PDA

View Full Version : Computer Advice~

The Summoner of Leviathan
06-15-2009, 08:32 PM
So I have an old (4 years old) Dell Laptop that is starting to show its age, so I've been thinking to myself to invest in a good desktop computer as my main computer, keeping my laptop around for random stuff. I won't be able to afford buy a new desktop until a month or two but was looking at stuff now just to get a head start. I have some questions though.

Somethings to keep in mind: I want to get a pre-assembled tower case (I really don't want to buy all the pieces and do it myself) and I will be using it for daily things as well as occasional gaming. More of a console gamer but I want to be able to play a computer game if one catches my interest.

Is there a big difference between an Intel and an AMD processor? Does it really matter which a computer has?

Are there any manufacturers I should avoid? What are well known manufacturers?

Any other general advice?

Also, to note, I am a Canadian so I am avoiding buying stuff from the USA because of exchange rate (actually, I don't even know what it is at now...) plus shipping charges would be insane. :(

Thanks in advance~ <3

Namelessfengir
06-15-2009, 09:52 PM
how much are you willing to spend?
you could just go to newegg or tigerdirect and just pick a box

b1o
06-18-2009, 11:57 PM
Yes there's a difference in CPU power and price when it comes to amd vs intel. i'd say if you have enough money go buy an i7 prosessor from intel. if you can't afford that go core quad. still to much go AMD phenom.
1. Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-950
2. Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-920
3. Intel Core™ 2 Quad Q9650 3,00 GHz,
4. AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
5. AMD Phenom II X4 945

I have the core i7 950 myself and it runs like a charm. i'd go for the i7's if i were you but it's all about your budget. If you don't want to build the computer yourself be sure to notify the vendor that you don't want the stock fan if you pick an intel prosessor, the fans suck and the mounting mechanism is even worse(it's too loose, mine fell off during 3dmark. not a funny story). And don't pick Dell or HP, rather choose a local pc builder store. Both dell and hp uses crappy motherboards.

Namelessfengir
06-19-2009, 12:13 AM
i got mine built on ebay. the guy screwed me on some parts so next time ill just build it my self

b1o
06-19-2009, 12:30 AM
yup you should. i allways build mine, and never had better computers

Namelessfengir
06-19-2009, 12:46 AM
yeah but buddies of mine have had some horror stories.... littel geoff screwed the mobo directly to the case and then turned it on.... fried!!!

kris's case came smashed, roger somehow turned a cd drive in to a frag grenade

seems safer to have someone with a money back guarantee build it, hes replaced every thing that fucked up

b1o
06-19-2009, 12:59 AM
heh. those horror stories is all based on idiocy. building a computer is pritty easy if you know what you are doing, the first time it's a bit scary but you get a much better result. a good idea is to read the manual carfully to every part if it's your first time

Namelessfengir
06-19-2009, 03:30 AM
i had a general idea of what i wanted and ive never found an easy to use compatibility list

i had a general idea and i can add what ever parts i need in the future so it works

06-19-2009, 07:46 AM
I know a few friends who are into building PCs but one is in NY now (he has a monster of a PC that he built himself) and the other is in Japan. :/ Sorta wanna avoid that road at the moment. Plus I don't really have the time to do such a thing, between the knowledge I'd have to acquire before I feel comfortable doing it myself and not having anyone around who knows a lot about it. Even were I to get someone else to make it, I still would need to find someone trust-worthy. :/

BTW, I have a budget where I don't want to spend more than 1.5k in total (moniter, tower, keyboard, etc...). As far as monitors are concern, I am pretty set on it (Samsung since I've heard a lot of good things about them), just debating what size my budget can afford.

I looked around and was thinking about getting this (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dm=DEBUG&sku_id=0665000FS10124807&catid=).

From everything I have seen it is the best bang for my buck, especially since I can go pick it up at a store and wouldn't have to pay shipping charges. Assuming they still have it in the month or two when I actually plan on buying one.

Namelessfengir
06-19-2009, 06:50 PM
looks good what are you doing for a monitor?

theres this
newegg 21-1/2" monitor lcd 1080 p (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236053&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL061909&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL061909-_-MonitorsLCDFlatPanel-_-L0A-_-24236053)

139.99$ with promo code EMCLTMX22

06-19-2009, 06:54 PM
I was thinking about a Samsung 21.5" or 23" monitor, depending on how the sale are at the time.

b1o
06-23-2009, 12:08 PM
CRT ftw :) though they are hard to get, but sure the best for gaming experience

Namelessfengir
06-24-2009, 12:39 AM
what you talking about man? crt's are the cheapest stuff you can get now. you can barely even give them away... (coincidentally i got 3 crts for sale. 20$ a piece plus shipping and handling)