PDA

View Full Version : E3 2009: New Super Mario Bros Wii Announced

Crossblades
06-02-2009, 05:56 PM
IGN: E3 2009: New Super Mario Bros Wii Announced (http://wii.ign.com/articles/989/989314p1.html)

Despite Nintendo's best efforts to keep the game under wrap, rumors of a new Mario game on the Wii have quickly spread across the internet.

At Nintendo's E3 press conference today, the company confirmed that New Super Mario Bros is indeed coming to Wii.

According to Nintendo, New Super Mario Wii offers a "new way to play Mario Bros that's never been done before."

The all new Super Mario Bros for Wii include four player multiplayer. It's a competitive multiplayer Mario game, where players run through the classic style levels, fighting each other for coins and powerups.

Nintendo demoed the four player mode, with Cammie Dunaway and three other Nintendo employees.

Players can jump on each other, shoot each other with fireballs and other attacks. Item boxes generally produce one item per character. Killed players reappear in bubbles and players can free them, or leave them stuck for a while. One of the new powerups is the Propeller Suit, a jump suit that has a helmet with a propeller. Shaking the Wii-remote will let players fly in the air.

When a player goes into a warp pipe the game forces the other players to follow in, where they fight over the coins in the secret room.

At the end of the level, as soon as one player grabs the flag pole, the other players have about three seconds to grab it for bonus points. The points are tallied up and the players are ranked.

New Super Mario Bros Wii is scheduled for a Holiday 2009 release. The game is on the show floor, so look for our hands-on later today.

Bolivar
06-02-2009, 06:05 PM
I loved New Super Mario Bros. on the DS and it looks like this one will have the same art design/gameplay. Although with 4 people this could be chaos! Like a sidescrolling smash bros., or maybe more Little Big Planet-esque, fighting to get the most coins.

In any case, well played by Nintendo, I'm looking forward to playing this on other people's Wii's.

Rase
06-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Looks like a fantastic game to get since I'll never be short of players in my dorm. Hopefully it's not too chaotic and crazy as to ruin the platforming fun though.

~*~Celes~*~
06-02-2009, 08:11 PM
:D I LOVE New Super Mario Bros. for the DS so we'll see if this has just as much win.

Evastio
06-03-2009, 03:00 AM
About time. :D

I found it really weird how the only game that allowed Mario and Luigi to be playing co-operatively simultaneously (up until now) was Brawl in Adventure Mode. I'm really going to be looking forward to four player Mario side-scrolling action.

I'm kind of curious about the Blue and Yellow Toad though. I know they probably chose those colours since red and green were already taken (by Mario and Luigi), though I'm wondering how they'll be introduced to the story.

Levian
06-04-2009, 04:05 AM
I've been looking for a good reason to buy two more wii remotes, and I think I just got one.

Depression Moon
06-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Hey crossblades where can I watch the Nintendo conference? I missed it because I was in class. New game looks cool though, glad to see more 2-d platformers.

though I'm wondering how they'll be introduced to the story. It's Mario so you might not even get an explanation at all.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-05-2009, 03:37 PM
It would be nice if they tweaked the physics from the DS game, which were a bit off, but what I'm really looking forward to are the level designs. The game is supposed to have about eighty stages!

I'm also holding out hope for playable Peach.

qwertysaur
06-05-2009, 05:39 PM
This game is going to be so much fun :D

Crossblades
06-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Hey crossblades where can I watch the Nintendo conference? I missed it because I was in class. New game looks cool though, glad to see more 2-d platformers.

I personally dont know where you can find that conference but you could always check places like IGN or Gamespot.com

MrNash
06-07-2009, 03:31 AM
Between this, and a new Galaxies, it looks like I'm going to be getting plenty of Mario to keep me busy in the coming months. I gotta say, this was the best E3 to come a long in quite a while (for all platforms), imho.

Breine
06-07-2009, 04:42 PM
It looks good. It'll be interesting to learn more about the game as things progress.