PDA

View Full Version : It might not be worth much gold but the sentimental value is through the roof!

blackmage_nuke
06-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Does anyone else equip their characters based on sentimental value of the items or do you keep it based on pure gameplay advantage?

Part of my gaming OCD makes it so that I cant let someone else equip an accesory that has sentimental value towards a certain character like Mei's Pendant in Legend of Legaia. I equip Squall with Quetzocotl and if it werent for the fact that Maudin is so useful i would only let Terra use Maudin.

And when anyone starts out with something i cant bring myself to sell thier original equipment

NeoCracker
06-19-2009, 10:16 AM
I be a stat whore. :(

Markus. D
06-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Both.

In GW specifically, I've held a Bear Pelt there for almost two years xD!

Statwise, OMNOMNOM, as long as it's a balanced upgrade that won't break the game easilly, yes (aka. non-catnip).

Heath
06-19-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm exactly the same. Squall will always use Quezacotl when I play FFVIII because anyone else using him would just seem plain odd. I also kept all my original equipment when I played Ragnarok Online to remind myself of what it's like to be a humble Novice. Sometimes playing through games I'll not sell any equipment at all if I can afford not to. Besides, who wants to buy my blood-stained mythril armlet?

ljkkjlcm9
06-19-2009, 05:55 PM
I never sell any equipment unless I have multiple copies of it. If it's an unlimited inventory, I always keep 1 of everything.

THE JACKEL

Momiji
06-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Nope. I have a different way of doing things. I always equip whichever character has the strongest sentimental value to me with all of the best items. Once I find something better, I give it to that character, and give whatever it had before to whichever character was next in my sentimental value hierarchy.

For example, Terra would always get the best weapons in FFVI since she was one of my favorite characters. After I found something better, I'd take whatever she had and give it to Edgar or Locke or whoever else was in my party at the time.

ljkkjlcm9
06-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Nope. I have a different way of doing things. I always equip whichever character has the strongest sentimental value to me with all of the best items. Once I find something better, I give it to that character, and give whatever it had before to whichever character was next in my sentimental value hierarchy.

For example, Terra would always get the best weapons in FFVI since she was one of my favorite characters. After I found something better, I'd take whatever she had and give it to Edgar or Locke or whoever else was in my party at the time.
I play similar to that. Decide what characters are my favorite and always equip them first, on down the line. It works pretty well for me. But of course sometimes I like to balance my main party. So it can change up a bit sometimes.

THE JACKEL

Namelessfengir
06-19-2009, 06:16 PM
i try to go with the best weapon for them. then once ive leveled up enough and i wont get an upgrade for awhile i swap back to there original until the next weapon level

Shlup
06-19-2009, 09:28 PM
I keep sentimental equipment, but only use it when it's actually useful.

Vermachtnis
06-19-2009, 09:39 PM
I never sell anything if the team as access to Hyperspace. And I do admit I play favorites and they get first dibs at special equipments. Protip: Girls with short red hair are better equipped than everyone.

Also if equipment changes appearance I won't wear anything ugly or mismatched. I got in an argument over that with someone in Shaiya. I didn't equip new leg armor because it didn't match my body armor.

Depression Moon
06-19-2009, 10:19 PM
I don't see the sentimental attatchment between Quezacoatl and Squall was just some GF assigned to him.
I would generally go with the strongest weapon or best accessory I could find and equip it to him or her, but I would stick with those sentimental equipment on a replay or when I've done a lot of sidequesting and stuff and I'm so powerful that it doesn't matter which weapon I'm using.

In KHII on my third playthrough I used Kingdom Key through the whole game not because of any sentiments but just for another way to make the game harder for me.

Big D
06-20-2009, 02:13 AM
In various FFs, you can sell the initial weapons of some of the characters. I can't bring myself to do it, though - too much sentimental value there, and too little cash to be gained:p

Iceglow
06-20-2009, 02:52 AM
I try to make sure I'm packing 1 of everything for example in Fallout 3, although my carry capacity is quite pitiful I tend to make sure I have in my house in one of the many storage devices 1 of everything I have encountered and multiples of anything truly useful such as a crutch used in a railway rifle is often found with 4 or 5 copies on hand.