PDA

View Full Version : The great psycho

Serapy
05-02-2009, 06:31 AM
Hey, I have found something whilst playing the game last night.

Have you heard about this story spoken by an islander, such an event which occurs when you talk with him in front of the station at Fisherman's Horizon? This story almost precisely came from The Door into Summer; a time-travel novel. A great read, I`d recommend it to anybody that is into time-travel.

This exact conversation occurs when you begin talking with him:

"I loovve cats, yeah.
You like cats?"

Just like Davis in the novel, who absolutely loves cats as well. His cat (Pete) is the only main friend he has, and apparently he trusts him more than anybody else.

You have two choices, but select 'Yeah' for now. And after that,

Yeah...cats are great...

Notice how his name got changed? Simply from Man to Psycho. Davis was just like that in the novel. He became crazy and begun taking revenge on certain persons who have betrayed him in the past.

"My house, there's like 256 cats, yeah."

Here`s the interesting bit, in the novel; Pete (Davis's pet) ultimately refuses to go outside from indoor, so he stays indoor pretty much all the time. In fact, there were so many doors on the house that lead to outside, yet he`s still refusing to go outside. Why? He absolutely hates snow! Hence The Door into Summer ... 256 cats living in his house because all of them hate snow!

As for the '256' bit,

Yeah, but what's weird is I can't count no more than that.

Did you get the joke of the message above? 8bit = 0 ~ 255 (total of 256) = 0xFF (16 decimal). Basically, you cannot go for more than 256 (or 255 if you exclude the zero number) in 8bit. Writing in a dialogue is unaffected because it does not interfere memory other than outputting that dialogue to the end user, that's how he can safety say 256. In other words, if you put 256 in 8 bit, that won't work. Any number more than 255 would be rendered as 16 bit.

I cannot imagine living with 256 cats... I remember visting a guy`s house, he had around 15 cats at the time and man... that house was full of horse:bou::bou::bou::bou: smell!

Anyway, the '256' joke bit as well as the cat reference was obviously added by the programmer. Was that Nojima`s idea? I`m not so sure.

Davis appears to be identical to Ultimecia in terms of subplots and characterisations. The two characters both lack these things, isn`t that ironic?

Off-topic, I`m wondering if Nojima actually took the 'Rikki' name from the novel for Final Fantasy X? By the way, Rikki used to be Ricky`s nickname in her childhood times. Actually, this is probably nothing.

If you select 'No', he will call you a heartless son of a bitch! lol

I`ll add more information about this later if I have time.

[EDIT]- fixed something in this post due to some incorrections, my sorries.

Rantz
05-02-2009, 09:56 AM
I never caught the byte joke before, that's a little funny. :p Does his name really change? I haven't noticed.

Serapy
05-29-2009, 08:09 AM
Yes, his name really changes to Psycho after his first dialogue when you select the 'Yeah' option. Check it out in the game.

I`ve realised that there`s something wrong with this translated (default) message. So, I`ll try to make it clearer:

"In my house, there are like 256 cats, yeah."

Although, F.H didn`t have any snow that have caused the cats to stay indoor, so perhaps this story acts as a metaphor for something else. F.H is known for peace and have hatred of violence.

The islanders become a bit afraid when G-Soldiers taunt them. Cats become afraid of them as well, so the cats went and stay in-door. The cats have the same feelings as the one from the novel; hating something so they decide to stay.

As for the Psycho bit. When G-Soldiers destroyed parts of F.H`s property, the islanders probably will get mad, even madder because of the "violence doesn`t resolve anything" line that they always have believed in for the past years.

Bolivar
06-05-2009, 08:55 PM
good catch!

Aerith's Knight
06-05-2009, 10:20 PM
This is the first thing you post which I actually find interesting and a good catch. :p

Good job.

NeoCracker
06-06-2009, 12:08 AM
Serapy has made quite a few good catches that are cool, its just odd when they are placed in a theory. :p

Though yes, I don't even like FF VIII and I find this pretty interesting.

Heath
06-06-2009, 12:15 AM
Hah, I had no idea. It's pretty cool that a game that I first played absolutely years ago and that I've played through numerous times since still has things I never noticed in it, like that name change.

Shattered Dreamer
06-06-2009, 02:58 AM
You know you've played FFXIII way too much if you start picking up on such things:p

Future Esthar
06-30-2009, 04:53 PM
You overlooked another intended joke(wonder how you donīt noticed it already).

Write 256 in hexadecimal and the number of bits next.

What do you get?

qwertysaur
06-30-2009, 07:33 PM
ff8. Same logic about how mathematicians confuse Christmas and Halloween.

Correlation =/= causation.