PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete [Review]

Cyric
06-09-2009, 07:08 AM
It seems like an entirely different movie with the extra 26 minutes added to it. No longer does it feel like a fan-job, but a true movie with a well developed story. Some aspects of the added footage include more of Denzel's history, more flashbacks of Cloud's past, and last but DEFINITELY not least an extended MUCH more epic, and violent, battle with Sephiroth at the end. Not to mention the extra time we had to wait for Square Enix to re-texture and re-render the entire movie at full 1080p HD, is ENTIRELY worth it.

5/5

Blu-ray.com - Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Blu-ray Review (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?id=4832&show=review)

G13
06-10-2009, 06:47 AM
Kind of straying from the rating deal, but does anyone know if this is coming out on DVD? I don't really wanna buy a Blu-Ray just for that.

Cyric
06-12-2009, 04:51 AM
Kind of straying from the rating deal, but does anyone know if this is coming out on DVD? I don't really wanna buy a Blu-Ray just for that.

The reason the Blu-Ray has 26 minutes more is because it fits on the disc. They had to CUT the 26 minutes in order for it to fit on the DVD, hence the 'Complete'. If you're stuck with just DVD, I guess you're screwed until you go Blu.

G13
06-15-2009, 08:26 AM
Not really. After reading that, I just downloaded it. Cheaper than buying a Blu-Ray just for one movie.

Zora
06-15-2009, 08:42 AM
Out of curiosity, if one has a blu-ray player (a PS3 namely) but lacks a TV that can emulate blu-ray, is it still possible to legitimately watch this movie (obviously it won't be be blu-ray quality, but whatever)?

Sefie1999AD
06-28-2009, 04:28 PM
*SPOILERS!*

and last but DEFINITELY not least an extended MUCH more epic, and violent, battle with Sephiroth at the end.

I haven't seen the entire Blu-Ray version, but I've seen a few clips about the movie, and the extended music tracks. My opinion about the remade battle between Cloud and Sephiroth: it's enhanced, but not enough. The same could be said about every new addition I've seen so far, to be honest. The changes left me with pretty mixed feelings. Sure, enhancements are enhancements, but so far they've seemed so insignificant or poorly executed that it makes me think the remake just isn't worth it if you already have the DVD version. Let's take the Cloud vs. Sephiroth battle for an example (note: the following is just my opinion).

Sephiroth stabs Cloud and holds him in the air à la Nibelheim Reactor. A nice reference to their original encounter, even if the stab in the DVD version already seemed like a reference to the Nibelheim Reactor encounter. Sephiroth grows a dark angel wing, tosses Cloud to the air and slashes him big-time. This was quite brutal, and it would have been a good addition if it wasn't for the air slashing looking absolutely terrible. Cloud bleeds and collapses, that's fine and makes the scene darker. Then the music stops and Zack throws some sharp comments and gives Cloud a 55-second pep talk. While this does make the story deeper and there's a nice reference to Crisis Core, I think it horribly messes up the pacing since it interrupts the battle for such a long duration. Cloud's Omnislash is more brutal than in the DVD version, but there aren't any groundbreaking enhancements. Finally, I thought the English voices were quite dreadful: Zack's voice seemed quite high-pitched and Sephiroth's voice was bad as always (I think George Newburn made Lance Bass look like a pretty good VA). All in all, let's say I wasn't impressed at all.

I'll have to see the other new scenes before I can make my final opinion about the Blu-Ray version.

sephireland
07-23-2009, 11:38 PM
FINALLY this Blu Ray is being released in Ireland tomorrow and I'm picking mine up at 9am. I cannot fracking wait. I downloaded FFVII on the PSN and played it through for the first time in 12 years so it's all fresh in my mind. Gonna be EPIC :)

Dr.M
05-07-2010, 12:32 PM
i dont know how old this thread is so sorry if im opening up old wounds. i just finished watching complete for the first time and i loved it. it made so much more sense than the orignal and i was even creeped out by kadaj. i like the extentions on scenes and developing the characters to make them more human was fantastic. i loved watching how detailed it is. even the dust in the air is beautiful.

Hot Shot
05-07-2010, 01:09 PM
I thought the Complete version was much much better! Especially the last fight and the extra dialogue between Kadaj and Rufus.

sephyroth
06-02-2010, 08:42 PM
My fave bit is where Tseng and Elana get shot by Loz and Yazoo. Especialy Tseng, he got shot in the head! But then I thought the stupid turk deserved it along with the rest of the turks. (Apart from reno of coruse, he's the best. and from the looks of things he uses more hair gell than cloud!!! Or he gust never brushes his hair in the morning but he's still the coolest turk and you know it!)

P.S sorry for the spelling mistakes i'm not that good.

Mo-Nercy
06-03-2010, 01:26 AM
*Some SPOILERS*

I agree with everyone who's commented on the extra fight scenes and the extra dialogue with Kadaj and Rufus, but I think Denzel's little solo battle against the Shadow thingomabob is great too. I can't quite pick what the little twirl of the pole before he smashes the fire hydrant is supposed to be a reference too, if it is one. Maybe Meteorain.

Jaffer
08-02-2010, 08:11 PM
I have to say, I like 99% of the additions: The scene at the beginning with Rufus and Kadaj added something to Rufus' character, explanation of what Coud means by living legacy and why he left made his angst far less contrived, the scene with Cloud trying out the old Omnislash, getting pierced on Masamune and getting turned into swishcheese was intense. Then came the line "tell me what you cherish most, gie me the pleasure of taking it away." Which seemed like and idle throw in, because Sephiroth was obviously going for the coup de grace right after. Then Cloud goes through flashbacks of those he cherises... and arrives at Zack.

...Yeah, probably not what were supposed to think, but it is what happened. Coud does not think of the people he loves which inspires him, asking after who he cherises most prompts a visit from Zack, who tells him he's his living legacy and then Cloud, speaking on behalf of Zack says "There isn't a thing I don't cherish."

Then after the credits we get a scene of Cloud and Denzel visiting the grave of our Lord and Saviour Zack Fair, who died for our sins. ACC will aways be the movie that Zack stole away from under Cloud's nose for no apparant reason.