PDA

View Full Version : Classic FF Questions

Forsaken Lover
06-23-2009, 09:29 AM
I've been planning to play FFI-VI for years and before I actually look for cersions of them, I got a couple questions...

1. Weren't all six of them released on the original Playstation?
2. I heard a bit about this in regards to FFVI but apparently one of its re-releases featured a somewhat redone script. Do any of the other games have this?
Also are the script changes for better or worse as I've heard differing accounts on that.

Medi
06-23-2009, 09:35 AM
1. I&II were released as Origins on PSX, IV as Chronicles (w/Chrono Trigger), V&VI as Anthology. III was never released on the PSX as far as I know - only on Nintendo DS.

2. The awesome script changes mostly pertained to the GBA re-releases those games, I believe. As for the PSX scripts, it's been at least six years since I played those versions, so I haven't the foggiest idea. :eep:

blackmage_nuke
06-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Final Fantasy I and II were remade for the playstation, IV,V and VI were ported to the Playstation so there are little differences between the PS versions for IV to VI besides loading times and a few names. tTo my knowledge III was only officially released for the DS in english.

There are reworked scripts for FFVI GBA but im not sure about the rest, there is also a remake FFI and II for GBA, but there isnt much of a script in those games anyway to make a real difference. Also I personally found the FFVI Snes and PS translation to be a bit less cliche'd and more elegant than the GBA versions.

Wolf Kanno
06-23-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm only going to touch on the scripts cause everyone seems to have the first question covered.

The PSX versions only have slight translation differences from their SNES counterparts. IV having the biggest change and V somehow retaining its original never released script back when it was planned as Final Fantasy Extreme for the SNES. VI is mostly the same except for about one or two lines seem to have been changed for no reason. These games suffer from sluggish load times but gained some pretty epic full CG opening and endings.

The GBA games have some variation of the audio and battle backgrounds but if you never played the originals or don't care, you won't notice except for the music cause it just doesn't come out as strong from a handheld...

The scripts for these games are of much better quality than the PSX/SNES version imo. Items and abilities are translated back to their somewhat original names and the script does much more to flesh out the characters and the plot than the originals, though the original PSX/SNES does have a few classic lines... Still, I find the PSX/SNES scripts suffer from some rush jobs and sometimes the dialogue doesn't make it clear what's really going on. Faris is also reduced to being a stereotypical pirate from SpongeBob so the GBA script removing her incessant "Argh" she feels obligated to finish her sentences with in the PSX version is definetly for the better.

VI was the only game in the bunch that got a bit of editing due to all the scandals in the world news about torture going on at the time; so a scene where Celes is being beaten by guards is removed for stupid reasons. FFIV also was toned down in difficulty and is ridiculously easy compared to its PSX and DS counterparts.

FFIII is only on the DS and its pretty epic for an NES game. Its changes from the original outside of being in 3D, are new quests connected to the obnoxious Mognet/Wi-Fi feature SE felt obligated to get which opens up the best weapons, the most broken job class, an optional dungeon and boss. Other changes include, new jobs were added and others are retooled (Ninja and Sage were nerfed while other classes got a boost), the four nameless main characters now have names and minor backstories and a few extra features like the ability to talk to guest characters. Its a fine game so don't be swayed by FFIII elitist who tell you otherwise, though I'd still try to emulate the original if you get the chance.

The only thing I feel the need to mention is FFIV is also remade on the DS which still features a strong translation/localization but retains the original difficulty of the title. It has cutscenes and dialogue and load of cool features plus a few new scenes that tie up a few loose ends in the plot. Though it doesn't have any of the new features from the GBA version (new optional dungeon, ability to switch party members at end game) It is also pretty damn good despite what FFIV purist will tell you...

Forsaken Lover
06-24-2009, 12:36 AM
Well IV is the one I have the most interest in at the moment. So whichever game will give me the best story told is the one I want.
From the sounds of it, GBA and DS tell it better than PSX or SNES.....

Garnie
06-24-2009, 12:39 AM
I found many years ago FFI on the game boy! i always thought that the Final Fantasy's were made for Nintendo, until VII came along that is, then they just remade them.

Wolf Kanno
06-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Well IV is the one I have the most interest in at the moment. So whichever game will give me the best story told is the one I want.
From the sounds of it, GBA and DS tell it better than PSX or SNES.....

They do. The SNES version has major editing and its plot was kinda dumbed-down in the localization and translation process. The PSX version returns all the content but little effort was made into making a better translation or localization so despite having a more serious story it still feels like its being told in a way a four year old can understand. The DS and GBA versions have the best versions of the story.

Wolfen
06-24-2009, 07:39 PM
If only there was a way to play the Japanese SNES versions of 4 thru 6 with the GBA script.

And in I and II's case, I wish there was a way to play the GBA version with the PSX difficulty.

Wolf Kanno
06-24-2009, 07:50 PM
I feel the PSX version is only difficult cause it retains the original combat system, even with the price cuts from playing on easy mode, you're still looking at a bit of grinding to keep your party up to date on equipment and spells. I personally see little problem with the PSX versions as they don't have noticeable load times and they also get the kickass fans sections that lets you unlock artwork for the games. :D

ReloadPsi
06-24-2009, 09:05 PM
This depends on whether you plan on downloading ROMs* or buying the actual games.

If you're set on buying the games, I suggest you get a DS (not a DSi!) and get all six games for that; all but FF3 were ported to GBA, and FF3 and 4 were remade for the DS. As for which version of FF4 you play (GBA or DS) that's up to you.

*ReloadPsi does not necessarily have any particular point of view on this issue :P

Forsaken Lover
06-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks, WK. And what about the other FFs? Are their plots or scripts weakeneed by their PSX version?

Also, I can't play a DS. My eyesight is too bad for such a small screen. Same for the GBA. My only real option it seems is the PSX versions or just to find Emulators of the GBA version.

Wolf Kanno
06-24-2009, 10:22 PM
Thanks, WK. And what about the other FFs? Are their plots or scripts weakeneed by their PSX version?

Also, I can't play a DS. My eyesight is too bad for such a small screen. Same for the GBA. My only real option it seems is the PSX versions or just to find Emulators of the GBA version.

Depends on who you ask.

Most would agree that the GBA script is way superior to the PSX script of FFV. The PSX versions seems to be using the scrapped Nintendo script for the game back when it was planned to be released in the U.S. originally. Personalities are subdued and the game falls into campy cliches and poor translations that make the game a bit hard to follow at times.

The GBA script fixes all of this and does a much better job of emphasizing the casts distinct personalities. Faris talks like a cliched TV pirate in the PSX version whereas the GBA version has her being serious, intelligent, and pretty damn macho. Still, the game is pretty damn funny in both versions but the GBA does a better job presenting a clear storyline and human characters while the PSX version sometimes feels like a Saturday morning cartoon show.

VI... depends entirely on who you ask. I feel the GBA version does for VI what it did for IV and V. Bringing better characterization of the cast, makes the plot easier to follow and adds a level of maturity to the whole thing to make it feel really epic. Yes they modify a lot of the wonderful lines from the Woosley script but I felt the GBA version added a lot of depth to everything and I was surprised how many characters seem to change between the scripts. Especially Kefka who comes off more calculating and sinister in the GBA script than the originals. The only downside of the GBA version is that they removed a scene where you first meet Celes cause she's being tortured by guards. On the other hand, the rest of the stuff that was changed or edited in the SNES/PSX version are restored to their original meanings (Sex and drugs woot!) instead of being half assed covered up for the Nintendo family friendly censorship. :roll2

Still, there are those who feel the GBA script strips the game of its fun charm and would prefer to stick with the SNES/PSX version of the script. It really did have some fun and wonderful lines.

Forsaken Lover
06-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Fair enough. Maybe I'll just get both versions to compare and judge for myself which I prefer.

Thanks again, Wolf.