PDA

View Full Version : Books you are currently reading

Rebellious Eagle
06-11-2009, 09:25 PM
I'm currently reading The World According to Garp by John Irving. Don't know how it got onto a summer reading list for LA I Honors...
What about you? Are you reading anything good right now?

scrumpleberry
06-11-2009, 09:40 PM
No, I'm about to start reading ~If you could see me now~ by Cecilia Ahern (No1 bestselling author of PS I Love You!)

Hey I got it free with Marie Claire okay, it's worth £7.99! :p

kikimm
06-11-2009, 09:48 PM
I am in the middle of rereading all of the Harry Potter books...xD I have no idea why, I've just suddenly become obsessed with them again. Oh well, what can I do?

I am also finishing up Wally Lamb's The Hour I First Believed, and am starting L'etranger by Camus. =)

Rocket Edge
06-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Dying to Survive by Rachel Keogh. It's about a recovering heroin addict, and it shows her when she was at the height of her addiction to her now leading a new life. Interesting read.

Boney King
06-11-2009, 09:58 PM
In the middle of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Need some motivation to actually finish it.

rubah
06-11-2009, 10:24 PM
I started the sixth harry potter some time ago and haven't finished it. I'm also reading Silent Spring and Lord Foul's Bane.

Aerith's Knight
06-11-2009, 10:44 PM
The Principles of Thermal-Fluid Sciences,
Quantum Mechanics,
Basic Histology,
Human Anatomy and Physiology
And Digital Signal Processing.

That is all. (Picard voice)

LunarWeaver
06-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Nothing at the moment, but I'm thinking of snatching up the Dexter books, the ones the Showtime series is based off of. I want to see differences and such.

themagicroundabout
06-11-2009, 11:05 PM
Just started Doctor Sax, by Kerouac. And I've been meaning to get through Tarantula by Bob Dylan, so I'll probably read that after.

Breine
06-11-2009, 11:06 PM
"Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides. It's really good. Like really really. I'm not even done with it yet, and it's already one of my favourites.

After that I'm gonna read either "Sophie's World" by Jostein Gaarder or "The Virgin Suicides" also by Eugenides.

Also, I have many books written down on a list I have to read/buy.

Rantz
06-11-2009, 11:25 PM
"Sophie's World" by Jostein Gaarder

That's a fantastic book.

I'm kind of in a reading drought, but I'm still in the middle of "Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow" by Peter Høeg and a couple of Swedish books I'm not gonna bother naming. Also looking around in Oliver Sacks: "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat".

Oh, and "C++ How to Program", and "Programming in Ruby" :monster:

Breine
06-11-2009, 11:37 PM

That's a fantastic book.

I saw the made-for-TV-movie based on the book, but that was years ago, so I don't really remember much about details from the story and such. The movie was probably just mediocre anyway.
I've only heard fantastic things about the book itself, plus I'm interested in philosophy (and took it in High School) so I can't wait to read it.

scrumpleberry
06-11-2009, 11:53 PM
I was forced to read Sophie's World when I was 11 and I thought it was absolutely :bou::bou::bou::bou:. From what I remember, the concepts and ideas were okay but not incredibly immersive and gripping or well executed, and I really felt the writing was awfully dull.

But maybe I just suffered from forced school over-analysis syndrome. Ruined Jane Eyre and by extension every Victorian woman's novel ever for me as well.

Rye
06-12-2009, 12:14 AM
I'm reading The Trial by Franz Kafka. I really enjoy it, though I liked The Metamorphosis much more. Then again, I'm not very far into it yet. I don't have much time to read because I work so much. I listen to audiobooks every day at work to make the time go buy, but my rule is that they can only be books I've already read, or essays that I haven't read, because I feel like listening to the audiobook of a novel you haven't read is crass and in bad taste.

As a result, I'm currently listened to Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami, which was a freaking bizarre story, but pretty enjoyable, so I'm enjoying listening to it after having read it. Though not Murakami's best, like people insist.

I'm also listening to Blind Willow, Sleeping Women by Haruki Murakami. I quite like it.

I went through most of David Sedaris' books as well.

scrumpleberry
06-12-2009, 12:24 AM
My rule is that they can only be books I've already read, or essays that I haven't read, because I feel like listening to the audiobook of a novel you haven't read is crass and in bad taste.

This. Also, the voice shouldn't affect the first way you see a text, no matter how fabulous the actor is.

Mogi
06-12-2009, 12:41 AM
The Hobbit
:D

Rye
06-12-2009, 01:14 AM
My rule is that they can only be books I've already read, or essays that I haven't read, because I feel like listening to the audiobook of a novel you haven't read is crass and in bad taste.

This. Also, the voice shouldn't affect the first way you see a text, no matter how fabulous the actor is.

Definitely. Most voice actors aren't very good in the audio books I've listened to, but Jeremy Irons reading Lolita was honestly a religious experience, and only enhanced my very favorite book of all time. It helps that Jeremy Irons played Humbert Humbert in the movie, and looks and sounds exactly as I pictured HH when I first read the book.

Parker
06-12-2009, 01:31 AM
I'm reading Lolita right now. Beautiful writing though I'm still a little uncomfortable reading it on the bus. I didn't know about the movie and now I definately need to hear Jeremy Irons reading it...but I keep imagining Scar from the Lion King reading it which is a little disturbing.

Zerokku
06-12-2009, 01:31 AM
Heretics of Dune

Frank herbert is amazing. Too bad his grandson ruined the series.

Heath
06-12-2009, 10:00 PM
The Artist of the Floating World by Kazuo Ishiguro. My fourth novel by him (after The Remains of the Day, Never Let Me Go and When We Were Orphans). Not read a great deal at the moment because university reading lists are awful things that often suck me dry of the want to read, but oh well!

Yar
06-12-2009, 10:04 PM
http://www.comicbookgalaxy.com/blog/uploaded_images/meoflittlefaith-758860.jpg

I'm "reading" this in the lightest sense one can mean that they're "reading" something. I bought this book last September and I have read one chapter, a few days ago. :p

I Took the Red Pill
06-12-2009, 10:12 PM
I just finished Alice's Adventures in Wonderland in one day because I was at work and was doing nothing and I honestly didn't care for it at all, despite the numerous recommendations I'd received for it. I just bought Don Quixote and The Collected Oscar Wilde, but I think I want to read Madame Bovary next.

scrumpleberry
06-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Anyone who doesn't like Alice and Through the Looking Glass is a terrible person >|

Breine
06-12-2009, 10:33 PM
I really want to read "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through The Looking Glass" at one point.

theundeadhero
06-12-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm about to start reading book 9 of The Wheel of Time.

Depression Moon
06-12-2009, 10:38 PM
I'm not reading anything at the moment and it's sort of bothering me. I've been trying to find books based on mind control, but I couldn't find any except for Brave New World, which I didn't understand a word of. I guess I'll go back and read an old HP or something.

Namelessfengir
06-12-2009, 11:10 PM
right now im reading "the years of rice and salt" by kim stanley robinson. its an alt history story where the black plauge killed everyone in europe, and islam and buddism become the major powers in the world telling of the similarities and differences ending in the year 2002

its really esoteric.

after that one of the ender books by orson scott card unless the next star trek comes out early (not due till the 30th)

Bunny
06-13-2009, 12:09 AM
Anyone who doesn't like Alice and Through the Looking Glass is a terrible person >|

Yeah, I love pedophiles too.

I'm not currently reading anything but I my next read is going to be Before They Are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie, followed by the third in the series Last Argument of Kings. Abercrombie is a pretty impressive first time writer.

I'll also be picking up Scott Lynch's The Republic of Thieves when that comes out sometime next month (hopefully). He's another good first time fantasy author.

I just bought Don Quixote and The Collected Oscar Wilde, but I think I want to read Madame Bovary next.

Oscar Wilde's work is almost all amazing and that is a very good collection.

scrumpleberry
06-13-2009, 12:22 AM
I'm not saying I'm a rabid Lewis Carroll fan, and I'm totally undecided on that matter, but I still think the books are wonderful.

Bunny
06-13-2009, 12:23 AM
I'm just saying Alice in Wonderland was a gift to his 12-year-old girlfriend.

Medi
06-13-2009, 03:25 AM
I'm currently rereading Contact, by Carl Sagan, which is my favorite book ever.

After that, I have three books to read and analyze over the next couple months as part of my summer homework for my AP English class next school year.

They are:
A Separate Peace by John Knowles
Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
The Secret History by Donna Tartt

Everyone who's in that class with me is whining about actually having to do something over the summer; I guess they wanted easy classes for their senior year. I personally love analyzing literature. :D

Cyric
06-13-2009, 04:26 AM
Think And Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
Leadership Gold by John C. Maxwell

Quindiana Jones
06-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Dead Beat by Jim Butcher. It's the seventh book in a series I'm re-reading for the 8 millionth time.

charliepanayi
06-13-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm not currently reading anything but I my next read is going to be Before They Are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie, followed by the third in the series Last Argument of Kings. Abercrombie is a pretty impressive first time writer.

I'll also be picking up Scott Lynch's The Republic of Thieves when that comes out sometime next month (hopefully). He's another good first time fantasy author.

Hooray! The place I work for publishes those two authors (be sure to read Joe Abercrombie's new fourth book at some point :D), but I don't think the next Scott Lynch book is due out until spring 2010 at the earliest, even though Amazon.com says otherwise. I may be wrong though.

I'm reading Lavinia by Ursula LeGuin at the moment, an interesting take on one of the minor characters in Virgil's Aeneid.

blackmage_nuke
06-13-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm constantly flicking to random pages in the Harry Potter books and its eating away a lot of my time.

Namelessfengir
06-13-2009, 02:00 PM

is that the future conspiracy novel? set in 2050?

Dead Beat by Jim Butcher. It's the seventh book in a series I'm re-reading for the 8 millionth time.

turn coat wasn't very satisfying so ill need to burn through the series again

~ Kain ~
06-13-2009, 04:37 PM
100 pages into the stand.... It's a long one but i hear the last 300 pages fly by..... i sure hope so.

Bunny
06-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Hooray! The place I work for publishes those two authors (be sure to read Joe Abercrombie's new fourth book at some point ), but I don't think the next Scott Lynch book is due out until spring 2010 at the earliest, even though Amazon.com says otherwise. I may be wrong though.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised. I've heard several things pointing at a Spring 2010 release but the most recent I heard was sometime this year. It is a little hard to find information though, since the author doesn't update his LJ feed or his website.

Quindiana Jones
06-13-2009, 06:33 PM

turn coat wasn't very satisfying so ill need to burn through the series again

Turn coat?

I'm now reading the eighth Dresden, Proven Guilty.

Madame Adequate
06-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Currently, Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

Leeza
06-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Anathem by Neal Stephenson. It's like learning a new language, but Stephenson makes you want to learn it. Excellent read so far.

Medi
06-15-2009, 06:48 AM

is that the future conspiracy novel? set in 2050?

Oh, no. Well, it's set in 1999, which was the future when it was written in the 1980s. It deals with an alien message received by radio telescopes and the philosophical repercussions in society. It's brilliant - scientific and poetic at the same time.

Kossage
06-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Currently reading Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown. It's a heartbreaking book with a heavy air of tragedy around it as it details the futile struggle of the Native Americans against the US. Highly recommended.

fire_of_avalon
06-15-2009, 10:14 PM
Currently reading Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown. It's a heartbreaking book with a heavy air of tragedy around it as it details the futile struggle of the Native Americans against the US. Highly recommended.
I have been looking for that book forever and ever. Our libraries don't have it.

I'm currently reading:

Amazon.com: Unwanted Sex: The Culture of Intimidation and the Failure of Law: Prof. Stephen J. Schulhofer: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Unwanted-Sex-Culture-Intimidation-Failure/dp/0674002032) and

Amazon.com: Prodigal Summer: A Novel: Barbara Kingsolver: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Prodigal-Summer-Novel-Barbara-Kingsolver/dp/0060959037/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245100363&sr=1-1) and Amazon.com: Sons and Lovers (Penguin Popular Classics): D.H. Lawrence: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Sons-Lovers-Penguin-Popular-Classics/dp/0140621601/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245100393&sr=1-4)

G13
06-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Demonwar Saga by Raymond E Feist. Good books. Nothing like what you guys are reading though.

Ryth
06-17-2009, 05:30 AM
The Iliad by Homer. Next up is Lolita.

The Summoner of Leviathan
06-17-2009, 06:12 AM

That's a fantastic book.

I felt that way the first time I read it in High School. I had started reading it again a few months ago but then stopped because I got distracted by other things. I a lot more critical of it now than I was before. It is good, but part of me feels that it makes the history of philosophy seems so linear and progressive rather than dynamic and full of interactions. Then again, I did not finish rereading it.

Reading the fourth instalment in The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, Temple of the Winds. I blame this all on "Legend of the Seeker." :mad2:

Breine
06-17-2009, 08:13 AM

That's a fantastic book.

I felt that way the first time I read it in High School. I had started reading it again a few months ago but then stopped because I got distracted by other things. I a lot more critical of it now than I was before. It is good, but part of me feels that it makes the history of philosophy seems so linear and progressive rather than dynamic and full of interactions. Then again, I did not finish rereading it.

Reading the fourth instalment in The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, Temple of the Winds. I blame this all on "Legend of the Seeker." :mad2:

I'd blame it on the guy playing Richard :P

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to reading Sophie's World.

06-17-2009, 08:20 AM

That's a fantastic book.

I'd blame it on the guy playing Richard :P

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to reading Sophie's World.
Hmmm? What did you say? I was too busy looking at his abs...

Rantz
06-17-2009, 03:17 PM

That's a fantastic book.

It should be said that it's been quite a few years since I read it. That's one thing that sucks about growing older, feeling the need to analyse everything to death xD As a kid, it was much easier to just sit back and enjoy a good story.

drotato
06-17-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm currently reading a crap-load of Nicholas Sparks books. At least, all the ones I've yet to read. o.O

Jiro
06-17-2009, 04:08 PM
At the moment I'm reading the Night Angel trilogy and the Odd Thomas series. I guess. They're more on my "read-once-holidays-are-here" list.

DiNozzo
06-18-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm about to start Slaughter House-Five by Kurt Vonnegut. Should be a quick read.

Slothy
06-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Reading Born to Run by Christopher McDougall right now. Absolutely amazing book that can't help but make anyone want to love running.

Meat Puppet
06-22-2009, 03:14 PM
At random, I picked up a book off my sister’s bookshelf called “The Shrine of Jeffrey Dahmer” by Brian Masters, and read it—oblivious to what it was about beforehand. I... Wow. :|

Boney King
06-22-2009, 11:30 PM
At random, I picked up a book off my sister’s bookshelf called “The Shrine of Jeffrey Dahmer” by Brian Masters, and read it—oblivious to what it was about beforehand. I... Wow. :|
My sister is obsessed with Jeffrey Dahmer and has several books about him, including the one you read.

Parker
06-23-2009, 12:41 AM
I'm about to start Slaughter House-Five by Kurt Vonnegut. Should be a quick read.

Great book. I'm a Vonnegut fan. I think most of his books are great quick-reads.

06-23-2009, 04:58 AM

That's a fantastic book.

It should be said that it's been quite a few years since I read it. That's one thing that sucks about growing older, feeling the need to analyse everything to death xD As a kid, it was much easier to just sit back and enjoy a good story.

Seriously, sometimes university sucks the joys out of things. T_T

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-23-2009, 05:57 AM
starting L'etranger by Camus. =)

Such a good book, easily one of my favorites.

As for what I'm reading now, I'm going to the library tommorow to get Beyond Good and Evil, and Genealogy of Morality by Nietzsche.

Heath
06-23-2009, 10:11 AM
I missed it initially, but I agree with Lone Wolf Leonhart about the Camus. It's one of my favourites too. I've only read an English translation though.

At the moment I'm considering either starting From Russia With Love or Bill Bryson's A Short History Of Nearly Everything.

wild-one
07-02-2009, 03:02 AM
i am reading the hobbit and black beauty
great reading:greenie:
i have actually read 3 of the percy jackson series:)

Rye
07-02-2009, 03:18 AM
starting L'etranger by Camus. =)

Such a good book, easily one of my favorites.

As for what I'm reading now, I'm going to the library tommorow to get Beyond Good and Evil, and Genealogy of Morality by Nietzsche.

Genealogy of Morality is fantastic, highly recommend everyone with an interest in philosophy to pick it up. Nietzsche is an interesting one.

I didn't get to appreciate The Stranger that much, reading it in High School, but I do rather like it now.

Putting The Trial on temporary hold.

My new list:

Reading Lolita in Tehran - Azar Nafisi
An Invitation to a Beheading - Vladimir Nabokov

Gonna start The Time Traveler's Wife once I have time.

Madame Adequate
07-02-2009, 03:30 AM
When it arrives, which should be tomorrow or Friday, I will be reading The Ethics of Liberty by Murray Rothbard.

I Took the Red Pill
07-02-2009, 07:52 AM
Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs and Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre.

fire_of_avalon
07-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Yesterday I bought and read "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein and all of you should go read it right now.

redxiiii
07-06-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm currently reading The Hollow Choclate Bunnies Of The Apocalypse by Robert Rankin...great fun:D

Rebellious Eagle
07-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Now I'm reading Mythology by Edith Hamilton. I hate summer reading; the books are awful!

Depression Moon
07-06-2009, 08:55 PM
HUH? tHEY'RE THE SAME BOOKS YEAR ROUND.

oops caps lock. Can someone please reccommend me a book that deals with mind control is just plain out bizarre without being too difficult to read?

Rye
07-07-2009, 12:17 AM
Yesterday I bought and read "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein and all of you should go read it right now.

I really liked that book. It drags on a little at spots, but overall, I liked it and the ending.

qwertysaur
07-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Now I'm reading Mythology by Edith Hamilton. I hate summer reading; the books are awful!
Summer reading for Junior year of high school rocked. We got to pick any 5 books as long as a teacher approved of them, and I got to read Robert Jordan :D

I'm reading the Earthsea series by Le'Guin right now. fantasy stories are my weak spot, they catch me and I can't stop :p

eestlinc
07-08-2009, 07:54 AM
I have been intermittently reading <i>Against the Day</i> by Thomas Pynchon. I am about 800 pages into it out of around 1100 pages. Hopefully I will finish it some time this summer, but probably not until after the bar exam.

If you like <Slaughterhouse-Five</i> then you should read <i>The Sirens of Titan</i>, which is my favorite of Vonnegut's novels.

Carl the Llama
07-09-2009, 02:06 AM
I am currently reading Talon of the Silver Hawk but im going to stop readying that tomorrow as I intend to buy Rides a Dread Legion both by Raymond E Feist who imo is one of the best fantasy writers of all time.

Tama2
07-09-2009, 02:11 AM
Just finished The Art of War and I'm starting The Prince right now.

Nice
07-12-2009, 09:33 PM
The Great Gatsby

drotato
07-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Gonna start The Time Traveler's Wife once I have time.

Ohh, me too. I'm looking for it, currently. (:

rubah
07-12-2009, 09:49 PM

I actually just picked that book up to read on my spare time xD

I recently started Redwall and His Dark Materials. childhood revisit GO

krissy
07-12-2009, 10:57 PM
wolves of the calla

Heath
07-13-2009, 12:27 AM
I've just finished Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell which was every bit as interesting - though not quite as good as - The Tipping Point.

After that, I've decided to go for some more non-fiction and yesterday I started John Kenneth Galbraith's The Great Crash 1929. I don't know the Wall St Crash in as much depth as I would like, I really know far too little about economics and I hope this book will remedy those two things.

Dolentrean
07-13-2009, 04:27 AM
The Godfather. Fantastic.

Cuchulainn
07-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy. Great great book.

The Last Oath
07-13-2009, 05:44 PM
I finished "Shadow Warrior", by David Everett.

Emmy
07-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Currently: Kinky Fiedman - Armadillo and the old lace. :)

squiike
07-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs and Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre.

Oh my! Are you still sane?
I thought the movie were the weirdest thing ever, and i've heard the book is even worse :p

I'm currently reading "Rouge Clone". Its the second in the series, and i loved the first. After that i'm going for another Philip K Dick Novel.

My best reads are "Hero!" & "The gilded chain" by Dave Duncan. And "Old Man's War"

rubah
07-13-2009, 06:58 PM
The Godfather. Fantastic.

Make sure you read Mario Puzo's other books while you're at it! I really liked Fool's Die, for some reason xD My dad said it was just a soft core porno, but idk

Rye
07-13-2009, 07:00 PM
I need some bubble gum reading, so I order 1-7 of the Sookie Stackhouse books that True Blood is based on for only $30 dollars on Amazon. Woo-hoo! :bigsmile:

Quindiana Jones
07-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Asimov is a freaking genius.

I'm re-reading Tiger! Tiger! by Alfred Bester for about the billionth time. Possibly one of the best sci-fi books in existence.

I also jump into The Art of War by Sun Tzu every now and then. Although it's basically a military manual, I think the philosophy behind a lot of the extracts is just useful for dealing with people, and it makes for a very thought-provoking read. As well as this, I also read some of the shorts from Wisdom of the Idiots by Idries Shah.

Meat Puppet
07-15-2009, 03:56 PM
I’m currently reading Homer’s Odyssey, but since I’ve read it once before, I’m putting a twist on things by reading it in reverse (page at a time not by word, that would be too confusing). I’m using Dr. Seuss’s Sleep Book to refresh my mind and keep me going every however many pages or so (it’s kind of like morphine).

Heath
07-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Moved on from The Great Crash and have moved on to re-reading Catch-22 which is every bit as wonderful as I remember it being. Only about a hundred pages in at the minute, about to start the chapter Major Major Major Major :D

Polaris
07-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Currently reading "Death with Interruptions" by José Saramago :)

Rebellious Eagle
07-16-2009, 04:43 PM
I’m currently reading Homer’s Odyssey, but since I’ve read it once before, I’m putting a twist on things by reading it in reverse (page at a time not by word, that would be too confusing). I’m using Dr. Seuss’s Sleep Book to refresh my mind and keep me going every however many pages or so (it’s kind of like morphine).
Why didn't I try that when I was the overly ambitious 12-year-old, looking to impress her teachers? >_> God, I hated reading that book. The awkward sentences were hard for me to slog through. It took me about 6 weeks to read that monstrosity, I think.
I am now reading The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver. Finally, last summer reading book!

themagicroundabout
07-25-2009, 01:18 AM
Reading Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich which is brilliant; an incredibly lucky thing to stumble upon in a charity bookshop, having no previous knowledge of the author, etc. etc.

Pretty much finished, though, so I'll start The Road to Wigan Pier, by Orwell, tomorrow.

Leeza
07-25-2009, 01:20 AM
Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer. Love it. :love:

Boney King
07-25-2009, 01:38 AM
Recently finished Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, which was fantastic. Now trying to finish The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz by the end of the weekend for summer school.

scrumpleberry
07-25-2009, 02:05 AM

Leeza! I never would have imagined you were capable of such a thing!

Leeza
07-25-2009, 02:15 AM
I love vampires. Always have. Now I also love werewolves. :)

Raistlin
07-25-2009, 02:22 AM
Leeza, I am ashamed of you.

I'm reading Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. Not as good as Anathem (which was amazing), and godawful boring at parts, but still entertaining.

Leeza
07-25-2009, 02:26 AM
I agree about Snow Crash, Raist. Way too much not-need-to-know history. But still good. :)

Oh, and blow it out your ear. :)

Bunny
07-25-2009, 02:33 AM
I'm told that those aren't werewolves but shapeshifters who have assumed the shape of a wolf.

Leeza
07-25-2009, 02:35 AM
You were told wrong, Bunny.

Madame Adequate
07-25-2009, 02:42 AM
Operation Sea Lion by Peter Fleming. Fascinating look at what Hitler had planned and how the Brits prepared against it.

Bunny
07-25-2009, 02:46 AM
You were told wrong, Bunny.

Nope, unfortunately I wasn't.

Leeza
07-25-2009, 02:54 AM
Damn you! Thanks for the spoiler! :)

Shauna
07-25-2009, 09:27 PM
At the moment I'm reading Death du Jour by Kathy Reichs. It's pretty awesome. Can't go wrong with forensic anthropologist, Temperance Brennan! I should read more of these books. :D

qwertysaur
07-25-2009, 10:36 PM
Right now I'm reading The Elegant Universe :D

*Devore*
07-25-2009, 11:32 PM
Just Finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows for the second time, this morning, and now im reading a Learn Japanese book.

Madame Adequate
07-26-2009, 12:35 AM

By Brian Greene? I've thought about checking it out occasionally, is it good?

I Took the Red Pill
07-26-2009, 07:53 AM
I'm trying to read Kant's Critique of Pure Reason, but it's tough going. I really want to finish it though.

Quindiana Jones
07-26-2009, 03:20 PM

Stephenie Meyer can make a happy ending out of anything.

guffman
07-28-2009, 03:36 AM
i just finished a pretty decent novel, the vampire's violin. a little dry at times but over all enjoyable.

07-30-2009, 12:44 AM
The Gift of Death by Jacques Derrida.

Hambone
07-30-2009, 01:55 AM
I'm finishing up The Deathly Hallows and then I have to start The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison for a summer English project.

Polaris
07-30-2009, 10:46 AM
I had to make an essay on "Song of Solomon" for an exam! Toni Morrison is really amazing I read it really quickly!

I began last night "A farewell to arms" I already read "Fiesta: the sun also rises" for university and now I felt like reading some more Hemingway! :)

Shauna
07-30-2009, 12:30 PM
I just finished my Kathy Reichs book, so I'm now going to read all the Harry Potter books, because I've had the insatiable urge to read all of them. *_*

Boney King
07-30-2009, 11:27 PM
Just starting Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami, and I'm really liking it. It's hypnotic and I find I can't put it down, which I haven't really felt since Trainspotting.

Zeldy
08-09-2009, 06:30 PM
I finished Before I Die by Jenny Downham last night and now I've started Oranges are not the only fruit by Jeanette Winterson which is arguably the most boring book ever. I don't have a choice about reading it or not, I have to read it before I go back to college.

rubah
08-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Just finished the Island of Dr. Moreau (read on my itouch :D) and started Dracula. I read D when I was in fifth grade and didn't like it. It's a lot better now though.

Rye
08-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Just starting Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami, and I'm really liking it. It's hypnotic and I find I can't put it down, which I haven't really felt since Trainspotting.

I've been meaning to read Trainspotting!

Reading Farewell to Arms by Hemingway.

theundeadhero
08-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Twilight :shifty:

Leeza
08-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Oh, hero! :love:

theundeadhero
08-09-2009, 08:01 PM
I read the first three chapters and then had to force myself to put it down so I could go tell the Neskayans about it.

Leeza
08-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Well pick it right back up again and keep reading. :)

Boney King
08-09-2009, 08:26 PM

I've been meaning to read Trainspotting!

Reading Farewell to Arms by Hemingway.
It's the best book ever, read it as soon as you can.

The Jamie Star Scenario
08-09-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm making my way through the The Keys to the Kingdom series by Garth Nix. I am enjoying it so much, I really like Garth Nix's books. Just finished Lady Friday and now I need to go buy Superior Saturday.

Rye
08-09-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm making my way through the The Keys to the Kingdom series by Garth Nix. I am enjoying it so much, I really like Garth Nix's books. Just finished Lady Friday and now I need to go buy Superior Saturday.

Wow! I've not read these in YEARS! I only made it up to Wednesday. I really liked it though.

Raistlin
08-09-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm not reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson which is approximately 87,563 pages. The first part was absolutely brilliant and immediately kept me engaged, but now it's kind of slowed down a bit. Stephenson's humor is brilliant, though, so I'll definitely keep reading.

Heath
08-10-2009, 11:17 AM
I recently re-read Half Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows because I was gripped by the desire to reread them. Though they only took about three days between them. I am now reading Bill Bryon's A Short History of Nearly Everything, and I am once more in love with the Iowan.

Rodarian
08-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Guy Gaverial Kay

Tigana

The Jamie Star Scenario
08-10-2009, 05:03 PM

Wow! I've not read these in YEARS! I only made it up to Wednesday. I really liked it though. Maybe you just hit the wall of his writing speed :P It's been one book a year since 2003 (so that'd be 2005 when Wednesday was out) and now he's taking 2 years for the last book Lord Sunday (2010 hopefully).

Raistlin
08-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Guy Gaverial Kay

Tigana

I just read that; it was our monthly bookclub book recently at GHF. I know Bleys really liked it, but I thought it was fairly mediocre.

The Jamie Star Scenario
08-10-2009, 05:09 PM
I though Sailing to Sarantium by Guy Gavriel Kay was fantastic. I've yet to get round to reading the second book though. I actually cannot decide what book I'm going to read... one option isn't actually a book but a play, The Importance of Being Earnest. I've never read any of Oscar Wilde's work and I feel like this is a good place to start.

Polaris
08-10-2009, 05:53 PM
I just started Wuthering Heights (Emily Brontë) :)

The importance of being Ernest is really cool I laughed a lot, the filme is nice:) Oscar Wilde is just brilliant!

White Raven
08-13-2009, 06:11 AM
Currently:

Dan Brown - Angels and Demons (trying to get through the two before Lost Symbol comes out)
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - The Hound of Baskervilles
Neil Gaiman - Sandman Volume 6
New Avengers Volume 4 (if they count :p)

:)

TurkSlayer
08-13-2009, 08:19 AM
Crime and Punishment. Probably going to read The Stranger after that.

Jiro
08-13-2009, 08:38 AM

I'm up to Saturday too but it's still on loan at the library. I'll get there eventually.

I read Othello for school but does Shakespeare count as a book? I haven't had time to read anything other than school stuff for a while, although I read one of the Odd Thomas books by Dean Koontz and that was good.

qwertysaur
08-13-2009, 07:43 PM

By Brian Greene? I've thought about checking it out occasionally, is it good?
I forgot about this thread, oops.
I found it to be very interesting an difficult to put down. Greene gives a very good overview of the problems with trying to use both General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics and gives a very good explanation of several major string theory elements. By the end of the book I felt that he answered all the points he intended. I was saddened that M Theory and the different types of sting theory were only given small notices, but also that would likely take an entire book on it's own to give justice.

Currently I'm just starting The Tombs of Atuan. :p

Polaris
08-18-2009, 11:13 AM
The graveyard book by Neil Gaiman:D:D:D:D (just arrived from Bookdepository)

Denmark
08-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
Catch-22 - Joseph Heller (again)
Rant - Chuck Palahniuk
Choke - Chuck Palahniuk
Naked - David Sedaris

I'm bad at finishing books.

krissy
08-18-2009, 08:21 PM
but you're very good at choosing ones to read apparently

theundeadhero
08-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Who wouldn't try to read a book called Naked?

Oh, I did Leeza. I finished it in two days. Then read New Moon in two days. Now I'm a day into the next.

Faris
08-18-2009, 09:09 PM
I'm currently reading Slow Death by Rubber Duck. Just started reading it and the writing style is amusing, for a report book.