PDA

View Full Version : Garage Sale

Rye
05-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Has anyone ever had one of these?!

I love Garage Sales. Even though I rarely buy, I love going to them. My mother and I flock to them.

I have so much junk, I'm having a garage sale on Saturday. I'm selling the books I won't ever read again, and my old CDs, and various other things. I'm selling things for really cheap (like $3-5/book) but I have SO MUCH STUFF that if I sell it all (not likely, but even it's just a portion of it), I could well make a few hundred.

It'll be good because it looks like unless I work at the place I worked at last summer which was the commute from hell, I'm gonna be unemployed for a while. :[

Yar
05-13-2009, 11:18 PM
I live in the Midwest. There are garage sales pretty much everyday. :p

We had one once. It was a while ago.

I don't usually look for them, but you can find neat things. Like I've found old unwanted video games which satiated the nerd in me. :D

Caraliz
05-13-2009, 11:21 PM
I'm thinking about having a garage sale myself. Good idea to advertise on Craigslist if you are so inclined.

kikimm
05-13-2009, 11:27 PM
We've never had one, and I never go to them. Personally they just equal white trash to me, people pawing around for junk and haggling over 50 cents difference and ick. It could totally be not like that, but I don't really care, I will stick with my grandiose generalization. :monster:

Meat Puppet
05-14-2009, 12:54 AM
I almost went to one once that was quite close to kikimm’s house as I was walking past there were these two fat old guys I think they weren’t gay but you never know standing in front of like a couch or something with their hands in their pockets and their eyes all squinted and one was like "Hear four the garage sail?" and I decided against it and walked away without saying anything and then I used my money to buy a blueberry muffin which was above average so yeah not a dollar wasted that day.

Momiji
05-14-2009, 04:17 AM
Heh, garage sales were freaking awesome way back when I had stuff to sell. Now that my inventory is rather slim now that I only buy things that I plan on keeping, I don't make much off of them.

That, and the halfwits who come to buy are a pain in the ass. I'm selling a perfectly good CD for 2-3 dollars when it originally cost 12. Don't try to bargain with me when I'm being generous enough. Buy it or GTFO.

What's even funnier are the losers who try to haggle down stuff that costs less than a dollar--
Buyer: "I'll give you a nickel for this."
Me: "It only costs a quarter."
Buyer: "That's too expensive."
Me: "...it's a quarter. Take it or leave it."
Buyer scowls and walks away
Me: *muttering* "Ingrate."

Oh btw I'm trying to sell a lightly-used Gamecube, if anyone's interested. I could definitely use the money right now.

Rye
05-14-2009, 04:19 AM
Oh man, I've never seen someone haggle like that! I sure hope no one tries that with me! I'm not afraid to call white trash shenanigans if it comes down to it! :kaoangry:

Breine
05-14-2009, 09:35 AM
I remember some years ago you could, if you were a youngster, sign up to have a booth at a big garage sale/flea market in the middle of town. I signed up, sold the majority of the toys I played with as a kid (I was maybe 11 at the time) and got lots of money out of it.
Making money is neat.

I also like going to garage sales/flea markets/second-hand and antique stores since they usually have some interesting and different things for cheap money.

Momiji
05-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Oh man, I've never seen someone haggle like that! I sure hope no one tries that with me! I'm not afraid to call white trash shenanigans if it comes down to it! :kaoangry:

You'll be fine as long as you keep in mind that you have the final say in what sells and what does not.

rubah
05-15-2009, 02:32 AM
I've always wanted to hold one, but I live in the middle of no where. . .

The closest I came was sitting at one as a band fundraiser. It was bargains galore on 64 and in early August so hot as balls, so pretty miserable.

Yar
05-15-2009, 02:35 AM
I read the title as Garbage Sale. :D

Vermachtnis
05-15-2009, 03:19 AM
I love garage sales! Specifically I like hunting down old games for nice prices. I recently found Koudelka for twenty bucks.

Oh btw I'm trying to sell a lightly-used Gamecube, if anyone's interested. I could definitely use the money right now.

Ah'll give ya a quarter!

Peegee
05-15-2009, 03:40 AM
Remember to go to the bank tomorrow and change like 25-30 dollars in mixed change, just in case!

We loaned our house last summer to do a garage sale. I don't remember how successful it was, but we had a lot of fun. It rained though but I don't think it stopped people from showing up..but maybe it might.

Good luck and take pics!

Shlup
05-15-2009, 04:06 AM
I avoid them because I know I'll want to buy things. I see a lot driving home from work 'cause of all the poor people. Today there was a dresser I really wanted!

Momiji
05-15-2009, 04:43 AM

Ah'll give ya a quarter!

A generous offer. (ー。ー;)ノ

We'll start the bidding at a quarter! ヽ(゜ー゜)ー日<sub>*ノック*</sub>

o_O
05-15-2009, 05:51 AM
I went to a garage sale once, and the host sold me a Discworld game with a big gouge in the CD for five bucks. I think he felt guilty about ripping a kid off because he chucked in another game (Rama (which was crap by the way, don't spend money on this game)) for free.

scrumpleberry
05-15-2009, 08:43 PM
I don't really like car boot or jumble sales that much because it's like pressure to haggle prcies and when you go to a stall people watch you manically like BUY MY STUFF PLEASE FO THE LOVE OF GOD or you feel that you need to find SUPAR BARGINZ. I do like charity shops though, so I like finding cool stuff among other people's old things.

Rye
05-15-2009, 09:01 PM
I'm going to put a big pretty cute sign at my garage sale table about my "story" - basically, how I'm selling all of my stuff before I study abroad to England to help "support" my travels across England, Europe and the Emerald Island~ :cactuar:

Everyone will happy to help out the tiny sunny dispositioned raven haired expatriate, even by just buying one book that they don't want that much. It's genius. :bigsmile:

Caraliz
05-15-2009, 11:48 PM
Do it, Rye!