PDA

View Full Version : Character Spotlight: Selphie Tilmitt

Unstoppable Pig
05-08-2009, 12:53 PM
I have had hard time to admit it but after Laguna, Selphie is my favorite character in the game. I donīt know why, I guess her superpositivity and her nunchakus ( this makes her token ninja) is what appeals to me.

What I donīt like about her is that she ends up with Irvine. I think she is better with Zell or maybe even with Squall but Irvine no. He just seems that he dumps her very soon. Also Selphie is notable since she is in Kingdom Hearts series and tutorial in Dissidia.

What do you think about her?

Lacarus
05-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Well, both Squall and Zell are spoken for. I think Irvine's perfect for her. After all he's not the ladies man he wants everyone to think he is.

Jessweeee♪
05-08-2009, 04:50 PM
I agree about Zell. The pigtailed girl isn't even good enough for a name xD

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-09-2009, 04:52 AM
I have had hard time to admit it but after Laguna, Selphie is my favorite character in the game. I donīt know why, I guess her superpositivity and her nunchakus ( this makes her token ninja) is what appeals to me.

What I donīt like about her is that she ends up with Irvine. I think she is better with Zell or maybe even with Squall but Irvine no. He just seems that he dumps her very soon. Also Selphie is notable since she is in Kingdom Hearts series and tutorial in Dissidia.

I like Selphie because she doesn't try to act all tough and bossy like Rinoa and she doesn't complete Squall's sentences like Quistis. She appears to be a happy person and a hyperactive person but she's not a one-note character her reaction to the Garden Bombing in the mountains proves that. If Final Fantasy VIII was more like Dragon Quest V in the sense that you get to chose your own virtual girlfriend I'd chose Selphie everytime. ;)

Takero
05-18-2009, 08:12 AM
Selphie is also one of my favorite characters mainly because of her Hyperactive personality and that she keeps her high spirit even in hard times . I personally think Irvine and Selphie make a perfect couple , Though I really like the Squall+Selphie .

nik0tine
05-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Selphie is certainly one of my favorite characters. Probably my #2 as well.

Gullick
05-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Its cool how Selphies constantly up and happy most of the time. Tbh, its been a while since ive played it, so i can't remember much about her. But she was cool from what I remember

Rantz
05-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Selphie is the best character in the game. http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/189/64selphienunchucks.gif

Aerith's Knight
05-21-2009, 11:53 AM
http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/3847/images/selphie.jpg

Everything about her just screams: "Do me!".

I like that.

Roogle
05-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Selphie was one of the few perky characters of the Final Fantasy series that I learned to appreciate.

Final Fantasy VIII manages to make use of its small playable character cast to put every character in a position of leadership at some point. Selphie takes charge on the mission to stop missiles from hitting Balamb Garden and, as the player, this forces you to feel a bit of camaraderie with her. We see her in various emotional states throughout the game besides being happy and positive all the time. This helps lend credibility to her character as someone who is a positive thinker yet realistic in light of the circumstances around her.

I think that if Final Fantasy VII had done this with characters besides Cloud, Tifa, and Cid, then other members of the cast would have been received slightly better: Cait Sith, Yuffie, and Vincent come to mind.

Tuhkasieni
05-21-2009, 07:19 PM
I love Selphie and shes one of my best characters in the game ;)
And I agree, she should totally be with Zell.
Zell really needs someone who's optimistic and cheerful to calm him down every now and then when he gets anger issues:D

rubah
05-22-2009, 02:29 AM
I, like Selphie, adore Sir Laguna.

sir helix
05-22-2009, 02:35 AM

she acts like a weak lil girl till he limit kicks up and were all safe again whoohooo.

[offtopic] "unstoppable pig", thats a great name.

Heath
05-24-2009, 05:26 PM
I must admit, I rarely use Selphie in battle and have never really been a huge fan of her. Of the female characters, I'd probably say that I like Edea and Quistis more. I found her a little annoying initially but that subsided a little as the game went on, but not enough for me to genuinely like her a lot.

Golden Warrior
05-24-2009, 07:43 PM
I always like Selphie more than Rinoa. IMO Rinoa is better for Squall and Selphie and Irvine are good together. I also like Irvine better than Squall. Squall is just too serious all the time.

darkchrono
06-14-2009, 03:15 AM
Selphie was one of the few perky characters of the Final Fantasy series that I learned to appreciate.

Final Fantasy VIII manages to make use of its small playable character cast to put every character in a position of leadership at some point. Selphie takes charge on the mission to stop missiles from hitting Balamb Garden and, as the player, this forces you to feel a bit of camaraderie with her. We see her in various emotional states throughout the game besides being happy and positive all the time. This helps lend credibility to her character as someone who is a positive thinker yet realistic in light of the circumstances around her.

I think that if Final Fantasy VII had done this with characters besides Cloud, Tifa, and Cid, then other members of the cast would have been received slightly better: Cait Sith, Yuffie, and Vincent come to mind.

Yuffie and Vincent were not even characters that you had to get so it wouldn't of made much sense for them to wrap an entire mission around them.

When I played FF8 I played it soon after I got finished with ff7 so it was hard for me to appreciate Selphie's character because her personality type seemed almost identical to Yuffie's. And in my opinion ff7 had far supperior character development then ff8 so whenever I saw Selphie on the screen I was thinking of Yuffie's character and not Selphie.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
06-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Whenever I saw Selphie on the screen I was thinking of Yuffie's character and not Selphie.

I think the big difference between Yuffie and Selphie is that Yuffie's kind of mean-spirited at first because when you meet her in the game she challenges you to a battle, casts a magic spell on you that transforms you into a frog and she steals some gil from you because even though she's rich she can't resist stealing money from the people who really need it.

Depression Moon
06-14-2009, 05:43 PM
I guess her superpositivity and her nunchakus ( this makes her token ninja)
Ninja. She's more of a gambling black mage isn't she?

The pigtailed girl isn't even good enough for a name
What pigtailed girl?

I Don't Need A Name
06-14-2009, 07:04 PM

Yuffie and Vincent were not even characters that you had to get so it wouldn't of made much sense for them to wrap an entire mission around them.

When I played FF8 I played it soon after I got finished with ff7 so it was hard for me to appreciate Selphie's character because her personality type seemed almost identical to Yuffie's. And in my opinion ff7 had far supperior character development then ff8 so whenever I saw Selphie on the screen I was thinking of Yuffie's character and not Selphie.

Final Fantasy 7 didn't even understand the term character development. They're all as single emotioned throughout the whole game! (other than Cid)
VIII has always been my favourite for interesting characters, and Selphie topped it for me in that game, she's just amusing. And i agree, I've never liked Irvine. Selphie+Zell :up:

black orb
06-15-2009, 08:43 PM
>>> Im surprised no one has complained about Selphie's haircut style. I mean she has the most disturbing hair in ff history.

Roogle
06-15-2009, 08:59 PM

Yes, I think it was a mistake on the developers' part to make them optional characters. The other games in the series firmly establish the characters as permanent party members and allies of Cloud, and because of their optional nature, there is no way for the developers to effectively utilize Yuffie and Vincent in the normal game.

Depression Moon
06-15-2009, 10:50 PM
>>> Im surprised no one has complained about Selphie's haircut style. I mean she has the most disturbing hair in ff history.

I was going to mention it. it's not disturbing at least to me. Looks like some old 50's doo.

Jessweeee♪
06-16-2009, 12:11 AM

I like her hair. I would do mine that way if short hair didn't look weird on me.

Tuhkasieni
06-16-2009, 10:39 AM

I kinda enjoyed kickin Seymours butt, his hair is actually superannoying...

Selphies hair is okay... :)

Lumina
06-20-2009, 08:00 AM
I was never a big fan of Selphie, but she's okay. I loved her limit break, though. The End was epic.