PDA

View Full Version : Why won't Diablo II LoD install?

demondude
04-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Windows Vista screws me over yet again. :mad2: Diablo II installed after I downloaded the latest patch, but LoD refuses to open! I click on it and it takes me to a black screen and then flickers for a bit before it sends me back to where I was before. I have tried numerous remedies, inculding changing compatibility mode, 256 colours, and D2Loader, but it doesn't seem to change the fact that it doesn't start installing. I have a feeling it's because I don't have the newest patch for LoD installed, but it can't install because I haven't got LoD installed yet. I don't want to play vanilla Diablo II, because that's lame!

Flying Mullet
04-20-2009, 02:22 PM
The patch shouldn't affect how the game loads. The patch only deals with battle.net games.

I don't know what to offer in ways of advice. :(

demondude
04-20-2009, 02:48 PM
By the looks of it problems with Diablo (or any older game) with Vista are common. I think Setup.exe is the problem, as it just doesn't load, which prevents me from getting to the install screen. They both work fine on my friends XP computer, but I don't really want to downgrade/upgrade to XP.

EDIT: I'm uploading a video which shows what's wrong. Maybe that will help.

EDIT: Never use BSR screen recorder, it sucks. YouTube - BSR 2009 04 20 15 12 42 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4tmBIfzhrI)

It doesn't show very well, but I click on setup.exe and it does nothing. It actually takes me to a black screen for about two seconds, but that didn't show on this video.

Tavrobel
04-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Make sure you're running the program with the right permissions (i.e., Administrator). This may sound incredibly stupid, but try ejecting the CD and then closing the CD bay with LoD in it, and let it autorun. Also, make sure your drive is actually a DVD/CD bay (weirder things have happened).

Like Mulley said, patches don't affect how the game installs.

Samuraid
04-21-2009, 04:19 AM
Install it somewhere other than Program Files, such as C:\Diablo2

demondude
04-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Nope, none of those ideas work. ;( There must be some way, surely!