PDA

View Full Version : How do you like the battle system?

KHHacker6595
06-10-2009, 09:44 PM
I been watching the gameplay footage of XIII and i realized that it is different from past games. I dont know if im going to like it let alown understand it. well i would really like to know your thoughts on it and if anyone can atually explain the new system to me, please.

Wolf Kanno
06-10-2009, 10:35 PM
To be honest, I feel the battle system is about the only thing I'm really looking forward to in XIII. Its a bit slower and less cinematic than I had imagined but we've only seen a small part of it and there are a few elements that have not been showed or explained.

If you ever played Xenogears, Legend of Legaia, Chrono Cross, or Xenosaga II; its similar to them by the fact that you have an ability point system and every action now consumes AP. You can mix and match attacks and abilities now based upon how much AP you have, hence you see the characters doing three hit combos that launch the enemy in the air and allows you spam them with magic as they fall to the ground. Effectively creating a juggling system. I just hope its more than just tossing the opponent in the air and spamming high level abilites over and over again.

Summons appear to work like they did in XII with a twist. Each character is allowed only one summon. The summon replaces the party except for the summoner and then the summon is treated like a party member similar to FFX.

No real mention on the Limit Break system, though my theory is that it will be a "bullet time" effect that effectively doubles your AP for a short amount of time and may or may not have a cinematic finisher. But that's just my theory and there is no real info to support this.

Zeromus_X
06-10-2009, 11:18 PM
It definitely looks fun, I like how we're getting some more action elements now, like in X-2. But I'd still need more info on it to make a real opinion.

Garnie
06-11-2009, 12:09 AM
With every new final Fantasy, were always going to be afraid of the new battle system. I say just put your faith into it, and you'll get used to it!

In all honesty, i liked the battle system in XII, the only thing i disliked was the boss fights! that should have been a separate battle screen i think!

Vermachtnis
06-11-2009, 01:20 AM
It looks fun to me. And I like the summoning.

KHHacker6595
06-11-2009, 08:14 PM
I dont know, the system seems a little too complicated for me, and im not stupid. I just hope eventually sqaure desides to bring back the classic feel. im also looking foward to FF versus XIII. That has a first person shooter aspect.

Jessweeee♪
06-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Makes me think of FFX-2. Faster! Zooooooooooooooooooom~

Cyric
06-12-2009, 04:47 AM
I'm actually not sure whether I'll like it or not because I haven't had a chance to experience it. However, judging from the ATB split into 3 sections, and the number 1-3 being beside each "action" that is available, I think they're making it more of a twitch-type of battle-system. Instead of choosing commands, you just choose what you want the character to do, which loads it into the 'queue' and the game takes care of the rest. I'm actually thinking it could be revolutionary. I don't think I've looked forward to a Final Fantasy game this much since FFX.

Bolivar
06-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Needs more cowbell.

the AJman
06-17-2009, 05:10 PM
I think the battle system looks fun, I'm excited about this game and seeing the battle system made me even more excited about it.

Wolfen
06-17-2009, 07:51 PM
The battle system reminds me of Knights of the Old Republic.

guffman
07-23-2009, 07:28 PM
this is what i'm talking about X2's battle system was pure awesome! just so long as we dont see some 12 crap, i might be flamed for this one but i could not stand the battle system of 12.

Tuhkasieni
07-24-2009, 11:31 PM
i hate it, sry, but i really miss the old final fantasy battle system, FF12 was still okay but now its just getting all messed up.. i thought the old battle system made final fantasy final fantasy, now its any other fighting game... boooh :(:)

Northcrest
07-25-2009, 04:11 AM
this is what i'm talking about X2's battle system was pure awesome! just so long as we dont see some 12 crap, i might be flamed for this one but i could not stand the battle system of 12.

I heard dat da battle system is suppose to be like twelve in da sense dat u can c da enemy before encounterin n attack or avoid depending on wat u do. da fightin on da other hand is suppose 2 b like X-2 and more fluent.

Skyblade
07-25-2009, 07:01 AM
I won't mind using X-2's battle system, as long as we're not stuck with that painful battle music.

guffman
07-26-2009, 04:06 AM
I won't mind using X-2's battle system, as long as we're not stuck with that painful battle music.
HA! true the music was kinda lame. but then again the game itself was sorta as well. but who am i to talk im playing through it again as we speak.

qwertysaur
07-26-2009, 11:58 AM
It looks to be quite dynamic and fun. And yes, I do think that X-2 has the best battle system arguably in the entire series.

guffman
07-28-2009, 11:41 PM
It looks to be quite dynamic and fun. And yes, I do think that X-2 has the best battle system arguably in the entire series.

as long as i'm not alone.

Bloodshot Materia
08-02-2009, 02:28 AM
X-2 had the best battle system in my books because it was still simple, however the elements in active urge you to use pain 'cuz her atb is up to attack the mob running towards yuna and halt it in her tracks, then you could use your sense of timing to create combos (a basic one was use trigger happy when a black mage is half-way done its spell, create a high combo with the guns and as soon as its done the magic will be cast reaping the final combo % modifier or somethin..)

XIII seems to give players the feel of being in control of when you engage the enemy instead of the random battles where monsters appear in a blur or broken glass. This way you can run through previous areas without wasting time, maybe even to chain monsters(probally not though).

Unfortunatly from what I've seen everthing is cool BESIDES this weird new GUNZ:the duel influenced battle perk where you send them in the air and juggle them. It MAY be cool with some more depth in variation of this ''technique'' like some of you said, but we shall see. I do like the jumble of elements from the other game in the series that we've seen so far however.

Blackmage
08-02-2009, 02:37 PM
I decided to be a consumer whore and get the Japanese version of FF7 Advent Children Complete on Blu-Ray, complete with the FF13 demo.

While it was rather simplistic in the demo (and kinda hard to understand, with the Japanese and all), the battle system was quite enjoyable. It has a more fluid feel to it, and being able to queue stuff up ahead of time makes the ATB concept AWESOME. Being able to break defenses, get combos for more damage, strategic use of magic, and whatnot all make for a new and interesting system. I probably need to bust it out again, 'cause it's been awhile since I last messed with the demo.

Trust me, the combat will be great; let's just hope it doesn't end up being the best part about the game (besides the guy with the chocobo in his afro).

Belugn
08-08-2009, 03:11 PM
I've totally missed out that it's even been a japanese demo release, how that now is possible. And I agree about hoping that the battle system won't be the only new and exciting thing about the game. But with a fun game play and hopefully great characters, it can probably lift up whatever story there will be.
Fun that someone's actually tried it and found it good! I'm looking forward to it's release now more than ever these past years.