PDA

View Full Version : Character Spotlight: Auron

Unstoppable Pig
06-24-2009, 03:01 PM
He is the masterless samurai who likes booze and doesnīt waste time talking bull:bou::bou::bou::bou:. Thatīs the character I like.

Auron is actually my favorite character in FFX, his story is interesting, he is useful in fights and yeah I like his way of not talking something else than you should in the moment. I mean come on, kill the bad guys then start asking stupid questions when you have time for it.

So what do you think about Auron? Oh I also like him very much in KHII, best of FF characters in that game.

Fuzakeru
06-24-2009, 04:28 PM
I always saw him as the cool, father type that doesn't give out hugs unless you're battered and bruised and did something worthwhile but that hug means just that much more because of its rarity. I connected with that really easy and loved Auron so much for it. n_n

fire_of_avalon
06-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Auron is also my favorite FFX character. I like his attitude and his dedication to his cause.

Garnie
06-24-2009, 05:08 PM
He makes me giggle, he so in this season!

Jiro
06-25-2009, 07:14 AM
Auron seems to be the epitome of badass. I found his role within the story to be quite interesting too. He always gives the impression that he knows more than everyone else, and that mysteriousness coupled with the authority everyone in Spira gives him makes him awesome.

And I liked how he used a big sword in fights :D

Skyblade
06-25-2009, 07:25 AM
Auron is, in my opinion, the best character in Final Fantasy. His motivations and personality are gloriously developed and portrayed. His manner is calm and collected, which in itself is not that unique, but he pulled it off much better than most characters. You get the feeling that he actually is a level-headed mature warrior, rather than just a wannabe. Yet, even then, he has his softer side, and his sense of humor, as we see in some of his comments when the party is relaxing in inns. He's the prime motivator behind FFX's events, having guided Tidus and Yuna the entire journey to avenge Braska and break the cycle that Braska, Jecht, and he had tried to break ten years ago in vain.

His character design portraying him as the ronin is also brilliant. He failed his master, and watched him die, and then failed to avenge him. He is constantly seeking to atone, and protects Yuna and Tidus because of that. After his friends died pointlessly, he is unwilling to accept the cycle of death, even when it tries to claim him. He fights on past death to fulfill his promises and avenge his friends.

There's a reason everyone in Spira looks up to Auron as a godly hero. Because he is one.

Pete for President
06-25-2009, 09:39 AM
I think the greatest thing about Auron isn't just his bad-ass-ness, but you also get to know his "foolish" version from when he was younger. That's such a different Auron. It gives a real sense of character development.

killiancurse21
06-25-2009, 12:07 PM
In terms of storyline? Awesome.
In terms of gameplay functionality? Fail. The only thing he's really useful for is Banishing Blade, and occasionally Shooting Star.

Skyblade
06-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Actually, Auron is probably one of the best characters, gameplay wise. His Break abilities are extremely useful, and with Banishing Blade he can inflict them all at once. He's also the character who is best suited for taking out armored enemies, as his strength is better than Khimari's. Furthermore, he has one of the most useful Celestial Weapons out there. It guarantees that he moves first, and that is a very useful ability. Even enemies like Great Marlboros who always get the jump on the party and unleash Bad Breath won't be able to attack until after Auron moves, and Auron can one hit pretty much anything he comes across. Shooting Star wipes out essentially any non-boss. Banishing Blade cripples any enemy who is immune to Shooting Star. And Tornado destroys entire groups. Triple Overdrive and the Slayer Overdrive Mode means that killing two enemies will max out his Overdrive bar again. Combined with Tornado and his sword's guarantee to move first, this means that Auron can wipe out nearly any random mob group without being touched, and he'll keep a full overdrive the entire way.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Auron seems to be the epitome of badass. I found his role within the story to be quite interesting too. He always gives the impression that he knows more than everyone else, and that mysteriousness coupled with the authority everyone in Spira gives him makes him awesome.

And I liked how he used a big sword in fights :D

That's pretty much the most badass truth I've heard all week.

Depression Moon
06-26-2009, 04:26 AM
His was a great character in terms of the story and usefullness. Strong independent looked upon, wise. Best knight out of the series.

killiancurse21
06-26-2009, 07:57 AM
Actually, Auron is probably one of the best characters, gameplay wise. His Break abilities are extremely useful, and with Banishing Blade he can inflict them all at once. He's also the character who is best suited for taking out armored enemies, as his strength is better than Khimari's. Furthermore, he has one of the most useful Celestial Weapons out there. It guarantees that he moves first, and that is a very useful ability. Even enemies like Great Marlboros who always get the jump on the party and unleash Bad Breath won't be able to attack until after Auron moves, and Auron can one hit pretty much anything he comes across. Shooting Star wipes out essentially any non-boss. Banishing Blade cripples any enemy who is immune to Shooting Star. And Tornado destroys entire groups. Triple Overdrive and the Slayer Overdrive Mode means that killing two enemies will max out his Overdrive bar again. Combined with Tornado and his sword's guarantee to move first, this means that Auron can wipe out nearly any random mob group without being touched, and he'll keep a full overdrive the entire way.

Maybe so in theory, but in practice, he just doesn't cut it as well.
Anyone can equip First Strike weapons, and there is very little advantage in having it on a celestial weapon - the only enemy fast enough for this to make a noticable difference between simply equipping it then changing weapon on the first turn, is Dark Shiva. It's really a waste of a slot. Also consider his celestial only has Counterattack, not Evade & Counter. Sure, most superbosses this doesn't matter anyway, but when you're using the weapons at low levels, this puts him at a huge disadvantage, especially considering his already low Evasion. Shooting Star is good against some random encounter fiends when you're low level. His break skills, while useful during the storyline, aren't as useful once you start on sidequests - anything worth using them on, if not immune, has very high resistance that makes it hard to inflict with skills - Banishing Blade remains useful as long as they aren't completely immune, though, as it ignores any partial immunity.

The Space Pope
07-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Auron was your typical loner badass that used a big sword. There's nothing really too original about him save for that fact that he was dead the whole time.

That being said, I did like him more than all the other characters, but I could say the same thing about testicular cancer.

guffman
07-26-2009, 04:14 AM
my sig speaks for me.

Mestre ninja X
08-17-2009, 04:32 AM
Auron is the most wise Character in FF series , his existance reflected a lot in my life

Dante WolfWood
08-17-2009, 04:43 AM
in terms of people with big swords:

Auron > Cloud/sephiroth any day.