PDA

View Full Version : Of Uggs & Earrings: Ladies' Only?

Dynast-Kid
06-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Okay, so, my 26-year old cousin got both of his ears pierced recently. He is a very heterosexual male, and there is no doubt in anyone's mind he is straight. However, when my (very traditional) uncle saw his piercings, he made remarks like: "I've got two daughters now", and "Son, when are you gonna put on your dress?", and other feminizing things. So it got me thinking, are earrings a woman thing, or can men do it to, and still be manly? Men have been getting their ears pierced for thousands of years, but it's still viewed as a female thing.

It also got me wondering about Ugg boots. Uggs were invented by Australian farmers, and then became popular with World War aviators, and then surfers so they'd keep their feet warm outside of the water. But now they've become a huge fashion trend for women (thanks to Kate Moss), but have historically been primarily male footwear. I've heard people talking about how men shouldn't wear Uggs, and they're for "women only", which just isn't true.

So, EoFF, what do you think of men with pierced ears and dudes rocking Ugg boots*??

*in the winter of course, because summer Uggs are a fashion faux pas ;)

Psychotic
06-17-2009, 08:02 PM
I'd think "They sure look silly!" and then forget all about them.

I Took the Red Pill
06-17-2009, 08:03 PM
I hate Uggs in any manifestation whatsoever, on either male or female.

fire_of_avalon
06-17-2009, 08:04 PM
I don't really care about who wears earrings. Earrings are just pretty.

No one should wear uggs in a sense of being good-looking or fashionable, because they are neither. It does not surprise me to know that their original use was strictly function and not fashion.

Athena Shadowraven
06-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Okay when I read this all I could think of was the line from the movie The Cement Garden (I think).

"Girls can wear jeans, cut their hair short, wear shirts and boots... 'Cause it's okay to be a boy. But for a boy to look like a girl is degrading. Because you think that being a girl is degrading. But secretly, you'd love to know what it's like, wouldn't you? What it feels like for a girl."

But yes, I'm alright with guys and pierced ears. Maybe your uncle, like you said, is just too...traditional. I mean, come on. Different people, different views. I think people should just be happy with what they wear. :D

Rye
06-17-2009, 08:12 PM
I don't care what anyone says, I think Ugg boots are adorable little things. They make your feet look big and they're soft and warm. But Ugg boots don't look very good on guys. It's silly.

I am going to buy a knitted pair soon:

http://www.fashionandgifts.co.uk/images/uggcardy1.jpg

But yeah, anyone who wears Uggs in the summer is a shmuck. I'll admit that one.

fire_of_avalon
06-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Rye, I will knit you a pair of boots myself to keep you from wearing Uggs ever again.

Quindiana Jones
06-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Ugg boots should be made illegal under penalty of execution by defenestration from a plane, regardless of gender.

I despise Uggs and Crocs with every fibre of my being. They are indoor feet warming shoes (Uggs), not outdoor wear.

Having said that, they're really not that big a deal. I don't really mind people who wear them. xD

Rye
06-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Uggs make up a good 80% of my winter shoe apparel. I have three pairs in grey, black, and brown, and these will be the fourth. I just like them so much, foa, I'm sorry. My toes are never cold. xD

I hate sneakers with a passion, so the only other thing I wear in the winter besides Uggs are long boots or rain boots.

Crocs, on the other hand, should be outlawed. Unless you are a 5 year old kid, then you cannot wear them.

EDIT: In regards to earrings, I think getting ears pierced isn't a girls thing at all. Some piercings in the ears can look really cool, or really lame. I think giant diamond studs in guys ears is mega-cheesy.

Madame Adequate
06-17-2009, 08:26 PM
ITT: instant derail to discuss merits of Ugg boots.

Rye
06-17-2009, 08:29 PM
http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/fashion/stylephile/ugg2.jpg

They can complete a winter outfit with jeans so well.

I also feel them to be visually slimming when paired with skinny jeans, but then again, I think sneakers add 20 lbs to people, so maybe I'm crazy when it comes to that point.

Quindiana Jones
06-17-2009, 08:40 PM
In my opinion, whilst not really detracting anything from the outfit or creating some kind of unattractive aura to otherwise attractive women, the Uggs in those examples do nothing to add to the outfit either. Shoes can often be very important accessories that can make or break an outfit, IMAO. Ugg boots may not ruin an outfit, but it seems to me that there are always alternative that would make a good outfit awesome.

Jess
06-17-2009, 08:42 PM
I really dislike ugg boots, full stop. I'd rather walk barefoot than wear them!

I'm pretty used to earrings on guys. I can find it quite attractive depending on the guys overall look. I only really like studs on guys. This picture of Beckham shows the type of earring that I like on a man.

Breine
06-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Everybody can wear earrings if they want to. Anybody who doesn't think so is just weird.

theundeadhero
06-17-2009, 09:26 PM
I think if I guy wears a loop earring then it's no big deal. I think if they wear a stud earring then it looks gay.

Until today I never knew what ugg boots were but man do they look stupid. I probably don't even want to know what crocs are.

Jessweeee♪
06-17-2009, 09:37 PM
I never got what the big deal about Uggs are. They're just boots, they don't bite :confused:

EDIT:

These are crocs:

http://www.seanpaune.com/images/blog/crocs.jpg

Crocs Can Pose a Danger on Escalators - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Consumer/story?id=2530368&page=1)

They make me think of those horrible jelly shoes that are pretty but ten times as painful as any other uncomfortable shoe.

Quindiana Jones
06-17-2009, 09:49 PM
My eyes just died.

rubah
06-17-2009, 09:56 PM
re: the earring thing. There was more than one male at my high school who had both ears pierced with giant diamond studs in. And I think most of you can imagine the kind of people I went to high school with, and I promise you, they were completely typical of that kind.

Yar
06-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Ugh. Guys shouldn't get piercings anywhere. Just, no. :eep: Girls should get only their ears pieced.

I think it's gross. :X

Jessweeee♪
06-17-2009, 10:07 PM
It does look a little feminine on the earlobes.

Shiny
06-17-2009, 10:31 PM
People look stupid in uggs, imo. It doesn't even matter the gender. Damn fads.

EDIT: And I think earrings work for some men; particularly the diamond studs or x earring. Hoops would be quite odd on most men as they have too much of a square face to pull that off.

Momiji
06-17-2009, 11:13 PM
Crocs and Uggs are fucking hideous, imo.

Aerith's Knight
06-17-2009, 11:32 PM
My eyes just died.

You're still alive after that rape of your orbital nerves?

demondude
06-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Crocs are horrible, I will admit.

LunarWeaver
06-17-2009, 11:39 PM
People can wear whatever they want. I hope wearing nothing but fig leaves comes back in style, personally.

KentaRawr!
06-18-2009, 04:05 AM
Uggs would look so cool if they had laces. You can't deny it. As is, it seems like a way for a person in the winter to say "Hey. I'm keeping my feet warm. Are you?"

drotato
06-18-2009, 04:09 AM
Okay... men, wearing uggs? NO.
It's just weird. <. <

But I do love a man with piercings, I have to admit. They are seeeexy. > <

Vyk
06-18-2009, 06:37 AM
I have both ears pierced

Twice

With hoops

And I get my jollies off to women

And I like it

And guys should start wearing uggs again now that I know what they originated for. Stuff fashion

But they are damn ugly haha

Jiro
06-18-2009, 07:01 AM
Crocs are a sin. Uggs aren't overly horrible, I think they look kinda cool. But they're made primarily for women these days, so it's go without or wear women's shoes.

qwertysaur
06-18-2009, 07:10 AM
I had a Jew laugh thinking of Rye calling people Shmucks.

Rye
06-18-2009, 12:51 PM

My family has a very Jewish vocabulary, for some reason. Maybe it's because we grew up around lots of Jewish people. In any case, people think I'm Jewish when they see me. Calling people "shmucks" only convinces them of that more. :bigsmile:

The Summoner of Leviathan
06-18-2009, 07:25 PM
I am sorta indifferent towards uggs despite thinking them not that aesthetically pleasing.

I have no problem with guys having ear piercings, just a bit annoying at times when you are playing with their ears though.

Quindiana Jones
06-18-2009, 07:28 PM

My family has a very Jewish vocabulary, for some reason. Maybe it's because we grew up around lots of Jewish people. In any case, people think I'm Jewish when they see me. Calling people "shmucks" only convinces them of that more. :bigsmile:

I once got a text from an unknown number that said, simply, "fucking jew". I laughed. And my friend's friend asked her if I was Jewish..."y'know, cos of the jewfro". xD

I obviously need to start using the word shmuck. Also, it is an awesome word anyway.

Rantz
06-18-2009, 07:34 PM
I am sorta indifferent towards uggs despite thinking them not that aesthetically pleasing.

I have no problem with guys having ear piercings, just a bit annoying at times when you are playing with their ears though.

This, basically, except I've never really attempted to play with a pierced ear, male or otherwise.

Dynast-Kid
06-18-2009, 08:27 PM

I also feel them to be visually slimming when paired with skinny jeans, but then again, I think sneakers add 20 lbs to people, so maybe I'm crazy when it comes to that point.

I agree when you said they have a slimming effect when wearing snug jeans. I also like them when girls wear leggings and a short sweater-dress!

Also, here are some men in Uggs:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/1086564/Man%20on%20Stool.jpg
http://sas.localguides.com/bundles/guides_3w/assets/widget_b7ErJpCJXbplqtqwDb5J4I.jpg
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00641/uggs1_280_641012a.jpg

I think one reason people don't like men in Uggs is just because it's such a huge trend for women, when it's actually a unisex footwear. I think Uggs even have an overtly masculine shape and design!

Quindiana Jones
06-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Brad and JT did it right. Though, to be honest, if you're gonna wear chunky footwear then you should just buy combat boots and thick socks. :)

rubah
06-18-2009, 10:03 PM
if you're wearing them and not a coat, I think you should probably rethink your footwear.

Unbreakable Will
06-18-2009, 10:24 PM
earrings...i think that both genders can wear em.
as for uggs...i believe that they should all be burned to keep the hobos warm in the winter. and anyone found wearing them should be hit with a large stick --> :twak:

theundeadhero
06-18-2009, 10:46 PM
I think everybody should wear combat boots.

Jessweeee♪
06-18-2009, 11:22 PM

I agree when you said they have a slimming effect when wearing snug jeans. I also like them when girls wear leggings and a short sweater-dress!

Also, here are some men in Uggs:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/1086564/Man%20on%20Stool.jpg
http://sas.localguides.com/bundles/guides_3w/assets/widget_b7ErJpCJXbplqtqwDb5J4I.jpg
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00641/uggs1_280_641012a.jpg

I think one reason people don't like men in Uggs is just because it's such a huge trend for women, when it's actually a unisex footwear. I think Uggs even have an overtly masculine shape and design!

They look better on men when they're under the jeans, it seems!

NeoTifa
06-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Hey! Link has his ears pierced!!! And his earrings are blue, and he's still sexy for a non-existant video game character!!!! >=(

Depression Moon
06-19-2009, 01:15 AM
Your black right Dynast-Kid? Well earrings have also been worn by men for thousands of years. I know for sure with blacks. Shaka Zulu is the most badass black guy that ever lived and he wore earrings. I saw the post that Rye posted of Ugg boots.... yeah those look girly.

Edit: Links has earrings? *Goes to check poster in bedroom.*

theundeadhero
06-19-2009, 03:38 AM
Starting with the N64 era link has had an earring.

The Summoner of Leviathan
06-19-2009, 07:51 AM
Hey! Link has his ears pierced!!! And his earrings are blue, and he's still sexy for a non-existant video game character!!!! >=(

Oh how sexy he is...*stares at TP wall scroll*

Laddy
06-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Uggs suck, not because of Uggs themselves, but people always fuck them up.

Earrings are cute on males if they are appropriately done, so many people don't know how to wear them, though.

Madame Adequate
06-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Yeah Laddy, so many people try to wear them as nose rings, it just looks dumb.

Dynast-Kid
06-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Your black right Dynast-Kid?

Yessir. :bigsmile:

Well earrings have also been worn by men for thousands of years. I know for sure with blacks. Shaka Zulu is the most badass black guy that ever lived and he wore earrings.

You're right! You also have to look at the ancient Egyptians! They invented papyrus, beer, animal-headed gods, and other neat stuff! Earrings on men are totally okay if you ask me. ;)

scrumpleberry
06-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Uggs are gross on anyone and everyone if they are considered to be at all chic or fashionable. Big no-no, shows that you have tacky sheepish taste. They sure look comfy though, I don't mind if people wear them being totally aware that they're hideous and silly :razz: Uggs + trackies are worn by both girls and guys in my area. It's obvious that none of the guys take their appearance seriously, but you can tell that the girls have spent painstaking hours slapping on their makeup, picking out earrings and necklaces and cute t-shirts, and straightening their dead, straw-like hair, getting a fake tan...and then they complete the look with trackies and uggs. The mind, it boggles!

ALSO earrings, for me it totally depends on the person. Example: Rye has her ears pierced (at least?) twice and I know loads of girls who make it look tacky and stupid, but she really does it well and makes it work with her look (GUITEARRINGS :heart:) Personally I'm not too keen on earrings on guys at all, but it depends totally on him, what he looks like, what earrings he wears, what he wears them with.

Rye
06-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Thanks! Yeah, I have them pierced twice in one ear, and three times in the other. I usually just wear pearls or a simple earring in the second holes, and something similar in the first holes, except when I want to do something nicer, then I put cool earrings in. :bigsmile: [/I]

demondude
06-20-2009, 05:03 PM
We managed to persuade some guy that having a piercing on your left ear meant you were gay ... it was funny. :D

EDIT: I think there is some combination which represents gay pride, I'm not sure what it is though. Anyone know?

Mirage
06-21-2009, 04:32 AM
ANY COMBINATION!