PDA

View Full Version : Rinoa's mother

Shattered Dreamer
06-22-2009, 12:01 AM
I came across an interesting fact(well maybe) during my latest ongoing play through of FFVIII. At the beginning of Disc 2 where you are playing as Laguna in Windhill I noticed something interesting. When you are talking to Kiros in Raine's pub there is an option during the conversation how is Julia (or something to that effect). Kiros then tells Laguna she is with a guy named General Caraway ie Rinoa's father.

So the question is does anyone else like myself reckon Julia (the piano player turned singer from the Deling City Hotel) is Rinoa's mother?

Ouch!
06-22-2009, 12:22 AM
I didn't think there was any doubt about this at all.

Marky Tee
06-22-2009, 12:54 AM
hey that might be true :0!!!!!!11one!

im also working on a theory
ive been noticing a lot of evidence pointing to the fact that this pope might just well be a catholic

Rantz
06-22-2009, 01:05 AM
Don't be a jerk, Marky Tee.

Yes, Julia is Rinoa's mother, and Laguna and Raine are Squall's parents.

Depression Moon
06-22-2009, 01:54 AM
What if Laguna knocked up Julia before she left to General Caraway and when Caraway had sex with her he naturally thought that he was the father? That would make Squall and Rinoa brother and sister thus their relationship would be incest.

Cyric
06-22-2009, 03:05 AM
What if Laguna knocked up Julia before she left to General Caraway and when Caraway had sex with her he naturally thought that he was the father? That would make Squall and Rinoa brother and sister thus their relationship would be incest.

The only chance of that is if Julia raped Laguna while he was sleeping after talking about himself so much. They DID have wine, and she MAY have slipped something into it.

blackmage_nuke
06-22-2009, 10:21 AM
She would also have to be pregnant for over a year.

And yes Julia is Rinoa's Mother, Rinoa's last name is Heartilly. Though im not sure why it isnt Caraway possibly because Square wanted to be sure there was no doubt. I still dont get where they got the name Leonheart though.

Ouch!
06-22-2009, 10:51 AM
She would also have to be pregnant for over a year.

And yes Julia is Rinoa's Mother, Rinoa's last name is Heartilly. Though im not sure why it isnt Caraway possibly because Square wanted to be sure there was no doubt. I still dont get where they got the name Leonheart though.
Given that Rinoa ran away from home to lead a resistence movement against the government for which her father works (and as a very famous general, no less), it would make sense that she might not want to share a last name with the enemy.

Leonheart is presumably Raine's last name. I don't think it's officially stated anywhere in the game, though. Perhaps the Ultimania?

Heath
06-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Could even be a possibility that Caraway himself didn't want Rinoa to have his surname, lest she become a more obvious target to enemies or something.

Marky Tee
06-22-2009, 04:53 PM
i sorry :(

Namelessfengir
06-22-2009, 07:16 PM

you mean wincest!!!!

but yeah laguna was away to war/captured for about a year that why julia went to the general she had given up on him

Depression Moon
06-22-2009, 08:23 PM
The only chance of that is if Julia raped Laguna while he was sleeping after talking about himself so much.
lol

you mean wincest!!!!

??? What's that?

Namelessfengir
06-22-2009, 09:14 PM
you mean wincest!!!!

??? What's that?

take a guess....:tongue:

Garnie
06-22-2009, 09:37 PM
I thought that was obvious actually. Because i was all like "WOW" and stuff. I get how it could confuse others though. the game isn't very clear on a lot of things.

fire_of_avalon
06-22-2009, 10:24 PM
The whole point of the romance plots in the game, though, is to prove that true love and destiny can exist across generations. Laguna and Julia were in love and were never able to be together, but their love manifested in their (separate) children.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Which is still pretty weird and creepy.

Marky Tee
06-22-2009, 11:02 PM
hey i never thought of that bit before
thats actualy quite cool

Shattered Dreamer
06-23-2009, 11:54 AM
The whole point of the romance plots in the game, though, is to prove that true love and destiny can exist across generations. Laguna and Julia were in love and were never able to be together, but their love manifested in their (separate) children.

I had kinda come to a similar conclusion myself. Its a pity all these little facts weren't really explored any further at any point in the game. There is no reason why Square couldn't of put information about such things in the Bestiary like in FFXII (defeating a certain amount of a particular enemy revealed more info on Ivalice in the Bestiary(for those who didn't know:P))

BG-57
06-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Gives it a Wuthering Heights quality to it: Healthcliff and Catherine's relationship is doomed, but his adopted son and Catherine's daughter are able to be together and essentially redeem three generations of misdeeds.

xXsarahXx
06-23-2009, 01:10 PM

What a beutiful way of thinking of it :) i like

TheSpoonyBard
06-23-2009, 01:11 PM
The in-game Tutorial practically states that Julia is Rinoa's mother.

Eyes On Me
Julia Heartilly's song. Julia married the Galbadian General Caraway after releasing "Eyes On Me". Gave birth to a girl one year later. Julia died in a car crash at age 28, right before her daughter turned 5.

Shattered Dreamer
06-23-2009, 11:00 PM
The in-game Tutorial practically states that Julia is Rinoa's mother.

Eyes On Me
Julia Heartilly's song. Julia married the Galbadian General Caraway after releasing "Eyes On Me". Gave birth to a girl one year later. Julia died in a car crash at age 28, right before her daughter turned 5.

I suppose that kinda answers the thread:P I'l have to give that tutorial section a read at some point

Saber
06-23-2009, 11:26 PM
is eyes on me how this site got its name?

blackmage_nuke
06-24-2009, 01:14 AM
Yes i think thats how the forum was named, I personally would have prefered Son of a Squaresoft, but what can you do.

Serapy
06-25-2009, 06:22 PM

That's a quite acceptable theme which shared the love story between Squall and Rinoa. Thier love story has begun when Rinoa implemented Squall into her life simply by casting her magic finger-star symbolism towards himself. It`s incredibly rare for one woman knowing that her newly-determined relationship will end up well eventually throughout the whole story, regardless of Squall`s questionable attitudes. A woman initialising a specific action towards a stranger - one out of 100 or so other people in the room and everything is set in stone.

Thier destiny is willingly set in stone before Ultimecia came into play. Ultimecia has altered the timeline between Squall and Rinoa, and no matter what happens, the destiny of Squall and Rinoa never changed a bit.

This has to be psychological related. If Laguna and Julia were never in love before, the love between Squall and Rinoa would have never happened. Or perhaps, even Rinoa and Squall would have never existed. Or most of all, Ultimecia would have never happened. One thing led to another thing; e.g. the misfortune between Laguna and Julia has caused both of them to go toward thier own ways. It`s as if Final Fantasy VIII is filled with misfortunes.

That is why R=U is a nice addition to the story. In the end, Ultimecia lost. Squall and Rinoa won, and they were happy after the game. Destiny wins after all.

Skyblade
06-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Is it possible to have a thread in this forum that doesn't have someone try to turn it into an R=U discusion?

Rantz
06-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Is that a challenge? :zidane:

Sword
07-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Are you serious? The game practically throws that in your face. Otherwise, what's the point in saying Julia got with Caraway?

Rocket Edge
07-10-2009, 01:43 PM

What a beutiful way of thinking of it :) i like