PDA

View Full Version : Reality TV for Smart People

Laddy
06-24-2009, 10:33 AM
It seems for every Hills,there is an Amazing Race, for every A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila, there's a Mole.

It seems like Reality TV is hurting itself, there is so many obviously contrived and ridiculous television shows, which is putting smarter, better, reality shows to shame.

So, what reality shows, if any, do you like, because they are smarter.

I like Survivor, not the whole 'Drama Island' Survivor, the social strategy Survivor. Survivor is like two shows, one part is the Real World-esque stupid crap where the 'likable and strong' are deserving. I'm into the Mafia-esque social strategic game. Survivor can be for smart people, but its overshadowed by the not-so-great players.

I like Amazing Race, as well. It involves culture and travel skills.

So, what reality shows do you legitamately like for real reasons as opposed for a guilty pleasure?

Medi
06-24-2009, 10:41 AM
I like The Biggest Loser. It's not really "smarter" as ya put it, but it's pretty motivational, albeit there's blatant product placement, but at least the products are more beneficial than anything else. It's something, eh?

I also find the grand majority of reality TV to be deeply disturbing. :yuck:

Heath
06-24-2009, 10:56 AM
I genuinely quite like The Apprentice and Dragon's Den. Not quite sure if the latter counts as reality television, but I find it genuinely interesting and enjoyable to watch. Otherwise I'm not a fan of the genre and those two programmes are the only ones I actually watch.

Garnie
06-24-2009, 11:16 AM
The apprentice is good and so is Gordan Ramsey kitchen nightmares (especially the USA version)
everything else sux in comparison. ESPECIALLY BIG BROTHER!!
Used to be very good now it just hurts my eyes.

Levian
06-24-2009, 02:27 PM
The Mole, easily. I've watched all US, UK and Norwegian seasons. I've also watched 4/5 Australian seasons. Now I'm trying to find the latest Swedish and latest Australian ones, but I'm not having much luck.

Momiji
06-24-2009, 02:38 PM
This thread is an oxymoron in my opinion, as I've yet to come across an intelligent reality television program.

Couldn't have said that any better.

That being said, I'll watch Hell's Kitchen when it's on.

Rye
06-24-2009, 02:40 PM
The Mole, when it first came to the US, was my obsession. It was the BEST show ever. I miss it. :(

Jon & Kate, back when it originally started, when they were still living a pretty humble life, Jon working, small house, I really enjoyed it. It seemed smart to me. And now... well... yeah.

There's a new show with two little people on TLC, a couple, that I really like. They're interesting. I hope they don't divorce though. Every couple that goes on reality TV has divorced, except for the Osbournes.

I don't really like reality TV like that so much, anyway. I really love the shows like What Not To Wear and Say Yes to the Dress much more. Bridezilla is my ultimate guilty pleasure.

Kirobaito
06-24-2009, 02:43 PM
The Mole, definitely. I've watched all the US seasons and 2 Australian ones.

Levian
06-24-2009, 02:45 PM
The Mole, when it first came to the US, was my obsession. It was the BEST show ever. I miss it. :(

All Mole seasons except for the 5th US and the 5th Australian ones are on youtube. :D

Also, anyone who liked the mole series should check out Murder in Small Town X. There was only one season of that one, but it was pretty cool, like a long interactive CSI episode.

Yar
06-24-2009, 03:08 PM
What's so bad about any of the Surreal Life spinoffs? :mad2:

daggertrepe
06-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Australia's Next Top Model is WAY better and more reputable than America's Next Top Model will ever be. Australia's Next Top Model produced Alice Burdeu. Who has America produced? No one. Ausntm is also in the works of producing Cassi Van Den Dungen, who's going to be huge!

So yeah. That's smart to me!

Dynast-Kid
06-24-2009, 10:09 PM
I love reality shows! Some of my favorites are:
Project Runway
Real World (Cancun starts tonight, but it looks like a bad season)
Real Housewives of...
Paris Hilton's My New BFF~
I Love Money
Big Brother
The Bad Girls Club
America's Next Top Model (seen EVERY EPISODE)
Solitary
Keeping Up With the Kardashians~

Also, I just Wikipedia'd The Mole. It looks really interesting!

Jon & Kate, back when it originally started, when they were still living a pretty humble life, Jon working, small house, I really enjoyed it. It seemed smart to me. And now... well... yeah.

Yes.

...What Not To Wear...

YES! I swear I have the biggest man crush on Clinton Kelly! :bigsmile:

Jojee
06-24-2009, 10:34 PM
For a moment I thought this said "Reality TV for Short People" and I got really excited. :p

All the ones I've watched are guilty pleasures and not for any sort of intelligence factor.

Shlup
06-24-2009, 10:35 PM
The only reality show I watch is Jon & Kate Plus 8. It's been depressing lately but I think it'll get better now that they announced their divorce and can quit being dickfaces to each other. At the end of the last episode they were really putting effort into being civil in front of the children and it was nice.

Araciel
06-24-2009, 10:50 PM
I don't like reality tv, but I wouldn't say it's for stupid people...people like what they like.

Miriel
06-24-2009, 10:55 PM
SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE!

It's the only reality tv show I've ever seen where I feel as though I've witnessed actual genius. If you ever see one of the dances that Wade Robson or Mia Michaels choreographs for the show, it's easy to see that it takes an extraordinary mind to conceive of human movement the way they do. It's awe-inspiring to watch.

Sometimes I think SYTYCD isn't as popular a show just because I don't think most people watching it are aware of the astounding talent that they're witnessing. When I watch the show with non-dancers, the reaction is always "well that was pretty cool" and when I watch the show with dancers, the reaction is always, "Holy :bou::bou::bou::bou:. smurf. God DAMN!" I'm so in awe of the dancers on the show. Their talent is really inspirational to me.

This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oKffaDRIRE) audition for the current season of SYTYCD left me with my jaw on the floor. Wow.

Dynast-Kid
06-24-2009, 11:02 PM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oKffaDRIRE) audition for the current season of SYTYCD left me with my jaw on the floor. Wow.

Well that was pretty cool. :bigsmile:

LunarWeaver
06-24-2009, 11:29 PM
I love SYTYCD as well :bigsmile: A lot of it is unique and just fun to watch. I love Wade's stuff a lot. Watching his Good vs. Evil type dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_DJGPnQ5gc) on YouTube is what made me check out the show in the first place.

That's it for me. No other reality shows. I've had to watch episodes here and there of some, but they were boring. Oh MTV, what have you become...

Shlup
06-24-2009, 11:54 PM

Well that was pretty cool. :bigsmile:

Yeah, that guy makes having Absolute Body Control look easy.

I like SYTYCD but I never catch it on TV.

Laddy
06-25-2009, 01:55 AM

All Mole seasons except for the 5th US and the 5th Australian ones are on youtube. :D

Also, anyone who liked the mole series should check out Murder in Small Town X. There was only one season of that one, but it was pretty cool, like a long interactive CSI episode.
Murder In Small Town X was awesome, but the winner died in 9/11 (firefighter) before he collected his prize. Goddamn was that depressing.

Madame Adequate
06-25-2009, 02:31 AM
Every couple that goes on reality TV has divorced, except for the Osbournes.

Sharon wouldn't take any bull:bou::bou::bou::bou: to let it get that far, and Ozzy's too permacoked to care anyway :jess:

Big D
06-25-2009, 07:58 AM
Folks from NZ might remember something called Krypton Factor, basically a gameshow but it'd be called a reality show if it aired today. First half: tests of intelligence, cunning, ingenuity, wits and knowledge. Puzzles, quizzes, practical and lateral-thinking exercises. Second half: an army training obstacle course. A great mix of mental and physical challenges, great show really.

Breine
06-25-2009, 10:27 PM
I think Project Runway is a good and very well-produced show.

Also, So You Think You Can Dance is pretty good. I'm such a wannabe dancer xD

drotato
06-25-2009, 10:38 PM
Hm... I really loved Jon and Kate when they first started, but other than that, I've not really seen any "smart" reality shows. D:

black orb
06-25-2009, 10:57 PM
>>> I used to watch The Apprentice, but i got bored quicky..