PDA

View Full Version : Metroid games.

KentaRawr!
04-29-2009, 09:09 PM
I've been playing Metroid games a lot lately. Much to my disappointment, I've found that both my Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission carts have dead save batteries. I guess I'd better take up speed-running. :(

What do you think of the Metroid series?

LunarWeaver
04-29-2009, 09:12 PM
I think Metroid games are incredibly boring :(

No animals were harmed during the making of this opinion.

Markus. D
04-29-2009, 09:21 PM
>:{

Dreddz
04-29-2009, 09:27 PM
They're alright. I've only played Super Metroid and got about 2 hours in before calling it a day. One of the few game series where I can respect the quality of the titles but can't seem to get into them. Same with Castlevania.

Rase
04-29-2009, 10:06 PM
I enjoy the 2D ones, but don't feel the series lends itself particularly well to the 3D realm. I have yet to beat any of the Prime games or Hunters, but Super Metroid and Zero Mission make me a happy camper.

Vermachtnis
04-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Super Metroid is one of my favorite games of all time. I don't know how many times I've beaten it. But since I suck at rushing through games, I've never seen the best ending.

Momiji
04-29-2009, 10:44 PM
It's a fun series, but not one I can play a lot of without getting incredibly bored.

theundeadhero
04-29-2009, 11:00 PM
I never seemed to like them even though everyone around me obsessed. I was hardcore enough to beat the original NES metroid when I was 8 or 9, and maybe a few times afterward, but I didn't even really enjoy it then. I just had nothing else to play at the time.

ljkkjlcm9
04-29-2009, 11:45 PM
I have enjoyed every metroid game I have ever played, which would be all of them. Hunters was the most disappointing however.

THE JACKEL

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-29-2009, 11:51 PM
Super Metroid is one of the greatest games of all time. It's all been downhill since then, really.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/samrun.gif

Craig
04-29-2009, 11:56 PM
super metroid scared me when i was a boy! the music, the atmosphere and those freaky statues that came to life!

Zeromus_X
04-30-2009, 12:09 AM
I've played Zero Mission and Fusion on the GBA. I could never beat the original or Super Metroid. Should go back and try to play them...someday.

Shoeberto
04-30-2009, 01:02 AM
Super Metroid is one of the greatest games of all time. It's all been downhill since then, really.

It pains me to admit it, but this is pretty much true.

KentaRawr!
04-30-2009, 01:14 AM
I disagree. In my opinion, this is how the series progressed in terms of hills.

-------------------Super Metroid-
------------------/-------------\--------------Metroid Prime--MP2--Metroid Zero Mission
---------Metroid 2---------------\-------------/----------------------------------------\
--------/------------------------Metroid Fusion------------------------------------------Metroid Prime 3
Metroid

In case that's hard to read, pretend that the -s don't exist and there's only the /s and the \s.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-30-2009, 01:32 AM
Yeah, Zero Mission was a definite improvement over Fusion. I guess I just meant to say that, while the series might continue to have ups and downs, no installment released since 1994 has come at all close to the beauty and perfection of Super Metroid.

KentaRawr!
04-30-2009, 01:36 AM
Well I wouldn't say Super Metroid was perfect, but I do agree that it's the best in the series thus far.

I also just realized that I forgot about Metroid Prime Hunters on that hill. But really, who cares about that one? :rolleyes2

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-30-2009, 02:43 AM
I don't think you have enough \s for that one anyway.

Momiji
04-30-2009, 02:53 AM
Super Metroid was by far the best in the series; that much is undisputed. But I don't understand why Fusion is so disliked; I enjoyed it, and it seems to be most like Super Metroid in terms of graphics and gameplay. The original NES Metroid is too confusing for my tastes and seems to be heavy on memorization. Metroid 2 was a fun game, though.

As for the Prime series, I have them all (sans Hunters), but I just can't get into them-- but that may be more of my general dislike for most FPS games more than anything else. Graphically, Metroid Prime 1-3 are gorgeous. I just can't be assed to play them. :(

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-30-2009, 03:11 AM
Super Metroid's gameplay is all about free-form exploration, soaring acrobatics, and sequence-breaking. Fusion is about running a linear series of claustrophobic environments in the order the game wants you to progress, in the way the game wants you to progress. It's suffocating.

Momiji
04-30-2009, 03:19 AM
Now that you mention it, I do remember Fusion being really linear. It's been years since I've played it. I still enjoyed it, regardless.

Marshall Banana
04-30-2009, 03:53 AM
I played Super Metroid last summer for the first time, and my save file just disappeared when I was half done! Some game.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-30-2009, 04:00 AM
Yeah, it automatically erases your saves if you're a bad girl.

Vermachtnis
04-30-2009, 04:24 AM
Super Metroid's gameplay is all about free-form exploration, soaring acrobatics, and sequence-breaking. Fusion is about running a linear series of claustrophobic environments in the order the game wants you to progress, in the way the game wants you to progress. It's suffocating.

That and the computer got on my nerves.

KentaRawr!
04-30-2009, 05:32 AM
I think the computer got on everyone's nerves. One thing it got right that I don't think Metroid: Zero Mission did was atmosphere. One thing I loved about Super Metroid besides the free-roam adventuring was its atmosphere. Particularly in the water area, with the space pirate lab full of Mocktroids. I think it was called maridia. I felt like certain areas of Metroid Fusion gave me the same feeling areas like maridia did in Super Metroid. (Not that I can go check. Dead save battery. :mad2:)

Wolf Kanno
04-30-2009, 05:37 AM

This sums it up, but I have not actually sat down and played the Prime series completely through. Fusion isn't too bad, Zero Mission was pretty good. The first one was pretty amazing back in the day though I agree its a bit of a chore now a days. I'm still playing 2 cause I found a copy a few years back.

KentaRawr!
04-30-2009, 06:51 PM
If it were not for the let down of Metroid Prime 2: Echos, I would fight more valiantly against those that state that the Prime series is something to behold.

Super Metroid is the pinnacle of what Metroid aimed to perform, and likely gave a little more. But to hold it as the holy grail with no forthcoming rival is rather silly.

I really enjoy Metroid Prime 2, actually. I'd almost go as far to say that I enjoy it more than Metroid Prime 1. I used to really hate it, though, and now I can't remember why I did. Maybe it was that darned Boost Ball guardian. >_>

(My Metroid Zero Mission save battery actually isn't dead. I turned it on this morning and saw that my save files have returned to me, and I don't get how it did. :p)

Breine
04-30-2009, 10:29 PM
The only game in the series I own is Metroid Prime. I like that game a lot, even though I haven't really had the time to finish it yet. The atmosphere is great, and I dig that it's strictly a FPS, but also has adventure elements.
I really want to get a hold on the other games.

Also, Samus is the coolest chick in space! :cool:

Heath
04-30-2009, 10:40 PM
I really like the Metroid games that I've played and really do need to get around to playing some of the more recent ones (Zero Mission was probably the most recent I've played). I wasn't that overawed by Super Metroid and probably prefer Metriod Prime and Zero Mission, actually, but I've really enjoyed them all. Fusion was disappointing, but it was still playable.

Medi
05-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Ha, this reminds me of that Metroid trivia thread I made like four years ago.

So of course I love Metroid! I have them all except Prime 3, Hunters, and Pinball. I think they all have their own unique strengths, Super Metroid being the strongest, but I do enjoy the creative variety throughout the series.

My Fusion save battery is dead, too!

KentaRawr!
05-01-2009, 01:14 AM
Something I wonder is how the series will continue after Fusion, if it does. :mog:

Medi
05-01-2009, 01:19 AM
Something I wonder is how the series will continue after Fusion, if it does. :mog:

Seriously! I hope they get started on another side-scroller over the next few years. I'm dying to know what happens to Samus after all that BSL BS.

KentaRawr!
05-01-2009, 04:10 PM

Seriously! I hope they get started on another side-scroller over the next few years. I'm dying to know what happens to Samus after all that BSL BS.

But the question is, what will we do without Metroids or X Parasites? :(