PDA

View Full Version : Phonetic Typing

rubah
06-27-2009, 08:52 PM
You know, sometimes I type very phonetically. Not like trying to sound out words to spell them, but as I phrase my posts in my head, and my fingers follow along, they'll hit the wrong letter or type the wrong word. But it's obviously not a typo. I'm not typing "bacj" or "bavk", but "bad". Somewhere between my fingers listening to what I'm saying in my head and them actually typing it out, they misheard what I thought. It's kinda creepy to think about your fingers being a separate entity from your mind. And I wish they could hear better.

(the <del>word</del> worst one is typing h instead of y or vice versa. AYAYAYAYAYA for example. There was an afternoon a few years ago where I could not stop typing y instead of h.)

~*~Celes~*~
06-28-2009, 12:09 AM
I do this too, sometimes. But not a lot, surprisingly :p

Heath
06-28-2009, 12:12 AM
I do this a lot. I used to be terrible at particularly terrible at mixing up 'know' and 'now' even though in my mind I was perfectly aware of the difference which one I intended to use.

Meat Puppet
06-28-2009, 04:30 AM
I do this with ridiculous frequency. Maybe every three words or so. I have to proof-read like a juggernaut, or else make myself look like even more of an idiot.

Not just typing, either; it’s with written word as well. :(

rubah
06-28-2009, 06:00 AM
the latest example:

bad -> pad

"that was a pad day for a test"

[edit- a new one

allie (rubylapiz)
dad says i was mumbling in my speech or something
aww
12:27:58
Stuart Miller (thetvtalkstome)
in your speech? xD
12:29:02
allie (rubylapiz)
sleep
argh]

FFIX Choco Boy
06-29-2009, 03:05 AM
I do it all the time. Only when I type, though. When I write I don't mess up much, for some reason. Also, if I hit the right key, but think I hit the wrong key, I will death stare at the letter I just typed trying to decide what to do with it...

Vyk
06-29-2009, 04:00 AM
Yeah its always creepier when its whole new words instead of just simple typos. Happens to me from time to time

rubah
07-01-2009, 06:39 AM
Apparently Randal Munroe has this problem too.
xkcd - A Webcomic - Qwertial Aphasia (http://xkcd.com/604/)

qwertysaur
07-01-2009, 06:42 AM
I once typed on a dvorak keyboard. :spin:

It looked kinda like this

dcoeifqmc cdwm dfsw vweufm wia erc.

ReloadPsi
07-01-2009, 09:37 AM
I recall using a German keyboard (already confusing) that had been reconfigured to a Slovakian character map (even more confusing). It took me about half an hour to type each email to my friends, each of which contained a short lament for how I couldn't find any of the punctuation, which naturally they found hilarious.

Old Manus
07-01-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm afraid I have no idea what any of you are talking about :confused:

Garnie
07-01-2009, 11:16 AM
im dyslexic

point made!

rubah
08-02-2009, 09:24 PM
I told you guys this happens.

&lt;hsu> fine, maybe I'll just take estrogen pills and grow my own boobs!
&lt;Bunny> you don't need estogen pills stu
&lt;Sagensyg> Fine, maybe I'll just go to the store and get some boob seeds and grow my own!
&lt;Bunny> i've seen prics
&lt;Bunny> pics
&lt;Bunny> the r from estrogen stowed away in my pics
&lt;Bunny> that bastard
&lt;rubah> poop seeds
&lt;rubah> boob seeds
&lt;rubah> god

Raistlin
08-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Sometimes I'll type a completely different word from what I intend. It's like my fingers have a mind of their own and they occasionally like to screw with me.

Shlup
08-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Sometimes I'll type a completely different word from what I intend. It's like my fingers have a mind of their own and they occasionally like to screw with me.

This is almost exactly what I was going to say. I hate you.

Raistlin
08-02-2009, 11:06 PM
See, you just did it there by typing "hate" instead of what you really mean.

Crimson
08-03-2009, 01:29 AM
I know how you feel man, it's like being Drunk and you think to yourself,

"Think i'll get something to eat" What blurts out = Think i'll get a drink

"Damn I better sober up and revise for that exam" = Think i'll get a drink

"Oh crap, oh ****, I just killed that guy, oh **** where's my phone, crap 999 ambulance crap crap"

= Think i'll get a drink

Laddy
08-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Tipeeng fonetiklee ees vari difecolt tu du.

blackmage_nuke
08-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Typing Fun-etically makes good puns sometimes

Jiro
08-09-2009, 09:06 AM
I nearly always switch the words done and down. It could probably make for some funny sentences though.