PDA

View Full Version : If Final Fantasy 8 was made by Bioware

The Fat Bioware Nerd
06-10-2009, 03:41 AM
We would've gotten a better story and the romantic subplot would've been a lot more open-ended.

Rostum
06-10-2009, 04:13 AM
Ok.

nik0tine
06-10-2009, 05:23 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v380/nik0tine/squareschiavo.gif

Sephex
06-10-2009, 10:41 PM
Cool, the dark ending would have been Squall blasting Linkin Park while Headmaster Cid made him mow Balamb Garden's lawn.

Zaskull
06-11-2009, 01:00 AM
Lol, nothing about this thread makes sense. BioWare makes Western RPGs and SE makes Eastern RPGs. With that said, wtf are you talking about? So if FFVI had been made by Bungie, Kefka would be replaced by the Prophet of Truth.

<_<

Namelessfengir
06-11-2009, 03:12 AM
bioware made kotor it could have been better, considering its been 5 years and there's still updates and expanded content being made for it

and zas is right this thread makes no sense its like asking if the fruit would be better if apple/orange trees swapped.

blackmage_nuke
06-11-2009, 07:37 AM
I disagree

LunarWeaver
06-11-2009, 08:00 AM
I agree with nuke.

NeoCracker
06-11-2009, 08:50 AM
The real question is what if M. Night Shamalon made this game.

If he did it would make perfect sense.

Marky Tee
06-11-2009, 10:59 AM
if i made it it would have sucked

Cyric
06-16-2009, 09:02 AM
We would've gotten a better story and the romantic subplot would've been a lot more open-ended.

If SquareSoft (at the time) had not decided to wuss-out, the original script of FF8 had it running 7 CDs in length. It could've been everything you were hoping for without plot holes.

I would post linkage, but I can't find the site I found that tidbit on.

Big D
06-16-2009, 09:54 AM
If King Lear had been written by Team Sonic instead of William Shakespeare, there would've been more blue hedgehogs and less Elizabethan English.

Shattered Dreamer
06-16-2009, 11:05 PM
This thread unsettles me. Bioware wouldn't be capable of making a game that stands the test of time like any of the Final Fantasy series. I haven't found any game of the current generation (PS3,Xbox 360,Wii) thats comes close to the genius of Final Fantasy VIII. There are some really great games to be sure but I can't say any of them will make me want to play them again 10 years after they were realised like FFVIII which I restarted 2 days ago. Really the subject matter of this thread makes very little sense:confused:

Zerokku
06-25-2009, 09:39 PM
This thread unsettles me. Bioware wouldn't be capable of making a game that stands the test of time like any of the Final Fantasy series.

Uh Baldur's Gate 2?

Not to mention, KotOR? Even Mass Effect is shaping up nicely to be a great WRPG series.

Skyblade
06-29-2009, 02:53 PM
Actually, as far as "timeless" classics go, Chrono Trigger has held it's reputation 5 years longer than Baldur's Gate II (CT released in 1995, BG 2 didn't come out until 2000).

Back on topic (seriously, this is not a discussion about BGII. Quit the pointless back and forth bickering), if FF8 had been made by BioWare, it wouldn't be FF8. Look at CT and BGII. Both great games, and both very different. If you like the WRPG style of BioWare's titles, like BGII and Mass Effect, fine, go play them. But that does not mean that every RPG in existance should be like one of those games. Final Fantasy games have their own strengths and focuses, and FF8 does as well.

Fynn
06-29-2009, 09:08 PM
This looks like a discussion my girlfriend and I could be having ;) You see, she was the one that loved cRPGs (mainly BG and its sequel), and I was the FF nerd. I asked her to play VII (she then played VIII and BoF4 and wants to play CT and IX) and in turn I played the BG series (along with Planescape: Torment, after which I started playing NwN and Icewind Dale). We both loved the games, but agreed that they are actually very different kinds of games. The great thing about western RPGs is that they are open-ended, non-linear and have tons of side-quests. Whereas jRPGs concentrate more around the atmosphere, the characters and their relations (Torment had superb characters, but it's still done in a different matter than in jRPGS). Considering this, FFVIII, like many have said before, would turn out to be a completely different game, were it done by BioWare. And I wouldn't want that. I wouldn't want Baldur's Gate to be made by SE, for that matter. The reason these games are great is because they are what they are, what, and by whom, they were made.

Rantz
06-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Deleted all the off-topic posts. The topic, as far as I can tell, is "What would Final Fantasy VIII be like if BioWare [or another company]?" Admittedly, I'm not entirely sure about that, but it's not about Baldur's Gate 2.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-06-2009, 01:23 AM
Actually, as far as "timeless" classics go, Chrono Trigger has held it's reputation 5 years longer than Baldur's Gate II (CT released in 1995, BG 2 didn't come out until 2000).

Back on topic (seriously, this is not a discussion about BGII. Quit the pointless back and forth bickering), if FF8 had been made by BioWare, it wouldn't be FF8. Look at CT and BGII. Both great games, and both very different. If you like the WRPG style of BioWare's titles, like BGII and Mass Effect, fine, go play them. But that does not mean that every RPG in existance should be like one of those games. Final Fantasy games have their own strengths and focuses, and FF8 does as well.

I'm just saying this game would be a hell of a lot better if you could actually choose who you're virtual girlfriend is gonna be because I don't like Rinoa and I don't like having Rinoa's love forced upon me!!!!:mad:

Vyk
07-06-2009, 01:59 AM
Its not being forced on you. Its being given to Squall. You're just witnessing it from his perspective. That's one of the major differences in the styles. Squall is a character. He's not your avatar like in WRPGs. You don't make him and he doesn't represent you. He's got his own thing going on and Square was trying to tell that story. Just like a movie or a book. JRPGs have constantly been accused of being merely interactive movies since cinematics have gotten ever-more prevalent... But yeah. Much to the ire of most of the posters in here, FF8 wasn't one of my favorites, and I've fallen out of love with linear JRPGs. So I probably could appreciate a FF being made by BioWare. But I don't think I'd ever say I'd want that to happen. I like most of the games BioWare makes already

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-06-2009, 02:07 AM
Its not being forced on you. Its being given to Squall. You're just witnessing it from his perspective. That's one of the major differences in the styles. Squall is a character. He's not your avatar like in WRPGs. You don't make him and he doesn't represent you. He's got his own thing going on and Square was trying to tell that story. Just like a movie or a book. JRPGs have constantly been accused of being merely interactive movies since cinematics have gotten ever-more prevalent... But yeah. Much to the ire of most of the posters in here, FF8 wasn't one of my favorites, and I've fallen out of love with linear JRPGs. So I probably could appreciate a FF being made by BioWare. But I don't think I'd ever say I'd want that to happen. I like most of the games BioWare makes already

I feel like I am Squall though because in reality I'm anti-social and I'm a loner.

Skyblade
07-06-2009, 03:08 AM
It would be "different", not necessarily "better". I liked Mass Effect (only BioWare game I've played, I think). It was a great game. But it was very different from an FF game. Which is "better"? It depends on what you look for in a game. As I said before, each had its stronger points, and each also has its weaknesses. There are some things ME did great that FF8 did terribly, but there are also things that FF8 did great that ME failed at. I can appreciate both games for their strengths, and I'm not even going to try to decide which is "better", since their are different enough that the question becomes meaningless to me. I'll play each of these games when I want to enjoy the parts of them that I loved.

Making every game into a carbon copy of Mass Effect, no matter how great that game was, would suck. Can't you just enjoy the parts of FF8 you like without demanding that the entire game be rewritten just because you don't like the story? It's not Mass Effect (or Baldur's Gate, or any of their other RPGs), and it will never be one of those RPGs. I am fairly sure I would not enjoy this game nearly as much as I do if it was an open ended game like Mass Effect.

Accept the game for what it is: a Final Fantasy game. If you can't, then go play Baldur's Gate and leave the rest of us alone.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-06-2009, 03:48 AM
Accept the game for what it is: a Final Fantasy game. If you can't, then go play Baldur's Gate and leave the rest of us alone.

I've played better Final Fantasy games VII and VI were a lot more fun.

trancekuja
07-06-2009, 04:32 AM
If my grandma had a :skull::skull::skull::skull: she would be my grandpa. What's done is done.

Leigh
07-18-2009, 12:13 AM
*Squall throws dice*
*Seifer smacks squall in the mouth*