PDA

View Full Version : study habits

rubah
04-22-2009, 05:11 AM
I don't have any. Do you?

It's really frustrating at times like these >:[

Kirobaito
04-22-2009, 05:23 AM
No. I have no study habits. I no longer think that this will ever bite me in the ass.

Last night I downed a Venom and then decided to go to bed instead of doing my homework.

Værn
04-22-2009, 05:47 AM
What's a "study habit"? Is it a new type of snack food or something?

Jiro
04-22-2009, 06:03 AM
I reserve my studying for when having fun is boring.

Vermachtnis
04-22-2009, 06:17 AM
Nope, I can't study at all. I'm learn better by someone talking. Which sucks when there's something on a test that the teacher didn't over in the lecture.

rubah
04-22-2009, 06:18 AM
blah blah blah caseybaito mr. has all his required courses done major >:[

Rantz
04-22-2009, 06:22 AM
Not if you don't count "put it off until later".

strawberryman
04-22-2009, 06:40 AM
Nope, I can't study at all. I'm learn better by someone talking. Which sucks when there's something on a test that the teacher didn't over in the lecture.

Yeah, me too. My brain retains info like a sponge. Sadly it's mostly useless stuff that I can think of right away but with some digging I can usually remember something I've heard before.

kikimm
04-22-2009, 07:13 AM
Nah. Except when it comes to things like languages, I just wing it/count on being smart. Languages I do actually like to practice and study. :P

This method works for everything except math. Sigh. But no amount of studying will help me there anyways.

Marshall Banana
04-22-2009, 07:22 AM
Sometimes I write summaries.

Bunny
04-22-2009, 07:41 AM
I never studied in school and it was reflected in the grades that I got.

theundeadhero
04-22-2009, 07:44 AM
I wish I did because I have to study for the promotion board and don't really know how.

Bunny
04-22-2009, 07:47 AM
I wish I did because I have to study for the promotion board and don't really know how.

Aren't you in the military? Just BS. That thing is a crock anyway.

theundeadhero
04-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Not the Army E-6 one. I wish they were as easy as paper-tests, not stand in front of five other people and answer questions they ask.

Kirobaito
04-22-2009, 08:26 AM
I don't have all my required courses done, though =\. I don't even have my core classes done! I still have a lab science and an HP.

Bunny
04-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Not the Army E-6 one. I wish they were as easy as paper-tests, not stand in front of five other people and answer questions they ask.

Oh you're going up for E-6? Yeah, good luck with that one. You basically have to kiss major ass in order to get it.

Ouch!
04-22-2009, 08:51 AM
I just wrote a 12 page essay after reading 134 pages of a book which absolutely contradicts over 100 years of literary criticism so that I could make a qualification regarding a book which has gone largely unchallenged in the decade since its publication. I did all this in six hours when I had three weeks to do it.

Studying is for the weak.

Kirobaito
04-22-2009, 09:14 AM
I just wrote a 12 page essay after reading 134 pages of a book which absolutely contradicts over 100 years of literary criticism so that I could make a qualification regarding a book which has gone largely unchallenged in the decade since its publication. I did all this in six hours when I had three weeks to do it.

Studying is for the weak.
12 pages in six hours? Damn, that's commitment. A few weeks ago it took me 12 hours to do 10 pages. That included many breaks, of course, to walk around the house in the middle of the night.

I can't even get myself to do a 3-5 page primary source analysis that's due tomorrow.

blackmage_nuke
04-22-2009, 12:50 PM
I wait until the day before or the morning that i will need it to study something.

Rye
04-22-2009, 02:35 PM
I never studied in High School, and I still ended up getting a 3.7-ish GPA.

I learned how to study this semester. And I learned how to do hours on hours of endless work, for two months straight. AND I learned how to start papers weeks ahead of time and chip away at them and revise.

I guess it's worth it, because I think I'm coming out of this semester with a 4.0 GPA. Eff yeahhhh! *crotch thrust*

I think the fact that college work is more challenging kind of helps.

:bigsmile:

rubah
04-22-2009, 03:10 PM
I don't have all my required courses done, though =\. I don't even have my core classes done! I still have a lab science and an HP.

I thought you told me you had them all >:[ My bad, then

trancekuja
04-22-2009, 03:25 PM
I'll usually wait for the last moment to prepare for an exam. This implies a lot of sleepless nights.

qwertysaur
04-22-2009, 03:26 PM
How qwerty "studies"

I have a test today? OK lets check livejournal, Neskaya, eyesonff, omgmygame, facebook, post at one or more of those as needed, then take test. At least I go to all my classes and pay attention/takes notes. :p

It works, I got a 101/100 on my last exam xD

Madame Adequate
04-22-2009, 03:31 PM
I wish I could be a cool kid and say "Wing it and see what happens" but I can't, because this is what I do:

Learn deadlines for all major assignments/assessed presentations as early as feasable.
Create a timetable with aforesaid dates on. Schedule work to ensure that I have sufficient time for each piece.
Get work done.
When it comes to exams, study previous year's questions, the syllabus, and teacher hints to guess at the questions. (May be unnecessary depending on how strong the hints are :p) Select one main and one backup topic of study for each question group (We usually have two lists of questions, six to eight per list, choose one q per list to answer).
Read over lecture notes, important publications, etc. Then make short revision sheets outlining the framework of my arguments, and a few essential facts and figures.
Revise from said sheets, a lot, every day leading up to the exam.

Keeping to the assignment timetable has been tough, because of sickness in 2nd year and heartbreak in 3rd, but the timetable itself saved me both times because I had enough work out of the way that I could ignore most uni obligations for a couple weeks without being in any trouble.

As for exams, sometimes the revision turns out to be pointless. I slaved like a dog for my US Politics exam last year, and whilst one question came up perfectly, the other stuff I revised was totally absent. I had to wing a question on immigration, and I ended up getting my best exam result ever on that test :p (Though whether you can call something I've been learning about for five+ years "winging" I don't know xD)

Yeah I am a giant nerd :( I've got to finish my 10,000 word/30~ page dissertation real soon (as in today, so that I have a few days to sit back before I read over it all for final corrections etc.) and I cba though. Really cba cba cba.

Edit: Also, attend all classes. In the last two years of college I've missed fewer classes than many people I know miss in a month.

scrumpleberry
04-22-2009, 06:18 PM
I have them, they're just bad.

Shiny
04-22-2009, 07:06 PM
It seems I have a photographic memory so staring at things for a bit before a test seems to help.

Tavrobel
04-23-2009, 01:08 AM
I could study, if I wanted to, but I elect not to, because the intellectual disadvantage others could have would be absolutely enormous. I do homework because I have to for the grade, and I attend lectures because it's the easiest way to have someone to talk to. I have found it is much easier to learn something by telling someone else what they are supposed to know, and if they raise an objection, I've learned something new.

If I did study, it would involve glossing over my notes, and reading what I wrote about things that don't look familiar. But everything always looks familiar.

Breine
04-23-2009, 04:49 PM
I'm not studying at the moment. But back then I used to take quite a lot of notes.

Caraliz
04-23-2009, 10:52 PM
Listen in class, re-copy down my notes, try to read the chapters or something and also get wicked high while studying.