PDA

View Full Version : pmnnMcYp.dll

SeeDRankLou
04-22-2009, 07:21 PM
I have a computer issue. Everytime my computer starts up, it gives me the following error message:

"Error loading C:\Windows\system32\pmnnMcYp.dll

The specific module could not be found."

So I looked this up online, and this was some kind of malware that my computer likely got rid of. But I guess it did something to my computer before my virus scanner got rid of it that makes my computer look for it or something, I'm not sure.

Is there any way I can make my computer stop looking for that file?

Rantz
04-22-2009, 07:39 PM
I'd suggest looking in msconfig if it's set to load on startup. For Windows XP, click Start > Run, type "msconfig" without quotes and press enter. For Windows Vista, open the Start menu, click in the search field, type "msconfig" without quotes and press enter.

In the window that opens, click the Autostart tab. See if the dll file in question is in that list, and if so, uncheck it and click OK. You'll get a notice when you next restart Windows, just check the checkbox in that notice before you close it and it won't show at the next restart.

SeeDRankLou
04-22-2009, 09:29 PM
I found it in that list. However, before I uncheck it, it's under the startup item "MSServer". Is that anything important?

Rantz
04-22-2009, 09:33 PM
MSServer is spyware from what I can tell, so uncheck it. It's a good idea to go through all of the checked items in that list from time to time and uncheck the ones that seem sketchy. Just Google their names if you're unsure.

SeeDRankLou
04-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Ok cool, thanks for your help.

Peegee
05-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Something like ccleaner (CCleaner - Home (http://www.ccleaner.com)) will look up empty windows registry entries and should be able to find these for you.

My brother's gf has a similar issue (windows saying file blah blah not found) during boot up. So I ran it and bam easy.