PDA

View Full Version : Do all Zelda games do this?

MJN SEIFER
05-09-2009, 12:06 AM
I have only played Link's Awakening and Oracle of Seasons. I have also watched a YouTube playthrough of Oracle of Ages.

In all three games there is a particular item that a character wants (in Link's awakening for example it is a stuffed toy), and when you give it to that character s/he will thank you with another item, and after that what you can do (for the most part it's optional) is find someone who wants that item, and that person will give you something for it - basically you just keep swapping items again and again until you get something good.

My question is, do all the Zelda games have this in them?

Momiji
05-09-2009, 12:33 AM
Lots of them do. Pretty much all of them, as far as I remember. It's even introduced in the very first game with the letter from the old lady for your medicine. It's not as complex as person A gives you item B for item A, and then you give item B to person B, and so on, but the concept is still there.

Levian
05-09-2009, 12:43 AM
The Zelda games with trading sequences that comes to mind is Link's Awakening, the oracle games and Ocarina of Time. Link's Awakening was really the first to have a real trading sequence.

Majora's Mask has a sequence too but it's not elaborate (5 trades) and the prize is rather crappy.

Craig
05-09-2009, 12:59 AM
guys, guys. i think the real issue of this thread is "I have only played Link's Awakening and Oracle of Seasons."

what are you doing man? get out there and play a link to the past! ocarina of time! twilight princess! phantom hourglass! the rest of them!

sdm42393
05-09-2009, 01:17 AM
what are you doing man? get out there and play a link to the past! ocarina of time! twilight princess New Play Control Ocarina of Time! phantom hourglass! the rest of them!

:p

theundeadhero
05-09-2009, 06:24 AM
I don't think the letter really counts with The Legend of Zelda. Some random guy tells you to show a letter to the old woman. You show her the letter and then she makes her shop available to sell the medicine. Not so much a trading game as the old lady has to trust you before she'll sell you grandpas cough medicine.

Marshall Banana
05-09-2009, 06:37 AM
This is a big sequence in Ocarina of Time.

The Cucco Lady asks adult Link to make her special blue Cucco happy. Link makes it happy by letting it wake up Talon. Then, Link takes the special Cucco to Cucco Lady's brother in Kokiri Forest.
Cucco Lady's brother gives mushrooms to Link to deliver to the old woman in the potion shop in Kakariko village. The old lady makes a potion out of them, and Link returns to the forest with it.
Cucco Lady's brother is no longer there, but a creepy Kokiri girl is, and she asks Link to give the potion to her. She gives Link a saw in return.
The saw belongs to the Boss Carpenter in Gerudo Valley. When it's returned to him, he gives a Broken Goron Sword to Link.
When Link takes the Goron sword to the giant Goron, Biggoron, on top of Death Mountain to be fixed, he asks Link to get eye drops. Biggoron gives a prescription paper to Link to give to King Zora.
Depending on how far Link has progressed, King Zora may need to be unfrozen. Anyway, after Link talks to King Zora, he gives Link the ingredients to take to the old man on Lake Hylia.
The old man makes the eye drops from Link's ingredients, and Link rushes them to Biggoron on Death Mountain.
The Goron uses the eye drops and gives a Claim Check to Link.
After three days, Link can get a Biggoron's Sword from Biggoron!

Breine
05-13-2009, 08:57 PM
I don't remember something like that in Twilight Princess. Maybe I missed it, or maybe my memory is just bad. Someone enlighten me, please! :elk:

Depression Moon
05-14-2009, 07:16 PM
I think most all of them do and you have Oracle of Seasons? Mann, I had sold my copy back in the day along with my Game Boy Color, man was that stupid!

Rase
05-15-2009, 07:16 PM
I don't remember something like that in Twilight Princess. Maybe I missed it, or maybe my memory is just bad. Someone enlighten me, please! :elk:
Best I can think if it one that's storyline-based:

Getting Ilia's memory finally back. You start with Renado's letter to Telma, receive the doctor's invoice from Telma, get the scent from the doctor's office, the information about the statue from Louise, get the actual statue from the monsters, show the statue to Ilia to learn about the hidden village, get the Ancient Sky Book from Impaz in the hidden village, and show the book to Shad to finally re-activate the Dominion Rod.

But yeah, not nearly the same as the other games.

NeoTifa
05-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Trade a letter to the old lady and she'll sell you potions.

MJN SEIFER
05-15-2009, 11:48 PM
Lots of them do. Pretty much all of them, as far as I remember. It's even introduced in the very first game with the letter from the old lady for your medicine. It's not as complex as person A gives you item B for item A, and then you give item B to person B, and so on, but the concept is still there.

The Zelda games with trading sequences that comes to mind is Link's Awakening, the oracle games and Ocarina of Time. Link's Awakening was really the first to have a real trading sequence.

Majora's Mask has a sequence too but it's not elaborate (5 trades) and the prize is rather crappy.

I see thank you answering, I had been playing recently so I wondered.

guys, guys. i think the real issue of this thread is "I have only played Link's Awakening and Oracle of Seasons."

what are you doing man? get out there and play a link to the past! ocarina of time! twilight princess! phantom hourglass! the rest of them!

The only Nintedo related consoles I have are 3 GamBoys (real, color and advanced) and a Wii. I aim to get Ages and Link's Awakening (yes, I know I have it, work that one out!). Are there any Zelda games for the Wii you care to recomend?

This is a big sequence in Ocarina of Time.

The Cucco Lady asks adult Link to make her special blue Cucco happy. Link makes it happy by letting it wake up Talon. Then, Link takes the special Cucco to Cucco Lady's brother in Kokiri Forest.
Cucco Lady's brother gives mushrooms to Link to deliver to the old woman in the potion shop in Kakariko village. The old lady makes a potion out of them, and Link returns to the forest with it.
Cucco Lady's brother is no longer there, but a creepy Kokiri girl is, and she asks Link to give the potion to her. She gives Link a saw in return.
The saw belongs to the Boss Carpenter in Gerudo Valley. When it's returned to him, he gives a Broken Goron Sword to Link.
When Link takes the Goron sword to the giant Goron, Biggoron, on top of Death Mountain to be fixed, he asks Link to get eye drops. Biggoron gives a prescription paper to Link to give to King Zora.
Depending on how far Link has progressed, King Zora may need to be unfrozen. Anyway, after Link talks to King Zora, he gives Link the ingredients to take to the old man on Lake Hylia.
The old man makes the eye drops from Link's ingredients, and Link rushes them to Biggoron on Death Mountain.
The Goron uses the eye drops and gives a Claim Check to Link.
After three days, Link can get a Biggoron's Sword from Biggoron!

That is a good one. I haven't got the game though, is it GameCube? Also I think Mushrooms = Potions seams to be a "tradition" aswell?

I think most all of them do and you have Oracle of Seasons? Mann, I had sold my copy back in the day along with my Game Boy Color, man was that stupid!

Yes, I have Seasons. I don't rate it as high as Awakening despite it being a newer game. It's a good game, but does a few things wrong in my opinion. But I like it at the end of the day.

Levian
05-16-2009, 12:09 AM
with the wii you can download:

The Legend of Zelda
Adventures of Link
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Zelda: Majora's Mask

You can also play gamecube games, so you can also buy Zelda: WindWaker for gamecube. You can also get 4 of the above games on a collector's disk for gamecube, but the disc freezes a lot so it's better to just download them on the wii really.

With the GBA you can also buy Zelda: the Minish Cap.

and of course you could buy Twilight Princess which is an actual wii game.

It would probably be easier to list which games you couldn't get :D which is pretty much just Phantom Hourglass, which is on the DS.

The Summoner of Leviathan
05-16-2009, 05:44 AM
with the wii you can download:

The Legend of Zelda
Adventures of Link
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Zelda: Majora's Mask

Nintendo has yet to release Majora's Mask for Virtual Console (at least in North America), though I hope they do in the future. :/

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-16-2009, 06:43 AM
It's out for the Virtual Console in Europe. Levian just loves raising this issue because, as a European, he is full of hubris and schadenfreude.

Breine
05-16-2009, 09:53 AM
It's out for the Virtual Console in Europe. Levian just loves raising this issue because, as a European, he is full of hubris and schadenfreude.

Yes. And also because it usually sucks to live in Europe when it comes to gaming - Japan and North America always (ALWAYS!) get things first, and sometimes we don't get them at all!

Carl the Llama
05-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Especially in the case of Grandia III... iv wanted to play that game for so long, but on the flip side we do get some bonuses in the form of FFX International, I dont know about you but I would much rather have waited and had the international version then play the standard one.

Levian
05-16-2009, 05:42 PM
Ah, I just figured it should've been released in NA by now, but I am full of both of those things, yes.

Rase
05-18-2009, 06:16 PM
Or perhaps you were just gazing into the future at the time. (http://kotaku.com/5259257/the-nintendo-download-a-milestone-marked-by-majoras-mask)

NeoTifa
05-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Damn, that was the cutest pic ever. They change the url so you can't display it anywhere :(

Ahahahaha I did it!!!!!

05-19-2009, 04:08 AM
Or perhaps you were just gazing into the future at the time. (http://kotaku.com/5259257/the-nintendo-download-a-milestone-marked-by-majoras-mask)

OMFG I NEED MORE WII POINTS NOW! :D

NeoTifa
05-19-2009, 04:19 AM
I don't think I have any :(

05-19-2009, 04:25 AM
I had just added some with my credit card to buy LoZ:LttP, now I need to add more for Majora's Mask. Sadly I am 300 points short and min amount to add is 1000 points. :/