PDA

View Full Version : Grand Theft Auto III

Forsaken Lover
06-27-2009, 02:35 AM
As someoen else on another forum said:

Always remember that this was the game that changed everything. It introduced a new genre to games and it was such a blast to play with it's non-linear approach and sandbox gameplay that there was nothing else like it and it was FUN!

Everyone remembers where they were when they first saw or played it. That's how much of an impact it had. Everyone remembers skipping school or work and spending hour after hour shooting and driving and running over hopeless pedestrians.

GTA3 is often overlooked these days because Vice City and San Andreas and now GTAIV added so many new features. But GTA3 is just as revolutionary and important to gaming history as Super Mario Bros. 3 or whichever Sonic game was supposed to be important.

It was pure fun and will always be so.

Finally..David Hayter says it's his favorite game ever. So who can argue with that? (J/K(

Meat Puppet
06-27-2009, 02:51 AM
Who’s forgotten GTA 3? Nobody I know has.

Forsaken Lover
06-27-2009, 03:06 AM
Who said they forgot it? I said people didn't appreciate it. This is, in my expereince, true. All people do is complain about how you can't walk into buildings or shoot out tires or that kind of crap.

Madame Adequate
06-27-2009, 03:08 AM
I haven't ever heard anyone making such complaints about GTA III. It is pretty much universally regarded as one of the most important games of the last decade, an all-time classic, and one which invented and defined the sandbox genre.

Psychotic
06-27-2009, 03:12 AM
When I played it after playing the likes of Vice City and San Andreas, well, it felt like coming home from a vacation. GTA III was, in my opinion, the game that defined the last generation, and launched the GTA franchise from some two-bit operation which nobody really cared about (although I sure did!) to the global heavyweight it is today.

LunarWeaver
06-27-2009, 03:27 AM
I really hated GTAIII, but that's not because it was bad. Just not my kind of deal, it seems. I can certainly appreciate its place in gaming history and its fame all the same. I feel it is just as important as Barbie Horse Adventures: Riding Camp.

Depression Moon
06-27-2009, 03:40 AM
Yeah three is important in gaming history. It practically created the sandbox genre. If it wasn't for GTA there would've been no Crackdown, Saints Row, True Crime, Prototype, Infamous, and many others. I've yet to try 4 though. San Andreas takes a ridiculous amount of time to complete. I think the world might've been a bit too large in that game.

theundeadhero
06-27-2009, 09:42 AM
I have no idea where I was when I first played GTA3. I never skipped hours of school or anything to play the game. What I do remember is years before downloaded a free copy of GTA1 demo on my computer and then putting a hack into it that got rid of the demo-added time limit. GTA1 was far more influential to me than any other GTA put together.

Forsaken Lover
06-27-2009, 04:30 PM
You're an exception then, not the rule.

Vermachtnis
06-27-2009, 04:40 PM
I liked the little Easter Eggs in the game. Like the sign that read "You're not suppose to get here." or something along those lines. It was a fun game.

Madame Adequate
06-27-2009, 04:52 PM
When I played it after playing the likes of Vice City and San Andreas, well, it felt like coming home from a vacation. GTA III was, in my opinion, the game that defined the last generation, and launched the GTA franchise from some two-bit operation which nobody really cared about (although I sure did!) to the global heavyweight it is today.

III had its own feel and atmosphere which I've not felt in any other game. Vice City and San Andreas are epic and amazingly good games, but they had their own vibes. IV has a different tone again. There's just something about driving up the hill to the Bistro, under the railway, in the rain, everything grey and dull, that's evocative for me. I'm not saying it's better, but it was unique, and I appreciate that to this day.

Timekeeper
06-28-2009, 02:24 PM
I have no idea where I was when I first played GTA3. I never skipped hours of school or anything to play the game. What I do remember is years before downloaded a free copy of GTA1 demo on my computer and then putting a hack into it that got rid of the demo-added time limit. GTA1 was far more influential to me than any other GTA put together.

I actually agree with this. I don't recall first playing GTA3, but I certainly remember going to my cousins house to play GTA1 on his PS1. The highlight was definitely hijacking a bus, using it to block the cars street and then causing maximum damage when it was blown up.

theundeadhero
06-28-2009, 06:42 PM
I liked using the broken ramp to jump over the river in fuel tankers.

Psychotic
06-28-2009, 07:02 PM
My favourite thing about the original GTA was driving fult tilt at the ocean with the cops on my tail, then do a sharp turn at the edge. They'd always go into the drink. Also, GOURANGA!

FantasysWind
06-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Part 3 was badass, i have yet to play 4. Waiting for the right time. lol

Shattered Dreamer
06-28-2009, 11:44 PM
GTAIII is an awesome game. To me its the hardest of the GTA series to finish without cheating. As much as I liked Vice City,San Andreas, Liberty City Stories,Vice City Stories & GTAIV, GTAIII is on of my favorite games ever. I may even venture to say I'd mention it in the same breath as any of the Final Fantasy games.

Quindiana Jones
06-29-2009, 02:06 PM
GTA2. Cheats. Awesome.

Downhill from there. That's not as bad as it sounds though. Probably the second best game relative to the 3D GTAs is kinda like Brent Knoll to GTAs Everest.

I always though GTA4 was a massive let down. I have completed all the GTAs except that one. It doesn't seem to hook as well as the rest of the series has. Also, I don't know what the stupid tossers were thinking when they made it. "Hmm...ever think we're a little too sandboxy?" "Yeah, let's take out the ridiculous and just make a normal game". Yeah, because that's why I buy GTAs. They're so wonderfully normal.

Madame Adequate
06-29-2009, 03:01 PM
My favourite thing about the original GTA was driving fult tilt at the ocean with the cops on my tail, then do a sharp turn at the edge. They'd always go into the drink. Also, GOURANGA!

Gouranga was the second-greatest. (The greatest was the hot dog mission for the Russian Mafia in GTA 2)

I always though GTA4 was a massive let down. I have completed all the GTAs except that one. It doesn't seem to hook as well as the rest of the series has. Also, I don't know what the stupid tossers were thinking when they made it. "Hmm...ever think we're a little too sandboxy?" "Yeah, let's take out the ridiculous and just make a normal game". Yeah, because that's why I buy GTAs. They're so wonderfully normal.

I don't feel that it was a let down, but I do sympathize and agree with this complaint. They really could have done with more silly buggery. Even so though, compared to base jumping, jetpacks, and becoming a fat man with an afro, GTA III wasn't exactly balls-out insane most of the time. I have hopes that they'll move towards greater silliness with the next ones. (They've already done a small step that way with TLAD, it had a lot more crazy shooty fun. Infinite ammo autoshotty? Mmmm!)
Reiterating the call for GTA set in about 2036. wtb GTA Syndicate Wars (with RFG's geo-mod) will sell firstborn son.

Quindiana Jones
06-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Although I think 4 was a massive let down, I should point out the Everest illustration. 4 is still pretty big compared to Brent Knoll, and I did enjoy the game. I should also point out that I borrowed the game and it was taken back by my friend before I finished it. The letdowniness is shown by the fact that I didn't go out and buy it myself, which I would have done for any of the others.

Having said that, it's probably pretty cheap now and all this talk has me gagging to play it again. Damn you, EoFF.

Psychotic
06-29-2009, 03:17 PM
GTA IV wasn't as good as San Andreas, although Lost and the Damned sure made up for a lot of things. I do think the hype train hit it incredibly hard. Still, overall, I do think Saints Row 2 is the superior crime city sandbox for this generation so far. It's an overlooked and underrated little gem.

Quindiana Jones
06-29-2009, 03:31 PM
The only downside to Saints Row 2 is the ridiculous cockney accent. What the fuck? That's not even cockney cockney, that's just "what the hell does cockney sound like?" "I dunno, let's assume this" cockney. I had to be Hispanic just because he's the only guy who sounds English. Good God he looked cool though.

I would still be playing San Andreas if it weren't for the fact that every single disc in existence is scratched. Do San Andreas players practice their ice skating on their game discs or something? I went back and forth 7 times, each with a new copy, when I rebought the game a few months ago. Then I got into the last area and it glitched and died. If anyone has a clean disc, I'll give you my freaking arm for it.

On the topic of 3: best ending ever? Yeah. BANG.

Psychotic
06-29-2009, 03:42 PM
The cockney accent is AWESOME. :colbert:

You can just download San Andreas from Xbox Live in the Originals section if you want it, you know.

As for III's ending? My god yes, it was fucking awesome. I went to all that trouble to save some bitch and...aw fuck it, I'll kill her too.

Quindiana Jones
06-29-2009, 04:06 PM
The cockney accent is AWESOME. :colbert:

The only thing more wrong than this is your face.

Hot piss. I totally forgot I was on Live now. Huzzah!

I like how she is still on the radio afterwards. :)