PDA

View Full Version : Weakest Final Fantasy Villain

the AJman
05-18-2009, 10:12 PM
I looked back about eight pages and I didn't see anything about this so I figured I was safe to create this..... I hope.

So who do you think is the weakest Final Fantasy villian and I don't mean in terms of power I mean in terms of impact on the story and the gamer. What villian was the absolute most unintimidating bad guy, or who did feel had almost no bearing on the story. Which villian failed to make you hate and fear them. Perhaps you like more a more humanized villian and theres a bad guy who just didn't make you sympathize with them. I know different people have different views on what makes a strong villian, but lets see who you think was the weakest villian in the series and this includes spin offs.

NeoTifa
05-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Ummm.... Sephiroth was pretty much not as kick ass as I thought he'd be. :\ Took 2 turns to kill him.

Rantz
05-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Yu-Yevon, lols.

RedPouch
05-19-2009, 01:08 AM
I had to change my entire answer because I didn't fully pay attention to the AJman's post. See my post below!

Wolf Kanno
05-19-2009, 01:50 AM
Lets see...

Zemus: Now don't get me wrong, I like Zemus and I enjoy his motive and reasoning but I do feel they waited far too long to reveal him. He's just outshined by Golbez.

Emperor Gestahl: generic, evil, world conquering, power hungry, emperor. The best part of VI is when he bows out at the end of ACT 1. ;)

Sephiroth: I'm so going to get nailed for this one, but honestly, I felt Sephiroth was basically a more involved version of Zemus. You're chasing him around, and while the game keeps trying to convince you he's the bigger threat, you have Shin-Ra doing outrageous atrocities in the world. I really feel that Sephiroth is just outshined by the heads of Shin-Ra and the game could never convince me otherwise.

Ultimecia: I really feel its her poorly given backstory that puts the nail in the coffin for her. She's a very calculating and intriguing villain but I feel she's more like an NES villain than a modern RPG villain.

Seymour: Chatty villain who is more of an annoyance than a threat. It gets downright laughable towards the end of the game. He could easily be written out of the plot and it wouldn't really affect the games plot too dramatically (hell make it 10 hours shorter which is a bonus for this game).

Yu-Yevon: they did a terrible job explaining anything about this guy and once again he feels like a throwback to villains like CoD, Zeromus, and Necron. Also Necron is honorably mentioned here as well.

Shuyin (FFX-2) and Genesis (FFVII: CC): When bad guys feel like people I went to high school with I feel we have a problem. Shuyin whines around about a lost love despite the fact its his own damn fault they got killed and still feels the world should pay? Whiny loser is more like it. Then you have Genesis who feels like a emo kid mixed with the more deranged VII fanboys who whines around about how he isn't as cool as Sephiroth and spout terrible poetry at the drop of a hat... Genesis makes Sephiroth down right respectable. I could easily nickname both of them after people I knew in high school and that just makes them outright laughable in my book.

Illuia(sp?) (FFTA2): Really poorly developed, when the game ends you keep asking yourself who she was and why it was important. Thats not a way to make a main villain... The Ivalice team should stick to morally ambiguous villains like Vayne and Sidney.

Those are the main ones that come to mind, I haven't finished XII:RW yet but I'm starting to think I may need to add the Judge of Wings since she feels like a rip-off of Shuyin so far.

RedPouch
05-19-2009, 02:25 AM
I just realized that I completely misread the first post, so now I have to write a new one since my first one has nothing to do with the question.

Zemus: Now don't get me wrong, I like Zemus and I enjoy his motive and reasoning but I do feel they waited far too long to reveal him. He's just outshined by Golbez.
I hate these last-minute throw-in villains. This was the same issue I had with Necron, though they were much worse with it when it came to Necron.

Seymour: Chatty villain who is more of an annoyance than a threat. It gets downright laughable towards the end of the game. He could easily be written out of the plot and it wouldn't really affect the games plot too dramatically (hell make it 10 hours shorter which is a bonus for this game).
I don't think I've spoken to anyone that actually likes Seymour.

Shuyin (FFX-2) and Genesis (FFVII: CC): When bad guys feel like people I went to high school with I feel we have a problem. Shuyin whines around about a lost love despite the fact its his own damn fault they got killed and still feels the world should pay? Whiny loser is more like it. Then you have Genesis who feels like a emo kid mixed with the more deranged VII fanboys who whines around about how he isn't as cool as Sephiroth and spout terrible poetry at the drop of a hat... Genesis makes Sephiroth down right respectable. I could easily nickname both of them after people I knew in high school and that just makes them outright laughable in my book.
Goodness. I never really had the motivation to play this game, but when you put it like that...

Alright so here goes my list:

Zeromus
Necron

And my list ends up being not very much different from my original one. Alright, so you can nit-pick and tear down every shoddy villain as Wolf Kanno has, but I think I'll just limit my selection down to the absolute worst-of-the-worst. Ultimecia and Sephiroth sorta tie for me in terms of being poor villains, but they still aren't nearly as bad as Necron and Zeromus are for obvious reasons.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-19-2009, 02:40 AM
Emperor Gestahl: generic, evil, world conquering, power hungry, emperor. The best part of VI is when he bows out at the end of ACT 1. ;)

The think the personal role he played in Tina's childhood makes him sufficiently despicable.

But Seymour, man. What a useless guy.

Wolf Kanno
05-19-2009, 10:31 AM
I agree with you that's he's a despicable villain but it doesn't really change the fact he's a pretty "by the book" cliche evil ruler.

Jessweeee♪
05-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Genesis. All he does is quote that poem thing and he looks like my aunt. It's weird.

FFIX Choco Boy
05-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Necron, 'nuff said.

NeoTifa
05-20-2009, 01:21 AM
Lol. Seymour looks like my grandma with long blue hair.

05-20-2009, 06:50 AM
I'm gonna be honest, I don't think Zeromus is as tacked-on as people make him out to be, and I don't really see what the problem is with him. Plus his purpose fits the theme of the story perfectly.

Necron, though. Now there's a tacked-on villain that just falls out of the sky at the last minute. As much as I love IX, I can't really defend Necron except by shrugging him off and counting him as some kind of bonus final battle. That plus the fact that every character in my party were basically gods by the end, and I think Necron is a safe call for weakest in every sense of the word.

captkrill
05-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Ozmo

crazybayman
05-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Garland, FF1.

I GARLAND SHALL KNOCK YOU ALL DOWN!

What a joke.

Great game, though.

Rebellious Eagle
05-20-2009, 09:06 PM
I'd say either Garland or Yu-Yevon.
I mean, seriously. One kidnapped a princess or whatever and the other is just...the same thing as a flea. Honestly.

Elpizo
05-20-2009, 09:21 PM
Illuia(sp?) (FFTA2): Really poorly developed, when the game ends you keep asking yourself who she was and why it was important. Thats not a way to make a main villain... The Ivalice team should stick to morally ambiguous villains like Vayne and Sidney.

This. She was never explained, never given a motive, never developed... She was just there, like so much of FFTA2's "story" was. Really, people blame FFTA for being bad, but at least it had a followable plot and a 'villain' (though the nice thing about FFTA is that it's really difficult to say who the villain was. Even Remedi isn't really one). FFTA2's story was just laughably bad and random. I mean, WTH? I finished the game and still can't remember for the life of me what it was about. Ilua was just the final drip that killed the game for me.

Or no, scratch that and make FFTA2's final boss the final drip. Pure tacked-on-ness. People complain about Necron? Meet the Final Boss who has no name of FFTA2 who is even less explained than Necron and has no lines or background at all. At least Necron has the theory of being the Iifa Tree's Soul Core going for him. But TA2's final boss? Niks, nihil, nada. He truly was a random monster that just showed up. Compared to him (?), Necron is a deep and developed character and villain.

DarkLadyNyara
05-21-2009, 12:58 AM
I'd have to say Zemus. They waited too long or the reveal. You never get a chance to really hate him, the way you do with most other villains.

...Necron, I refuse to even acknowledge.

Heath
05-24-2009, 05:44 PM
I'd probably say Seymour. I recently replayed FFX and enjoyed the game more than ever before, yet Seymour was one of the aspects of the game that really didn't go up in my estimation. There's little to no surprise from the player when he's revealed to be villainous, he's not particularly interesting and about the only enjoyable thing about him is the boss fights against him and that lovely battle theme of his for the fourth battle.

Sephiroth isn't terribly amazing either, though Jenova itself is pretty freaky. Ultimecia is really quite weak and always, in my view, seemed to have just been tacked on at the end. A lot of the criticisms of Seymour probably just as equally apply to her, but at least she doesn't have as much screentime as Seymour. Toss up between the two of them, but I must say Ultimecia.

sir helix
05-24-2009, 05:50 PM
cloud of death, was pathetic

Sephiroth
05-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Sephiroth isn't terribly amazing either, though Jenova itself is pretty freaky.

Sephiroth can use all of JENOVA's abilities. So I'd say he is pretty "freaky" as well.

I choose Seymour and X-Death.

After all, X-Death became very powerful because of Void, but it's useless to have power you cannot control. And Seymour, well...poor Seymour. Just an extra villain. He should have more story and more power. She should have been fused with Yu-Yevon and finally control Yu-Yevon himself after you release Jecht. Then he would have been a great villain.

Zemus and Cloud of Darkness are very powerful villains. The embodiement of darkness. Actually Zande is the villain of Final Fantasy III, but there was not very much Zande. And Darkness alone...hmph...Dark Cloud is more like Necron. They are both no villains.

Forsaken Lover
05-28-2009, 01:33 AM
Shuyin (FFX-2) and Genesis (FFVII: CC): When bad guys feel like people I went to high school with I feel we have a problem. Shuyin whines around about a lost love despite the fact its his own damn fault they got killed and still feels the world should pay? Whiny loser is more like it.

It's stated by Maechen, the best source we really have on Spira, that she would have died anyway thanks to Bevelle. Either that or she would have been sacrificed as a Fayth like the other summoners.

Besides it's not like Shuyin told her to come there. She came of her own free will. If she hadn't, he could have started up Vegnagun and killed everybody and she be fine.

Also he's quite right in his assessment.
"...Spira hasn't really changed at all. Everyone's still fighting over nothing; still dying like they used to. A thousand years have passed and they can't leave the hatred behind."

So his reason for destroying everything is also reasonable.

Wolf Kanno
05-28-2009, 05:36 AM
Shuyin (FFX-2) and Genesis (FFVII: CC): When bad guys feel like people I went to high school with I feel we have a problem. Shuyin whines around about a lost love despite the fact its his own damn fault they got killed and still feels the world should pay? Whiny loser is more like it.It's stated by Maechen, the best source we really have on Spira, that she would have died anyway thanks to Bevelle. Either that or she would have been sacrificed as a Fayth like the other summoners.

Besides it's not like Shuyin told her to come there. She came of her own free will. If she hadn't, he could have started up Vegnagun and killed everybody and she be fine.

Also he's quite right in his assessment.
"...Spira hasn't really changed at all. Everyone's still fighting over nothing; still dying like they used to. A thousand years have passed and they can't leave the hatred behind."

So his reason for destroying everything is also reasonable.

Yet he's finally defeated when his true love shows up and tells him to come home with her? He lacks conviction in my book.

Yes, she would have died if she fought and then he would be killed by Sin so obviously they were both screwed to begin with but he turned the situation into the worst case scenario for himself so its difficult for me to garner sympathy. Especially when he turns it around and cites it as his justification cause he's a screw up. Just like my acquaintance in high school...

He's similar to Seymour in that regard, that I feel his back story doesn't really justify his action in the game and how he as a character turned out. I'm still waiting to see the five other incidents that turned Seymour into a calculating power hungry megalomaniac and the three scenes that turned Shuyin into a justifiable misanthropic nihilist. :rolleyes2

Heath
05-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Sephiroth isn't terribly amazing either, though Jenova itself is pretty freaky.

Sephiroth can use all of JENOVA's abilities. So I'd say he is pretty "freaky" as well.

I was evaluating the characters in terms of impact on the story and the strength of their character rather than on raw, physical power. I suppose using the latter you're correct, but I stand by what I said.

Forsaken Lover
06-03-2009, 12:28 AM
Yet he's finally defeated when his true love shows up and tells him to come home with her? He lacks conviction in my book.

There's a difference between conviction and stupidity.
He was prepared to destroy the world. Why? For Lenne. She then shows up and tells him to stop. So...what is his motivation to continue? He wants to be with her and now he is.

He's similar to Seymour in that regard, that I feel his back story doesn't really justify his action in the game and how he as a character turned out. I'm still waiting to see the five other incidents that turned Seymour into a calculating power hungry megalomaniac and the three scenes that turned Shuyin into a justifiable misanthropic nihilist

A millennium of pain and suffering seems like decetn enough justification for not wanting to exist any more.

Wolf Kanno
06-03-2009, 06:25 PM
I don't know, take an antagonist with a similar back story, like Krelian from Xenogears. Loses the love of his life in a senseless war, she practically sacrifices herself to save him and the other troops. He not only loses faith in the god she preached of ("If there is no god then I will make one...") but eventually joins the enemy he was fighting at the time to find new meaning for his life. He proceeds to make himself indispensable to Solaris and ultimately comes to control it.

Restarts a plan to wipe out humanity and 500 years of pain and wrenching his soul and what happens when he meets his love again in her reincarnated form? Saids he's gone too far and has to complete what he started. He had delved so heavily in his new philosophy that even the cries of the one he cared for and took this course of action for, could not change him. As he said, "I have done so many horrible crimes in my lifetime that I could never go back. The only one who could forgive me now is god..."

He had conviction, Shuyin's suffering wasn't enough apparently to make him stick to his guns. Even if she did reappear, I feel he should have held onto his animosity since he's been supposedly dealing with it for 1000 years. Her appearing should have made him happy but not change his mind about punishing Spira. Instead he's like "Ok sweety pie! Let's go home!" and proceeds to leave like he hasn't been a whiny asshole for the last few cutscenes. To me, that's oversimplifying things to reach a happy conclusion and it shows how lousy the writing is. He has a child's mentality and attention span. :rolleyes2

sir helix
06-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Garland..................

~ Kain ~
06-03-2009, 09:58 PM
For those who are saying Garland is the worse.... Your right. But come on... FF1 is in the top tier for generic rpgs, but for an NES game even Garland had some personality.

Zemus is tougher. His EXTREMELY late arrival doesn't help his case but he at least seems like he belongs in the game. Anyways their has to be a scapegoat for Golbez once you find out he's Cecil's brother... and they didnt want you to know that until very late anyway.

Ex-Death.... haha now that is a crappy boss. Gilgamesh is the man though so he helps.

Kefka I always thought seemed to weak by apperance. He reminds me of a court jester or something along those lines. However he kills General Leo so... i guess he's tougher then he looks. His saving grace is his fantastic lines.

Sephiroth I like... and I'll say no more.

Necron really is terrible isn't he? Kuja was kinda like Kefka for me. Seemed weak....wasn't weak(Eidolons) and had fantastic lines. In fact Kuja is one of my favorite villians. It's to bad he wasn't just the final boss.

So yeah Ex-Death or Necron must be the worst.

Forsaken Lover
06-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Well there are a couple differences between Krelian/Sophia and Shuyin/Lenne....

1. Not a big difference but the former is unrequited; Sophia only ever loved Lacan.
2. Krelian's plan kinda worked. He ascended to the the higher dimension with the Existence. Shuyin had his doomsday weapon destroyed. He had no real chance of destroying the world after that.

So yeah Shuyin lacked conviction when his conviction manifested in front of him and told him to knock it off.

But this all seems like we just have different conclusions of the same events and you can't really convince other people of your perspective..why it's your perspective ya know?

NeoCracker
06-06-2009, 02:56 AM
In Necrons defense, he was the final boss, but he wasn't really a Villain. He didn't have anything to do with the events of FF IX, and was summoned only when Kuja destroyed the Crystal, his last ditch effort to satisfy his own desires. That last fight was, for all intensive purposes, a way to demonstrate the Will of Zidane and Company, not some twist plot point at the end.

He was summoned by Kuja's strong desire for an end, yet repelled by the others desire to move forward.

That being said, I would say Ultimecia, but you do get to at least see some of her personality through her controlling Edea, so while I hate her and that game, I'm going to give my vote to Sephiroth.

First off, his back story is a stretch. "I was created to be a super soldier? Imma find mommy and destroy the world!" I can fully understand wanting revenge on those who did it to you, but to desire devouring the planet, becoming a god, and devouring other planets? No thanks.

And all of his villianry was kind of lame. Except the destruction of Neifleheim, or however it was spelled.

I'd say Aerith dying, but the impact was probably lessed for Aerith being a rather unlikeable character to me. And he didn't really do it to be evil, he did it because if he didn't his plan would fail.

Compare that to the other villians. Kefka poisened an entire kingdom killing innocents and even his own men for convenience. Kuja destroyed the face of Terra and turned an entire continent against eachother, killing countless people and corrupting hearts.

Hell, even Yu-Yevon creating Sin to reek a never-ending destruction upon Spira.

Even amongst the lamest of the FF Villians Sephiroth really hasn't done anything that makes him stand out.

The Crystal
06-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Zeromus - Completelly random. Even more than Zemus.

Kefka - A coward following orders. Became a god trough sircumstance and luck.

Even amongst the lamest of the FF Villians Sephiroth really hasn't done anything that makes him stand out.

Only if you conveniently ignore all the chaos he caused, by using Jenova's body, the Weapons, and Meteor.

But I agree with whoever said that Shinra had more presence then him.

NeoCracker
06-07-2009, 05:15 AM
Zeromus - Completelly random. Even more than Zemus.

Only if you conveniently ignore all the chaos he caused, by using Jenova's body, the Weapons, and Meteor.

But I agree with whoever said that Shinra had more presence then him.

The only things that caused Chaos were Weapon and Meteor. And Weapons weren't really part of the plan, more of a side effect. Summoning them to Cause Chaos wasn't really importatn, Meteor was what was important.

Now true, Meteor did cause Chaos, and the summoning of meteor was the definitive Goal. However, even the Chaos caused by Meteor was used by Shinra to further gain control of the populace.

I mean anything Sephiroth did that caused Chaos was outclassed by the damned side villains. It makes it hard to really give much credit at all to the guy when he fails at being a villain by comparison to the games other villains.

Anything he did in that game just seems so bland as a result.

Edit: In short, if the main villain of a game doesn't even stand out after doing something, he hardly seems like a good villain. :p

black orb
06-11-2009, 11:44 PM
>>> Genesis i guess, he doesnt even fit in the "villain" category..
The only cool thing about Genesis was that apple he was carrying everywhere..

blackmage_nuke
06-12-2009, 02:08 AM

I disagree, I believe he planned to betray Gestahl from the very begining as well as planning to steal the statues magic. Circumstance had little to do with it.

Wolf Kanno
06-12-2009, 04:24 AM

I disagree, I believe he planned to betray Gestahl from the very begining as well as planning to steal the statues magic. Circumstance had little to do with it.

He does mention his goal of attaining the Warring Triad in the Magitech factory. ;)

musashius
06-12-2009, 04:42 AM
FF7 - Palmer.

http://ffvii.squareunion.com/characters/img/palmer2.jpg

Wolf Kanno
06-12-2009, 06:32 AM
FF7 - Palmer.

http://ffvii.squareunion.com/characters/img/palmer2.jpg

But he gets hit by a truck! That makes him awesome in my book! :cool:

The Crystal
06-12-2009, 06:54 AM

True. But the problem is not what he wanted to do or what he did, but how he did it.
From what I remember, Kefka didn't have idea how to find the statues. He just waited for Ghestal to lead him to it, while following his orders and acting like a coward.
The reason why I think it's hard to take Kefka seriously, is that he was too dependant on the Empire and Ghestal.

NeoCracker, Sephiroth killed a lot of people on his way to the Crater, including the president of the most powerful company/government on the planet. I think this can be considered as causing chaos.
Not to mention that even the planet wasn't able to stop him(Holy was useless while he was alive).
And yes, the Weapons were a side-effect. But a side-effect caused by him, and that helped him.

Every main-villain caused a lot of chaos on their respective worlds, directly or indirectly. I don't believe there is a single main-villain who "hasn't done anything that makes him stand out" like you said.

And normally, the side-villains have a bigger presence in the story than the main villains. The Empire was more present in the story than Kefka. The Alexandria Kingdom was more present than Kuja too. The same for the Galbadia army in relation to Ultimecia/Edea.
That's something normal.

NeoCracker
06-15-2009, 03:08 AM

True. But the problem is not what he wanted to do or what he did, but how he did it.
From what I remember, Kefka didn't have idea how to find the statues. He just waited for Ghestal to lead him to it, while following his orders and acting like a coward.
The reason why I think it's hard to take Kefka seriously, is that he was too dependant on the Empire and Ghestal.

NeoCracker, Sephiroth killed a lot of people on his way to the Crater, including the president of the most powerful company/government on the planet. I think this can be considered as causing chaos.
Not to mention that even the planet wasn't able to stop him(Holy was useless while he was alive).
And yes, the Weapons were a side-effect. But a side-effect caused by him, and that helped him.

Every main-villain caused a lot of chaos on their respective worlds, directly or indirectly. I don't believe there is a single main-villain who "hasn't done anything that makes him stand out" like you said.

And normally, the side-villains have a bigger presence in the story than the main villains. The Empire was more present in the story than Kefka. The Alexandria Kingdom was more present than Kuja too. The same for the Galbadia army in relation to Ultimecia/Edea.
That's something normal.

I can 't vouce for I - III, but most FF's the main Villain gets the spotlight. IV it admitingly goes to Golbez, 5 definately went to Ex-death. Mostly because he really was the only Villian I can think of.

And the empire had a lot of spotlight in VI yes, but Kefka is the one doing a lot of the deeds. He's the one that poisened Doma, destroyed Thamasa, and many other things before WoR. Then he betrays Ghestal, and the world undergoes a little 'boom' and he proceeds to rule over it. I'd say Kefka stood out most there.

VIII, I won't comment on.

IX, I don't see how anyone stands out over Kefka.

X I'll give to seymore as standing out more then Sin, though this could depend on how one looks at it, so its a toss up.

And I didn't play far enough into XII to comment.

Sephiroth just doesn't stand out in his own game, which makes him seem weak. If Shinra had not been there, however, he likely would have had more of a pressance for me.

Finally, how did the Weapons help Sephiroth? Its not like anything would have changed for him had they been their or not, as the Junon Cannon is basically the only thing that could break the Barrier. All weapon did was make a delay in how long until the cannon shot the barrier down.

musashius
06-15-2009, 03:38 AM
But he gets hit by a truck! That makes him awesome in my book! :cool:

Yeah... but he's still pretty weak. I bet even Heidegger would've just laughed it off.

Zora
06-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Eh, I wouldn't regard Necron as the villain of FFIX. As someone said, Necron was like a last ditch effort of Kuja. Necron would be the last minute villain if he was like responsible for everything or if Kuja was Necron's subordinate or something like that, which isn't the case. Kuja's still the villain, Necron's simply the final boss.

Anyways, I was about to make a list and I realize the only villains I actually liked were Kefka and Kuja. Others were either underdeveloped or underwhelming or just plain out stupid (*coughgenesiscough*), and Kefka and Kuja seemed like the two exceptions. So, I'm just going to leave it at that.

Rantz
06-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Yeah, no, I wouldn't even consider Necron a villain, much less the villain of IX. To me, Necron was an entity, just a representation of what Zidane and the gang was up against. Necron as an entity was introduced at the very end, but the concept he objectifies was present throughout the game. People are just so rooted in the idea of the last boss equalling the main villain. Kuja was always the main villain of Final Fantasy IX.

The Crystal
06-16-2009, 06:18 PM
I can 't vouce for I - III, but most FF's the main Villain gets the spotlight. IV it admitingly goes to Golbez, 5 definately went to Ex-death. Mostly because he really was the only Villian I can think of.

And the empire had a lot of spotlight in VI yes, but Kefka is the one doing a lot of the deeds. He's the one that poisened Doma, destroyed Thamasa, and many other things before WoR. Then he betrays Ghestal, and the world undergoes a little 'boom' and he proceeds to rule over it. I'd say Kefka stood out most there.

X I'll give to seymore as standing out more then Sin, though this could depend on how one looks at it, so its a toss up.

Sephiroth just doesn't stand out in his own game, which makes him seem weak. If Shinra had not been there, however, he likely would have had more of a pressance for me.

I was talking about physical presence(on-screen). But if we are talking about spotlight, then it's obvious Sephiroth have more than Shinra.
During the first half of FFVII, the party was following him across the planet(hell, that's the main reason why they left Midgar and started traveling the world), and during the second half, the party and Shinra were trying to stop him(by destroying his Meteor, or his Barrier).
Not to mention his connection and rivalry with the main character of the story.

The spotlight was Sephiroth. Shinra was just a side-villain appearing in the way.
Actually, we can compare it with FFX. Sephiroth = Sin. Shinra = the Maesters.

Finally, how did the Weapons help Sephiroth? Its not like anything would have changed for him had they been their or not, as the Junon Cannon is basically the only thing that could break the Barrier. All weapon did was make a delay in how long until the cannon shot the barrier down.

Exactly, the Weapons delayed his enemies. That's the point.
Sephiroth was waiting for Meteor, and he needed something to delay his enemies until that point. This is why he created the Barrier around the Crater in the first place. And the Weapons helped too.
Let's not forget they were attacking cities with Mako Reactors on them(ex: Junon and Midgar) too. By destroying the Reactors, the Weapons would stop them from sucking Lifestream, giving more of it to Sephiroth absorb, when Meteor hit the planet.
Not to mention that they mortally injured the president of Shinra, and fought against the party many times.
The Weapons helped alot dude.

Zora
06-17-2009, 06:49 AM
@The Crystal Seriously, when mortally injuring someone is considered a highlight of an antagonist's malice, it should give away that the villain poorly executes malice. Sephiroth didn't do a whole lot to the world in the end. He killed a few people, injured a few more, destroyed Midgar, but that is about it and phails in comparision to what other villains have done. Nearly everything Sephiroth attempted was foiled eventually, while that isn't the case with other villains.

NeoCracker
06-19-2009, 10:13 AM

I was talking about physical presence(on-screen). But if we are talking about spotlight, then it's obvious Sephiroth have more than Shinra.
During the first half of FFVII, the party was following him across the planet(hell, that's the main reason why they left Midgar and started traveling the world), and during the second half, the party and Shinra were trying to stop him(by destroying his Meteor, or his Barrier).
Not to mention his connection and rivalry with the main character of the story.

The spotlight was Sephiroth. Shinra was just a side-villain appearing in the way.
Actually, we can compare it with FFX. Sephiroth = Sin. Shinra = the Maesters.

Exactly, the Weapons delayed his enemies. That's the point.
Sephiroth was waiting for Meteor, and he needed something to delay his enemies until that point. This is why he created the Barrier around the Crater in the first place. And the Weapons helped too.
Let's not forget they were attacking cities with Mako Reactors on them(ex: Junon and Midgar) too. By destroying the Reactors, the Weapons would stop them from sucking Lifestream, giving more of it to Sephiroth absorb, when Meteor hit the planet.
Not to mention that they mortally injured the president of Shinra, and fought against the party many times.
The Weapons helped alot dude.

On screeen Shinra always had the spotlight non Sephiroth. Even after he summoned meteor, Shinra turning you into a scapegoat, their scrambling for the Huge Materia, and blowing the hell out of the Weapon attacking Junon.

And really, Weapon barely slowed Shinra Down. They were focused on gathering Huge Materia for the Rocket to stop Meteor. It wasn't until later they funally fired the Junon Cannon, and all Weapon did was make them have to fire it a second time...

Sephiroth successfully bought himself like, 2 hours our so with Weapon is my guess.

The Crystal
06-19-2009, 06:45 PM
@The Crystal Seriously, when mortally injuring someone is considered a highlight of an antagonist's malice, it should give away that the villain poorly executes malice. Sephiroth didn't do a whole lot to the world in the end. He killed a few people, injured a few more, destroyed Midgar, but that is about it and phails in comparision to what other villains have done. Nearly everything Sephiroth attempted was foiled eventually, while that isn't the case with other villains.

Why do you ignore his malice of breaking Cloud's mind? Why do you ignore his holding back of Holy, proving that his will was even stronger than the Planet's? Why do you ignore the chaos caused by the Weapons and Meteor? Why do you ignore the fact that, from the beggining of the story, he already wanted to: break Cloud's mind, summon Meteor, regenerate his body, and merge with Jenova, and that in the end, he succeeded in doing all that? Why do you ignore that he is the FF villain with the biggest number of oposition(The main party, the whole world's government(Shinra), and even the living planet!)?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he is the best FF villain ever, or the most successful, or the strongest, or blah blah blah, etc, etc.
I just think that we shouldn't forget or ignore his accomplishments.

Depression Moon
06-19-2009, 09:00 PM
How is Necron a villain guys?

Out of the ones I've played I would go with Shuyin,
Vayne, and Ultimecia.

If I had to pick one it would tie between vayne and Shuyin. These two I cared for the least I spent the most time with XII, but if you ask me anything specific about Vayne other than he has a little brother and is a leader of an empire I couldn't answer you. To have been exposed to that game the most I should have the most knowledge on him, but the game failed on making him interesting and impactful.

Ultimecia's own appearance left a more impactful memory in my head than Vayne. She was also the cause to nearly everything that bad happened in the story starting from the Sorceress assassination attempt. Out of these three I say that she's the best storywise and is probably the most powerful out of the entire series.

Lets see...
Shuyin (FFX-2) When bad guys feel like people I went to high school with I feel we have a problem. Shuyin whines around about a lost love despite the fact its his own damn fault they got killed and still feels the world should pay? Whiny loser is more like it.

That's similar to what I felt with Shuyin.

NeoCracker
06-20-2009, 09:05 AM

Why do you ignore his malice of breaking Cloud's mind? Why do you ignore his holding back of Holy, proving that his will was even stronger than the Planet's? Why do you ignore the chaos caused by the Weapons and Meteor? Why do you ignore the fact that, from the beggining of the story, he already wanted to: break Cloud's mind, summon Meteor, regenerate his body, and merge with Jenova, and that in the end, he succeeded in doing all that? Why do you ignore that he is the FF villain with the biggest number of oposition(The main party, the whole world's government(Shinra), and even the living planet!)?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he is the best FF villain ever, or the most successful, or the strongest, or blah blah blah, etc, etc.
I just think that we shouldn't forget or ignore his accomplishments.

I was under the impression Sephiroth was able to hold back holy because of his power, not because of his will.

Quite frankly, he seems to have a very weak will to me, given how he went loco and everything after the whole 'I was breeded to be a super soldier' thing, which while Bad, doesn't seem like near enough of a catalyst to drive most people to do what he did.

ReloadPsi
06-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Yu-Yevon, with his patented "Do nothing but heal and cast spells that only take of percentages of HP" technique.

Emperor Palamecia in close second with his Blood Sword weakness.

Chaos in third place with his meager 2000 HP and attacks that are ineffective by that point in the game because everyone's packing Ribbons or better.