PDA

View Full Version : The Mystery about Instructor Aki

Serapy
05-02-2009, 07:42 AM
He`s the person that deducts your SeeD`s rank heavily for violating the rules of Balamb Garden. He`s exceptionally rare because you don`t see him that often in the game.

Anyway, his name is displayed as Instructor Aki in the game. I wonder why Aki? I checked the Wikipedia for this special character and it shows ヤマザキ先生, Yamazaki-sensei. So, Yamazaki. Noticed anything strange? I believe that his name is actually Yamaz Aki, hence Instructor Aki.

Hmm ...

Rantz
05-02-2009, 09:50 AM
It's a conspiracy! :erm:

The Last Oath
05-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Maybe Aki is just short for Yamazaki in japanese.

Sensei means instructor,

hence;

Instructor Aki.

Serapy
05-03-2009, 07:26 PM
I don`t think Yamazaki was his surname, his first name is Yamaz and his surname is Aki. If you have read the MMR research group's Mystery Magazine, you may understand what I mean.

The Last Oath
05-04-2009, 10:01 AM
If his surnam is Aki, that works too.

You call your teachers Mr/Ms [[Surname]].

Why not call this guy Instructor(teacher) Aki.

Marky Tee
05-04-2009, 03:41 PM
so whats your point?
that was just random, obscure triva

Lacarus
05-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Instructor Trepe.

If he were called Instructor Yamazaki it would seem that he came from an Japanese inspired country in VIII's world. Since there aren't such a thing, perhaps they shortened it to the much less Japanese Aki.

Serapy
05-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Dr. Kadowaki. Usually, the names of characters between Japanese and English versions are the same. Although, there are some exceptional cases that some names are different ... but this Instructor Aki case is quite strange.

Lacarus
05-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Hm, I always thought of Kadowaki as a Russian inspired name. Like Kadowak or Kowalski.

Usually, the names of characters between Japanese and English versions are the same.
Of course they do. But they don't exactly name the main character Musashi Hamaoto or similar. Apart from few exeptions, there aren't many typical Japanese names in the series.

Momiji
05-05-2009, 03:40 AM
You find theories in the most pointless subjects...

I'd say it's just a case of poor localization.

The Last Oath
05-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Hai. Agreed.

Rostum
05-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Okay, so they decided on Aki for the translation. Now what?

Big D
05-09-2009, 01:16 AM
Some names get changed in translation. It just happens, for convenience or consistency or whatever reason. "Yamazaki" would be a much more distinctly Japanese name than any other in the English release, so changing it to Aki simply keeps the style more uniform. As Lacarus says, basically.

I wonder if Instructor Xu's name was different in the Japanese script? There seems to be more of a Chinese influence there...

Serapy
05-29-2009, 07:45 AM
You find theories in the most pointless subjects...

Why the need to exaggerate? I was just trying to make the forum more active.

Some names get changed in translation. It just happens, for convenience or consistency or whatever reason. "Yamazaki" would be a much more distinctly Japanese name than any other in the English release, so changing it to Aki simply keeps the style more uniform. As Lacarus says, basically.

Either way, I don`t think it was a good reason to make her name so short when in fact 90% of players don`t know who Instructor Aki was. Poor localisation cannot be the case either.

So I`m guessing none of you have read the MMR Research Group's Mystery magasine before.

Christmas
12-13-2022, 08:21 AM
He is responsible for laying monsters' eggs so that you could satisfy your bloodlust in the training centre thus which is why you dun see him much. :bigsmile: