PDA

View Full Version : Really hard non-optional, non-final boss bosses

Vermachtnis
06-15-2009, 05:22 PM
So I've been playing Class of Heroes the past week and beat one of the hardest bosses yet. She had extreme speed and evasion. It took a couple rounds of casting Accuracy buffs and slow on her before I could hit her. Not to mention she had a move that turned you into ash. That bypasses Instant Dead straight into Instant More Deader. And that's made worse cause my OCD makes me keep my team with the same XP so I had to reset every time she connected with it.

So anyway, what are some of your favorite pain in the ass storyline bosses from any game?

Zora
06-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Barbatos 3 from Tales of Destiny 2. No healing spells and attack spells for only the first half. And physical attacks blew in that game. It was a pain in the ass battle.

Jessweeee♪
06-15-2009, 08:20 PM
The hippie angel thing in Persona 4 :mad2:

It literally took me around thirty tries. Once I finally did beat him I really didn't change my strategy much at all but he went down kinda fast.

Zeromus_X
06-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Star Ocean 2, Vesper and Decus. The epitome of "That One Boss" battle. One of them has attacks with wide range and can petrify you, and the other spams fire spells that easily do well over your max HP without resistance. I mean, yeah, now I know how to take them out easily but not so much the first time through the game.

Persona 3, Sleeping Table. Only boss that really made me seriously level up/fuse better Personas. If you get lucky, it wastes it's turns on status or instant death spells (which are still dangerous), if unlucky it spams a hit-all fire attack and an Almighty spell that easily takes over half of your HP if not killing you outright. Of course, SMT games have their fair share of these kinds of bosses.

Shattered Dreamer
06-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Sorceress Adel in Final Fantasy VIII took me ages the 1st time if I remember correctly (well it was almost 10 years ago) I'd always end up killing Rinoa or get killed by Meteor did it eventually though

Ouch!
06-15-2009, 11:20 PM
Living Ice in Lost Odyssey requires stupid amounts of luck unless you're over-leveled.

NeoCracker
06-15-2009, 11:39 PM
Persona 3 - The Sleeping table.

I still have oh so many nightmares. :(

Aerith's Knight
06-15-2009, 11:47 PM
Nearly every boss or even local enemies in FFXII if you don't powerlevel after every freaking cinematic.

Ergo, to play this game to the end, you need to not have a life.

Jessweeee♪
06-16-2009, 12:13 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention every boss ever in The Answer chapter of Persona 3.

leader of mortals
06-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Arc the Lad: ToS, Droguza's ultimate deimos battle...
If you are within a ring far away from him, he has a very powerful area attack that could almost kill some weaker characters, If you are too far away you cant hit him, if you are too close he has a wide attack that can devastate you. You have to split your party into 2 and take 1 part down each side of the field, and hope that the stronger party will be bombed, then your weaker charaters have to stay back as your stronger members very slowly kill him.

Laddy
06-16-2009, 01:18 AM
Grandia's second-to-last boss was a bitch to kill when I was 8.

Brennan
06-16-2009, 02:37 AM
Living Ice in Lost Odyssey requires stupid amounts of luck unless you're over-leveled.

Ditto
Living Ice is the last boss on disc three, right? If so, then I'm thinking of the right battle, and I had only Cooke and Jansen in my party that were decently leveled :(

Depression Moon
06-16-2009, 03:20 AM
Arc the Lad: ToS, Droguza's ultimate deimos battle...
If you are within a ring far away from him, he has a very powerful area attack that could almost kill some weaker characters, If you are too far away you cant hit him, if you are too close he has a wide attack that can devastate you. You have to split your party into 2 and take 1 part down each side of the field, and hope that the stronger party will be bombed, then your weaker charaters have to stay back as your stronger members very slowly kill him.

I didn't personally find him too hard. I never actually died against him always almost died though If your characters get their aura though you can speed up the process.

XII story bosses doesn't give me much trouble anymore, but on first playthrough it was that plant thing in the forest and Elder Wyrm. Wait, there is still another that gives me trouble. Hashmal in the Pharos. There's no save crystal before you get to him so if it's your first time playing you'll probably be pretty beat up when you surprisingly find yourself in a battle.
Final fantasy VI regular enemies and bosses are crazy though.!
Demon Wall gave me trouble too in IV.

strawberryman
06-16-2009, 06:22 AM

It literally took me around thirty tries. Once I finally did beat him I really didn't change my strategy much at all but he went down kinda fast.

Eh, I had more trouble with Shadow Mitsuo my first playthrough than him. Plus, technically he could be considered a final boss. But, splitting hairs there.

...That's my candidate, anyway.

Jessweeee♪
06-16-2009, 06:38 AM

Eh, I had more trouble with Shadow Mitsuo my first playthrough than him. Plus, technically he could be considered a final boss. But, splitting hairs there.

Oh gawd, that guy, too. I hate babies.

I Took the Red Pill
06-16-2009, 06:45 AM
Songi was pretty hard every time you fought him in Legend of Legaia. Then again, so was pretty much everything in that game.

Ouch!
06-16-2009, 07:49 AM

Ditto
Living Ice is the last boss on disc three, right? If so, then I'm thinking of the right battle, and I had only Cooke and Jansen in my party that were decently leveled :(
Last boss on disc three is the Ice Magic Monster. He's not quite so awful as Living Ice, although the party set-up for both is the same: Jansen, Mack, Cooke, and Ming. Having only one immortal for both fights is brutal on its own, but the biggest problem with Living Ice is the casting of reflect which renders Jansen, Cooke, and Ming virtually useless, and Mack is really only a subpar melee. With all their magic, staying alive isn't usually too much of a problem, but he's just hard as hell to kill.

NeoCracker
06-16-2009, 10:39 AM
YES JESWEE! PErsona 3: The Answer bosses were mean. :(

Though I didn't find any of P4's bosses as hard as 3's were.

Wolf Kanno
06-18-2009, 02:59 AM
Star Ocean 2, Vesper and Decus. The epitome of "That One Boss" battle. One of them has attacks with wide range and can petrify you, and the other spams fire spells that easily do well over your max HP without resistance. I mean, yeah, now I know how to take them out easily but not so much the first time through the game.

And here I was hoping I could forget about them... Yeah they really were dicks the first time you faced them. Not sure which was worse, not being able to hit the Fire spammer or suddenly realizing that Rena isn't healing Dias petrification cause she is also turned to stone...

Persona 3, Sleeping Table. Only boss that really made me seriously level up/fuse better Personas. If you get lucky, it wastes it's turns on status or instant death spells (which are still dangerous), if unlucky it spams a hit-all fire attack and an Almighty spell that easily takes over half of your HP if not killing you outright. Of course, SMT games have their fair share of these kinds of bosses.

Oh god yes... This boss still gives me nightmares and I dread that part of Tartarus cause I know its coming... I hate how if you try to use a Magic Mirror to try and reflect its Maragidyne spell back onto itself it either uses a status ailment or Mahamoan to neutralize it or more likely it starts to exclusively use Megidoloan until everyone is dead...

The worse part is that the boss is so infamous for Persona fans that they decided to bring him back in P4. I'm currently stuck on him in the game's final dungeon for the True Ending... :cry:

Yes he was such a pain in the ass, especially when he remakes his 8-bit armor and "levels up" then he becomes a complete ass.

I would like to add:

Golem Twins from Chrono Trigger - yes they are not that bad now but back in the day, they were infamous among my friends and even when you know what you are doing they can be quite a handful.

Black Queen from Wolverine: Adamantium Rage (SNES) - I still can't beat this boss... I don't believe there is a level past her either, the screenshots of a such a level are a lie to fool kids into keep trying.

Samael from SMT3 - God's Curse is obnoxious especially since its impossible to protect yourself from all status ailments. You're either charmed or confused (leading to your party killing themselves) or Bind (leaving your party to the mercy of the boss) If you goofed and didn't bring a healing type demon that can restore ailments you are screwed when your main character gets hit since he's the only one who can use items.

Beelzebub from SMT3 - Death Flies, need I say more? Fine, what about the fact the only thing he doesn't resist, void, or repels is fire and finding a demon with Death Void and good fire magic is not exactly easy in this game...

Sumaru from Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - There are only two ways to beat this boss, the easy way that takes knowing specific information or the excruciatingly painful long way which is most likely how you will be doing this fight.

This guy has the most hp of any boss in the game (9999hp) and resists everything. Your best abilities at the time in a first playthrough will be doing a 100 - 250 hp of damage at most and that's just the fusion spells... The easy way to beat him involves taking note of the legend concerning him. He was killed by a samurai and his ward while trying to rescue a princess. You can get Persona's of these three heroes. Although the Persona's are pathetically weak, they have a fusion spell that auto-kills this boss. The problem lies here. While you obtain the Princess and Samurai characters in the dungeon you fight this boss in; you cannot obtain the Ward unless you donated 10.000 yen to a shrine that was only avaliable for a short time at the beginning of the game...

Miang/Opiamorph OmniGear from Xenogears - She's a bitch, plain and simple. She might have been a bit more managiable if you didn't have to fight Ramsus just before her but good god is she a pain to fight and since its a gear battle, there is nothing you can really do since levels don't really matter and the best Gear equipment at the time is adequate at best for this fight...

Vermachtnis
06-18-2009, 03:44 AM

And here I was hoping I could forget about them... Yeah they really were dicks the first time you faced them. Not sure which was worse, not being able to hit the Fire spammer or suddenly realizing that Rena isn't healing Dias petrification cause she is also turned to stone...

That's not good, I'm going through my first time of game now. :(

drotato
06-18-2009, 04:16 AM
I dunno, Legend of Legaia was easy to me. xD
And I loved it. Boss fights and all. It was amazingly fun for me. > <

Vyk
06-18-2009, 06:54 AM
Songi was pretty hard every time you fought him in Legend of Legaia. Then again, so was pretty much everything in that game.
This confused me..

This made me happy..

Legaia was so fun for me, I never had any trouble. I think I maybe died like... once. But then again the battle system was so much fun I actually enjoyed getting in fights. And though I didn't power level, I was never at a real disadvantage because of this. Especially once you can charge up a huge bar and unleash multiple combos

I too had a lot of trouble with Adel my first time in FFVIII. And Miang from Xenogears. But she was fun to figure out. Adel was just a chump. Also Adel looks like a dude. Some sorceress! ...

blackmage_nuke
06-18-2009, 07:08 AM
This confused me..

This made me happy..

Legaia was so fun for me, I never had any trouble. I think I maybe died like... once. But then again the battle system was so much fun I actually enjoyed getting in fights. And though I didn't power level, I was never at a real disadvantage because of this. Especially once you can charge up a huge bar and unleash multiple combos

QFT. The only bosses that presented any difficulty were the occasional Seru Bosses because I had to keep attacking them slowly as I wanted to absorb them instead of just beat them.
edit:Oh I forgot, except for Xain...he was an ass

Psycho Mantis really pissed me off the first time.

DarkBahamut
06-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Sky Scroll Monster: Tower of Doom
from Brave Fencer Musashi

Whenever you get paralyzed, it's like one of those annoying helicopter games where you press left to go right and press right to go left. I ended up whooping it's ass because I got pissed off.

Jowy
06-21-2009, 11:41 PM
http://www.terraearth.com/terranigma/img/char_bloody_mary.gif

HI GUYS I'M THE REASON ERIC NEVER FINISHED TERRANIGMA.

http://www.pwnmyheart.com/images/brutallus.png

Although I've never experienced the fight, five hours a week of Sanctuary wiping at him never seemed like a good time.

I can't find a good image of Opiomorph either, but fuck that gear.

I Took the Red Pill
06-21-2009, 11:49 PM
This confused me..

This made me happy..

QFT. The only bosses that presented any difficulty were the occasional Seru Bosses because I had to keep attacking them slowly as I wanted to absorb them instead of just beat them.

:bou::bou::bou::bou: well maybe I just suck dick at videogames then. Though now that I think about it, last time I played Legaia was when I was 10 years old or so, so that probably has something to do with it.

Rye
06-21-2009, 11:57 PM
The... Proud Clod. :(

Madame Adequate
06-21-2009, 11:59 PM
Legend of Legaia was balls hard when I played it :x

NeoCracker
06-22-2009, 04:08 AM
LEgaia was of moderate difficulty for me. Not easy, not hard, it had a good medium going for it.

Zeromus_X
06-22-2009, 09:35 AM

That's not good, I'm going through my first time of game now. :(

To make things a lot easier, craft Flare Rings from Ruby, and equip Dueling Suits or Stone Checks (not sure what version you're playing, so names might be different). Decus's fire spells can't do jack to you and you won't be petrified, making the battle much easier to handle.

ReloadPsi
06-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Barbos from Donkey Kong Country 3. Did that one ever piss me off ¬_¬

The Unknown Guru
06-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Lots of Xenosaga bosses just pissed me off. In Ep I, I had to try Proto Dora about 10 times (only because Bravesoul Jr. still can't do squat to him, of course :exdee:). In Ep II, Orgulla kicked my ass so hard my nose started bleeding, over and over and over again. Damn you, Sellers! (cookie if you get the reference :))

Heath
06-24-2009, 02:23 AM
Jaws in Goldeneye 64 is a real pain in the arse on the harder difficulty settings. Much moreso than Baron Samedi is.

Vermachtnis
06-24-2009, 03:33 AM
To make things a lot easier, craft Flare Rings from Ruby, and equip Dueling Suits or Stone Checks (not sure what version you're playing, so names might be different). Decus's fire spells can't do jack to you and you won't be petrified, making the battle much easier to handle.

Thanks for the tip, I'm playing Second Evolution. Ever since I Game Overed from Petrification two minutes into the Field of Courage, I've had Precis wear both an Amulet of Freedom and Flexibility. I'm getting ready to storm Phynal, for the second time.

And I gotta say the 2nd fight with Metatron was a pain. Cause he was invincible for the start and I thought it was scripted again. It wasn't. And to make things worse, I didn't save between Fun City and Armlock and had to view all those scenes and bosses again.

Medi
06-24-2009, 04:23 AM
The only boss battle that consistently gives me trouble each time I replay a game is the Omega Pirate from Metroid Prime. -_-

Good music, though.

Cyric
06-24-2009, 09:57 PM
:bounce:

I can't believe that despite this being a FINAL FANTASY-based forum, you all have overlooked one of the original uber-enemies...one picture says it all...granted, it technically isn't a boss...

NUCLEAR anyone?

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/4384/oooooo.gif

ReloadPsi
06-24-2009, 10:51 PM
:bounce:

I can't believe that despite this being a FINAL FANTASY-based forum, you all have overlooked one of the original uber-enemies...one picture says it all...granted, it technically isn't a boss...

NUCLEAR anyone?

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/4384/oooooo.gif

Never lost to it in my life, mainly because the only times I've ever met it are when I've actually wandered long enough for it to appear, and was therefore prepared :/