PDA

View Full Version : I Like Circles!!!

Cloud88
04-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Random battles. To some, it's something fun to do to ease your way through a game. To others, it is the Bane of their Existence. But everybody has to do one at some point. So, if you're actively searching for a random battle in a game such as Shadow Hearts or one of the earlier FF's, how do you do it? Do you run/walk in circles, squares, triangles, straight lines, or do you have absolutely no pattern at all?

Me, I Like Circles!!!:p

Craig
04-23-2009, 04:52 PM
like this thread, my random battle hunting has no meaning. i just run randomly

sorry that was mean of me, but ill press send anyway

Anniexo
04-23-2009, 05:09 PM
I just run around like crazy till a monster pops up.

Bolivar
04-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I don't know. I too am a fan of random battles, if they can be done to my liking.

Circles? Sometimes. I don't know if it counts as a circle, but I sometimes like to run around the perimeter of what i'm fighting in, so it might be an oval for a forest or a bunch of weird stuff if it's a room.

Meat Puppet
04-23-2009, 05:47 PM
I like to spell out curse words

Vermachtnis
04-23-2009, 06:21 PM
I like to find a big area and run around in circles. Random encounters are fun for grinding and hunting rare items. Not so much fun when exploring the area for the first time and your low on health and the last save point was like 10 areas away.

Zeromus_X
04-23-2009, 06:49 PM
I usually just use a Dark Bottle/something to make random encounters happen more often and run in a circle if I'm looking for them.

Usually I try to find ways to just avoid the random encounters though, especially if it's a game where they're really frequent.

Rase
04-23-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm boring, I just go back and forth on one stretch of land and mash A when I hear the battle start. I'm usually doing something else at the time, like surfing the internet or reading, and will just look over from time to time to see how it's going.

ljkkjlcm9
04-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Depends on the game I suppose. In FFI there were certain tiles which would ALWAYS be a fight, so there was no need to run around aimlessly.

Otherwise, I stay near an entrance/save so I can heal, but run around randomly.

THE JACKEL

Depression Moon
04-23-2009, 08:36 PM
run around an area mostly like everyone else, but I can agree that soemtimes random battles can be a nuscance. I hate it when I can't even make three steps before getting in another battle.

Anniexo
04-23-2009, 10:06 PM
I like to spell out curse words

That is so awesome, I'm going to try it

DarkBahamut
04-23-2009, 11:52 PM
I don't need to run. I just yell, "YAHTZEE!" and I fight a battle.

scrumpleberry
04-23-2009, 11:57 PM
If I'm in a room in a dungeon, I walk around sticking to the walls, normally clockwise. On the world map or in looser dungeons or later games, I find a pretty landmark and go around it in alternating directions. Uhhh if I'm supar bored and tired I just run up and down and swear a bit and button mash maybe.

Bunny
04-24-2009, 01:38 AM
Erratic movements without a specific shape or form.

o_O
04-24-2009, 01:52 AM
I'm a circle runner. In games where the other characters of your party follow you around like FF8 if you time it just right with exactly the right sized circle, you can get all three characters to be in the same place as each other as they run in circles and that amuses me greatly.

If I'm not running in circles then you can bet I'll be running back and forth along some sort of notable feature in the landscape, like a set of chocobo tracks.

Shoeberto
04-24-2009, 02:03 AM
I go back and forth in straight lines usually if I'm grinding, though for the most part I despise random encounters.

blackmage_nuke
04-24-2009, 02:12 AM
On the earlier ff's with tiles I walk in squares, in the later ones i tend to walk back and forth in time with the music if possible.

Tavrobel
04-24-2009, 03:15 AM
Usually a circle around a save point, but if the game gets you into battles based on the running animation, and not actual distance moved (FFX and FFX-2 come to mind), I'll put my character next to a wall, and hold the controller down until I see the screen switch.

Slothy
04-24-2009, 04:45 PM
There are exceedingly few RPG's I've played where grinding is required if I fight the battles I run into while simply playing the game, so I rarely grind. If I do have to though, I prefer to just run in any old random direction changing my path often. Except for in 2D RPG's anyway. In those I'll just move back and forth between two squares.

theundeadhero
04-25-2009, 07:28 AM
I pretty much do the same as scrumpleberry.

Jiro
04-25-2009, 08:06 AM
I run in circles most games. Sometimes I run randomly though, when circles bore me.

Timekeeper
04-27-2009, 02:03 PM
When I'm really bored (mostly when I'm grinding...) I tend to trace the surroundings so that I walk on every square.

Lacarus
04-27-2009, 03:03 PM
8's. In FFVIII you can get in this pattern without touching eachother. It looks funny.

Loony BoB
04-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Depends on where I am. If I can opt for a wide circle I'll tend to go for that. Otherwise it varies between circles, lines or following the boundary of an area.

Rantz
04-27-2009, 03:44 PM
BoB has the right idea.

Rocket Edge
04-27-2009, 05:07 PM
The figure 8.

Heath
05-01-2009, 10:48 AM
I usually follow the boundary of an area and run back and forth between exits. Though it's rare that I actually bother as I'm not a big fan of random encounters.

Momiji
05-01-2009, 03:22 PM
I usually find the longest stretch of land in the area and run from one end to the other for a long time.

Mo-Nercy
05-01-2009, 03:47 PM
I used to have a third-party turbo controller that came in handy for levelling.

What I would do was set the turbo (so that holding down a button = multiple presses), tape down the X (or O) button, loop an elastic band around the analog stick and go to bed.

It was also good for FFX-2 and the Gunner dressphere's Trigger Happy. It made the Via Infinito easy as.

What the heck happened to that controller anyways? *curious*