PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy IV: The After Years

Bastian
06-04-2009, 03:14 AM
And the best part? It's multiplayer! Up to four players!

The worst part? My birthday was over five months ago, and my mom bought me a Wii for my birthday, but lives far from me and still hasn't been up to visit to give it to me. Grrr!

Wolfen
06-04-2009, 07:21 AM
I played it.

Glad to see that it is a lot like the original SNES version. Also like the age of the moon system, Only gripe is that the transtion between menus is too ADD. It just "pops" up. There is no fade or transition to battles or to menu screen. Other than that, it's great!

Roogle
06-04-2009, 06:00 PM
I had no idea that the game was multiplayer. That feature must have been added in during localization. Can you play it online with friends?

~ Kain ~
06-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Okay for Ceodore's Challenge ive beat the boss like 30 times. Ive got
lustiful lali-ho x2
tent x2
cottage x2
Arctic wind x2
Hermes sandles x2
Adamantite x2 ... Sweet...
Obelisk
Mythril Knife
elfin Bow
diamond shield, helmet, armor, gloves, all x1
flan ring x2
sledgehammer x2 ...confuses enemies, nice..
demonslayer x2
gold hairpin
luminous robe
bomb crank

there...ive done rydias once and got a black robe, smurfin sweet. Anyone get anything else useful there?

Bastian
06-07-2009, 03:12 AM
From the description, it doesn't sound like online play is possible. The reviewer said the multiplayer setup was like VI and XI (assigning specific characters to a specific controller).

Honestly, I never really play any multiplayer games online. The fun in having the friend in the same room as you are in to talk with about how hard a boss was or whatever. And to strategize (haha, spell check claims that's not a word).

Sephex
06-09-2009, 04:28 AM
I am liking it so far. I know some aspects of the story will bother the s*** out of a lot of people, but I find it to be very interesting. Can't wait to play through all the other chapters.

Zechs
06-09-2009, 09:49 AM
I quite enjoyed the initial story... Would have liked it to be longer... But the other chapters should be just as good.

Takara
06-12-2009, 10:31 AM
I know some aspects of the story will bother the s*** out of a lot of people

It bothered more than just the s*** out of me. But maybe that's just me.

Roogle
06-12-2009, 05:35 PM

Care to elaborate? Are you bothered by what happens in the later chapters or the entire story?

Elpizo
06-13-2009, 10:10 AM
I won't play this game simply because of what they did with Golbez. **** you, SE!

KoShiatar
06-14-2009, 12:30 PM
I know some aspects of the story will bother the s*** out of a lot of people

I think I can understand what Takara says, being myself a major Kain fan. But when I saw the Holy Dragoon, I think I was blushing.

This game was a wonderful surprise for me because I didn't know it was going to come out on WiiWare. I downloaded it the same day I found out (yesterday).
So far only two things bother me: the chapters are too short and, they really could have recycled a bit less at least for enemies and bosses. WTF, Octomammoth again? But it's good to go through old dungeons again, see people, and so on. It's perfect for old fans like me.
By the way, I'm trying not to get spoilers around. I knew too much about the Hooded Man already.

Sir Lancealot
06-14-2009, 12:51 PM
But when I saw the Holy Dragoon, I think I was blushing.

I was thinking "What the?"

KoShiatar
06-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Because you're a man. I'm a girl. And Kain is still the most sexiest pixel man ever. Better even than Leon S. Kennedy, I daresay, because he doesn't utter lame lines.

Sephex
06-14-2009, 07:47 PM
Because you're a man. I'm a girl. And Kain is still the most sexiest pixel man ever. Better even than Leon S. Kennedy, I daresay, because he doesn't utter lame lines.

I actually thought it was cool. Probably because I always had a soft sport for Kain, and I always felt bad that his inner struggles were left unresolved. Though, I know the majority of people here prefer Dark Knight Cecil over Paladin Cecil (because HE IS TEH DARK LOL), so I am not surprised that some people don't like what they did with Kain.

I am guessing they do something similar with Golbez, too, since other people on this forum keep on complaining about something to do with him. No one tell me if I am right or not. Don't even quote this part and even give me a hint, please. I will wait and see for myself.

KoShiatar
06-14-2009, 09:14 PM
I agree with you Sephex. Probably one of the reasons people like Kain, though, is because of his inner struggles and because he's the only one at the end of FFIV that doesn't become a king nor lives happily ever after. That's why they don't like what they did with him.
As for me, I expected that after 16 or so years he'd gotten over Rosa, but no... and I can't say I don't like it, because it keeps the sentimental tension that added so much to the first game in place.

Sephex
06-14-2009, 09:39 PM
I agree with you Sephex. Probably one of the reasons people like Kain, though, is because of his inner struggles and because he's the only one at the end of FFIV that doesn't become a king nor lives happily ever after. That's why they don't like what they did with him.
As for me, I expected that after 16 or so years he'd gotten over Rosa, but no... and I can't say I don't like it, because it keeps the sentimental tension that added so much to the first game in place.

Yeah, I understand that view point as well. However, that's why I also like what they did. I was like, "C'mon, man! It's been almost two decades! Get over your inner conflicts! You can do iiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttt!"

I also became a huge dork and identified that scene with some stuff that has happened to me in real life, so that's probably another reason why I liked it.

Takara
06-15-2009, 05:41 AM
I'm all for Kain to stop angsting and stop pining over Rosa, but yeah... Almost two decades is a bit much to get over it.

And then there's the whole part about him ditching the Dragoons to become a Red Wing that made me rage the most. I've ranted so much on the subject to my friends, to my AIM contacts (even those who never played the game) and on my deviantART journal.

KoShiatar
06-15-2009, 09:29 AM
WTF? I haven't gotten to that part yet. When does he do that? I only have played the first part of the game, up to the Holy Dragoon thing. I added you as a friend in LJ. Username's Spookje.

Crossblades
06-15-2009, 07:30 PM
I've decided to wait until all the chapters get released so I can purchase them all at once. I feel like I can enjoy the game better that way instead of completing a few chapters and then waiting for others to get released.

Takara
06-16-2009, 06:59 AM
WTF? I haven't gotten to that part yet. When does he do that? I only have played the first part of the game, up to the Holy Dragoon thing. I added you as a friend in LJ. Username's Spookje.

At the end of the game. Just remembering about it makes me want to bang my head against the nearest wall.

Dragonface
06-16-2009, 07:25 AM
I've decided to wait until all the chapters get released so I can purchase them all at once. I feel like I can enjoy the game better that way instead of completing a few chapters and then waiting for others to get released.

You can get Rydia's Tales as it also released at the same time as the main story.

Crossblades
06-16-2009, 04:30 PM
You can get Rydia's Tales as it also released at the same time as the main story.

Nah, I'll just wait till ALL chapters get released

KoShiatar
07-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Today the new chapter's out!
Too bad they are so short. :-(

Zeromus_X
07-08-2009, 02:44 AM
Well here I am barely finishing FFIVDS, I'm really slow. I think I'll also wait until all the chapters are released to play them all at once.

From what I saw of the gameplay, all the menus/animations were very smooth and fast.

Wolfen
07-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Was I supposed to get Edward at the end of the first tale? Cus Wikipedia mentions him reuniting with Cid, Rosa, the Hooded Man, and Ceodore when Kain defeats his dark side and becomes a Holy Dragoon.. There were also five characters that appeared when they saw Cecil right before the credits, even though I had only four people in my party.

Also, found a wallpaper of The After Years on Wikipedia.

http://www.square-enix.com/jp/members/calendar/images/wallpaper0802_03.jpg

((Yeah Rydia, you don't look suggestive at all. XD))

KoShiatar
07-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Nope, because Edward has his Story later on.
Incidentally it's pissing me off that the new chapters seem not to be available yet in Germany.

Wolfen
07-13-2009, 12:15 AM
Then why are there five characters before Cecil, even though I have only four in my party?

Also, for those doing Rydia's tale: Get the Tomahawk and the Dancing Dagger at the Kokkol Forge before you go to the Overworld. The Mythril Hammer and Bow 'n Arrows are the better weapons for Rydia and Luca until you get to the mines, and then the numbers next to the "attack" stats make the Tomahawk and Dancing Dagger the better weapons for them.

Just a little bit of advice.

Also, SAVE BEFORE YOU OPEN THE LAST CHEST IN THE MINES.

Sephex
08-10-2009, 03:15 AM
I've recently downloaded all the available chapters and I have been catching up. All I have to say is...

***MINOR SPOILERS***

The Mysterious Girl battle theme is f***ing awesome.

YouTube - Final Fantasy IV: The After Years - Mysterious Girl Battle Music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giw4e6U5A9s)

Bastian
08-12-2009, 06:26 PM
My best friend and I just started playing the first chapter last night (yay for multiplayer!). We're HUGE FFIV dorks so we had a lot of expectations. So far . . . it's meeting all of them! It's so magical to be able to return to this same piece of my childhood all these years later and explore deeper into it!

Awesome game so far!

Resonate
08-14-2009, 05:13 PM
I had no idea that the game was multiplayer. That feature must have been added in during localization. Can you play it online with friends?

Hahaha, I had no idea that the game existed. How do I always manage to miss out on my favorite things ;_;

Wolfen
08-16-2009, 02:00 AM
It seems like Rydia's Tale and the Main tale were the only ones that were of sufficient length to really satisfy me. The other tales have felt too short, and sometimes tedious.

beema
09-22-2009, 08:56 AM
hows this chapter system work? you have to pay for each one?

Bastian
10-07-2009, 05:02 AM
Hi, Beema!

Yes, you buy each chapter seperately. They are usually $3 a piece, except for the main beginning one and the main ending ones which are $8 a piece.

I was really enjoying it. My friend and I got as far as Edge's Tale, but it splinters off into four separate tales that have little to do with Edge . . . So we got bored for the night and saved and stopped. We'll pick it back up again next week.

Kyros
10-07-2009, 05:17 AM
I'm tempted to replay IV before buying this b/c even though I remember most of the story I'd prefer to be a little more reacquainted with it first :x

IXVI
10-07-2009, 06:32 AM
And the best part? It's multiplayer! Up to four players!

The worst part? My birthday was over five months ago, and my mom bought me a Wii for my birthday, but lives far from me and still hasn't been up to visit to give it to me. Grrr! WHAT UP TO 4 MULTIPLAYER???? BAD ASS

Levian
10-10-2009, 12:11 AM
Woah, multiplayer indeed! I wonder if I can trick a friend or two into playing this with me.

I love multiplayer FF's

Del Murder
10-15-2009, 06:23 PM
I keep forgetting to download this as I have been occupied with Twilight Princess. Maybe posting in this thread will serve as a reminder.

IXVI
10-16-2009, 06:26 AM
Woah, multiplayer indeed! I wonder if I can trick a friend or two into playing this with me.

I love multiplayer FF's

I aswell, Friend...

Bastian
12-23-2009, 08:49 PM
OMFG!

So, my friend that I've been playing with has been in charge of saving after every chapter, and I remember on chapter two thinking . . . hm . . . aren't we supposed to be saving in separate slot for each chapter, but didn't correct him on it, assuming he knew what he was doing . . .

We've reached the beginning of the last chapter and it turns out . . . we have to replay them ALL all over again . . . because we've just been saving in one save slot.

UGH!

NeoCracker
01-01-2010, 07:55 AM
The only thing I'm really wondering is how to go about the system save data. If, say, I beat the initial chapter and them Poroms tale, if I save over the system save data, will it still have me registered as beating both tales?

Edit: And I think Bastions post basically answers my question. :p

Bastian
01-02-2010, 10:10 AM
NeoCracker: yes, unfortunately I learned the hard way that you must save each chapter's completed data in a separate file. I wish they'd made it a bit more clear when you complete each chapter, but ah well.

Because of this, I had to power through ALL chapters all over again. I managed it in two days. :P

Now I'm maxing out levels in each character in each chapter before importing them into the final chapter. those Challenge Dungeons are difficult! But fun!

NeoCracker
01-14-2010, 04:05 AM
Yangs is a breeze though. It's so easy to power level in that place. Then you can easilly have both him and Ursula one shotting everything in that place. Those two are beasts.

Rydia's is simple too once you learn Bio and know the path to take. So after one or two runs, you'll be aquiring rare items in no time.

I've completely finished Yangs chapter. Obtained all the bonus dungeon rare drops, and even got that damned Red Tail. Just need to power through Rydias dungeon a few more times to get the Adamantite, Sprint Ring, Gold Hairpin and Black Robe. To bad the last chest isnt' a guaranteed rare Item like it is in Yangs. :(

Bastian
01-21-2010, 04:09 AM
I finished all the chapters (save the last) and their Challenge Dungeons. However . . . I doubt I acquired all the rare drops. Ah well.

We're now fairly far into the final chapter . . . excited to see how this ends!

Levian
01-23-2010, 04:43 PM
*edits thread title*

this wasn't released yesterday on the wii anymore :D

I still haven't managed to find any friend at all to play this game with :/

Robostar
01-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Does this game only cost 800 wii points? Do you have to spend more for the extra downloaded content?

Roogle
01-23-2010, 10:43 PM
No, the Prologue of the game costs 800 Wii Points. Please view the Final Fantasy IV: The After Years article on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV:_The_After_Years) for more information on pricing.

Del Murder
03-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Oh man why didn't I get this game sooner. It's everything I wanted. A true old school sequel to an old school FF game.

I'm hearing talk that it's too short so maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm only at the waterway.

Roogle
03-08-2010, 07:38 AM
No, the entire game is not short, but the entire collection effectively lacks a middle of the game. You complete individual chapters to prepare them for the end game. There is only one chapter that acts as a middle of the game segue into the end of the game.

Del Murder
03-09-2010, 05:20 AM
Yeah so this game annoys me now. The encounter rate is outrageous and every other battle is a back attack. Might as well just put my healers in the first row regardless. I completed Kain's chapter and tried the 'Bonus dungeon' and got slaughtered. I don't think I'll go back there.

Bastian
03-14-2010, 01:12 AM
The bonus dungeons are impossible unless you're quite leveled up and take it VERY slowly and safely.

Here's my review of the (almost) entire game (because my friend and I are saved right before what we are sure must be the final boss):
Motherfucking awesome!
EXCEPT: I wish they hadn't used so much stuff from the previous game. By that, I mean: was it really necessary to have Fabul attacked in EXACTLY the same way it was in the first game?
I also didn't like having to revisit certain places multiple times. I don't know HOW many times I had to travel the Waterway thing. But TOO many.
Also, the last dungeon:
That many boss battles in one dungeon is absurd and came off as fan-game-ish to me. Don't get me wrong: totally fun. But it still was a bit silly.

That being said, I LOVED it! I was shocked when I heard this game was being made and then shocked it was actually coming to the US! And then shocked that it was so good. I hope it sold well enough for Squeenix to take note and make more quality sequels to such games. Or at least to make more old-school style games.

Del Murder
03-14-2010, 09:27 PM
I just used teleport to escape the battles and went after the treasure. The boss wasn't that bad since I fought him on the moon where special attacks are boosted so Kain's jump did like 4000 damage. I only got a bomb fragment from it though. :mad:

Bastian
03-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Bomb Fragment? Lame.

That's the annoying thing about how the Bonus Dungeons are set up. There's a list of treasures you CAN get from the chest, but it's random which one you actually get. I'm not a completest these days, so I didn't bother going back in to hunt down the rare stuff.

Quina
04-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Yeah I really hate random treasure chests. They pulled this crap in FFXII too which is just crap. In online games like XI I get it since you can't just have one chest for one person to open, but in one player games it's just silly and a cheap way to have replay value.

Edit: Oh yeah I'm Quina. Uh, I EAT YOUR BOMB FRAGMENT. *learns Self-Destruct*