PDA

View Full Version : Chainfire (spoilers)

Carl the Llama
05-23-2009, 02:10 AM
Ok so I confess, im a little confused, they say that the pristenely ungifted are born without a single spark of magic and so are immune to it, immune to all magic then how is it that Jennsen doesnt have any memory of Kahlan and how can The Slide (Naked Emprie) use his magic on them? and I know how they explain it in terms that subtractive magic is linked with death and so it effects them but if thats true how is it that in Pillars of Creation Oba and Jennsen are supposedly invincible against Richards magic?

Winter Nights
05-23-2009, 04:57 AM
Terry Goodkind wrote himself into a corner with Jennsen's creation. You're just noticing the glaring flaws. Hell, the the explanation for the fact that subtractive magic affects them is a contradiction, as additive magic is linked to life. If one would affect them, so should the other. Not to mention the fact that early on in the series it is noted that life itself is based in magic, thus they shouldn't even exist.

I overall liked the series, even the "Chainfire" trilogy ending, but "Pillars Of Creation" and "Naked Empire" caused too many continuity issues and should have been omitted from the mythos.

Raistlin
05-23-2009, 08:21 PM
One simple explanation: Goodkind contradicts himself a bunch of times in the series. Part of the reason is that he really is not that concerned with so-called "world creation" (or however he terms it) and moreso in developing Richard to present his philosophy. The other part of the reason is that he's simply not the strongest writer.

To really enjoy the series, I'd advise you to just look past some of the messy writing, and try to enjoy the books for what they are: the story of Richard (and his interactions with others, such as Kahlan and Zedd and Nicci). You'll definitely need to focus on that if you want to make it through the writing mess that is Naked Empire and the Chainfire trilogy.