PDA

View Full Version : What Type of Achiever Are You

Shiny
05-18-2009, 03:16 AM
I know this may sound like a topic to horrid Quizilla quiz. Bare with me. I was pursuing over a few of my achievements for Xbox 360 and realized that most of them I got mostly by accident. My question to you guys is do you spend countless hours a day attempting to achieve time consuming achievements that seem nearly impossible to do in one day, or are you the type of gamer that gets achievements without intention to do so?

Momiji
05-18-2009, 03:45 AM
No. Instead, I spend countless hours trying to achieve goals that have no reward other than my own satisfaction. This often involves high scores.

Leeza
05-18-2009, 03:47 AM
Some I get by accident, some I spend time on. But I won't spend countless hours on something that I know would be beyond my reach.

Madame Adequate
05-18-2009, 04:14 AM
I usually don't go for achievements unless I like the game a lot. I did set out to get lots of them in Halo 3, for instance. And I've sought out a few in Mirror's Edge. Usually I let them just come to me though. I sometimes set challenges up for myself, but often enough I'll just dick around and see how the game reacts.

ljkkjlcm9
05-18-2009, 06:32 AM
If I play a game, I typically like it, and therefore will get as many of the achievements as I can. Both my roommates have owned a 360 for multiple years, while I do not. I created a profile on theirs this past January. In the past 5 months I have surpassed both of them in Gamer Points and have played half as many games as they have. Another thing to note is that a lot of my gamer points are from RPG's, so they were quite time consuming to get. Lost Odyssey I have 980 and Call of Duty 4 I have 980, those are my two highest games.

THE JACKAL

theundeadhero
05-18-2009, 07:55 AM
I just happen to come across any I unlock.

Balzac
05-18-2009, 08:15 AM
Some I try to get, others I get as I go along by accident.

Iceglow
05-18-2009, 10:33 AM
My motives for most of the achievements on my profile are usually just "play the game through and see what happens" because most of the achievements for the games I have are things like rpg's and this means that in my usual RPG grind fest I'll unlock most of them anyway.

Jiro
05-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Some I try to get, others I get as I go along by accident.

Normally I'll keep my eye on the achievements page, just to know if there's anything upcoming that I can get. Otherwise I just let them go until I finish and then play specifically for them.

RPGs excluded, because I have no wish to replay all of the game just to get a couple of achievements.

But, I like having them all. It makes me feel warm inside. I think I have a problem (not as bad as Nommy though :p)

Loony BoB
05-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Mostly accidental, but if there is an achievement that I can get easily enough then I might just get it for the hell of it. I think I did that on a couple of the SEGA Mega Drive Ultimate Collection games. Might be wrong, though. I forget. I'm sure I did with a couple of Left4Dead achievements, anyway. So long as you have fun while doing them then it's all good.

Captain Maxx Power
05-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Achievements are an utter waste of time. I play games to enjoy them, not to grind out tedious tasks designed to artificially inflate the lifespan of a game. Achievements are probably the worst thing to happen to games since DRM.

Loony BoB
05-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Gaming is all about goals. Achievements are merely ideas for goals, as far as I'm concerned, and if you have fun in getting them then that can only be a good thing.

Fonzie
05-18-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm an achievement whore. :(

Meat Puppet
05-18-2009, 02:39 PM
I think they’re fun to go for. :) Well, for the most part. Some of them can be self-inflicted torture.

ljkkjlcm9
05-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Achievements are an utter waste of time. I play games to enjoy them, not to grind out tedious tasks designed to artificially inflate the lifespan of a game. Achievements are probably the worst thing to happen to games since DRM.

Depends how they are done. In Infinite Undiscovery, any of the achievements which you actually have to try hard to get, also have "Situation Bonus" in the game. These bonuses are anything from rare items which boost your stats permanently, rare synthesis items, or bonus exp/money. I think it's a good system!

THE JACKEL

Zeromus_X
05-18-2009, 03:53 PM
If I like the game, and the achievements aren't tedious, I generally enjoy trying to get them.

Nominus Experse
05-18-2009, 05:55 PM
[quote=Captain Mqgwe

Rase
05-18-2009, 06:21 PM
I just play through the game and take whatever it gives me. Only in rare cases where I really like a game (Bioshock) will I even bother to try and get some. I will however always look at what one means when I get it out of curiosity.

Madame Adequate
05-18-2009, 06:52 PM

This is one of the dumbest pieces of baseless hyperbole I have read in a long long time. Congratulation.

Psychotic
05-18-2009, 07:09 PM
I go for the ones that look fun or easy to get, and I try to get them as soon as possible 'cause I just love me them achievements. The really mega ridiculous ones usually get ignored though.

Madame Adequate
05-18-2009, 07:10 PM
I go for the ones that look fun or easy to get, and I try to get them as soon as possible 'cause I just love me them achievements. The really mega ridiculous ones usually get ignored though.

But Zombie Genocider is so wonderful precisely because it is really mega ridiculous!

Bunny
05-18-2009, 07:16 PM
Under.

Psychotic
05-18-2009, 07:19 PM

But Zombie Genocider is so wonderful precisely because it is really mega ridiculous!That's the exception that proves the rule. Achievement Unlocked. :aimsun:

NeoTifa
05-18-2009, 08:18 PM
L4D I do (on the computer) I have 13 left to go (now that they added survivor)

I need:
Gold metal
Beating every level in survival
Gold metal in every survival
Untouchables
Safety First
What Are You Trying To Prove
Zombie Genocidist (almost there)
Red Mist (almost there)
Puke on 4 survivors
Kill all 4 survivors as a tank
I can't remember the other ones. :\

Masamunemaster
05-19-2009, 12:07 AM
I usually play through a game once and get what comes to me then see what i missed...some acheivements reveal stuff in the game

Jowy
05-19-2009, 01:41 AM
4100 achievement points on WoW and I know I could get a fuckton more if I weren't so lazy.

Shiny
05-20-2009, 12:07 AM
Zombie Genocider is the only one I bothered trying to unlock and also one of the most tedious. I wanted to get it mostly for the Mega Blaster not the stupid Achievement points.

Markus. D
05-20-2009, 12:55 AM
For at least the first attempt, I won't purposely go out and pursue achievements.

In fact... probably post-that I won't.
ESPECIALLY if they involve horrid grinding for no benefit (ty GW -_-;)

kikimm
05-20-2009, 06:41 AM
When I first start playing a game, I try not to worry about them too much, and just let them happen. But if I start really getting into the game, then I'll try to go for most or all of them, even the ones that suck ass because they are so stupid and hard and sucky >=( What Are You Trying to Prove, for instance. harumph.

The only game I have every achievement for, though, is Dead Space. :heart:

Meat Puppet
05-20-2009, 03:48 PM
so stupid and hard and sucky >=( What Are You Trying to Prove, for instance. harumph.

More like Nothing Special :frust:

kikimm
05-20-2009, 06:27 PM
More like both you lamo >=(

NeoTifa
05-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Nothing special and Safety First are really hard. I was so close to untouchables a few times.

kikimm
05-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Haha yeah, untouchables is hard. I think I tried it like 20 times before I got it. Safety First wasn't too bad for me though, doing it on easy.

NeoTifa
05-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Did you play by yourself? Cuz when I try it on easy I always get stuck with bossy 10 year old n00bs who tk alot.

kikimm
05-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Haha, I did it with my boyfriend, and two computers. I think. I did it with someone and two computers, which is what matters. :P

Meat Puppet
05-21-2009, 12:30 AM
Nothing special and Safety First are really hard. I was so close to untouchables a few times.
I’ve been so close to getting Nothing Special that I actually should have got it, but didn’t out of technicality (using Restart Campaign rather than return to lobby)

Safety First is one of the times that you should just play with three AI and let them do all the work.

And btw kikimm got Safety First with her brother she has terrible memory