PDA

View Full Version : Music

Yeargdribble
06-08-2009, 07:18 AM
I have to say I'm concerned about the music a little. Once upon a time I was a huge fan of Uematsu, and that's not to say that he's not great... I even was displeased when the series started to add other composers to the music staff. But now, looking back I'm not sure I want an all Uematsu score for FFXIV.

The music in FFXI is ... it's like it's fused with my soul. It was such a huge part of the experience for me and listening to it makes me feel a yearning and nostalgia frighteningly stronger than any other desire I've had for a game.

Hopefully the announcement adjust from "Uematsu will do 100% of the music" to "Uematsu will have his hand in 100% of the music and oversee the composition staff."

That said, the two tracks listenable now (on the website and in the trailer) are fairly impressive and the one in the trailer really gives that same FFXI feel to an extent.

MrNash
06-08-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm not really concerned about who is composing the music. If Uematsu does it all himself, that's fine by me. He is pretty synonymous with FF as far as music goes, and I've yet to tire of his work.

I do agree, though, that a lot of music from FFXI really sticks with you. I haven't played in a couple of years, and I still really like the tracks for the areas in and around Bastok, Altepe Desert, Yuhtunga Jungle, and the tune for the summer festival each year.

Ouch!
06-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Can't say I'm particularly attached to FFXI's music. Then again, I rarely play with the in-game music on unless I'm doing a mission. Occasionally walking through the Sanctuary of Zi'Tah, I'll turn the music on just because that track is absolutely fantastic.

That's not to mean I don't like the soundtrack. Not at all. It's more that after the first three years, I just got bloody sick of it. While I expect the utmost quality from Uematsu (Lost Odyssey's fantastic soundtrack proved that he's still go it in him to compose an entire soundtrack for a game), I also expect that after spending an unhealthy amount of time in game, no matter how good the soundtrack may be, I'm going to get tired of hearing the same songs over and over again.

While this may sound like sacrilege, they really need to just drop the battle music. It's the most obnoxious thing in FFXI when you're in a party.

Also, they need to not only go half way this time around. Each area needs to have background music. I'm not saying each area needs to have an individual track, but it just bugs me going into a majority of dungeons in FFXI only to find that there's no musical accompaniment that I've come to expect.

Lionx
06-08-2009, 09:33 AM
I am excited that Nobuo will be making more music in FFXIV. FFXI did have some of his work but it was few and far between which made me quite unhappy.

However, that is not to say Naoshi Mizuta, the composer of the majority of the music in FFXI(~90% of it), is not good. Some of his music like the battle theme when you solo in old areas, are actually very good pieces of music. You just don't notice it much when you are battling, and it doesnt pump you up. But when you listen to it outside of the game, you will notice that this guy has potential, and it shows with each successive expansion.

Examples of such are the Sanctuary of Zi'tah, where he composed that song many people are addicted to. As well as Ronfaure [ S ]'s theme that rivals even Nobuo's original Ronfaure track. Each successive battle theme kept you pumped up more and more, and i would love listening to it in those areas. Other noteworthy ones imo are the Illusu Atoll area, Addyewa Subterrene, Lufaise Meadows, and his dynamic Chains of Promathia battle themes.

It would be a huge shame for me to see him go, as he is only getting better with each song he makes. If anything i hope he makes it into the music team in FFXIV at the least, he does not deserve to be brushed aside like that imo, this man has potential!

Seriously listen to it outside the game and undistracted from the game...they are great pieces of art.

On that note i love the Battle Themes, they separate it from other MMOs and are great. ^^ I do agree that we need music for every area, even if there is one 'Cave Theme' or something. As long as theres something going, its will to be more bearable. I am sick of hearing the wind SFX blow...=/

Rostum
06-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Considering Uematsu's pieces in FFXI were by far the best out of all the soundtracks in the game, I am not too worried.

Yeargdribble
06-08-2009, 02:37 PM
While I wouldn't mind some cave music, sometimes the sheer absence to a background track you're so used to speaks volumes as well.

After 3 years I too turned almost all in-game music off. Of course after being away from the game for nearly 3 years I find that looking back it had an incredible impact on me. WoW's in-game music is focused on being too ambient and there are almost no tracks that make me feel anything (Icecrown is pretty great though).

Rostum
06-09-2009, 06:57 AM
If you can, listen to Aion's soundtrack - especailly the tracks Dream of the Shepherd (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwVg9X_V1Ns) and Death Waltz (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6inOwHzHmL8). That is what FFXIV will need - it's ambient, but it's also catchy and has character.

I think for the most part, FFXI's soundtrack has made an impact on me as a whole, whereas WoW's I could only name a couple that'd spark a bit of emotion.

Yeargdribble
06-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Haha, my wife and I have actually been playing the Chinese release of Aion on and off. I do like the music more than WoW and in a lot of ways I think Aion makes huge improvements on WoW and might actually give it a run for its money, though it's still lacking that FF flavor.

But I agree about the music.

Ultimage
06-09-2009, 02:58 PM
I have to say, honestly, I'll be playing the game from the start with no music. At the most, it will barely be audible, I'll have the volume so low. Not because I don't like the music, it's just that for the past couple of years, every time I get in game, I load up Vent and stay in Vent until I log out (sometimes, even after I log out). Then, unfortunately, music becomes a problem. I might turn it on during those times no one is in Vent, but most of the time, it will be very quiet.

Rostum
06-10-2009, 01:13 AM
Haha, my wife and I have actually been playing the Chinese release of Aion on and off. I do like the music more than WoW and in a lot of ways I think Aion makes huge improvements on WoW and might actually give it a run for its money, though it's still lacking that FF flavor.

Yeah, I played 10 hours worth of the Chinese release with some sort of English patch. I am interested in trying more, it's quite a beautiful game with decent mechanics - but you are right, it still does lack that FF "flavor".

Yeargdribble
06-10-2009, 06:06 AM
The gathering system really appealed to me of all things.

We played it in open beta for a week or so and then bought some time when it went retail.

Seriously... every game should charge by the hour. People think they are getting Jewed unless they are paying a flat monthly fee and they are wrong. It's literally a few cents and hour to buy time and it's only counting time you're actually playing. We bought 20 hours each for about $4.

I did the rough math on it and you'd have to play roughly 6 hours a day to get your money's worth of WoW at the same rate.

Rocket Edge
06-11-2009, 10:33 PM
The music in FFXI is ... it's like it's fused with my soul. It was such a huge part of the experience for me and listening to it makes me feel a yearning and nostalgia frighteningly stronger than any other desire I've had for a game.
Thats the staying power in the game for me. FFXII disapointed in that aspect because the music was fairly :bou::bou::bou::bou:e. I just hope the score in XIV is on par with the earlier FF's, because if it is then it will remain nostalgic like the rest of them. Here's hoping for Uematsu to do the full game!

Bunny
06-12-2009, 05:23 PM
For the most part, the music has always fallen into the background as I progress into the game further and have more stuff to do. Doubly with MMOs like FFXI and WoW, my attention is elsewhere and I don't actively listen to the music enough to actually appreciate it more than a passing notion.

Yeargdribble
06-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Well eventually in any MMO I either end up turning it down or off. Vent is one obvious reason, but sometimes I just bore of it. Also, sometimes it can be horrible. ToAU music was largely what got me in the habit of muting my music. Not to mention by then I was doing a lot of sitting around LFG or something (leveling DRG) and so I would mute the in-game music and do something productive on my other monitor.

Jiro
06-13-2009, 07:20 AM
It's good to see he has input, but I wouldn't mind seeing work by other people too. We're not going to have anyone to take over when he retires if he gets all the work :p

Eorzea
07-09-2009, 05:09 AM
I really liked FFXI's music, but I've always enjoyed Nobuo Uematsu's music as well. I'm anxious to see what he can come up with. Personally, I'm really looking forward to some beautiful piano compositions. :cool:

I do agree with Yeargdribble, though: I think Nobuo Uematsu overseeing all compositions as opposed to writing them all himself may be for the best.

How do you feel about the two pieces of music that have been released thus far (the one in the E3 trailer and the background music on the official site)? You can download/stream them from http://www.ff14site.com/media/music/index.php if you'd like. I think they sound wonderful. :up:

I'm looking forward to seeing what Nobuo comes up with!

Yeargdribble
07-09-2009, 05:37 PM
The music on the site has such obvious Uematsu touches. The little licks that are so reminiscent of Locke's theme make me chuckle a bit. However, both pieces give me a fairly strong vibe of FFXI's style, particularly San d'Orian type stuff.

Despite my concerns, I am pleased with what I've heard so far. I'm really anxious to get a little more.

Markus. D
07-31-2009, 07:29 AM
Heck, there's alot of FFXI songs I'd be happy to listen to refreshed/re-arranged versions of xD!

I must say... if they plan on similar large areas... I'd like consistantly changing BGM.

KentaRawr!
08-01-2009, 12:44 AM
While I feel that FFXI's music has made an impact as well, how strange it is with a different composer really depends on how similar FFXI and FFXIV end up being.

KentaRawr!
04-16-2010, 03:28 AM
And now we know that the soundtrack is good. :jess:

Aydin
07-06-2010, 09:20 AM
I really loved Final Fantasy XI's music. However, what I didn't like was that in most places and dungeons, there was NO music. For example, the dunes didn't have music and I am 100% sure that SE is capable of making beach music...

Loony BoB
07-06-2010, 09:51 AM
I won't be checking out the FFXIV music until the game is released if I can help it. Mostly down to me wanting to listen to the music as I enter a new area and allowing me to better draw in the atmosphere. Having said that, I can see Danielle and I removing music pretty damned quickly given that our two PCs are right next to each other. Although we often play with headsets on to avoid any issue.

Del Murder
07-06-2010, 06:04 PM
I think SE just got lazy in some of the early areas. I think all of the more recent expansion areas have music.