PDA

View Full Version : C++ compiler for Windows

Rantz
06-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Not that there's a lack of choices, I'd just like to hear what you guys consider to be the best choice. I'm fine with either full IDEs or just simple compilers/builders to team with Notepad++ or whatever.

blackmage_nuke
06-11-2009, 10:42 AM
I personally like Visual C++ but i havent done anything too extravagant with c++ besides some really basic directx so im not really an expert.

Flying Mullet
06-11-2009, 11:12 AM
I haven't used much since Borland during my college days during the late 90s, so I'm afraid I don't have much help to offer. I can tell you that for a DOS based compiler, Borland was the :bou::bou::bou::bou:. :p

NeoTifa
06-12-2009, 01:37 AM
I haven't used C++ in a while but I used Visual C++

o_O
06-12-2009, 02:19 AM
Almost all of my C++ development has been on Linux, so the gcc (g++) compiler has been my favourite in conjunction with the Anjuta IDE.

On Windows though, I learnt in Visual C++, which I pretty much hated 'cause I don't like Microsoft's programming ideals (type a little bit, drag some window controls here and there, click 35 times then type a little more) so I switched to Dev C++. It's old but it's more the style of IDE that I'm used to, where typing everything out is the norm moreso than VC++. And it comes bundled with the mingw compiler, which is just dandy.

Shoeberto
06-12-2009, 03:15 AM
Eclipse (http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/) is where it's at, dawg. I used to shun doing Eclipse because it's built on Java, but it's a damn fine application. Dev-C++ is so freaking antiquated and buggy these days, just don't bother. And MS Visual C++, the last I used it, doesn't adhere to the ANSI C++ standards, which means learning Microsoft C++, not C++ that everything else ever uses.

Get Eclipse for C++ developers. It's seriously a darn fine IDE and that package has, I believe, MiniGW packaged with it, which is just a Windows build of common Unix build tools (including GCC). At work right now I'm doing a project where I have to do a SQL database, Java server backend and a Flex client app and I can manage all three of them from the same window in Eclipse without any difficulty. It's gr8.

Rantz
06-12-2009, 11:41 AM
I'll try Eclipse. I've only used MS Visual C++ up until now, it's kind of bulky and if it doesn't adhere to the standards then I'm all the more eager to find something better.

Flying Mullet
06-12-2009, 01:35 PM
I love Eclipse based IDE's, but then again, I'm a Java developer. :p

NeoTifa
06-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Netbeans does C++ <3 And I do love my Netbeans. And omg Mulley is a man of my heart!!!

for(int i = 0; i < 100; i++) {system.out.println("I <3 Mulleykins!!!!");}

Flying Mullet
06-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Netbeans does C++ <3 And I do love my Netbeans. And omg Mulley is a man of my heart!!!

for(int i = 0; i < 100; i++) {system.out.println("I <3 Mulleykins!!!!");}

String[] praiseArray = {"NeoTifa Rules!\n", "NeoTifa Rules!\n", "NeoTifa Rules!\n", "NeoTifa Rules!\n", "NeoTifa Rules!\n", "NeoTifa Rules!\n", "NeoTifa Rules!\n", "NeoTifa Rules!\n", "NeoTifa Rules!\n"}

for(String praise: praiseArray)
System.out.println(praise);

Rantz
06-12-2009, 11:16 PM
cout << "oh man, don't let it turn into one of those threads!" << endl << ":(";

Flying Mullet
06-12-2009, 11:19 PM
<input type="button" value="Too Late" onclick="alert('It\'s already one of those threads. :-p');" />

blackmage_nuke
06-13-2009, 12:11 AM
int goodbyegentlemen = 0;
cout << 1/goodbyegentlemen;

o_O
06-13-2009, 12:42 AM
["Lol, I have nothing to contribute.", "So here's a quine in ruby.", "s=\"putc 115;putc 61;p s;puts s\"\nputc 115;putc 61;p s;puts s"].each{ |thing| puts thing }

Shoeberto
06-13-2009, 03:34 AM
private var myButton:Button;
private var myButtonConfig:ButtonConfig;

private function initButton():void {

... oh, forget it. The punch line is "I fucked your mother."

Rantz
06-14-2009, 12:26 AM
I love me some Hsu in the evening.