PDA

View Full Version : Childrens Television?

Badge
04-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Is it just me, or is children's t.v mostly rubbish nowadays?

Shows just don't seem to have that spark any more. I mean I am a big fan of older children's t.v shows derived from as early as the 60s to the 90s, like 'The Herbs' 'Sharky and George' 'Camberwick Green' 'Rhubarb and Custard' 'Mary Mungo and Midge' etc etc. and apart from Spongebob and Bruno the Monkey I don't enjoy watching any Children's t.v today(because I am truely 6 years old at heart).

What are your opinions on Children's T.V compared to about 15 years ago?
What are/were you're favourite shows?

Momiji
04-22-2009, 07:00 PM
There's more blatant crude humor in lots of cartoons today, and that automatically makes them suck more.

Psychotic
04-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Sharky and George was the absolute business. I loved it! Did anyone else think "Why do they call it children's television? I'm gonna watch this stuff forever!" back in the day? And now I'm an adult...well, I guess I betrayed my child self's vision.

If kid's tv is on when I am channel flicking these days, I don't usually watch it 'cause yeah, as Momiji said, kiddie crude just aint funny. The one exception to that is a cartoon called The Secret Show, which I think is pretty clever and funny for a kid's show.

LunarWeaver
04-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Shows for children all look worse to me today because I am not the age to enjoy them anymore and nostalgia makes the cartoons I watched look better than they actually are.

Rantz
04-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Shows for children all look worse to me today because I am not the age to enjoy them anymore and nostalgia makes the cartoons I watched look better than they actually are.

Something like that, yeah :monster: I doubt children's television has changed that much since we were kids, it's more to do with ourselves changing and whatnot.

Depression Moon
04-22-2009, 08:35 PM
I agree with that mostly, but there a lot more than some other years of cartoons trying to be edgy rather than funny. but I think we had those in the 80's and 90's, but just a couple that I think I would have loved as a child are The Fairly Odd Parents and Mt life as a Teenage Robot.

Marshall Banana
04-22-2009, 09:41 PM
Too many shows are 3-D or just plain ugly.

My favorite show was and still is Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears! Live each day the Gummi way. :gruffi:

I would still watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the Mario cartoons, too, if I could.

Wolf Kanno
04-22-2009, 09:49 PM
I think my main problem with kids shows are that half of them are so PC and go so far out of their way not to be offensive or scary that they become utterly void of any feeling or wonderment. The other half try too hard (and generally fail) to be "edgy" and "hip". There are exceptions but not too many.

The few somewhat current kids shows that have been fun have been Courage the Cowardly Dog, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Old school Dexter's Lab, Fairy Odd Parents, and Pucca. Other shows worth noting but I have a hard time categorizing them cause I disagree with calling them "Kids shows" are Samurai Jack and Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Gwawr
04-22-2009, 10:16 PM
I never watched a huge amount of tv as a child. In a house of 13, there were always fights over the remote and I just went upstairs and did some practice.

I did manage to catch Gummi Bears and Pigeon Street, which I liked. Nowadays, again I'm not too fussed.

rubah
04-22-2009, 10:21 PM
stu and I have this plan that if we have kids, we will just buy up seasons of dvds of the most excellent shows and make a little personal tv station complete with commercials because they are timeless and teach patience.

(ideas so far: original power rangers, digimon, seasame street, spider-man, batman, w-men cartoons, wishbone, but also things like nova, simpsons, frasier, seinfeld etc later at night ;D)

Dreddz
04-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Childrens TV died when Otis the Aardvark left CBBC.

Aurey
04-23-2009, 12:36 AM
Not sure if this is technically fifteen years ago but, Canadian children programs were the best to watch in the nineties: Uh Oh, Dudley the Dragon, Stickin' Around, Big Comfy Couch (Alyson Court seasons only), Tales of the Riverbank, PJ Katies Farm... and some others I can't remember the names of. Basically a lot of the shows on YTV. Now all the new programs are just awful, to me anyway.

Wolf Kanno
04-23-2009, 06:45 AM
Whenever I think of Canadian television, I remember the gem "You Can't Do That On Television" that was a great show, which snowballs into all the other good shows on Nickelodeon like Pete and Pete, Whose Afraid of the Dark, Salute Your Shorts and Eerie Indiana (which was on another station but still awesome.)

Balzac
04-23-2009, 05:08 PM
Childrens TV died when Otis the Aardvark left CBBC.

QFT

Though he was on tv not so long back, which pleased me greatly.

Yar
04-23-2009, 05:32 PM
I didn't watch much children's TV growing up. We watched adult sitcoms and dramas as a family.

Madame Adequate
04-23-2009, 08:00 PM
I think it's a question of our perspective. Tbh it's not like most of us sit down and watch kid's shows much these days (And even if we do we aren't KIDS anymore, so we won't watch things the way we used to), and on top of that, we don't remember all the bad stuff from back when we were young, either because nostalgia, or because we watched one episode, saw it was crap, and never watched again.

That all said, Lazytown.

Avarice-ness
04-23-2009, 09:04 PM
I don't get to watch those shows yet, the babe's only 7 months old, So nickjr is all it is.

TBQH, I'm not bothered, I've been watching various nickjr DVD's for the past three months and get cable tomorrow. I don't care what she watches tomorrow, as long as it's NOT an episode that I've already seen.

I don't remember watching kids show, my only memories are like looney toons and up.

MJN SEIFER
04-23-2009, 10:50 PM
There are some moddern kid's shows I sort of like, though not as much as other things (be they other shows or kid's shows from when I was a kid), I always try to look at things from a review-ish stand point (I'm just like that)

Breine
04-23-2009, 11:03 PM

So true.

Elrilmala
04-24-2009, 06:16 PM
I can see some differences

15 years ago, there was smoking in every kids movie and more langauge.. (like when we made a big deal to shut up XD)
Now, Theres more refrence to sexual things and men getting hit in the groin. I swear thats getting old.