PDA

View Full Version : Kojima Productions' Next Game

Bolivar
05-14-2009, 03:20 AM
I'm not sure why this isn't on here yet, I'm sure alot of you have seen it, but:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/05/more_kojima_hype.jpg (http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/05/more_kojima_hype.jpg)

^ two page spread in Famitsu

We pretty much know a new Metal Gear is coming and he might even direct it, gathering from his keynote speech at GDC. But he also stated a while back he was doing two games, one with a western audience orientation (not sure how I feel about that).

Thoughts? Have we discussed whether or not there should be a next Metal Gear or not here?

sdm42393
05-14-2009, 03:30 AM
I haven't played the fourth game yet so I'm not sure how a sequel would be. Guessing from what I've heard about the ending, I'm guessing it'll be more of a spin-off title? Or a new entity altogether dropping 'Solid' from the title?

Fonzie
05-14-2009, 03:40 AM
Come on old Metal Gear remakes!

Dreddz
05-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Hope it isn't a new Metal Gear title to be honest. I liked MGS4 for a lot of things but this series is out of control in regards to its story. They kind of screwed up MGS4's story in my opinion and whatever way they would continue it would just make things worse. Leave it be, please.

Heres hoping its a new IP for the PS3/360 with some ridiculous budget which I know they will get.

Depression Moon
05-14-2009, 07:11 PM
I haven't played MGS4 yet, so i can't comment, but I know it was supposed to be the last entry of the series. Another game could be something similar to Metal Gear Touch, although I would like to see something new. I would like to see Kojima make some kind of game entirely opposite of Metal Gear with bright big-eyed anime characters.

Bolivar
05-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Hope it isn't a new Metal Gear title to be honest. I liked MGS4 for a lot of things but this series is out of control in regards to its story. They kind of screwed up MGS4's story in my opinion and whatever way they would continue it would just make things worse. Leave it be, please.

I think this can only be said to a marginally greater extent than what people were saying about Metal Gear Solid 2 after it was released. Alot of people said the exact same thing. Then Kojima turned around and gave us arguably the best game in the series.

The long cutscenes and convoluted plot was a tribute to his own style; it was almost a commentary on Metal Gear and Koji Pro itself. That being said, I don't think anything done in Metal Gear Solid 4 sabotages the likelihood of an effective sequel.

Come on old Metal Gear remakes!

He said himself in a Game Trailers interview that he's not the kind of developer who revisits his older titles, but he would be open to the idea of exporting it, similar to what Silicon Knights did with MGS1 on GC.

sdm42393
05-15-2009, 03:19 AM
...similar to what Silicon Knights did with MGS1 on GC.

Bad memories, bad memories, bad memories...

Wolf Kanno
05-16-2009, 11:57 PM
I hope to see more Non-Metal Gear stuff from Kojima. ZOE and Boktai are both really good series imo and I would love to finally play Snatcher some time.

I feel MGS is pretty good where it stands and I can't say I'd care for an MGS5. I could see them doing a few more prequels but overall, I'd rather not see MG get milked but rather see Kojima venture forth into new territory.

Old Manus
05-17-2009, 12:46 AM
Oh God please no more MGS. I don't want one of my favourite games ruined any more.

demondude
05-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Oh God please no more MGS. I don't want one of my favourite games ruined any more.

KentaRawr!
05-18-2009, 12:26 AM
What are you guys talking about? That could be great! This is exactly how it should begin:

Snake walks up to Otacon...

"How did you like the simulation, Snake?"

"You really overdid the nanomachines, Otacon."

"You know me!"

*Hearty laughter*

Breine
05-18-2009, 04:14 PM
I hope he goes into something new. I love MGS to death, but it would be nice to see him go on and do other and new projects.

Psychotic
05-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Kojima has the rights to Duke Nukem Forever.

Although... (http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/210286/mysterious-metal-gear-website-updated-with-countdown/)

Dreddz
05-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Well all hints are pointing towards a new MGS title featuring Raiden. The lighting storms and the 5 are so obvious. I hope Kojima realizes all this and pulls a full 360 at the last minute and just announces a Boktai game. That would be so Kojima.

Bolivar
05-20-2009, 08:31 PM
^ Well, he already said himself what approach he wants to take for the "Next Metal Gear" at GDC this year, with a picture of Raiden on the slide. Even if this game turns out to not be Metal Gear, he's probably still going to announce Metal Gear Solid 5 featuring Raiden.

More info:

Someone found a picture of the press kits that Konami/Kojima Pro issued for when they announced/formally showed Metal Gear Solid 2, 3, and 4 - ALL at E3. The font is strikingly the same:
More Evidence to Support Metal Gear Solid 5 Announcement for E3 | SCRAWL (http://scrawlfx.com/2009/05/more-evidence-to-support-metal-gear-solid-5-announcement-for-e3)

LunarWeaver
05-25-2009, 11:29 PM
I'd swallow down a 5 if he made it. But I wouldn't mind him taking a break to make something new. Plus, I... I sort of feel like 4 really wrapped it all up. Everything I wanted answered was answered. It's all resolved as far as I'm concerned. But whatever, I'd ultimately be happy with another one, not gonna even lie.

Old Manus
05-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Oh for the love of god no MGS5. Please, Hideo.

Captain Maxx Power
05-26-2009, 02:17 AM
I'm still waiting for him to bring out a product I don't hate.

KentaRawr!
05-26-2009, 03:24 AM
I'm still waiting for him to bring out a product I don't hate.

What do you hate about all the others he's directed?

theundeadhero
05-26-2009, 06:06 PM
I can see a Raiden prequal to MGS2.

Dreddz
05-26-2009, 08:07 PM
There is evidence (http://i44.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/nl7dow.png) that Kojima is now working on Lord of Shadows. That would also conflict with the hints that Kojima is working on another Metal Gear title. Very confusing. Whatever it is it will likely be a PS3 exclusive considering that it has already been shown to various Playstation magazines.

Whatever it is, its going to be announced next week. Just another reason why E3 is going to be sick.

Zerokku
05-27-2009, 02:17 AM
http://i41.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/1znwnz4.png

Big Boss :D

KentaRawr!
05-27-2009, 02:56 AM
Oh, well if it's Big Boss, no problem.

I feel sorry for Hideo Kojima, though. Surely he's tired of making those games by now.

Masamunemaster
05-27-2009, 03:17 AM

Heres hoping its a new IP for the PS3/360 with some ridiculous budget which I know they will get.

welcome to what I call the sonic disease...

KentaRawr!
05-27-2009, 03:52 AM
I wonder what he's so upset about.

demondude
05-27-2009, 09:46 AM

welcome to what I call the sonic disease...

Nah. Sonic got crap because the developers stopped caring and kept churning out awful games. I'm pretty sure MGS is getting consistently better.

Bolivar
05-27-2009, 02:08 PM
^ He's reinvented the gameplay with every entry in the series, even going back to Metal Gear 2. I personally want to see how far he can keep going.

Big Boss's emblem on his beret says "Militares sans Frontieres" - Militaries Without Borders(/Frontiers).

Zerokku
05-27-2009, 05:38 PM
^ He's reinvented the gameplay with every entry in the series, even going back to Metal Gear 2. I personally want to see how far he can keep going.

Big Boss's emblem on his beret says "Militares sans Frontieres" - Militaries Without Borders(/Frontiers).

Which is of course a huge reference to outer heaven.

Dreddz
05-27-2009, 06:40 PM
I've got very mixed feelings about all this. On one hand I would really like to see Kojima do something else, like a new Snatcher game. Then on the other hand I have enjoyed every MGS title and Kojima does a pretty good job making the series stay fresh and not repetetive.

If he is indeed making a new MGS title then I'm still pretty stoked. It is a new MGS title after all.

Wolf Kanno
05-27-2009, 07:11 PM
I kinda agree with Dreddz here, I'm not opposed to another title starring Big Boss if Kojima is helming the project. Honestly, I'd rather see Kojima work on more non-MGS projects cause I feel he's got an excellent mind for game design and Konami and MGS fans are turning him into a "one trick pony" by keeping him pinned down in the MGS universe.

Besides, I feel the announcement of a new MGS title has come too soon. MGS4 is barely a year old. There are still fans who haven't played it yet and now they have to look forward to a new title? MGS is starting to become like Final Fantasy...

Editga: ******************************************************************

The article detailing the Nomura interview with Famitsu also has news on the new MGS project and it appears to be in fact MGS5 starring Raiden sporting futuristic armor and wearing an eye patch...

I'm intrigued and annoyed at the same time here...

Bolivar
05-27-2009, 09:50 PM
I kinda agree with Dreddz here, I'm not opposed to another title starring Big Boss if Kojima is helming the project. Honestly, I'd rather see Kojima work on more non-MGS projects cause I feel he's got an excellent mind for game design and Konami and MGS fans are turning him into a "one trick pony" by keeping him pinned down in the MGS universe.

Besides, I feel the announcement of a new MGS title has come too soon. MGS4 is barely a year old. There are still fans who haven't played it yet and now they have to look forward to a new title? MGS is starting to become like Final Fantasy...

Editga: ******************************************************************

The article detailing the Nomura interview with Famitsu also has news on the new MGS project and it appears to be in fact MGS5 starring Raiden sporting futuristic armor and wearing an eye patch...

I'm intrigued and annoyed at the same time here...

MGS4 was confirmed before Snake Eater even came out, and it was formally announced with the concept "No Place to Hide" literally weeks after its release.

Also, that's not an eye patch, it's a bandana.

Wait, a bandana (http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Bandana)!?