PDA

View Full Version : Races

Rostum
06-06-2009, 12:02 AM
How do you guys feel about the re-use of the races from FFXI in FFXIV? I guess this is more relevant to FFXI players, but anyone feel free to answer.

To be honest, at first I was a little disappointed to hear that news, but it is growing on me more and more. If it were to be successful, they'd really need to redesign them (and it looks like that's what they are doing, especially with a new lead artist). Galka seems to be re-imagined in a much better way, as does the elvaan (however, that is pre-rendered so who knows). I like that Mithra have bushy tales now, but I'd be interested to see what the Tarutaru will look like. It is also nice to see the Hume males look much more masculine (in FFXI they are very feminine).

Do you think they will keep the same names? I hope they decide to call them something else.

Anyway, just random throughts, anything discussion about races is welcome.

Ouch!
06-06-2009, 12:58 AM
I'm interested to see what this new race they've mentioned might bring to the table. The five races from FFXI cover all the bases fairly well. They already range from well-rounded to all the extremes, so I'm not sure what exactly a sixth race will offer. Although, if it's anything like FFXI, ultimately race will not matter except for certain circumstances (usually difficult endgame stuff), so perhaps it won't be so vastly different from something we already have.

Mirage
06-06-2009, 01:29 AM
There are certainly some hume males that actually look masculine in FFXI though. I can think of 4 at the top of my head, which is like half of the possibilities.

Ultimage
06-06-2009, 03:04 AM
Meh, as far as races go, I'm still not sure how I feel about the Galkas not having tails. It just looks weird. Also, a friend of mine (who is a galka) always says "That's not a tail," so if nothing else, it was good for a few laughs.

Yeargdribble
06-06-2009, 03:29 AM
I understand why they kept them and I kinda like the idea honestly. For me, having gotten fed up with the lashing FFXI was giving be years ago, I think there will be a strong home-coming feeling when I start FFXIV. It's really a win-win for them. Old players will get to wash themselves in nostalgia and new players won't notice much difference so it won't matter. The third option are those that play FFXI right up until the release and somehow feel no attachment to their races and rue the idea... but honestly, SE will get their money either from them sticking steadfast to FFXI or switching regardless of their distaste of the "unoriginality" that SE is using.

I'm happy about it... but I'm pretty torn on the name thing and leaning towards wishing they would keep the same names. Like my wife has said, "I don't care what they rename Mithras... I'm still going to call them Mithras."

It's an interesting double-edged sword. Not only did the races seep into our being and make us feel connection to them (a large part of why SE is keeping them), but the labels (names) of these races did the same. To keep the races and change the names will probably result in some mild unsettling.

Either way... it's out of my hands. Tanaka has already commented on it (though depending on community feedback this type of thing is always subject to change this early in dev).

"However, while they look similar on the surface, they will be given somewhat of a makeover, which Tanaka says will include new names for the races."
~Hiromichi Tanaka | Source (http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=18309)

Rostum
06-06-2009, 06:33 AM
There are certainly some hume males that actually look masculine in FFXI though. I can think of 4 at the top of my head, which is like half of the possibilities.

Sorry, I meant appealing male hume's, not beard face, indian dude and baldy.

Mirage
06-06-2009, 04:37 PM
I'm sure some people find those appealing... :(

Yeargdribble
06-06-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm somewhat torn about what to choose honestly. I was a taru before and I loved being cute. If I were to ever be a taru again I'd want to be the same one with the same hair honestly. At the same time I like being able to see my gear better sometimes. For 3 years of WoW I've been a Tauren and I love being huge and beefy and bulky. Strange thing is, I never wanted to be a cute gnome in WoW and never wanted to be a beefy Galka in FFXI.

I hope the stat differences are kept to a relative minimum because I don't wanna pick boring Hume by default just because they will allow me to play most flexibly.

Something else to keep in mind... there's always a chance that there will be both sexes for the new Galka and Mithra. If being a manthra was balanced it might be a nice medium... but I don't want to be a catboy.

... almost certainly am gonna end up a taru...

Nostalgia > Reason

Ultimage
06-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Female Galka? I can picture that. {No thanks.} They could make the females completely different from the males, but since DNC AF is basically the same between males and females, I'm not expecting much.

Del Murder
06-06-2009, 07:12 PM
I think it's dumb. This is a new game, a new world, there should be new races. The races of FFXI had rich histories and were a large part of the dynamic of Vanadiel. To me they belong to that world and no other. Are they going to have new backstories, new dynamics in this game? It will be hard to forget the past.

Roogle
06-06-2009, 09:48 PM
I hope that the reimagined Tarutaru look more like the conceptual images of pesky little children rather than strange, bipedal puppies of some kind.

Yeargdribble
06-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Well I can see how the fact that they already have a backstory may clash with a new set of characters who will have new backstories yet retain the same look.

Rostum
06-07-2009, 01:52 AM
That is a good point Del. Hopefully it's something that doesn't hinder it too much, especially if the designs are re-imagined (Galka does look different enough to me to forget about the Galka's actual backstory in FFXI).

MrNash
06-07-2009, 02:14 AM
I like Galka and Taru, so I'm happy to hear they're coming back in some form. It would be interesting to see some races that simply don't get along, though. Either they're constantly at war with one another, or players need to go through interesting quest lines in order to get on their good side. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for some interesting, new races to be thrown into the mix this time around.

Lionx
06-07-2009, 12:22 PM
I am probably one of the few that liked the feminine Humes. lolz

I think its cool that they are back, if there is a Taru with the same hairstyle and/or build, then it will be just like my old character, plunging headfirst into a new world and adventure. Except somehow i lost all my skills haha. If there are male mithras i will probably play as one too, as one of the reasons why i did not choose a mithra all those years back was because they were all female, and it felt extremely awkward to play as one...

At the same time, if there are no new races i might be disappointed. I was hoping that it would be something like FFTA world, and i can be a Moogle or Bangaa. A new race can help those transferring from FFXI, and keep the game fresh for them. Not just FFXI v2.0

Jiro
06-13-2009, 07:06 AM
I would've liked to see different races. Because, for me, this just feels like a half-ass way to release the same game (FFXI) and make more money from it. If they make it unique and interesting, then I won't hate on it so much :p

The Summoner of Leviathan
06-13-2009, 07:10 AM
It'd be awesome if they had Vieras!

Miriel
06-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Bleh.

I seriously can't be the only one who is just sick of the LOOK of FFXI? I mean my god, I've been staring at the same character designs for yeeeears. And to start off with, the Taru Tarus were the only ones who were really special. Elvaans are hideous and humes are so generic and forgettable looking. Square's reasoning is that players from FFXI can go ahead and build identical characters in FFXIV. What the hell is that? Why would anyone WANT to make an exact duplicate of a character from a different game in a new and separate game? Are there really people out there who are that attached to their characters? Jesus christ. That's like breaking up with one boyfriend and hooking up with another who looks EXACTLY like him. Pointless.

Let's get some variety up in here please.

ThePheonix
06-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Well, seeing how about 1/3 of the people over at the BG forums seemed to have wanted to and for some reason were very convinced that they would be allowed to transfer their whole ffxi characters over to ffxiv until the Q&A answered that question quite clearly... I'd say there are some people who just don't like anything new and just want it to be ffxi with a graphics boost:roll2. The good new is, it's a separate, new ff, and although some of it will likely be similar to xi (races... hope there will be new ones as well though) nothing should be quite the same, especially since they're going with a more sci-fi theme for this one. (Chocobo power like in ffX?:choc:)

Yeargdribble
06-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Square's reasoning is that players from FFXI can go ahead and build identical characters in FFXIV. What the hell is that? Why would anyone WANT to make an exact duplicate of a character from a different game in a new and separate game? Are there really people out there who are that attached to their characters?

I'll probably be making the same character honestly >.> Of course, I got about a 3 year break from mine. I actually see quite a few people who want to create the same character and especially keep the same name.

After playing other MMOs I'm definitely not that tired of the look of FFXI. It has some of the best art direction out there. I've been watching through the storyline (http://ffxicutscenes.blogspot.com/) and I'm really amazed at how good the game still looks just because of the art-style.

To each their own though.

That's like breaking up with one boyfriend and hooking up with another who looks EXACTLY like him. Pointless.

Not that I missed your point, but generally people (non-shallow people) don't break up with someone based on the way they look. You can date someone similar looking but with a better personality.

I hope FFXIV has a better personality than FFXI.

since they're going with a more sci-fi theme

Enh... I'm not sure I'd call it a sci-fi theme, but I guess it has more of one than before. I'm just glad it's not going full out sci-fi the way the offline FFs are going these days. Sci-fi+RPG just has never been that appealing to me.

Once again... too each their own.

I'd say there are some people who just don't like anything new and just want it to be ffxi with a graphics boost

I'd definitely say this is true. I guess it's really hard to let go of the lore of FFXI. The fact that they are keeping the same races and giving them different backstories may be difficult because we already connect so much to the current races and their rich lore.

I really want something new and fresh, though I don't mind them keeping some of the same races. It's very welcoming and not altogether different than when a new FF game includes airships, Cid and chocobos.

Jessweeee♪
06-13-2009, 07:42 PM
For some reason I thought of cars before people when I saw the thread title :|

theundeadhero
06-16-2009, 10:40 PM
I wonder if they're going with the same Taru make the best end game mages, Elvaan make the best end game monk, etc... theme.

Wolf Kanno
06-25-2009, 05:46 AM
I have no problem with them keeping the XI races but I was hoping to hear of several new races, not just one being added. I can't say I have ever been fond of XI's races, I'm still miffed that I was denied the ability to play as a moogle online. :mad2:

I'd love to see several new races and I care very little if they statistically crossed over with other established races, I just want the option to choose something visually different. I'd prefer a Bangaa over a Galuk and a moogle over a Taru yet I don't mind if they were statistically similar; nor do I wish for the total elimination of XI races cause they are an established part of the FF mythos now.

I'm all for a visual change with some of the races.

KentaRawr!
06-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Most of my characters in online games are made to be similar to my first characters in PSO. I chose the Tarutaru originally because they could have blue hair. :p Now I'll probably choose Tarutaru again because I played through FFXI as it. Well, until I made that Hume, anyway. :p

Ouch!
06-26-2009, 09:18 PM
I have no problem with them keeping the XI races but I was hoping to hear of several new races, not just one being added. I can't say I have ever been fond of XI's races, I'm still miffed that I was denied the ability to play as a moogle online. :mad2:

I'd love to see several new races and I care very little if they statistically crossed over with other established races, I just want the option to choose something visually different. I'd prefer a Bangaa over a Galuk and a moogle over a Taru yet I don't mind if they were statistically similar; nor do I wish for the total elimination of XI races cause they are an established part of the FF mythos now.

I'm all for a visual change with some of the races.
I thought I'd let you know that by FFXI standards, you're racist against Galka (don't worry, 90% of the population is).

Lionx
06-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Its usually because they cannot afford speed stick :(

Wolf Kanno
07-01-2009, 08:36 AM
I thought I'd let you know that by FFXI standards, you're racist against Galka (don't worry, 90% of the population is).

Is it because I misspelled their name? ;)

Ouch!
07-01-2009, 08:54 AM

Is it because I misspelled their name? ;)
Most people I know do it intentionally as a racial slur. Dirty galaks.