PDA

View Full Version : X-Men Origins: Wolverine (Spoilers Marked)

Depression Moon
05-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Just merge this thread if the other one isn't too old.

I just came back from seeing the film and I thought it was great. Unlike X-Men 3 I just didn't see it as being just a good action-film, but really didn't portray the comics well. X-Men Origins Wolverine did the opposite. It opens up beautifully in the credits, showing a recap ofWolverine and Sabretooth's past from around WWI to current day. I am not really familiar with Wolverine as some are, but I know people who are and I look up information on him from time to time.

I thought the movie did a spectacular job, revealing his past. The action was great in the movie and it had some emotional monets. Deadpool's entry was cool, althought they didn't retain his origins as closely as Wolverine, but the story was about him not Deadpool. I remember in an older trailer with them showing an image of Storm as a child, but I didn't see it in the film.

I'm not sure if this would be a spoiler to the movie or not so I'll just put it in anyways. The movie ended as you might have thought when Logan lost his memories and went off to his own to do whatever..

Gambit was also cool.

8/10

Mercen-X
05-02-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm not sure what a Creole accent is really supposed to sound like, but Gambit, I thought, sound like some texan and I didn't hear the vernacular we're used to coming out of Gam's mouth.

With Ryan Reynold's playing a central character in the movie... I come out with mixed feelings. I'm fine with an actor playing a major character in a Marvel translation and a DC translation, but two characters in a Marvel translation? C'mon. He suits the character well, that's what he does... but even despite the fact that Hannibal King of Blade Trinity was not really (afaik) a well-known character this ripple in the consistency with which the Marvel directors has thus far adhered to gnaws at me. AFAIK no actor has been used to portray different MAIN characters in any Marvel movie or DC movie.

As for... wait, did you say Deadpool? That was Deadpool. I knew he was supposed to have a mouth but I didn't think they'd end him like that. I thought that was supposed to be Project Omega Red. Wait, that's a Russian project, isn't it?

With the exception of FJD, the story aligns well with many other versions of the X-Men timeline, including the first 3 movies and X-Men: Evolution (again minus FJD). I'm pretty much swayed to follow the movie adaptation of any franchise, so to me, any other adaptation made to comics tends to not matter. I don't know if I just made any sense.

Marshall Banana
05-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Predictable story. Unemotional. Extreme action.

This movie is extremely extreme. That's the only reason I enjoyed it.

Rantz
05-03-2009, 12:35 AM
Predictable story. Unemotional. Extreme action.

This movie is extremely extreme. That's the only reason I enjoyed it.

That actually makes me want to see it. Probably because I'm a boy.

Marshall Banana
05-03-2009, 01:23 AM
A guy stuffs his fist in a tank gun, which causes the rounds to backfire, destroying the tank.

Ouch!
05-03-2009, 01:43 AM
Aside from some awesome special effects, the movie was utter :bou::bou::bou::bou:. I'd go so far as saying that the special effect-driven action isn't anywhere near good enough (at times it got downright cheesy) to forgive some of the things they did with this movie. Sabertooth as Wolverine's brother? Really? They also absolutely bastardized Deadpool.

Disappointing movie, and I had low expectations going in.

Big D
05-03-2009, 01:48 AM
Wolverine's back-story is an awesome one, but for this movie I have to agree with many of the critics. They kind of skimped on the emotional depth, in favour of coming up with a series of contrived excuses for awesome fight scenes in outlandish locations.

The movie also throws into question some of what was 'established' in the earlier films - like Logan's memory loss. The other films are fairly clear that this happened when he had the adamantium grafts, which made perfect sense. I get the feeling they only altered this for the new movie so that he'd have his ultimate augmentation for more screen-time.

Nice to see some cameos from both new and familiar mutants, and much greater expansion on Stryker's past projects.
With Ryan Reynold's playing a central character in the movie... I come out with mixed feelings. I'm fine with an actor playing a major character in a Marvel translation and a DC translation, but two characters in a Marvel translation? C'mon.I was hoping they might've kept Tyler Mane on, from the first movie. It would've helped to link the two stories together a little more, I reckon. As it is, it's virtually impossible to see the two as the same character, especially since the first film's Sabretooth is an anonymous, virtually mute, and totally disposable henchman with no evident connection to Wolverine at all.

Personally, I would've preferred to see a greater arc of Wolverine's life. How mutants were perceived in those different eras, how he coped with seeing friends and family age and disappear, while he always survives no matter what.

While I enjoyed the movie, I also largely agree with its pretty poor ranking on Rotten Tomatoes. Knowing about the poor reviews helped to lower my expectations somewhat.

Rantz
05-03-2009, 08:04 AM
A guy stuffs his fist in a tank gun, which causes the rounds to backfire, destroying the tank.

Awesome. :cool:

Bunny
05-03-2009, 11:28 PM
I have heard it was a terrible movie. From the single trailer that I saw, I am inclined to believe that this is a very true statement.

Miriel
05-04-2009, 12:06 AM
The two main reasons to watch this movie:

http://i42.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/t4wdvs.jpg
+
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn204/iceicky/STICK2.jpg

Rawr.

Marshall Banana
05-04-2009, 01:14 AM
Eh.

Momiji
05-04-2009, 01:57 AM
Is it better than the third movie? I really liked the second movie, but didn't care for the first or third. Then again, getting me to enjoy a superhero movie is a difficult thing to do, and is only something the Spiderman series has ever done for me. :p

Shlup
05-04-2009, 02:17 AM
Two thumbs up for the booty shots.

I thought it was cool. All my comic nerd friends were pissy, but BJ and I enjoyed it. I thought the Adamantium bullets were pretty lame. I think Wolverine's memory loss was different in the comics?

The Easter Egg after the credits was lame.

Wolf Kanno
05-04-2009, 05:26 AM
Sabertooth as Wolverine's brother? Really?

Actually he is.

They also absolutely bastardized Deadpool.

Quoted for the truth. It was a decent flick up until this BS.

. I thought the Adamantium bullets were pretty lame. I think Wolverine's memory loss was different in the comics?

I kept thinking "Now he's a Werewolf? WTF?!"

In the comics, Logan has his memory erased by the heads of the Weapon X project. Also, his relationship with Silver Fox is also questionable in the books cause the Project implanted him with false memories as well. Their relationship is much more complex in the books.

Anyone else thinks its funny that White Queen is now Native American and no longer psychic?

Overall, it was a much better film than X-Men 3 but that's not really saying much. That movie was terrible and having Logan stand there and growl for an hour and a half would be considered better. Coincidentally, that is what this movie mostly is. I'm still royally pissed about Deadpool and I felt Gambit was more laughable than awesome.

I'm starting to wonder if there is a rule in Hollywood that says only the first two comic films in a series can be good.

Bunny
05-04-2009, 05:40 AM
I'm starting to wonder if there is a rule in Hollywood that says only the first two comic films in a series can be good.

It is generally easier to make one or two good films than it is to make three or four. Directors and writers, as well as the entire production staff, usually do not stay on for more than two films unless they have a personal stake in the films.

Ouch!
05-04-2009, 05:48 AM

Actually he is.
In what version of X-Men?

Wolf Kanno
05-04-2009, 05:54 AM
It's revealed in Origins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_%28comics%29)

EDIT: Actually its still somewhat in the air but Origins does imply Sabertooth and Wolverine are brothers. The head writer left it opened to be interpret by future writers. Though the movie has Young Creed listed as Dog...

Jiro
05-04-2009, 05:56 AM
I enjoyed the movie, but I have very minimal knowledge of the X-Men universe outside of the cartoons I watched when I was younger (which is probably wrong as well :p).

I think it's a good way to get people into X-Men if they weren't a fan before.

Monol
05-04-2009, 08:16 AM
The movie wasnt bad.

Its WAAAY better than X3

One reason cause it had gambit

Who could have had a bit more character but I still like what they tried going for (the cards were slick and his staff play was fun)

Ryan Reynolds was freakin awsome I really REALLY wish he didnt die though, Deadpool was supposed to have his own spin off films with reynolds as the lead bit oh well sae lavei (or however thats spelt)

There were some weak moments at the end but the action was fun.

And I thought the opening transitions with war scenes to be magnificent O_O Oh and the guy who played sabrewolf was freakin amazing

Not a bad film, Its worth watching at least.

Depression Moon
05-04-2009, 01:49 PM

Actually he is.

They also absolutely bastardized Deadpool.Quoted for the truth. It was a decent flick up until this BS.

. I thought the Adamantium bullets were pretty lame. I think Wolverine's memory loss was different in the comics?

I kept thinking "Now he's a Werewolf? WTF?!"

In the comics, Logan has his memory erased by the heads of the Weapon X project. Also, his relationship with Silver Fox is also questionable in the books cause the Project implanted him with false memories as well. Their relationship is much more complex in the books.

Anyone else thinks its funny that White Queen is now Native American and no longer psychic?

The White Queen looked white to me as well as Silverfox. I know from the cartoons and and what I've read online that she was Native American, but she obviously wasn't in the movie. Emma could have still had her telepathic powers they weren't just represented in the film. I also thought the adamantium bullet thing was funny. I was thinking that he lost his memory when he had
escaped to the farm house

That's the first in the Origins series. I wonder if they're still planning for the Magneto one and the teen version of X-men doesn't sound too well.

Del Murder
05-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Overall, it was a much better film than X-Men 3 but that's not really saying much. That movie was terrible and having Logan stand there and growl for an hour and a half would be considered better. Coincidentally, that is what this movie mostly is. I'm still royally pissed about Deadpool and I felt Gambit was more laughable than awesome.

This is how I feel pretty much, though I don't care that much about Deadpool. It was worth the watch if just simply for the fact that Hugh Jackman is so cool.

Del Murder
05-08-2009, 06:15 AM
Hey was Stan Lee in this movie?

Paro
05-08-2009, 06:51 AM
didn't take long for the endings to pop up online

http://io9.com/5236369/before-you-se...secret-endings

Wolf Kanno
05-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Hey was Stan Lee in this movie?

I don't remember spotting him...

Masamunemaster
05-19-2009, 12:31 AM
Gambit didnt have the louisianian(how ever that goes lol) accent....it was more texan as said earlier