PDA

View Full Version : Excaliber II

roen
06-16-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm thinking of trying to get the Excaliber II on my next playthrough of FFIX and I was wondering how in the world you can play through the game and beat Lich in less than 12 gameplay hours. Any tips on this.

TheSpoonyBard
06-16-2009, 10:22 PM
i) Ensure you are familiar with the game. You don't want to waste time wandering aimlessly.
ii) Skip all FMVs. Open the disc cover/tray and close it again to skip.
iii) Skip through all dialogue. Change the text speed to maximum and mash X to get through it quickly.
iv) Avoid all non-essential ATEs.
v) Try to avoid as many encounters as possible. If you feel you're taking too long to traverse an area, soft-reset and try again.
vi) Save often and in as many slots as you can.
vii) Save before entering a shop. Plan what you are going to buy first, then reset and complete the transaction as quickly as possible.

Rantz
06-16-2009, 10:35 PM
Also open the menu, go to Config, and set all speed controls to fastest.

Heath
06-16-2009, 10:59 PM
SeeDRankLou wrote about his experiences in putting together a perfect game file which involved getting the Excalibur II which is good reading if you're looking at going through this challenge. Definitely some tips you can pick up from that.

You'll find it here: http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-ix/109126-my-perfect-game-file.html

roen
06-17-2009, 12:16 AM
i) Ensure you are familiar with the game. You don't want to waste time wandering aimlessly.
ii) Skip all FMVs. Open the disc cover/tray and close it again to skip.
iii) Skip through all dialogue. Change the text speed to maximum and mash X to get through it quickly.
iv) Avoid all non-essential ATEs.
v) Try to avoid as many encounters as possible. If you feel you're taking too long to traverse an area, soft-reset and try again.
vi) Save often and in as many slots as you can.
vii) Save before entering a shop. Plan what you are going to buy first, then reset and complete the transaction as quickly as possible.

I can't do number 2 because I'm playing it on my ps3 and when I take it out and put it back in the screen will turn black and not show anything.

G13
06-17-2009, 12:56 AM
You have to be incredibly awesome to do it. Alas, I have failed many a time.

roen
06-17-2009, 01:42 AM
You have to be incredibly awesome to do it. Alas, I have failed many a time.

I wish I was incredibly awesome. I just got to lindblum with like 2 hrs and 3 minutes of gameplay time.

G13
06-20-2009, 12:38 AM
Rub it in my face whydoncha!

roen
06-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Rub it in my face whydoncha!

Actually I restarted my game because I got a bad time trying to do the chocobo hot and cold stuff.

TheSpoonyBard
06-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Don't bother with any H&C until you've got the Excalibur II. You can play around with the chocobos to your heart's content once you've achieved your goal.

G13
06-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Yeah that would probably be a good idea.

qwertysaur
06-21-2009, 12:39 PM
It takes a bit of luck. But you can do it!

ReloadPsi
06-22-2009, 01:00 PM
It's certainly a noteworthy achievement, but not really worth it considering Steiner does enough damage anyway :(

Skyblade
06-22-2009, 04:13 PM
This weapon is one of the biggest reasons why I never finished FFIX. As a completionist, I have to collect every weapon/item/etcetera in the game, and being forced to speed run to do that just killed it for me. I hate speed runs, and I'm so glad that they didn't carry the idea over into future FFs.

~ Kain ~
06-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Totally agree Skyblade.... I would rather get everything in the game except that than get the Ex. II and miss nearly half the other items. I will eventually try to get it... just to say i have, ya know? But as for having a "perfect game" file, i would say that sword cannot be included. It is a seperate game and mission all in itself...

The Unknown Guru
06-23-2009, 08:37 AM
Yeah. I kinda like to get extra stuff like this, but it just isn't worth it. Steiner kicks enough ass already :D

Shotgunnova
06-23-2009, 10:14 AM
I usually don't blatantly support anything, but Atomos really wrote the quintessential Excalibur II/Perfect Game guide on GameFAQs, and you should definitely give it a look-see if you're interested in pursuing the challenge. Playing on the PS3 might give you some undue annoyances though, just a head's-up.

Skyblade
06-24-2009, 05:51 AM
I usually don't blatantly support anything, but Atomos really wrote the quintessential Excalibur II/Perfect Game guide on GameFAQs, and you should definitely give it a look-see if you're interested in pursuing the challenge. Playing on the PS3 might give you some undue annoyances though, just a head's-up.

Well, thanks for that. I may follow that guide at some point, but probably not. Skipping all dialogue, ATEs, and FMVs? No chance. I'd rather hack the sword.

I do appreciate the info though. It will help me deal with it a little better to know that it is impossible to get a truly perfect game, and I'd rather sacrifice the sword than the rest of it.

J.Raven
07-16-2009, 03:18 PM
This weapon is one of the biggest reasons why I never finished FFIX. As a completionist, I have to collect every weapon/item/etcetera in the game, and being forced to speed run to do that just killed it for me. I hate speed runs, and I'm so glad that they didn't carry the idea over into future FFs.I believe 'speed runs' take the fun out of the game, because for me the journey through the game is what is important.

I actually did try, but stopped before that early stage in the game where you stumble upon Quina's swamp, because at that point I realized I wasn't having fun.

eestlinc
07-22-2009, 09:28 AM
The Excalibur II is a great idea because if you play through the game and enjoy it, even if you make sure to get everything, there is still something left to try. Then if you manage to go get Excalibur II on a different playthrough, you still have the incredible challenge of also trying to get everything else to have a perfect save. I think the design of this sidequest is brilliant.