PDA

View Full Version : Bus stops

Rantz
05-05-2009, 04:11 PM
What do you think of waiting at bus stops?
What do you do at a bus stop?
What are the bus stops like where you live?
How do you get information about when your bus comes?
Is there anything you feel bus stops are lacking, in terms of comfort, information or whatever you can think of?

Just for the record, I may use some of the replies in a school project (anonymously of course), but don't let that stop you from answering in freeform or just generally relating to the subject rather than answering the questions as they are. Nothing formal.

Yar
05-05-2009, 04:13 PM
My city of 40,000 has no mass transit system. :D

Rocket Edge
05-05-2009, 04:16 PM

If the weathers bad, its a pain. Also, there might be a few old people there who like nothing better than to ask as many questions as they can because they like nothing more than a chat. That can get really annoying.

Chillout and listen to my mp3 usually.

They are fine I guess. Seating and cover from the rain as standard.

Booklets, the net, and phone services.

Is there anything you feel bus stops are lacking, in terms of comfort, information or whatever you can think of?

Nothing really!

Rantz
05-05-2009, 04:30 PM

Booklets, the net, and phone services.

Don't the bus stops have any information? :Eek:

Loony BoB
05-05-2009, 04:37 PM
I dislike the process of waiting in general, and waiting at a bus stop fits in with that dislike.

I pace, talk with Danielle (if she is there) or anyone else I might know (if they are there) and check the time until the next bus comes.

They are decent enough. Most are sheltered, at least the ones I use. Often now on they have an electronic display which shows you how long it will be until the next two buses (for each service) arrive at the stop. They use GPS systems on the buses, which is handy.

See above. If they don't have the display, you can pull up a display on the internet using the bus stop number, which we do from our home when planning to go out and I sometimes do when out and about in order to figure out if I should just walk or if there is a bus about to arrive. Finally, if all else fails or if you are planning ahead, there are the normal bus timetables as well (on the internet, in booklets and at the bus stop itself).

A large man who beats the crap out of people who smoke within or upwind of bus stops.

Kirobaito
05-05-2009, 06:30 PM
"What do you think of waiting at bus stops?"
I'd rather do it than miss the bus, though I don't think anyone particularly likes waiting at a bus stop.

"What do you do at a bus stop?"
I pace. A lot.

"What are the bus stops like where you live?"
The one that I take from my apartment complex has a covered shed-thing with benches inside if it's raining. The one that I depart at does not. It's just a sign.

"How do you get information about when your bus comes?"
I got it from the internet at the beginning of the semester. It arrives at my apartment complex on :00, :15, :30, and :45, and at :09, :24, :39, and :54 at where I depart at (and re-board to go home). They're quite consistent about it.

"Is there anything you feel bus stops are lacking, in terms of comfort, information or whatever you can think of?"
Strippers.

Levian
05-05-2009, 07:45 PM
I hate the bus and everything it stands for.

It's overpriced. Going a few stops costs the same as going 20 minutes outside town. It's never on time. All freaks are unique, but if there's one thing they have in common, it's the bus, they always seem to gather around at the bus for some reason. Maybe it's their headquarters. The floor in the toilet stall is soaked in urine. Really, the only way you'd get me to take the bus oftener was if there was a bomb on it and Sandra Bullock was there to disarm it.

Balzac
05-05-2009, 07:57 PM
I can't stand having to use the peasant wagon, so I try not to as much as possible.

Blue Harvest
05-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Boring.

Wait.

They places where busses stop. Nothing more, nothing less.

The timetable on the wall.

Seats. All bus stops should be fitted with leather sofas.

qwertysaur
05-05-2009, 08:04 PM
I play DS so no big deal.
Play DS.
A sign with a bus on it?
Schedule.
The bus needs air fresheners. xD

Vermachtnis
05-05-2009, 08:12 PM
I gotta fart. But if I did I'd get caught. Wait I think someone already did. Hmm...that's odd I don't have to fart anymore.

Make idle chit chat.

A sign with a bus on it?

Announcements

Blunt weapons to bash loud kids. I've only ridden the school bus. But that was for 12 years and the kids kept getting louder and louder.

Rye
05-05-2009, 08:26 PM

Sucks if you're alone. It's usually (in Rhode Island, at least, which is the only place I've ever taken a bus before) outside in the open, and off the side of a highway or something wicked lame like that.

Obsessively check my phone, because they're often late.

^

Online! It's hard to make sense of though.

They're usually late, and the people on the bus are pretty much crazy and homeless and frightening. Don't like it.

Marshall Banana
05-05-2009, 08:29 PM
I've never been to a bus stop. =O

scrumpleberry
05-05-2009, 08:32 PM

How?

They're okay I guess. Nasty thing is the ones on the side of a main road and you get pollutions and everything is late and rainy. All bus stops should have a shelter roof thingy imo just in case of bad weather.

Caraliz
05-05-2009, 10:14 PM
I don't like taking buses so I try not to whenever possible.

Zeromus_X
05-06-2009, 05:17 AM

It's okay. I hate when two or three buses pass by the other side before your bus actually comes though.

Stand/sit and wait.

Pretty standard. There's a bench, trash can, and some shelter over the bench in case it rains (which is about once per year).

I just look it up on the internet.

Nope.

Shiny
05-06-2009, 06:40 AM
If they'll be any seats in the front. I also think that there better not be any annoying people talking loudly on their cellphones or blasting their crappy music on the bus.

Stand there and look for the bus to come up, or play games on my cellphone.

They tend to either just be signs or benches where there's a cover.

Before I knew the schedules down pat, I used to ask my dad who in turn would call the actual bus services to get he times.

The stop I frequent because it's close to my house, needs a bench and a cover. It's just a sign. It's inconvenient standing there in the rain for sometimes 10-20 minutes waiting on a bus.

Heath
05-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Given what my home is like (definition of a backwater) and that I can't drive, buses are invaluable to me. The fact that my Dad works for the bus company also meant that until I was 19 I got free bus and train transport, which was great for someone who lives about 12 miles away from all his friends. I don't mind waiting as I usually have my mp3 player, phone or a book with me anyway, so provided there's a shelter I'm fine.

My university has a fantastic bus stop of which there are several around York. They're electronic and show the next bus times, as well as having a BBC News ticker at the bottom. On another screen, you can also play games, browse BBC news, get maps and directions, search for jobs and e-mail people. I know the bus is usually only 10 minute away, but hey, I can spend those 10 minutes playing a Whack-a-Mole type game!

blackmage_nuke
05-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Waiting itself has never bothered me but then again ive never waited in the rain without shelter.

Listen to my mp3

Pretty good actually, most have little shelters

I barely ever catch the bus except when the trains arent running and then theres usually info everywhere about which busses to catch

Seatbelts maybe.

I really prefer trains and walking to busses.

Marshall Banana
05-06-2009, 11:32 AM

How?
Well, there are no buses here! There is no public transportation of any kind - aside from school buses!

Rantz
05-07-2009, 07:30 PM
My university has a fantastic bus stop of which there are several around York. They're electronic and show the next bus times, as well as having a BBC News ticker at the bottom. On another screen, you can also play games, browse BBC news, get maps and directions, search for jobs and e-mail people. I know the bus is usually only 10 minute away, but hey, I can spend those 10 minutes playing a Whack-a-Mole type game!

Cool, this has pretty much been our project—to design an interactive bus stop. We had our presentation today, three out of four teachers pointed out my group's solution as the best and the remaining one didn't mention a favourite at all. So thanks for all your answers, they've been a help!

Madame Adequate
05-07-2009, 07:37 PM
I've used a bus once in the past year+, in England. I don't like to wait and be stationary! :kaobeg: It's also much more expensive and I'd rather buy sodas with that money.

Oddly, the bus service where Rye is is far superior to ours, despite being American. It was almost always on time, the buses were relatively spacious and roomy, and it was extraordinarily cheap. The only real downfall was that some services ended rather early in the day.

There are GPS trackers on the buses and this transmits data to the bus stops so you see when the next bus is due, but as only some bus networks actually have that, but others also use the route and stop, it's not that amazing. Also I'd rather know when the bus is coming because it's reliable.

rubah
05-08-2009, 05:52 AM
I haven't used a bus in about a year, but our new apartment has a stop right outside it that I'll probably use quite a bit!

Zeldy
05-08-2009, 05:48 PM
It takes effort. Jib.

Usually just listen to my music or chat with friends whilst waiting impatiently for the bus.

They're somewhat sheltered like, although the stop where I get my college bus isn't sheltered.

There's a small timetable. The stop I use only has one bus!

BIG COMFY SEATS.

Athena Shadowraven
05-13-2009, 08:32 PM
What do you think of waiting at bus stops? I get restless, but with my mp3 player it's all good.

What do you do at a bus stop? Smoke. Not at the bus stop, but somewhere away so at least other people won't be passive smokers.

What are the bus stops like where you live? Sheltered. Seats available. List of bus numbers and a comprehensive list of stops.

How do you get information about when your bus comes? There's this AskIris thing available at my place. Text your bus stop number, followed by your bus service number to a certain number and you'll get the ETAs of the arriving bus and subsequent bus. Awfully useful for people who are always late (me) and people who can't decide to light up because the bus might arrive anytime (me).

Is there anything you feel bus stops are lacking, in terms of comfort, information or whatever you can think of? Well, some bus stops here are already equipped with the ETAs and all, but I'd just like to see it installed everywhere, so I don't have to keep texting that service arrival number. Costs monies, you know!

Christmas
08-05-2022, 05:50 AM
My bus never stop at any stops. It magically fly into the sky farting rainbows behind. :bigsmile:

Mr Gashtacular
08-05-2022, 11:38 AM
It's fine, especially with a book/smart phone
Read, talk to my wife if she's around
Really varied. If i'm heading north, my closest stop is a pole in the ground. If I'm headed south, its a sheltered stop (only a roof and two glass sides in this case) with a small digital screen with the next bus times on it, which is very useful.
The sheltered bus stops have those slanted seats (to stop homeless people sleeping on them), which are comfortable for maybe 5-10 minutes but after that you might as well stand. They're also covered in various ads. Sometimes they smell like piss but not as bad as the older model of sheltered ones made of brick, that are a bit more secluded (and good for pissing in).
If sheltered, I follow the digital screen. If not, I look at the app. My city bus app has like a map which shows you where your current bus is. It's not always super accurate but close enough to be convenient.
The sheltered ones could have more sides, sometimes when it rains sideways a roof just isn't enough. This would also keep you out of the wind.
I think they should bring back normal bench seating. maybe if we took care of the homeless problem correctly, we could all be comfortable (the great british tradition of making everyone suffer to ensure a particular minority suffers is very clear when you see our anti-homeless measures). I would prefer less ads and more accurate bus tracking. I don't really care too much about games and entertainment stuff, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.