PDA

View Full Version : Ghost in the Shell (1995)

sad.mind
06-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Who's a fan? I watched this last week and I was completely blown away by the whole thing. The atmosphere and everything, it was just a really great movie. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it and understand the story. It's something you definitely need to watch more than once.

musashius
06-10-2009, 08:37 PM
I've watched it a few times when I was younger and didn't really get it. Back then I was a little disappointed 'cos I was hoping for way more action, but the animation and setting is still pretty cool. I'm not sure what I'd think of it now, as I've kind of lost interest in anime altogether. I dunno, if I can find my DVD I'd probably give it another shot.

sad.mind
06-10-2009, 08:42 PM
It's a pretty hard story to understand, but I get the gist of it right now. I need to watch it a few more times and study it more and put things together, etc.

The Summoner of Leviathan
06-10-2009, 09:06 PM
I haven't watched it but it is on my list to watch. Sorta sucked when one of my profs and friend were talking about it in class and I couldn't comment. :( I just need to get into the mood for it though. :/

sad.mind
06-10-2009, 09:15 PM
I haven't watched it but it is on my list to watch. Sorta sucked when one of my profs and friend were talking about it in class and I couldn't comment. :( I just need to get into the mood for it though. :/
The only suggestion I can make is that you need to watch it at night with all the lights off.

Depression Moon
06-10-2009, 09:31 PM
I had watched it last week too on some channle. I thought it was okay, but I felt like I was being forced to watch it because of some stanadards of a friend of mine. A lot of the speech is emotionless especially from the major and there should be some constant background noise or music to make long conversations more watchable.

sad.mind
06-10-2009, 09:49 PM
I had watched it last week too on some channle. I thought it was okay, but I felt like I was being forced to watch it because of some stanadards of a friend of mine. A lot of the speech is emotionless especially from the major and there should be some constant background noise or music to make long conversations more watchable.
That was the only complaint I had, that the english dub could have been better. But sometimes it sort of fits in with the mood of the movie. It's certainly tolerable.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-10-2009, 09:51 PM
I remember loving the animation—you know, when people were actually moving and not just pontificating like typical Mamoru Oshii talking heads. I want to watch it again, just because I love that rarely-seen filmic standard of visual quality.

sad.mind
06-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Agreed, that was something I noticed right from the start. I think I really started to appreciate it once I saw the garbage-truck driver turning the wheel sharply to make a turn. It looked great.

Sephex
06-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Yeah, I enjoyed this back in the day. The anime series I have caught seemed pretty cool, too. I should probably make time to watch this again.

Wolf Kanno
06-10-2009, 10:46 PM
If I remember correctly, I though the movie was based on a later chapter in the manga. That's why its a bit confusing cause the manga was building up the story while the movie sorta drops you into it. I appreciate the real animation but I don't really like the character designs, the Chief and Batou (sp?) turned out fine but the Major looks like a china doll and is dramatically different from her original design. In fact many of the characters looked more like dolls and mannequins than real people. Its why the acting feels a bit weird in the film...:eep:

Still, the story is good and the atmosphere of the film is excellent. I liked the music and the animation is well done. Its not my favorite Ghost in the Shell story, I prefer the manga and the TV series a bit more but I feel the film is still good. I still haven't seen the second film that is suppose to be a sequel to the first film.

sad.mind
06-10-2009, 10:48 PM
I read that the "doll"-like appearances were intentional. After all, Major is pretty much really not human at all. I know the director intentionally made her not blink her eyes throughout the whole entire movie to give her a doll-like appearance.

Zeromus_X
06-10-2009, 11:16 PM
I believe I saw this after seeing some of the TV show, I thought it was pretty good. Ending really made me think; and of course the animation was great.

Moon Rabbits
06-11-2009, 04:39 AM
It was the first cartoon I ever saw boobies in!

I watched the original movie, but haven't played / viewed / read anything else from the series. I didn't really understand it (I was fairly young when I watched it), but I thought it was neat-o.

I never understood why the robot girls had to get completely naked to turn invisible, but that one guy just put on a coat . . .

edit: Wait, nevermind. Akira was the first cartoon I saw with boobs in it. And blood. And all around fuckedupness.

The art in GITS sort of reminds me of the Satoshi Kon movies. Which are also awesome. Especially Tokyo Godfathers.

Boney King
06-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Animation is great, everything else is whatever.

I used to really love the movie, but I tried watching it again a month ago and ended up switching it off halfway through because I was so bored.

Gullick
06-11-2009, 04:58 PM
I like it, but I agree, you really gotta be in the right mood to be able to sit through it all.

sad.mind
06-12-2009, 06:10 AM
I actually have a question about the movie.

There was a scene where Section 9 was watching this helicopter land, in a wooded area. And they watched this guy in a trench coat and longish white hair get out of the helicopter and walk towards a building. The character looks at the screen from the corner of his eyes, seemingly knowing that he was being watched. I can't figure out who this guy is though. Anyone know who he is?