PDA

View Full Version : Ack, I'm Sick!

Depression Moon
05-15-2009, 09:06 PM
FFXIII won't be here for another year :grumble:, but maybe we can just kill some time to discuss one of the features that's bound to be in the game. Status Ailments, those nasty defiled codes that hinders our character's stats and abilities. FF has had a lot over the years and which ones do you think will be in this one?
Also would they pick like some prior FFs that had status go away over time, or dissapear after a battle or would they be like XII where they lingered after a fight and some still existed after a character has been killed and brought back to life?

In addition to the usual canon (Blind,Silence, Poison,Sleep) I would like to see the irritating Stop to come back and maybe Heat from IX.

There's also a chance for a brand new status too.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-15-2009, 09:43 PM
If not Hot, Cold, and Virus from FFIX, I'd like to see some original ailments that are equally creative.

trancekuja
05-16-2009, 12:19 AM
It's the perfect time for Mini status to ressurect:cool:

Roogle
05-16-2009, 12:53 AM
There is a status effect in Ragnarok Online that masks the damage received by the player. This is an interesting status effect that I would like to see in more games.

Rantz
05-16-2009, 01:07 AM
I'd like to see a Swine Flu status effect.

FFIX Choco Boy
05-16-2009, 04:30 AM
Stone status may be in the game, I wonder if there's gonna be things like zombie or other things, too.

Depression Moon
05-16-2009, 07:09 PM
There is a status effect in Ragnarok Online that masks the damage received by the player. This is an interesting status effect that I would like to see in more games.

Could you elaborate on that? Do you mean that the inflicted party member's HP bar would dissappear so you wouldn't be able to know how much they have left?

If not Hot, Cold, and Virus from FFIX, I'd like to see some original ailments that are equally creative.

I hate status effects like virus. They infuriate me when I run out of the stuff in the middle of battle and that character's exp ges screwed up with the rest so in order to get him or her back up with the rest I would have to do some solo grinding. Transformations like Frog and Imp get me too.

Wolf Kanno
05-17-2009, 12:04 AM
Hot, Cold and especially Virus from IX cause I loved those status ailments.

I'd also love to see some transformation spells like Toad or Kappa(Imp). Old Age is another I would love to see from FFV cause that one was so interesting.

sir helix
05-17-2009, 03:59 AM
toad, pig, and maby a new annoying cute animal thats sux

Vermachtnis
05-17-2009, 04:11 AM
Toad, Pig, and Midget needs to return. As a dance team!

Depression Moon
05-19-2009, 09:06 PM
I'd like to see a Swine Flu status effect.
Swine Flu = Piggy + Silence +Doom

Another thing I'm wondering about are the Malboros. In XII they weren't that dangerous. I'm in two spots here for XIII I sort of want them to be difficult and not difficult at the same time. I like a challenge, but I don't want it to be like VIII where I get frustated because I'm sitting there watching my party kill each other.

Roogle
05-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Could you elaborate on that? Do you mean that the inflicted party member's HP bar would dissappear so you wouldn't be able to know how much they have left?

It distorts the amount of damage being dealt while keeping the current HP and maximum HP intact. In that game, you can get around it simply by keeping a close eye on your HP.

If that status effect was implemented in other games, I would like to see the current HP frozen upon being inflicted with the status or masked completely in order to force the player to calculate or estimate their current condition.

VeloZer0
05-23-2009, 03:29 AM
It would be nice if they through in some status effects that weren't so much overly damaging, but just changed the way you had to play.

Only one that comes to mind, and reason I thought of this, is the Reverse effect from FFIV. You can't cure it, you just have to adapt your strategy accordingly. Something in that vein could help liven up random encounters, moving away from the 'hit with status x, use item y next turn" concept.

Depression Moon
05-25-2009, 01:36 AM
Reverse was in XII not IV.

Dynast-Kid
05-25-2009, 02:06 AM
I want to see Confuse! Confusion has always been my favorite status ailment, and I want to see it made trickier and more challenging to heal! :radred:

Yar
05-25-2009, 02:35 AM
Reverse was in XII not IV.Lies! It's in the DS version though.

Depression Moon
08-02-2009, 01:45 AM
I just remembered disease in XII. That one was a bitch to heal especially if the inflicted party member died while he/she still had it. I'm not sure if I would want that to return in XIII. As much as I hate status ailments, I love them for providing me with a challenge.

Bloodshot Materia
08-02-2009, 02:10 AM
I think they'll keep the normal status ailments, like blind, silence, poison-ish ailments,undead/zombie and slow and stop but I'd like to see more status effects that alter certain status effects that may be used to benifit like blind for sight unseeing in ffxii and undead in ffvi. A status effect similiar to weakness you get from res in ffxi would be cool too, just an overall stat diminisher. Any ideas I fathom in the benificial status effects make me think it would be overdoing for square-enix...

VeloZer0
10-08-2009, 01:04 AM
I just had a great idea hit me at work today.

What if status effects had levels like magic spells do? Each level would keep the same theme of the effect, but get progresively worse. It also allows for a much greater variety of (useful) status protection gear. You could have items that block all Lv1 status effects, items that downgrade all status effects one level, ect...

Here are some examples I came up with off of the top of my head:

1 - Disease - Lowers effectiveness of healing items
2 - Poison - Drains current HP
3 - Venom - Drains max HP

1 - Darkness - Lowers Accuracy
2 - Blind - 100% Miss Rate on Attacks
3 - Blackout - 100% Miss Rate on all techniques/magic

1 - Fury - Increased Miss Rate / Increased rate of limit break charge
2 - Berserk - Auto Melee Attack / Increased Power
3 - Kamikaze - Stores energy for one turn then self destructs.

1 - Sediment - Damage taken reduced 50% / speed reduced 50%
2 - Break - Turned to stone
3 - Petrification - Turned to stone, will shatter for entire battle after taking 3 hits

1 - Bane - All attacks against you do 2x damage
2 - Doom - Countdown timer to instant death
3 - Death - Instant Death

1 - Mute - Spell effectiveness 50%
2 - Silence - Can't use spells
3 - Curse - Can't use spells, drains MP

Some of the names could use some work, but I think I've managed to include most of the FF mainstays.