who gives you a choice between keeping a broken Esper shard or having him turn it into a powerful sword. The Ragnarok Esper teaches Ultima, the Ragnarok sword is incredibly powerful and randomly casts Flare with its normal attacks. It can be bet st the Coliseum to get access to the most powerful sword in the game Illumina/Lightbringer. Also in the town is a man who gives you the Cursed Shield. The shield inflicts the wielder with every status ailment in the game but if you wear the shield through 255 battles, it transforms into the Paladin Shield which has the best defensive stats in the game and also teaches Ultima to its wielder.

The Dice weapon is useless, but the Fixed Dice does incredible amounts of damage but it fluctuates. Sometimes it hits for 800hp damage other times it can do 9999hp damage. Due to its "fixed" nature it tends to roll four digit damage.

Celes should be your dedicated healer if you have the magic otherwise, spam your best all hitting spells like Quake and Meteor if she has them otherwise I would keep her as a defensive unit.

Gogo should be using Tools or Blitz, go into Gogo's status screen and the game gives you the ability to give Gogo three abilities. I would choose Magic, Tools, and Blitz unless you have a preference for something else. He should have access to all the abilites and tools that Sabin and Edgar have access to. His/Her magic is based on the spells known by the current party.

Hope this helps.

Depression Moon
10-07-2009, 03:00 AM
Reallly, I didn't know Gogo could do anything other than Mimic. I used the shard to make the sword instead and it looks like I won't be getting Ultima.
I'll give it a try.

Kyros
10-07-2009, 03:19 AM
I've always gotten the esper b/c the sword's seemed less useful to me when I can already hit high numbers without it. Plus Kefka dies in 1 turn to Locke w/o the sword, which is another reason I chose the esper.

Wolf Kanno
10-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Outside of netting a few rare items easily without the Coliseum and learning Ultima slightly early, I find I prefer getting the sword over the magicite cause the bonuses and damge are exceptional and it goes well with my favorite character Terra. I generally find attaining the Paladin Shield to be a better means of getting Ultima cause it also nets you an incredibly powerful piece of defensive equipment. I think getting the esper the first time through is a good choice but after finally breaking down and getting the Ragnarok sword in my last playthrough I don't think I will ever go back.

Gogo is a deceptive character and don't worry about not knowing about his status screen set up. I had played through and beaten the game several times before I stumbled upon it myself. ;)