PDA

View Full Version : Mental Note: Don't piss off Japanese children...

Wolf Kanno
06-25-2009, 09:49 AM
I'm not quite sure where to put this but this seemed liked the best forum for such a question.

So I've been playing through Revelations: Persona (Persona 1 for the uninitiated) and have gotten fairly far into the game when it suddenly dawned on me that the plot line seemed very familiar...

Its plot is very similar to Silent Hill 1, the general premise being of a young girl who screws up time and space, through some form of trauma that gave her psychic powers, and releases the denizens of hell upon a populated area. The girls themselves suffer from a split personality in which there are a good version and a bad version as well as the real version. Now of course the plots become fairly independent from each other from there on but it just seemed odd that two games that were released not terribly far apart from each other would use a similar plot premise by coincidence.

My theory is that both games are referencing some classic Japanese horror film and I was curious to know if anyone could think of a movie that features psychic girls transforming towns into demon infested nightmares while struggling to place back their fractured mind together.

Also... What's your favorite horror film or what not for people who want to participate without helping...

NeoCracker
06-25-2009, 10:32 AM
Horror films bore me.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-25-2009, 11:00 AM
My theory is that both games are referencing some classic Japanese horror film and I was curious to know if anyone could think of a movie that features psychic girls transforming towns into demon infested nightmares while struggling to place back their fractured mind together.

They're not Japanese (or films, originally), but works like <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Midwich_Cuckoos">The Midwich Cuckoos</a> and <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrie_(novel)">Carrie</a> (among others) are probably owed no small amount of credit for popularizing these devices.