PDA

View Full Version : The New Summons System

Skyblade
06-27-2009, 05:50 AM
So, summons are now tied to specific characters. Each l'Cie has the ability to learn to summon a unique monster as they unlock their powers (won't be availible when you first get them, only as they progress through the story). We know that Snow has Shiva, and now it is revealed (in Playstation, the Official Magazine) that Lightning has Odin. Also, transformations will play throughout the summon system, so Shiva's motorbike form won't be the only one.

Apparently they're keeping FFXII's idea of summons lasting for a limited duration, and instead keeping them around until they take a certain amount of damage, so if you play things right, you can keep them around for much longer than they would remain in FFXII. The transformations require a new resource (TP, I think it was, don't quite remember, and information was deliberately vague on it) to trigger them, and they switch the combat from a semi-turn based into a more action oriented style.

So, how do you all think this system will work compared to those of the other FF games, and which summon do you think will be paired with the remaining characters (assuming they are all l'Cie, which is likely)?

qwertysaur
06-27-2009, 06:27 AM
Also Obera is confirmed to be connected to Carbuncle.

trancekuja
06-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Hm...I'm not sure how I feel about this...I'm sure that I don't like that summons are becoming Transformers

qwertysaur
06-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Also I have a strong feeling that ramuh (or another Lightning summon as square can't pick one) will be connected to Lightning as well as Ifrit being connected to Obera. (She is probably a representation of fire as Lightning is lightning ans Snow is Ice)

I wonder how Siren and Bahamut are going to come into play though. :p

Zerokku
06-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Hm...I'm not sure how I feel about this...I'm sure that I don't like that summons are becoming Transformers

This is what basically killed all my excitement for the game, seeing the shivabike. The design looks f'ing retarded, and totally immersion-breaking.

Northcrest
06-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Also I have a strong feeling that ramuh (or another Lightning summon as square can't pick one) will be connected to Lightning as well as Ifrit being connected to Obera. (She is probably a representation of fire as Lightning is lightning ans Snow is Ice)

i thought dat each person only got one summon? though i coukd be wrong since it was on wikipedia.

Vermachtnis
06-27-2009, 07:21 PM

I can see her having Ifrit too. It's the red hair :p

What about Leviathan, has anyone heard of him appearing yet? He's one of my favorites.

Wolf Kanno
06-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Its confirmed by the staff, to be one summon per character though its plausible to cheat like Snowe who has two since Shiva is now a pair of twins.

Vanille is rumored to have Carbunkle and I'm making bets that Sahz has Ifrit.

I get the odd feeling Bahamut might be special... I'm still in the belief all the summons will combine to form Voltr... I mean Bahamut. :p

Siren is probably for an unconfirmed character. I wouldn't be surprised if some fan favorite summons are also villain exclusives now.

Vermachtnis
06-27-2009, 09:34 PM
I get the odd feeling Bahamut might be special... I'm still in the belief all the summons will combine to form Voltr... I mean Bahamut. :p

That's be interesting. Special Summons by combining the ones in your party. Like Dual and Triple Techs from Chrono Trigger :bounce:

Siren is probably for an unconfirmed character. I wouldn't be surprised if some fan favorite summons are also villain exclusives now.

That sounds like fun too. You don't fight enough summoners in these games.

FFIX Choco Boy
06-29-2009, 02:49 AM

GO VOLTROMUT GO!

Pete for President
06-29-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't know why, but I have a feeling there might be some Anima-ish creature as a summon ;o. It's based on nothing though.

Comet
06-30-2009, 07:43 PM
The girl's name is Oerba, not Obera.

Wolf Kanno
07-01-2009, 08:37 AM
:bounce: Obera Obera Obera Obera Obera Oerba Obera Obera Obera Obera Obera :bounce:

Fynn
07-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Sazh has to have Ifrit. It SO fits him! :bounce:
About Siren - I recall a design of her that I once saw and a thought crossed my mind... The kid from the E3 trailer! Whoever he is, I think Siren is the most likely to be his summon (even though we don't yet know who he is or wether he'll even be in the party!).

Tuhkasieni
07-01-2009, 04:47 PM
I never used summons in FFXII.
I think FF is becoming more and more complicated, everytime something new shows up... i dont know if i can handle the system... i miss the old fashion FF series... :greenie:

MiloPro
07-01-2009, 04:55 PM
I hope the summons are actually useful.

Depression Moon
07-01-2009, 06:13 PM
I'll doubt siren will be in the game. Siren wasn't much of a useful summon and she hasn't been seen since VIII.

Fynn
07-01-2009, 06:26 PM
But there was this picture of her in one of the magazine scans up here... :(

Future Esthar
07-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Shaz will use Fat Chocobo.

I think the kid said to have Siren belongs to an antigovernment group lead by Snow.
But he is a supportive character.

Comet
07-04-2009, 02:37 AM
:bounce: Obera Obera Obera Obera Obera Oerba Obera Obera Obera Obera Obera :bounce:

Hilarious.

Fynn
07-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Shaz will use Fat Chocobo.

I think the kid said to have Siren belongs to an antigovernment group lead by Snow.
But he is a supportive character.

You mean the Naruto-like kid? No, no, I didn't mean him. I meant the one in the E3 trailer. The platinum-blonde one. He seems to be a member of the main cast...

Future Esthar
07-04-2009, 01:21 PM
I thought they were the same kid.
There are no kids on the main cast.
Unless you are talking about Snow which donīt look like a kid to me.

Wolf Kanno
07-04-2009, 07:07 PM
The whole cast hasn't been revealed and NORA is considered to be temporary since you never see them in any other scene in the trailers except what we see in the demo.

The Silver haired kid is new and has only been seen in the trailer. I find him to be like a whiny version of Larsa myself but to be fair, its cause the trailer chooses bad scenes for him. :roll2

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-04-2009, 08:19 PM
What about Leviathan, has anyone heard of him appearing yet? He's one of my favorites.

Leviathan would be awesome to have. :D

Future Esthar
07-04-2009, 08:37 PM
I allways thought that kid in the trailer was Maqui.And Godot also appear on the trailer.

qwertysaur
07-04-2009, 10:47 PM
The new kid in the trailer is not Maqui, they look completely different. Since Lightning says she can't protect him as well I assume he is also a l'cie.

It looks like NORA will remain temporary, at least Gadot.

It looks like there will be enemies with summons as well, seeing that there are many fal'cie and one might be hostile and create l'cie that the party fights. :p

Future Esthar
07-05-2009, 01:00 AM
Hello!!!.The kid who tell Snow that he must not handle fal'cie to the enemy is not Maqui?
And the guy who points a gun to Snow after Lightning jumps is not Gadot?
I am talking about another trailer maybe?
The link provided donīt work.
I thought you were talking about the E3 2009 trailer.

Fynn
07-05-2009, 10:38 AM
1. No, that's NOT Maqui. He looks completely different (for starters, Maqui has goggles). He is not a member of team NORA and seems to be a major character, so chances are he's a member of the main party.
2. Yes, that's Gadot, but this has nothing to do with the kid. He's from team NORA, and as far as we know, they're temporary characters (hopefully).
3. Yes, we're talking about the same trailer here.

EDIT!

Here are two articles from FFWiki. This (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Maqui) is an article about Maqui, along with pictures, while here (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/L%27Cie) is an article about l'Cie where it clearly says that the kid (seen on the screen) is an l'Cie and is stil unnamed (which confirms he is not Maqui)...

G13
07-05-2009, 11:13 AM
I never used summons in FFXII.
I think FF is becoming more and more complicated, everytime something new shows up... i dont know if i can handle the system... i miss the old fashion FF series... :greenie:

You and me both brudda!

sir helix
07-07-2009, 12:08 AM
transformations.... the shiva bike i can see the usfullness of it, but carbuncle has been verified as a cd played thing. what could be its function i wonder...... maby.... just maby.... its a super duper polka machine that makes the enemys run in terror hahahahahahahaha

qwertysaur
07-07-2009, 12:19 AM
transformations.... the shiva bike i can see the usfullness of it, but carbuncle has been verified as a cd played thing. what could be its function i wonder...... maby.... just maby.... its a super duper polka machine that makes the enemys run in terror hahahahahahahaha
Maybe it will act like a boomerang in Zelda. Throw to hit a far off switch :p

Pete for President
07-07-2009, 09:13 AM

If I recall correctly there was at least one FF using music/dance to inflict status ailments, so it's not really such a bad idea I guess ;p

Fynn
07-08-2009, 10:17 AM
But that's Siren! Carbuncle causes reflect... This way, a music payer is a bit inapropriate. It makes even less sense with Oerba's tribal outfit...

sir helix
07-08-2009, 06:18 PM
the whole carbuncle thing is a lil out there i guess we wait on the subject.

Sword
07-12-2009, 09:59 PM
This sounds like transformers. Will summonable tonberrys/cactuars/moogles turn into CDs to put into Carbuncle then? lol.

I think this aspect of the summons is utter rubbish and could potentially ruin FF13 for me :(

Jiro
07-13-2009, 11:21 AM
The transformations thing had best have no part in battle. I would prefer them to be cool action scenes and that's that. But then, people are going to whine on both sides anyway.

Wolf Kanno
07-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Hate to break it to you but they do have a part in battle. The controls switch to an input screen and the faster you mash in commands the more wheelies Snowe on the Shiva-Bike does on enemy heads from what I've heard. It almost sounds like it replaces the usual Overdrive/Special attack of the summons for this game...

Sword
07-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Hate to break it to you but they do have a part in battle. The controls switch to an input screen and the faster you mash in commands the more wheelies Snowe on the Shiva-Bike does on enemy heads from what I've heard. It almost sounds like it replaces the usual Overdrive/Special attack of the summons for this game...

You're kidding. Oh my god, this is the worst thing I've ever heard. AARGH!! :mad2:

Wolf Kanno
07-13-2009, 10:01 PM
There is no confirmation of whether the summons will have a traditional "cinematic attack" but it has been confirmed that "vehicle mode" plays a part in battle. Inputting commands has Snowe utilizing different attacks for the Shiva Bike summon. The system sounds similar to Zell's limit break from VIII

Fynn
07-14-2009, 12:20 AM
That doesn't sound too bad... But Carbuncle turning into a CD player is just not right :(

qwertysaur
07-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Carbuncle is not always limited to giving the reflect status. In IX it is able to give Reflect, Vanish, Shell or Haste depending on the gemstone Eiko equips, as well as Protect if the full animation takes place. In RW, Carbuncle is a healing esper.

Pete for President
08-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Found this (http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/img/gmw/docs/305/810/html/ff13_16.jpg.html) pic (http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/img/gmw/docs/305/810/html/ff13_16.jpg.html). But what could the transformation be?

roen
08-09-2009, 12:04 PM
most likely a car.

Rostum
08-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Found this (http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/img/gmw/docs/305/810/html/ff13_16.jpg.html) pic (http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/img/gmw/docs/305/810/html/ff13_16.jpg.html). But what could the transformation be?

A bobsled!

Pete for President
08-09-2009, 04:05 PM
most likely a car.

Then it would be an electric one.

Wolf Kanno
08-10-2009, 05:54 AM
Its Odin...I'm guessing it will turn into Sleipner (Odin's eight legged horse) especially when looking at the shield he uses, it looks a bit like a saddle...

Skyblade
08-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Except that Sleipnir is supposed to have eight legs... :grumble:

Wolf Kanno
08-11-2009, 08:36 PM
I fixed it for you. :p

Formalhaut
08-14-2009, 06:55 AM
Concerning Odin, I think it will turn into the horse.

Carbuncle looks quite cute, it being turned into a CD sounds wrong.

Finally, as long as theres one last cinematic attack, Ill be happy.

Pete for President
08-16-2009, 10:37 PM
According to several sites it has been confirmed that Odin indeed transforms into a horse. The names of his attacks are supposedly quite ridiculous. I found most of it here (http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/2009/08/14/new-final-fantasy-xiii-details-from-v-jump.html).