PDA

View Full Version : Eyes on Little Big Planet

Depression Moon
05-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Im not sure how many of you here have PS3s or this particular game, but I just want to discuss it here. Little Big Planet, a game come true for me. It's a marvelous platformer that is not only that, but a media sharer. You can recreate plays, make a power point presentation, or a music jam session.

I am in love with the create and share feature. I love for the opportunity for me to experiment and create my own video game. I love it even more when I have the opportunity to share it with the world, but there are a couple of issues that I have with it. There's a steep learning curve, but I'm okay with that, the main problems that I have involve in the amount of bugs there are. If I have a problem in my level say I forgot to attach a light to a wall, I go attach it to fix the problem, but when I go back I notice that something else has unnatched from my attachment. That's one little bug. For a while I had a major one when my entire stage fell apart when I took off pause.

Another inconvience is the zoom feature. I don't understand why won't they use the R3 button for a quick zoom in when the L3 is for a quick zoom out. It would make things a lot easier to move around for precision if I'm trying to move something large in a small space.

I was wondering if any of you have played the Cosmo Canyon level online, it's pretty cool, but I couldn't find much other FF levels besides all the music ones.

If you haven't tried a level called Frostland castle you should, it's fun and very unique.

Bolivar
05-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Little Big Planet, is in its truest form, a giant toybox.

I read that in the intro to the strategy guide written by one of the creators and I think that sums it up perfectly. The regular story levels are amazing and fun as hell to play; indeed some of them get very challenging and are very memorable.

The Metal Gear Solid 4 expansion was a lot of fun, I liked how the pulled off sneaking aspects, dodging searchlights like in MGS1.

Likewise, alot of the community developed levels are simply phenomenal and its truly a joy to see that this community of gamers is spending its time creating things for other gamers to enjoy, things truly from their own imagination, not just stuff heavily suggested in the main game. I heard the devs even say that some of the creators on the PSN have inspired them and showed them things they didn't even know they could do in the game.

I started building a level, but I understand it takes a tremendous amount of time and I'm busy playing other people's creations as well as other PS3 games, but I do eventually want to do one. I'll be sure to check out that cosmo canyon level you talked about.

edit: one more thing that really amazes me about this game is that despite its simplistic nature, and novel concept, it really is a graphically impressive game and the physics are insane as well.

Pete for President
05-07-2009, 11:23 PM
It is fun.

It is really, really fun. That's the term to describe this game.

Although I have had a lot of concepts for levels, I don't really have the time to build something as good as the top rated levels on the community. I enjoy playing those as much as the levels that come on the disc.

It's fun.

Just... really good fun.

Rocket Edge
05-08-2009, 01:13 AM
It was the first game I bought and well, I'm slighty disapointed with it. But thats on the basis that I didn't really know what I was getting. I think its neat that you can create your own levels but, as what was mentioned above, it takes a steep learning curve to know fully how to do one. Even at that, I'd say it would take weeks to create a decent level, and thats time I just don't have.

I can appreciate it as a unique & cool game, but its just not really for me.

Depression Moon
05-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Yeah it could take weeks or even several months although my first level only took me three days and the community has given it a 3. My next two I''m planning to be one of the best out there, but there are some bug issues that are preventing me at the moment. If someone knows how to make a working prison then please tell me, I'll credit you.

There's also a Metal Gear Solid pinball game that's extremely addicting. I didn't know you could make a pinball game out of the game. That's amazing!

Dreddz
05-08-2009, 07:01 PM
I was pretty pumped for the game before release but once I had played the beta I wasn't interested. The idea is still good but the execution sucked. I just don't find the core gameplay fun and that crippled the experience for me.

Also the amount of DLC released after the games release was disgusting. Its like they had it planned from the start to milk the games fanbase for all its worth.

Depression Moon
05-08-2009, 09:57 PM
The DLC I downloaded was free. The only won that costs money that I might purchase is the Metal Gear Solid pack. The game can still be played fine without it.

Bolivar
05-15-2009, 06:11 PM
I was pretty pumped for the game before release but once I had played the beta I wasn't interested. The idea is still good but the execution sucked. I just don't find the core gameplay fun and that crippled the experience for me.

Also the amount of DLC released after the games release was disgusting. Its like they had it planned from the start to milk the games fanbase for all its worth.

I don't know man, we all pretty much knew what LBP was going to be before it came out, I'm not sure how they could have messed up the execution. Maybe you just had a bad experience from the BETA because I really can't find any complaints.

Last night I was blown away yet again by the sheer amount of creativity and quality that is coming out by the user-created content.

Search for a creator named "poms" he has two insane levels - The Bunker, and Hell's Angels. He's also got a collection of mini-games level that's pretty great.

Depression Moon
06-09-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm trying to create a Final Fantasy level right now. I'm using a copied version of someone's To Zanarkand song level. I'm trying to get the song to play through most of the entire level and I think I can do it, but I would rather make a IX level with a IX song playing in the background.

If anyone is out there who has a IX song lvl let me know and make it copyable so I can use the music in a lvl. My PSN is TheBlackTabard.

Sephex
06-09-2009, 09:28 PM
I got it last Christmas, and I really got into it. I haven't played it as much as I like because of other games, but I always got sidetracked playing other peoples levels anyway.