PDA

View Full Version : Tanning

Shiny
06-20-2009, 08:15 PM
A few days ago I was discussing artificial tanning with several different people. Some said it was good, some said natural tanning is better, and some said tanning causes cancer like everything else according to the news. After discussing this, I decided to do a little research on the matter and ended up discovering the horrors of artificial tanning...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c164/xShiny1x/tan1.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c164/xShiny1x/tan2.jpg

What are your opinions on artificial tanning, or tanning in general? Do you tan frequently?

Laddy
06-20-2009, 08:55 PM
I love to tan. It's a great way to say I'm doing something when I'm not.

rubah
06-20-2009, 09:06 PM
I am going tanning after I give my ciddie speech

Bastian
06-21-2009, 12:00 AM
During Autumn and Winter I do like to use tanning beds about once a month to counteract my undiagnosed Seasonal Affected Disorder. I don't know if I actually suffer from it, but I notice that I feel my mood improve dramatically if I tan during those seasons.

That being said, I'd much prefer to sunbathe . . . but that's impossible during those seasons here in Portland. :)

~*~Celes~*~
06-21-2009, 12:03 AM
i like to tan via sitting in the sun :)

Meat Puppet
06-21-2009, 12:04 AM
I do not tan; Irish skin.

Rantz
06-21-2009, 12:16 AM
I do not tan; no skin.

Peegee
06-21-2009, 12:24 AM
There's nothing wrong with sunbeds. I however do natural tanning for the time being.

Will/likely will/may add sunbeds soon.

Tama2
06-21-2009, 12:37 AM
Natural just looks sexier.

Vyk
06-21-2009, 02:25 AM
That first picture is more likely a spray tan than a bed tan. I don't usually worry about tanning. Though I would like to get a mesh or sheer shirt for when I'm training dogs outside. That way I won't end up with a farmer's tan. That -does- bother me

Rye
06-21-2009, 02:30 AM
I think my pale skin is my prettiest feature. Tans look good on me too though, when I was younger, I used to look Sicilian, I got so dark during the summer.

scrumpleberry
06-21-2009, 02:37 AM
I tan really easily, but I am an indoor dwelling nerd and thus am pasty. I don't prefer myself one way or the other.

Shlup
06-21-2009, 03:59 AM
I'm not really into cooking myself. I'd just burn anyway.

qwertysaur
06-21-2009, 04:02 AM
I don't try and get tan, I'll avoid the activation of melanin whenever I can with sunscreen. I don't want skin cancer :/ (and I burn very easially)

Vermachtnis
06-21-2009, 05:16 AM
I do not tan. It involves outside and I don't like that place.

Jojee
06-21-2009, 11:14 AM
I tan outside, in the sun. ^_^ I tan easily so it's no problem, I just walk around and then I'm tanned.

Last summer I tried to stay pale and not tan at all, but this summer I'm going tan. My skin color really differentiates in winter and summer.

I wouldn't artificial tan though. Scary. Plus it's terrible when people turn out looking orange.

NeoCracker
06-21-2009, 11:17 AM
I can't hold a tan. I generally burn, then I look tan for a day, then back to normal.

Besides, my sexy white boy appeal is sexy. ;)

Breine
06-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Artificial tanning is a load of crap. There are so many young girls and guys even (and even people my age and older) that look so ridiculously tan it's.. well, ridiculous! What's wrong with being pale all of a sudden?
Also, tanning lotion is the Devil's work - I cringe whenever I see my sister (she's 13) and all of her peers having the stuff smeered all over their faces. You can actually see a thick layer, and crusts. Ugh!

A healthy looking natural tan is the way to go!

Jojee
06-21-2009, 01:52 PM
That being said, not all artificial tans turn out looking crap and orange and overdone. Some of my friends go to tanning salons and they come out looking very nice and natural. You'd never be able to tell the difference :}~

Jiro
06-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Natural tan ftw. Though none of this "spend all day at the beach" crap. There's a girl in my year who is as dark as heck, so she's going to get cancer and die. What a waste, it doesn't even look good on her.

Timekeeper
06-21-2009, 02:04 PM
There is nothing healthy about a tan.
Tanning is skin cells in trauma.

Yay NSW government!

The TV Commercial: About Skin: Dark Side of Tanning (http://www.darksideoftanning.com.au/campaign/tvc.aspx)
Home: Dark Side of Tanning (http://www.darksideoftanning.com.au/)

Levian
06-21-2009, 02:21 PM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c164/xShiny1x/tan1.jpg

That's not tanning, that's orangeing. :erm:

Rantz
06-21-2009, 02:27 PM
I don't go to any great lengths to get a good tan. Sometimes I get one anyway, sometimes I don't. It's all good. :eiko:

Unbreakable Will
06-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Since my mom is from some sort of hispanic descent, I tan pretty well. But I can burn easy too, b/c of my Irish biological father. So in winter i look like a vampire and most of spring too, but in summer and fall Im pretty tan.

Shiny
06-21-2009, 09:15 PM
There is nothing healthy about a tan.
Tanning is skin cells in trauma.

Yay NSW government!

The TV Commercial: About Skin: Dark Side of Tanning (http://www.darksideoftanning.com.au/campaign/tvc.aspx)
Home: Dark Side of Tanning (http://www.darksideoftanning.com.au/)
Hahaha, Australia! And ew at melanoma.

Besides, my sexy white boy appeal is sexy. ;)
Your redundancy is redundant. ;)

There are horrors of natural tanning too unfortunately. I don't actively seek out tans, they seek out me when I go outside. This is why I wear sunblock whenever possible to avoid turning into this:

http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/draft_lens1988765module9927939photo_1213119382SkinDamage.jpg

Jess
06-21-2009, 09:25 PM
I tan very easily, but am naturally very pale.

I work in an office, so rarely get to spend the day sitting in the sun catching rays. I'll sit outside on my lunch break or at the weekend, but don't end up getting much of a tan, because I sit outside in my work clothes and I'm all covered up or by the time it's the weekend there is no sun because that's typical Britain :jess: but all of my guy friends who do jobs like building are so tanned right now because they work outside and i'm super jealous because I'm still pale :(

I don't apply fake tan because most of the time people just end up looking orange, but I'll have a sunbed every now and again.

poll should be multiple choice! I tan with sunlight and sunbed! ;D

Jowy
06-21-2009, 10:40 PM
pale girls are sexy.

drotato
06-21-2009, 10:55 PM
I'm literally not aloud to tan. I will get skin cancer. o.o
So, if you can't tell from that, OR my profile picture, I'm very, veerrrry pale. It's really annoying sometimes, though. And a bit funny, because all my mother does is tan. > .>

Jowy
06-21-2009, 11:01 PM
the other problem with tanning is that I never spend enough time outside shirtless to keep my upper body all one color, so I've got a pretty rockin' farmer's tan right now. especially when you compare the level of darkness from my driving arm to my steering arm.

rubah
06-21-2009, 11:07 PM
mostly I freckle.

Dynast-Kid
06-22-2009, 04:56 AM
I'm nice and brown all year long. :bigsmile:

Unbreakable Will
06-22-2009, 04:59 AM
LMAO...great timing

Dynast-Kid
06-22-2009, 05:05 AM
LMAO...great timing

uh...well, it's true. :3

Unbreakable Will
06-22-2009, 05:08 AM
LMAO...great timing

indeed :D i unfortunately, switch back and forth between pale white and extremely tan

Loony BoB
06-22-2009, 01:31 PM
LMAO...great timing

indeed :D i unfortunately, switch back and forth between pale white and extremely tan
I had a natural tan year-round in NZ, but since coming to the UK it's gone. As for tans on other people, fake tans tend to look horrendous and anyone with a holiday tan (even if naturally done) looks weird in the UK, no matter how cool they might think they are they just look out of place more than anything. :p

fire_of_avalon
06-22-2009, 03:17 PM
I go outside and sometimes I wear sunscreen. But I live in the woods, so my tan is always a very light yellowy gold color and not BROOOOOWN.

Orange people look so dumb. In my sr. yearbook this girl is orange and someday she's going to look back at that and stab herself in the throat.