PDA

View Full Version : Jobs

Crossblades
06-03-2009, 02:21 PM
So what jobs do you want to see in FF XIV? I think it's pretty much a given that all jobs that were in XI are gonna be in XIV(unless SE proves me wrong)so I don't doubt that Dragoon will be in it. However, I do wish to see Mime added along with Mystic Knight(similar to FF V's job).

Masamunemaster
06-03-2009, 09:13 PM
cause people stealing your kills i XI isnt enough eh....now they can do it by copying your skills haha

Jessweeee♪
06-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Something like FFX-2's Mascot dressphere, only I want to dress up as a Cactuar and hold a Tonberry doll.

Lionx
06-04-2009, 02:27 AM
So long as they have a White Mage i am happy :)

Ultimage
06-04-2009, 03:46 AM
Just one that I can think of: Viking! Dual wield shields ftw.

ThePheonix
06-04-2009, 04:02 AM
So long as they have a White Mage i am happy :)
Same here:). Some 2-handed hammers/clubs to go with them would be nice too!

Del Murder
06-04-2009, 04:12 AM
Blue Mage is all I care about.

Rase
06-04-2009, 05:24 AM
Artist.

Ouch!
06-04-2009, 08:22 AM
As it's Final Fantasy, inclusion of red mage is just about a given. This satisfies me.

Mirage
06-04-2009, 09:34 AM
We'll probably see "most" of the old jobs from FFXI and older job-based games.

Roogle
06-04-2009, 06:07 PM
The Final Fantasy series has a breadth of character classes to delve into to provide a variety of jobs in Final Fantasy XIV.

Final Fantasy XI covered a wide range of jobs seen in previous games and I would love to see an even larger array of jobs in Final Fantasy XIV. I wonder if the development teams at Square Enix will focus on making a large amount of jobs available from the start?

The first version of Final Fantasy XI had only Warrior, Monk, Thief, Red Mage, White Mage, and Black Mage available, but it would be nice to see an expanded list of jobs from the very beginning if only because it would attract more people to the game.

Maybe making it easier to customize your character would attract more people to the game? In Final Fantasy V, for example, you could use many different types of job combinations and still be effective in combat. In Final Fantasy XI, only a few job combinations are considered acceptable by the community.

the AJman
06-05-2009, 06:39 AM
As long as they have a knight and maybe even some variants of it (paladin, dark knight), I'll be sound as pound baby, yeeaah.

Mirage
06-05-2009, 11:30 AM
FFXI without expansions actually had more than 6 jobs to choose from. Not every advanced job was added along with expansion packs.

Yeargdribble
06-05-2009, 04:17 PM
FFXI had 13 jobs at launch and added 7 more through expansions. It's just that when you first started you could only play the 6 basic jobs and were required to level to 30 to open the remaining advanced jobs.

While I'd love to see a huge diversity of jobs at launch there's the issue of balance. In FFIII it doesn't matter if one job completely blows the rest out of the water, but in an MMO balance is a very large issue even in a game lacking PvP. Pigeon-holing people into the "good jobs" sucks. Anyone who was playing FFXI when Dragoon was new to the game knows about this.

Without balance you couldn't play the job you liked without getting despised over all for your sub-par damage or weak utility. This problem grows exponentially with every job you add to the game.

As for my two cents. I want to see Geomancer quite a lot.

Masamunemaster
06-05-2009, 08:08 PM
and hopefully they arent as annoying to open...aka going through an area about 25 levels higher than you just to get ninja...

Ouch!
06-05-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm wondering how exactly weapons are going to fit into the development of your character when there's also a job system involved. Part of me thinks it might suggest different types of the same class (i.e., if you raise a red mage frequently wielding a sword, your melee capabilities may develop more than your magic) which would allow for some diversification within even the classes. While this would certainly be interesting, I can't imagine it would very much help the whole situation in FFXI which pigeon-holes players into cookie-cutter job combinations.

Then again, the perceived problem of cookie-cutter main/support job combinations in FFXI has never seemed as much of a problem to me as it has to other people. Some jobs are better paired than others simply due to their nature, and the ones that the community demands are the optimal, most efficient job pairings. People scream and shout, "I'm paying my money to play this game, I should be able to do what I want!" but I just shout back, "You're free to do what you want on your own time; but I'm paying too so don't drag me down if you want to play with an unorthodox (and frequently inferior) play-style."

Balancing between main jobs, on the other hand, is most certainly necessary, although I often think perceived imbalances between jobs are more frequently faults of the community as opposed to those of Square Enix. Certainly DRG was weak upon its introduction, but more often than not, such examples of weak jobs are usually just that the player base are, by and large, bad at playing said jobs. Case in point: puppet master. Take the average puppet master and they are, as the community loves to call them, a lolPUP. However, that's because the people playing them aren't willing to put the time, effort, and money into making a good PUP (all jobs take time and effort, and the economy in-game which drives the price of PUP gear up is controlled by us, not by SE). A good PUP can solo Diabolos Prime.

For those with attention deficiency disorders, here is a summarized snippet of the general ramblings for you to ponder over - the problem with job imbalance is as much the fault of the community as it is of Square Enix.

Yeargdribble
06-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics A/A2 and FFIX have all a system where you learn skills from weapons. Also, materia on weapons in FFVII was a way that weapons were significant in another game as well.

Rostum
06-05-2009, 11:55 PM
I hope there's a summoner class. I am in consideration of leveling summoner in FFXI, but honestly if they state the same kind of class in FFXIV then I'm all for that - I just hope it wouldn't be reduced to mediocre back-up healer during exp parties.

Ouch!
06-06-2009, 01:00 AM
Final Fantasy Tactics A/A2 and FFIX have all a system where you learn skills from weapons. Also, materia on weapons in FFVII was a way that weapons were significant in another game as well.
I hadn't considered that, but now that I think about it, that does seem far more likely than what I was thinking about. Still, in all those games exp. is a factor, and it seems that such a system of learning abilities through weapons still doesn't explain how it'll increase base stats.

Mirage
06-06-2009, 01:26 AM
and hopefully they arent as annoying to open...aka going through an area about 25 levels higher than you just to get ninja...

You can totally do that fight with a full party of lv30s!

Rostum
06-06-2009, 06:37 AM
I hadn't considered that, but now that I think about it, that does seem far more likely than what I was thinking about. Still, in all those games exp. is a factor, and it seems that such a system of learning abilities through weapons still doesn't explain how it'll increase base stats.

For all we know:

SE: "Not using exp."
*months later*
SE: "HAHA JUST KIDDING IT'S AN EXP. GRIND FEST!"

Masamunemaster
06-06-2009, 09:13 AM

You can totally do that fight with a full party of lv30s!

eh that and having someone rush you through the jungle to norg(I think that was it...haventbeen able to get on in months) and say hey....were gonna take off on chocos about halfway through...and leave you to find out how to get past the tough monsters yourself.....

Mirage
06-06-2009, 04:36 PM
You only need sneak to get through sea serpent grotto and to Norg.

Masamunemaster
06-06-2009, 06:01 PM
All the LS WHM were on vacation...at the same time for some reason....and everyone I ran across that had it was either busy or just plain @$$holes

Rostum
06-07-2009, 01:34 AM
Buy a silent oil or two, they are cheap as chips.

MrNash
06-07-2009, 02:27 AM

My guess would be that the weapon skills augment base stats as a character gets better with those weapons. ie. Someone who uses a heavy two-hander may see strength and defense stats go up, while an archer will see improved dexterity over time.

Each job would only be able to use certain weapons, so that would help prevent people from just maxing out all the weapons in search of uber-stats. Also, I hope this allows for more wiggle room as to how players play their class. Perhaps a mage equipped with a staff would play noticably different from one using a dagger, with even greater variety for the melee classes.

Anywho, sorry I veered a bit from the main purpose of the topic. As for jobs that I would like to see in FFXIV, geomancers would be nice, and some totally new jobs as well (thumb wrestlers! :p ).

McLovin'
06-07-2009, 11:27 AM
It's a Runescape mechanic :p

NeoTifa
06-08-2009, 01:33 AM
Dragoon, chemist, and archer.

Jiro
06-13-2009, 07:09 AM
I would like to see them break trend and make the basic classes (warrior, white mage, black mage, thief etc) really freaking awesome and lock them, so you have to start with the advanced classes. It would probably lead to a nicer spread of characters.

Masamunemaster
06-14-2009, 05:58 AM
I would like to see them break trend and make the basic classes (warrior, white mage, black mage, thief etc) really freaking awesome and lock them, so you have to start with the advanced classes. It would probably lead to a nicer spread of characters.

I would totally do archer til I got thf

Ouch!
06-14-2009, 08:50 AM
It would also deprive the game of some very basic classes without which it would be nearly impossible to form a functioning party. The most notable loss would be white and red mages as healers. To say the suggestion is illogical is an understatement: it's downright poor game design.

theundeadhero
06-16-2009, 10:38 PM
An Archer class would be awesome. I would play it.

Minus that, a WHM would be my main with a WAR as a secondary character.

Markus. D
06-24-2009, 11:35 PM
I quite like the RDM and the En. Enenenden!

OOH! and Bar! lots of Barbarbar.

Jiro
06-25-2009, 07:17 AM
It would also deprive the game of some very basic classes without which it would be nearly impossible to form a functioning party. The most notable loss would be white and red mages as healers. To say the suggestion is illogical is an understatement: it's downright poor game design.

I know, but it would be different :p

The Last Oath
06-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Mystic Knight Ultima Sword :O

Markus. D
07-15-2009, 01:56 AM
I'd like to see some form of Fencer or at least Rapier weapons, I think they'd definetly be a useful DPS role with a couple of changes to the Weapon Skills.

eg. Shadowstick could instead cause a focused lowering of attack speed (as to Speed) and Nighthawk being a limit-like skill (I hope they shorten 2 hour skills tbh...) that summons Shadow Talons to add damage onto the Fencer's attacks and buffet his/her TP.

and as the class leveled they'd gain a slight chance to inflict armor ignoring damage when using Rapiers.

Northcrest
07-30-2009, 02:22 AM
I'm all 4 classes dat r fast n strong n dual wield. magic i don't care for n defense isn't usually my priority. so i go 4 a ninja.

Ouch!
08-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Since it's relevant to this discussion, I thought I'd point out in this thread as well that the job system is dependent entirely upon what you're equipping. So far, confirmed job types are warrior, magus, crafter, and gatherer. So far, warrior can be something akin to a fencer or an archer, magus can be a sorcerer or an enchanter, crafter a smith or a cook, and gatherer a fisher or a gardener. Job changes occur on the fly by changing equipment. They've confirmed that we will not be seeing typical "Final Fantasy" job classes in this title.

Apparently this means my assumption about the inclusion of RDM being a given was wrong. This severely disappoints me. At the same time, I will attempt to reserve judgment until we get some game play videos.

KentaRawr!
08-07-2009, 12:54 PM
The lack of a Red Mage is...

Disturbing.

Ultimage
08-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Well, we don't know just how deep this system is yet. It could be totally possible that if you have the mage classes at a high enough skill and the fencer class at a high enough skill, and wear some kind of chainmail (RDMs can wear some of it), and have other gear for INT, MND, MP... maybe. I mean, that's just a crazy example, but it could still be possible some how. I'll wait for the beta or until more information in general is given out.

xXsarahXx
08-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Drg!!
As long as that reterns ill be happy.
Really loving mine :D

Ultimage
08-07-2009, 05:42 PM
I don't know if we'll have DRGs exactly, but there are enough polearms in the FFXIV logo to assume that the core abilities of a DRG will be available. I'd hope, anyways.

Tainted Angel
08-25-2009, 01:47 PM
I hope you don't have to join some stupid 'party', or can get NPC's to make a party out of. (I'd really like that.. plus it's more microtransaction monies for SE because it's four characters people will want to purchase items for. (Possibly.)

Since The Old Republic is looking to be PC only.. I'm going to get this for PS3Slim.

Zyuu
08-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Thoughts of there being a class system and no job system? :)

Del Murder
08-27-2009, 12:32 AM
What the smurf is the difference? Job, class, all the same.

Ultimage
08-27-2009, 02:40 AM
I agree, I've always seen the terms as interchangeable.